Chanyeol: Our Love Is Burning

Call to the Sea

Jongin listened, attentively. He gave looks and responses to all of Chanyeol's stories that made Chanyeol believe he was truly fascinated by them. Jongin laughed at some of his stories too. His laugh was like the magical laugh of a god, turning Chanyeol's heart into gold and making him realize just how strongly his soul yearned for the younger.

 

There was something akin to amusement in Jongin's eyes when Chanyeol told the story of how he first met Lay and Baekhyun. “In Chansai.” He has said. “Baekhyun got into a fight and Lay had helped with his injuries, calling me for assistance.” Jongin laughed especially loud when Chanyeol had said, “I think he knew I had some pretty amazing muscles and that's why he called me over out of everyone else who was around.” Chanyeol made sure he emphasized that there lots of other people there. Jongin just laughed at him in the cute way Chanyeol found he liked hearing the most.

 

Jongin definitely made Chanyeol's heart pound against his ribcage so hard Chanyeol was sure his ribs would shatter. Chanyeol absolutely loved the feeling of it. “Oh and when I got my first ship… That was a day to remember.” Chanyeol said.

 

“Was it this one?” Jongin asked, gently rubbing his hands along the ledge of the boat.

 

Chanyeol laughed out loud, probably too loud, but Jongin didn't seem to mind so he didn't care. “Are you kidding? This ship took years to be able to buy. No, my first ship was much smaller than this, but she sailed beautifully.”

 

Jongin smiled at how cute Chanyeol looked staring off into space while he thought of his past ship. “The crew back then was small; just me, Baek, Lay, Jaebum and Junior. We sailed around, just seeing the world together. We continued on like that, stopping for, work sometimes, until collectively we could purchase a larger ship and hire some more crew members to help out.”

 

“Mark said there were rumors that your ship belonged to evil pirates. Where did all that come from?”

 

“Baek trying to get laid.”

 

Jongin nearly choked on the water Chanyeol gave him sometime earlier. It was a hot day after all. Chanyeol laughed with the younger boy and patted his back until Jongin was back to normal again. “You see,” Chanyeol continued, “he told some kid at a bar once that he was a y and scary pirate who sailed the seas in search of treasure. Blah blah blah nonsense talk, but the kid ended up telling some other people who told more important people who labeled our ship as an evil pirate ship.”

 

Jongin nodded, giving a silent ‘oh’ in response. He looked down at the gentle water and Chanyeol felt the need to speak up again. “We've never been anything more than a crew-a family, of people who love the ocean and adventures. No evil pirating has ever occurred.”

 

It was lie. Chanyeol knew that, but Jongin looked reassured. He was calm again, he even smiled so Chanyeol decided that it was okay. Something necessary.

 

***

 

The rest of the day continued with Jongin listening and laughing along with Chanyeol. The two exchanged stories, smiles and events from their childhoods. By the time the sun had set neither had really noticed. They were just sitting on the floor of the deck, Chanyeol waving his arms around as he loudly talked and Jongin talking just as much in his usually quiet voice. “So I guess you could say my dad wasn't really there for me. I did pretty much everything to take care of us by myself.” Jongin finished with his story.

 

“I can understand that. It's a hard life, constantly sailing. Lonely dare I say.”

 

Jongin looked down and mumbled his next words. “Be alone long enough, you'll get used to it.”

 

Chanyeol looked up at him. “What if I don't want to?”

 

“What?”

 

Jongin looked back up at Chanyeol. They took a moment of silence staring into each other's eyes, searching for what neither of them knew. Naturally, Chanyeol spoke up first. “I can't say exactly what persuaded me to take you onto my ship, because I don't know, but I can say ever since you've been here I've been a mess of emotions. I reacted to this change inside me with anger, because I didn't understand it and so I didn't want it. I see now, that it's because something deep inside me was dark enough that I couldn't see it in the shadows. I thought I knew everything this world had to offer and then you come into my life. Jongin, you've lit up a part of me I didn't even know existed. You've shown me more in three days, than anyone has in a lifetime.”

 

There was silence again. Neither Chanyeol nor, Jongin knew what else to say. There was silence throughout all of the ship. They didn't notice exactly how quiet it was until the sound of yelling cut through the peaceful air.

 

Suddenly, their moment was broken by Baekhyun running up behind Chanyeol, out of breath. When he spoke he said his words in a way that was seemly slow. Like each word was a bullet that hit Chanyeol one by one, running through his body and striking his heart, gut and head so hard he nearly fell over.


“The ship’s on fire.”