Chanyeol: Stuck

Call to the Sea

The breeze was harsh. It turned every raindrop into a speeding bullet. Everyone within the village was running around trying to seek shelter from the horrid storm that arose seemingly out of nowhere. The lightning cracked like a whip across the sky, filling the darkness above with flashes of light. The thunder was loud enough that everything else seemed to be muted by it, even the crashing of the waves against the cliffs.

Chanyeol was going to be late because of this storm. It was all he could think of. He was going to miss the sunset. Everyone else was afraid, not him. He hadn't the time to be fearful of some rain and lights in the sky. He had to get back out to the water, to his precious baby, the Black Pearl. The sea was calling to him, the wind was merely it's voice screaming for him to return. He knew they'd been docked to damn long.

Chanyeol downed what was left of his beer and slammed the cup down on the bar and growled. With every passing second he was becoming more and more restless. Sure a life out on the sea could be lonely, but he had his crew, his friends, and that was all he needed. Here, on land, he felt like his sanity was being torn away from him. Perhaps it'd be less like this if this damn tavern had better ale, to better drown out the screams of the sea.

Chanyeol turned in his seat and looked towards the door of the tavern. He watched for a moment as his crew members mingled with the locals. They looked like they were having fun, Chanyeol slightly envied them. He turned his attention back to the door. He was just about to get up and run to ship when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He considered breaking whoever's hand dare touch him, but he decided perhaps he should look first. When he turned his head he locked eyes with his number two on the Black Pearl, Baekhyun. “If you're thinking about going out there, don't.” Baekhyun said.

“Are you telling me what to do? I'm your captain. I could make you-”

“Oh shut your mouth Chan-Chan. We both know your not going to make me do anything.”

“Must you call me that?” Chanyeol questioned, sounding exasperated.

“Must you be so whiny?” Baekhyun replied, a hint of a mocking tone laced in his voice. 

“But-"

Baekhyun raised his hand to silence Chanyeol. Chanyeol sighed and rolled his eyes, but allowed Baekhyun to speak. “I get it, you miss the ship, the sea. We all do. However, we docked for a reason and that reason was to drink and like there's no tomorrow!” Baekhyun raised his arms as he spoke only to lower them again seconds later. “We'll be back out on the water again as soon as the storm passes.”

“How can you be so sure something won't delay us?” Chanyeol asked.

His brain had been running through every possibility that could prevent him from his ship. The storm may never end, he could be shot by someone the moment he exited the tavern, Baekhyun might decide he and Jackson are in need of some new boots and want to look around the shops, a barrel of apples could fall from the sky and crush him. The possibilities were endless, though that last one seemed unlikely. “What if the storm destroys our ship?” Chanyeol voiced his worst fear.

At this Baekhyun only laughed loudly. He turned his head and something (or rather someone) caught his eye. He yelled his response as he began backing away from Chanyeol. “Because my dear Chan-Chan, not even the gods themselves would dare keep you from the sea!”