Jongin: Faith Shattered In A Memory

Call to the Sea

The inside of the old man's house was absolutely beautiful. It was giant and there were grand paintings and other expensive treasures neatly lining the walls. There was so much gold Jongin thought the house must've been worth a fortune. It was inconceivable to think someone who lived (seemingly alone) in an invisible house in the middle of the woods could afford such a beautiful house. 


The old man gave an amused smirk at Jongin's amazement. “Hey kid,” he said and Jongin immediately whipped around to face him properly. “Do you want some tea?” 


Jongin stuttered a moment, but when he glanced at Suho was subtly nodding his head Jongin accepted the offer. 


The three gathered around a table where there was already three steaming cups of tea sitting on the table. Jongin began to feel panicked over the fact the man already had the amount of tea cups needed all set out, but the scent of the tea was intoxicating. 


It filled Jongin's senses in a way that was unlike any other. Jongin inhaled deeply as he sat down in the chair pulled out for him. “Have a drink.” Suho said. 


Jongin nodded as he lifted the cup to his lips. Only a couple of moments after the liquid entered Jongin's mouth his entire body felt… Lifted. Higher than the earth in a sense that was almost other worldly. 


He inhaled calm and exhaled worry. 


Moments later, there was a sound. Scratch that, there were many sounds. Banging of what sounded like pots and pans, feet shuffling across a dirt road, indistinct chatter, children's laughter… All of the sounds of a village filled Jongin's ear, but when he tried to focus on what was making the sounds or open his eyes he suddenly realized, he couldn't. He couldn't open his eyes, he was trapped listening and smelling the fresh bread and fish and dirt without being able to see any of it. 


Suddenly Jongin was struggling and fighting every feeling he was feeling. He wanted to scream, but he couldn't find his voice no matter how hard he tried. 


Just then, there was hands on him, grabbing what felt like his arms, pulling him upwards. At least that's what Jongin thought was happening. 


Moments later, everything around him came into focus, it was blurry for a couple of seconds, but Jongin's eyes adjusted quickly enough. Suho had let go of his arms as soon as he was sure Jongin could see again and Jongin took a step back. The old man was there, rolling his eyes and sighing impatiently as if he was annoyed. 


Jongin looked around, they were back in the market, but everything looked different. Jongin couldn't place his finger on it, but there was something about the people and the things being sold that made Jongin think they weren't actually back in the market. 


Before Jongin could speak, his clearly panicked expression made Suho speak first. “Don't worry, you're safe.” 


“Where are we? What's going on?” 


“You're in a fishing village called Essos.” 


“Except this is Essos five years ago.” the old man interjected. 


Jongin, who was nearly feeling a little bit calmed down was suddenly sent flying back into his confusion again. Suho turned his head around to look at the man, annoyed, to which the elder just shrugged. “What? It's not like we have all day.” The old man stepped forward, practically pushing past Suho in the process and look directly at Jongin. “Listen here kid, you're in my head. All this is a simple memory inside my brain. Nothing can be altered and nothing can be changed.” 


To empathize his point the man ran his hand over an apple in fruit cart. It Jongin a moment to notice it, but his hand was ghosting through the fruit, not touching it or affecting it in any way. He was stunned to say the least, he glanced up at the owner of the fruit cart and the woman didn't seem to notice the man touching-or not-her fruit. When Jongin looked closer her came to realize that she hadn't even noticed his presence either. 


“So we’re invisible?” Jongin questioned, turning back to the man. 


The man chuckled. “No, we're not really here. Like I said, it's a memory.” 


Jongin nodded in understanding. He understood the basics of what was going on, but he had millions of questions. None of which he could ask, as the man had turned around and was gesturing to another man, much younger than himself, inside a hut organizing small stones in display. Jongin estimated the person organizing the stones was only a little bit older than him and he couldn't help but wonder what he had to do with them, with him. 


He watched the person intensely, walking closer to him as he played with a rock in his delicate looking hands. “My son.” the elder said behind them. 


Jongin spared a quick glance at the old man. When he looked closer at both of their features Jongin could certainly see some similarities. “Jiseok!” a familiar voice called out. 


The person-Jiseok presumably-turned around in the direction the name was called. It took Jongin more than a few seconds to search through the bustling crowd to see a person standing waving his arms in their direction. “Jiho, come quickly, I’ve got something to show you!” Jiseok called back. 


Jongin inhaled a quick sharp breath and he prayed the man running towards them wasn't Jiho, the one Jongin had come to know and fear back o Suho's boat. 


Much to his dismay, it certainly was Zico running up to them, hugging Jiseok, his brother, with a genuinely happy grin on his face. “What did you get me? I hope it was expensive.” 


Jiseok laughed. “I have as little as you.” he said. 


Zico laughed loudly. “Father favors you, the eldest, he gives you more.” 


Jiseok pushed Zico's shoulder in a joking manner. “He does not. He loves us equally, now shut up or I'm not giving you the present I had for you.” 


Zico immediately raised his hands in a begging sort of manner and made a pouty puppy face that Jongin swore was actually kind of cute. “Please brother, don't throw out my present!” he begged. 


Jiseok smiled and pulled a small crystal-like white stone, wrapped in a leather-like cord from his pocket. “A necklace?” Zico asked, taking it into his hands. “You do know I'm a man?” 


Jiseok rolled his eyes as Zico pulled the necklace over his head, looking at it even further in a cracked mirror near their display shelf. “I like it. It suits me, gives me a manly feel. All the ladies will swoon.” Zico said.  


“You're an idiot.” Jiseok replied, still smiling like a fool at how much Zico was enjoying the gift. “I made it.” Jiseok added. 


Zico glanced at him with a wonderfilled expression. “Then I love it even more. I'll treasure it so long as I live.” 


“Don't lose it, that stone is worth more than an entire year of our pay helping with the shop.” 


“An entire year? How did you- Did you use your savings for me?” 


Jiseok shrugged. “You're my baby brother, there's nothing I wouldn't give you.” 


The two smiled at each other for a couple seconds before Zico instantly went back to admiring his form in the small mirror. 


Before any words could be exchanged the entire atmosphere changed. There were less people, everyone was retreating inside shelter, Jongin assumed a storm. However, there were still goods and personal belongings left outside and the sun was shining brightly against a blue sky, no sign of a storm. 


Jongin looked around, confused and afraid when he saw him. Jongin couldn't stop himself, his heart took control before his brain could interfere. He screamed his name as he ran towards him. Chanyeol didn't notice. As a matter of fact Chanyeol had literally walked straight through Jongin's body towards Zico and Jiseok. “It's not real.” Jongin muttered. 


He repeated the words as he watched Chanyeol approach Jiseok first. “You're the oldest of the Woo brothers aren't you?” 


Jiseok nodded, clearly fearful of Chanyeol's presence, but he didn't look willing to back down. “Is your daddy home?” Chanyeol questioned. 


Jiseok shook his head. “He's not here, he's traveling west, towards the Valleys. He never said why he was leaving.” 


“Well, then I'll be doing my business with you.” Chanyeol said. “I want all of it.” 


“All the stones?” 


Chanyeol laughed so loudly Jiseok almost looked as though the thundering sound would be w Pugh to knock him down. “I want everything you own.” 


“W-well I can't sell it to you.” Jiseok said. 


Chanyeol laughed again, this time less loud. Jongin hated the venom of the sound. “Sell? You will give me and pray I don't slaughter you where you stand.” 


Jiseok looked a little wavering. He glanced at Zico who looked damn near ready to fight if he needed. “I will not give you anything. You can have your pick our stones, but that is all you can have.” 


Jiseok straightened his form, he was tall, almost as tall as Chanyeol. Chanyeol chuckled at the action and leaned to whisper into Jiseok’s ear. Jongin didn't have to move closer to hear, the words echoed in the air. “Did you pray?” he said. 


Jiseok shook his head slowly and Chanyeol hummed. Suddenly a look of shock overcame Jiseok's eyes for a few moments before his eyes were beginning to close. When Chanyeol pulled away, he pulled a small knife from Jiseok's stomach and stepped to the side as to avoid the body falling into him. 


Zico screamed. Louder than Jongin had heard a person scream before in his entire life. Zico helped roll his brother onto his back, dirt sticking to the blood on his shirt and face. Zico looked as though he had not idea what to do, he probably didn't have any idea what to do. He was hesitant to touch his brother in fear of making things worse, his hands roaming all over Jiseok’s body without ever touching it. 


“He should have prayed.” Chanyeol said. 


Zico growled and lunged at Chanyeol who easily, effortlessly, kicked him back into the dirt. Zico lands hard on his face and his shame was obvious in the way he hesitated to get back up. There were tears staining his cheeks at this point and Jongin was surprised at how guilty he felt for the other. 


Chanyeol walked towards Zico, kicking more dirty into his face and eyes as he cried, then kicking him in the flank, causing Zico to roll onto his side in pain. Chanyeol kicked at his shoulder then, knocking Zico onto his back. Chanyeol kneeled over Zico and took a look at the sight and scoffed. “You're pathetic.” Chanyeol growled. 


Before Zico knew it, Chanyeol was ripping the necklace his brother just gave him off and shoving it in his pocket. Zico tried to claw it back from Chanyeol, but he was so easily overpowered that his efforts were in vain. 


Chanyeol slammed his fist into Zico’s face and stood up. “I'll send someone to come and bag all of this up before sundown. Any resistance will result in the death of your other son.” 


Zico looked up from his shameful place on the ground. When Chanyeol began walking away a slightly younger version of the old man began running from the grip of two strangers, who followed Chanyeol away. 


He kneeled down next to Jiseok first, checking for signs of the life that was already long gone. He was soundlessly crying, when he looked up towards Zico. He scrambled to Zico's side, repeatedly asking if Zico was alright getting no answer in return. Zico was too busy openly sobbing to even hear his father's concerns. 


Seconds later, Jongin was back at the table. A tear rolling down his cheek as he fought to believe the memory was in fact false. All hope was shattered when he looked up to see the old man in tears, crying into his hands. 


Chanyeol lied, that was the truth. Jongin felt himself shatter.