Jongin: Painfully Reminded

Call to the Sea

It was easier than he had imagined. His blades and sliced through the flesh of each opponent Suho sent to him like he was cutting butter. Jongin didn’t realize that it would be like that. More importantly, Jongin did think he’d like the feeling of driving his blades through another person, nor did he think he’d enjoy the feel of someone else’s blade grazing his skin.

 

It disgusted him. He was disgusting.

 

***

 

“Come here my pet.” Suho beckoned, patting the seat next to him on his bed.

 

Kai didn’t allow himself enough time to hesitate as he took long strides towards Suho. The older of the two seemed pleased with action as Jongin sat down next to him, far enough way that their bodies didn’t touch. Suho was less pleased with action, but didn’t voice his thoughts.

 

“You’ve done well today.”

 

“Seven.” Kai replied coldly.

 

“Seven.” Suho said with a smile. “More than anyone before you.”

 

Kai looked down at his hands neatly folded in his lap. “You’ve done this before?”

 

Suho didn’t stutter or hesitate when he spoke. “Yes. The highest number before you was Zico and he got to five before he couldn’t any longer.”

 

Kai nodded, still looking down.  “Of course, now he’s far surpassed that number. You will someday too Kai. I can see it in you, your potential.”

 

Kai hesitated before he spoke, a piece of Jongin showing through. “Potential for what?”

 

“To be great.” Suho replied. “The world will all know your name. You will be feared, but respected...A king amongst men Kai.”

 

Kai didn’t feel a need to respond. Suho smiled, Kai saw it out of the corner of his eye just as Suho began leaning in towards him and was grasping the side of his face. Suho pressed his lips against Kai’s with enough passion Kai wasn’t entirely sure Suho would pull away. Kai could tell Suho wanted more, more than Kai was willing to allow.

 

Suho did however, pull away a few moments later. There was a moment of silence, with Kai looking down again and Suho trailing his hands all over the newly formed scars all over Kai’s arms and back. “I have something to ask of you my beautiful pet.”

 

***

 

“You failed?” Suho growled in a voice so low that Kai almost didn’t hear it.

 

“I tried.” Kai’s responded.

 

“You didn’t try hard enough.”

 

“I did the best I could.” Kai snarled, finally looking up to meet the rage in Suho’s eyes.

 

Suho was certainly more than furious, that much was clear from how his fists were balled up on his desk and his eyes held the look of a man ready to kill. One Jongin thought he’d seen looking on himself in the mirror.

 

No, that was Kai… Jongin was gone and Kai is what remained. Kai didn’t care about the murderous look in his eyes, he cared about himself. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

Suho stood up, fast enough that the chair he was sitting on fell to the ground. He raised his hand, but before he could strike Youngjae was standing in between him and Kai. “Listen, Suho, I know why he failed.” Youngjae said.

 

Suho glanced behind him Kai from over Youngjae’s shoulder. Kai was gripping his still sheathed weapons waiting for Suho to make his move. “Speak now before I change my mind.” Suho snarled, taking a step back.

 

“They’re soulmates.”

 

“This I know.” Suho growled impatiently.

 

Youngjae stuttered, though he tried not to. “J-Jong... Kai,” he corrected before Suho had a time to yell at him for the mistake. “Kai and Chanyeol’s connection allows them to see each other in their dreams,” he paused as if to find the words appropriate. “But it’s still a dream. An alternate world where death occurs, but not in the world we live in.”

 

“So, we can’t send Kai to kill Chanyeol?”

 

“It must be done in person or can’t be done at all.” Youngjae finished.

 

Suho looked away, lost in his thoughts for a moment. Kai brought his lower lip between his teeth as he watched Suho debating over something, quite intensely. The second Suho looked up Kai looked down. “Then, what you’re saying is we must bring Chanyeol to us?”

 

***

 

Kai wasn’t sure what made him feel so uncomfortable. Perhaps it was the fact that Suho had sent a raven to Chanyeol (after mysteriously finding his location) with all the Black Rose’s location, or maybe it was the nagging feeling that was clawing at his insides about something-someone-he couldn’t identify.

 

Kai’s muscles tensed as he took a deep breath while walking through the ship. Kai looked out at the ocean, it was mid-afternoon and the sun, though seemingly dulled, was shining brilliantly against the water in a way that was beautiful enough that Kai felt the slightest hint of calm coming from it. Kai inhaled deeply, the salty scent of the water filled his senses in a way that Kai had never felt before in his life. It was strange how much the feeling made his anxieties nearly slip away the longer he stood there.

 

However, Kai couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong. He stepped away from the ledge of the ship and walked as fast as he could towards Youngjae.

 

When he arrived in the small room Youngjae called his, he was greeted with the younger man’s warm smile and open arms. “Jongin, what can I help you with?” Youngjae asked sweetly.

 

“Don’t call me that.” Kai replied coldly.

 

Youngjae let out a nervous laugh and stepped away from Kai, sitting down on his bed. “Right, sorry, I forgot for a moment.”

 

Youngjae’s smile faltered for a moment, but he tried his best to stay happy and calm for Jongin’s sake. “I need your help.” Kai said, turning away from Youngjae.

 

“Of course, that much I can tell.”

 

“There’s something wrong. There’s something inside of me and it’s pulling towards someone and I don’t know who.”

 

“Chanyeol?”

 

“No… It doesn’t feel the same as my connection with Chanyeol.” Kai paused to take a long deep breath. “I’ve been…blocking Chanyeol out, ever since the last time I heard him,”

 

“When was that?” Youngjae interrupted.

 

“Two days ago.” Kai replied. “I haven’t felt him.”

 

“That’s quite interesting…” Youngjae muttered.

 

Kai hummed in response, almost nervously. “Can you tell me what it is?” Kai questioned impatiently.

 

“I-I think you’re just…lonely.”

 

Kai scoffed and turned back to look at Youngjae, who was standing up and walking towards him. “Lonely? That’s your explanation?”

 

“I believe you’ve severed your connection with Chanyeol, at least temporarily,” Youngjae seemed to hesitate, as if he didn’t fully believe his own words, but he continued anyway. “And since there’s somewhat of a magical hole in your heart, I think your body is trying to reconnect you with people you have an actual connection with… You understand?”

 

“No, not really. Just fix it, Youngjae.”

 

Youngjae looked down at the ground, then back up at Kai, then down at his hands in front of him as he pulled his lower lip between his teeth. “It’s not that easy.”

 

“Then figure it out!” Kai snarled.

 

Youngjae nearly jumped back in fear as he let out an involuntary gasp. Kai, instantly regretting his tone took a step back and directed his gaze to the ground. Silence fell over them both for a long time after that, neither of them moving and both too afraid to speak. “Your soul is connected to Chanyeol’s. It’s a bond that you’ve accepted and cannot be undone, at least not by me.” Youngjae said, still avoiding Kai’s eyes. “Go to your friends below deck. You know the way. Talk to them until your lonely feeling has at least dulled.”

 

Kai sighed and nodded. He turned to leave, but his body hesitated in the doorway, Jongin was waiting for Youngjae to say something else. He remained silent so Kai continued.

 

***

 

The cellar where Suho kept Chanyeol’s crew was dark, dirty and smelled like piss and ale. Kai, though he tried not to be, was somewhat bothered by the scent. He walked by the empty cells (or rather cages) until he arrived at the last few. All the people he knew were huddled up together on the ground, in the same cells they’d been in last time Kai was here. They all appeared to be asleep, all except for Bambam, who was lying on the dirty ground staring up at the ceiling. “Bambam.” Kai whispered.

 

Instantly Bambam perked up and practically flew over to the cell bars to be closer to Kai. “W-what are you doing here? H-how did you get here?” he asked. “I never thought Suho would let you down here again.”

 

“Technically he didn’t, but I’ll be okay, don’t worry about me. How are you doing?”

 

“Oh gods Jongin, it’s horrible, we’re starving and only two people get water a week and I barely remember what the sun feels like.”

 

“I’ll get you out of here.” Kai said.

 

Bambam smiled. “Yeah? How? Unless you somehow got magic powers since the last time you were down here I don’t think you’ve got any more of a chance freeing us than we do ourselves.”

 

“Just trust me okay?”

 

Bambam let out a weak sounding scoff and shrugged. “What about Mark?”

 

Kai felt his stomach turn at the mention of the name. “I-I already told you I don’t know who that is.”

 

“Not this again…” Bambam practically begged. “Please, Jongin, you can’t have actually forgotten him.”

 

Jongin-Kai-he wasn’t sure who he was at the moment- stuttered. “Mark. You two kissed and slept together, but like with clothes on not y sleeping, just sleeping and you stared at each other for who knows how long and you stole chicken from D.O and-”

 

“Mark…” Jongin whispered to himself, the sickening feeling in his stomach continuing.

 

“Yes! Mark, come on Jongin think, have you seen him? Is he okay?”

 

Kai could hear the sound of Bambam’s voice cracking as he tossed the name in his head. Kai felt something akin to familiarity in his body as he thought more of who Mark was. It was like, the face of this person was just out of his reach. Kai fought over the almost painful blur that was the image floating in his brain as he tried to recall the memory. “Mark…” he whispered to himself, squeezing his eyes shut. “Mark… Mark, Mark!” Suddenly he remembered. “Oh God-”

 

There were tears stinging his eyes as he remembered everything about Mark that was somehow hidden from him. The more he thought, the more he could remember. “The blood…” he muttered, entirely forgetting Bambam’s presence until the younger spoke.

 

“Blood? Mark’s blood?”

 

Jongin shook his head. “I-I don’t know. When I first arrived on the ship, they pulled something, it was heavy and sounded so much like a body, into a room and I could smell blood. I don’t know what, or who it was, but they thought I did.”

 

“What does that mean? I don’t understand.”

 

“I think Suho tried to erase Mark from my memory and wanted to test if I knew.”

 

“That sick son of a .” Bambam growled lowly.

 

“Well now that’s not very nice.”

 

Jongin whipped around to see Suho standing there, smiling down at him.

 

Bambam scrambled backwards away from the cell door in fear and Jongin stood up as tall and intimidating as he could. “Where is he?” Jongin growled, placing his hands over the sheaths that held his weapons.

 

“Why does it matter? You forgot him like he was nothing, and if I return him to you or to your friends in the cages there, Zico will be restless again.” Suho’s smiled turned into a smirk as he continued. “And he fears me, but he’s also quite the daring young man, who knows if he’ll be able to hold himself back from your body like I have.”

 

Suho walked towards Jongin, grabbed his arm and pulled him as close to his body as he could. “I’ve been kind and forgiving, but you continue to be defiant and I will make sure you feel pain. Now be a good little pet and run along to you room, I’ve got work to do.”

 

Jongin took an obedient step towards where he was directed to go, but suddenly turned around and grabbed Suho’s face in his hands. He looked into the older man’s eyes and wrapped his arms around his neck as he did. “What are you doing?” Suho questioned.

 

Jongin responded by pushing his body up close to Suho’s, making sure their hips pressed together as Jongin leaned in for a kiss. “Please don’t hurt them…” Jongin whispered as beggingly as he could. “I’ll do anything you want if you don’t.”

 

He buried he head in Suho’s neck and let his lips linger suggestively on the skin. He heard Suho chuckle as a hand wrapped itself in Jongin’s hair and pulled. Jongin inhaled sharply as he stared into Suho’s intense eyes. “You’ll do anything I want no matter what I do.”

 

“I’m begging you.” Jongin whispered.

 

“Do you want me?” Suho questioned, trailing a hand down Jongin’s chest while the other held a firm grip in his hair.

 

When Jongin took too long to answer Suho roughly tugged on his hair. Jongin winced as he nodded, a messy string of yeses leaving his lips. “I need you.” Jongin said.

 

Suho chuckled, his hand still roaming over Jongin’s body, until it settled on his throat. Suho pushed his thumb into Jongin’s throat until Jongin could hardly breathe. “How much?” he questioned.

 

“More,” he choked between words and Suho tightened his grip in his hair and pushed harder on his throat. “Than, words can, describe.”

 

“Tell me you love me.”

 

“I do. I love you.” Jongin replied.

 

“Prove it.”