XXX: XXX

Call to the Sea

“How far from them are we?”

 

“About a day.”

 

“Does he know we’re coming?”

 

“I’m not sure, I say we assume he does.”

 

Just then a large black bird appeared on the ledge of the boat next to the shrouds. He hummed.

 

“What’s this? He’s not one of our ravens…” He whispered, though he knew the answer. 'He knows'.

 

The other gestured to the small white piece of paper wrapped and carefully tied around the bird’s leg. He glanced back at the other, his eyes darting to his hand momentarily before he looked back at the bird. He held the creature in his calloused hands, the animal croaked out some horrid sounds, but he didn’t seem to mind them, despite how painfully loud they were. He squeezed his hands and the bird stopped making sounds. He gently pulled away at the string keeping the paper in place until it fell away. He kept holding the bird with his left hand while He removed the paper from the bird with his right. He read the black ink carefully. He read the words out loud, smiling as he did. “No mercy.”

 

He tossed the paper over board to be swallowed by the waves, but not forgotten. “No mercy… Did he really think this would frighten us into turning around? No… it’s a deeper message… A warning.” He said.

 

He looked back down at the bird that was still struggling to free itself in his hands. “He wants to send a message, spark fear in us Luhan,” he paused, smirking devilishly at the bird in his hands, “Shall we send our dear Chanyeol a message in return?”

 

Luhan knew exactly what to do and he smiled to himself at the thought as he darted away to gather the necessary tools. When he returned Luhan handed him the long thread of twine and a jar full of thick black liquid. Luhan waited as He took the twine and tied it around bird’s leg. The thing began screeching again as He began rubbing the black liquid all around the bird’s body, making sure that none of it dripped onto the twine. When he was finished He whispered the words ‘we will spark fear’, then He took the already burning match from Luhan and let the flames begin burning the end of the twine. “Sending a bird was foolish.” He said.

 

“They’re pets, and pets always return to their master.”


With that He freed the bird, who immediately began flying towards the direction of Chanyeol’s ship.