Jongin: Waking Up to the Smiling Sun

Call to the Sea

At some point in the night they moved across from each other once again. Jongin continued to lean on Bambam’s bed and Mark stayed leaning on his own. They talked for a long while after they shared the kiss, both of them still smiling through the entire conversation. “But that doesn't even make sense!” Jongin said a little too loudly.

 

“No, it totally does.” Mark replied. “You see the king was an and he murdered that guy's son so the gods sent someone down to feed him a meaty pie made of his own son as punishment.”

 

“But why would the gods interfere? Why would they even care about the actions of a king?”

 

“I don't know. They're the gods, they do whatever pleases them.”

 

“See, you don't even know why. It doesn't make sense. It was probably like a servant or something and people wanted the story to be more interesting.”

 

Mark scoffed and waved his hand in dismissal at Jongin. “You have no imagination.”

 

“I do too. I'll have you know-”

 

Before Jongin had a chance to finish Bambam burst into the room, tears streaming down his face. Immediately both Mark and Jongin stopped their conversation to get to their feet and direct all their attention to the younger boy.

 

By this point Bambam had collapsed onto his bed and was currently lying on his stomach with his face buried in the pillow. He cried and sobbed heavily into the pillow, no doubt staining the case with tears. “What happened is everything okay?” Mark asked, rubbing small circles on Bambam's back.

 

Bambam made a sound similar to a scream into his pillow in response. “No… Okay, well do you wanna talk about it?”

 

Bambam made the sound again. He turned his head, probably more to breathe than to face Mark, but nevertheless Mark took the action as a sign he could continue. “What happened?”

 

“Yugyeom…” Bambam whimpered.

 

“He is he okay?” Mark asked.

 

“Dumb motherer is fine!” Bambam yelled, looking at the door.

 

Mark nodded. “What happened?” he asked again.

 

Bambam looked sadly at the ground. Jongin was absolutely shocked at how the younger boy cried harder and wrapped his arms around Mark. He'd never seen the younger boy in a state any less than overjoyed. He wanted to help, but wasn't sure how. “I didn't mean it…” Bambam whispered.

 

“Mean what?” Mark asked in an equally low voice.

 

“Xiumin made some stupid comment on how Baekhyun has only ever had eyes for Sehun to which he replied with ‘I've actually had my eye on the youngest of our crew for quite some time. Nice ’...”

 

He's definitely mocking Baekhyun. Jongin noted. “And he said that he wouldn't touch him because we're dating, but I said we’re not and Yugyeom can whoever he wants, he just doesn't want anyone else but me, because I thought it was true!”

 

Bambam sniffled and leaned back down. He stared up at the ceiling, noting how it rocked every so often due to the waves; he'd never notice that before. “Chanyeol needed help; top secret es; and when I was finished with him Yugyeom wasn't in his room. Instead he was getting ed by Baekhyun IN THE DINING HALL!” he screeched at the door, leaning up to look at it a little bit.

 

“Oh my god we eat there…” Mark muttered taking a deep breath. “Well Bambam, you're welcome to stay here for the night, tell Jongin and I all your problems. We have stolen chicken.”

 

Bambam sniffled and nodded his head.

 

***

 

They didn't talk much after that, surprising to Jongin considering what he knew of Bambam. However, they talked enough that Bambam proclaimed he knew something happened between Mark and Jongin and he was determined to find out what before the end of the week. Bambam said “he couldn't wait to win his bet with Yugyeom” which immediately made him cry again.

 

Soon after the three ended up moving all their blankets and pillows to the ground to create a larger “bed” they could all curl up together in. Bambam fell asleep first in between Mark and Jongin, Jongin was second and Mark finally fell asleep after sometime of watching Both the younger boy’s sleeping forms.

 

***

 

The morning came with sunlight streaming in through the tiny window, illuminating the room with a dim glow. Jongin awoke first, which was often the case as it was his job back home to tend all the morning chores. He thought about staying in his position next the Bambam, who was curled up next to Mark, but the feeling of his stomach decided for him that he's do otherwise.

 

Jongin got out of the tangle of sheets and blankets as quietly as possible so he wouldn't wake the others up. After he succeeded in his task he crept out of the room, opening and closing the door in the most silent manner possible.

 

Once he was safely outside the room he made he was silently down the hall towards the dining hall. However, his memories of what Bambam had said last night were somewhat concerning to him, as he wasn't sure if he really wanted to eat in there anymore. Besides, he didn't know where any food was and even if he found its, he didn't know how to cook. He looked down at the ground as he pondered all of the various things in his brain.

 

Moments later a lost in his thoughts Jongin bumped into someone. He lost his balance just enough that he stumbled backwards and hit his back against the wall. When he looked up he was already apologizing continuously for what he's done, but when he made eye contact with who he hit his voice trailed off. “Good morning.” Chanyeol said, a bright smile on his face.

 

Butterflies fluttered within Jongin's heart and stomach and pretty much everywhere else. “Good morning.” Jongin whispered back, looking away from Chanyeol in hopes of easing the fluttering of the butterflies.

 

“Did you sleep well last night?” Chanyeol asked.

 

Jongin nodded shyly. Chanyeol hummed and his smile grew just the slightest bit. “We're you headed to the dining hall?”

 

“Um… Yes… I was hungry, but I can't cook and I don't even know where Kyungsoo puts the food...I'm not really sure what I was thinking…”

 

“Come with me. I'll get you some food that doesn't require cooking, because I can't cook either, and we can talk.”

 

Jongin opened his mouth to reply, but upon finding he was too shocked, scared and nervous to say anything he just stood there. “What do ya say? I promise I don't bite.”

 

Jongin still couldn't speak so he simply nodded. Chanyeol's smile grew impossibly wider as he grabbed Jongin's arm and pulled him along down the hall.

 

When they reached the main deck Chanyeol told Jongin to sit down on crate that was placed directly next to the edge of the ship on the bow. “Wait here for just a second, I'll be right back.” Chanyeol said, seemingly very excited.

 

Chanyeol ran away out of sight and Jongin, though confused, went with the flow. He stared out at the vast sea as he waited. He could only think of how beautiful the blue water was against the clear horizon. Looking down Jongin could see the thousands of fish swimming near the boat, he was simply amazed. It was beautiful to look at and Jongin was absolutely astounded by how many creatures lived in the vastness of the water. Jongin smiled widely at the sight of dolphins leaping from the water in front of the boat. He stood up and leaned over the boat as far he could without falling off so he could see all the creatures better. “Enjoying the view?”

 

Jongin was quick to turn around and see Chanyeol standing there smiling. He stepped back away from the ledge and sat back on the crate. He looked down embarrassed, muttering some sort of apology. Chanyeol laughed it off and Jongin could feel his cheeks burning. “Don't worry, I used to stand on the ledge and scream. I had to stop because I accidentally woke up Baekhyun a bunch of times and he told me if I didn't stop he'd push me overboard.”

 

Chanyeol smiled at the memory and extended his hand towards Jongin. Jongin looked up at him with a confused expression on his face. “Take it, it's food.”

 

Jongin took the small wrapped bar from Chanyeol's hand. “It doesn't look like food.” Jongin said as he examined the item, turning it around in his hands.

 

Chanyeol chuckled and unwrapped his little bar, revealing the dark the colored bar. “I know, it is though. I swear.”

 

Chanyeol bit into his bar and chewed it with a smile. Jongin, hesitantly, unwrapped and bit into his bar. After the taste spread around his tongue Jongin looked up at Chanyeol and smiled widely. “Whoa… What is this?” he questioned, taking another bite and chewing faster this time. “Slow down before you die…” Chanyeol suggested.

 

Jongin swallowed the last bit of the bar before he replied. “Why does everyone say that?”

 

“Probably because you eat like you've never touched food before.”

 

“It's not my fault I'm hungry and it's good.”

 

Chanyeol chuckled and Jongin internally cringed at his words. Chanyeol laughed again, this time loud enough Jongin wanted to hide, but instead ended up laughing along with the giant. “Your laugh is so loud.” Jongin said.

 

He cursed himself for saying something so stupid and rude. He hoped Chanyeol wasn't offended. “Thanks.” Chanyeol replied.

 

“What?” Jongin questioned looking up at Chanyeol.

 

“I think it's a compliment whenever people say I'm loud. It makes me happy to know that others know I'm happy because it makes them happy.”

 

Jongin surprisingly wasn't confused. “And you're laugh is adorable.” Chanyeol said.

 

Jongin looked down again, his cheeks heating up once more. He shook his head. “Really, your smile is really pretty.” Chanyeol insisted.

 

“Is that why you've been staring at me?”

 

Jongin wasn't sure where he got the courage to say that. Especially considering he wasn't sure he even wanted to know the answer. Chanyeol himself also seemed taken aback. He stuttered for a second before he composed himself and sat down on a crate opposite the one Jongin was sitting on. “I'm sorry about that.”

 

Jongin didn't know what to say. “I guess you could say I was afraid to talk to you. But not afraid, because I don't get afraid.” Chanyeol said the last part quickly and loudly. “It's just, you're new to our crew and I wasn't sure if you were thankful for me bringing you here or if you hated me for it.”

 

“I don't hate you.” Jongin said in a quick mess of words. “And I'm am thankful. Really, I would've died had you not saved me.”

 

Chanyeol didn't know what to say. They sat in a silence that neither of them would've considered awkward.

 

“Are you still hungry? Kyungsoo is usually starting breakfast by now if you want to go catch some food before it's gone.”

 

“Actually, I'm not that hungry anymore…”

 

“Oh.”

 

“But can you tell me more about what it's like to live on the ocean like this? You don't have to if you don't have the time or… something…”

 

Chanyeol smiled, his sweetest one yet. “I'd love to stay.”

 

Jongin felt all the millions of butterflies in his body soaring. He smiled back at Chanyeol, his sweetest one yet.