Jongin: An Awkward Awakening

Call to the Sea

“It's nice to meet you Jongin.” he smiled as he spoke, which was comforting in a way. “My name is Yixing. All the members on board call me Lay, however and you're welcome to as well.” 

The man continued to spread the light blue cream all over Jongin's torso as he spoke. It felt cold and Jongin shuddered at the sensation of it. The more he thought about it, he realized it kind of reminded him of being in a room that smelt strongly of mint; his eyes watered slightly, he felt very calm and able to breath a little better with less pain.

Jongin nodded when he was asked if he felt okay. Whenever the door opened, he was expecting (or maybe he was hoping) that it was him. Jongin still didn't know his name but he wanted to. He wanted to so bad that he considered asking Yixing, but every time he thought he had built up enough courage to do so he suddenly felt afraid again. So he had to just sit here not knowing and wondering. So when the door opened again Jongin looked up. Jongin told himself he wasn't disheartened when it wasn’t Chanyeol, but simply Yugyeom and Bambam returning with some soup for him. “Do you like the shirt?” Bambam asked as he set down the small bowl of broth on a table next to Jongin. “I don't know what you like so I thought it'd be best to just go simple, but I didn't want you to be without something at least a little stylish.” 

Jongin looked at the boy who was smiling down at him with such hopeful looking eyes. “Plus Yugyeom's closet doesn't give me much to work with.” Bambam added. 

To this comment Yugyeom threw an elbow towards Bambam’s side, which Bambam dodged easily, as if he was expecting it. Jongin smiled back at them and nodded. “I haven't had a chance to try it on yet, Yixing said I have to wait for this stuff to dry before I can put anything on.” 

The boys both looked at Jongin's chest then over to Yixing. They darted around Jongin's bed and stood behind him. Yixing looked annoyed, but he did very well to hide it. “When will he be able to put the shirt on?” Bambam asked. 

“When the medicine dries.” 

“How long?” Yugyeom asked in an almost whine. 

Yixing stood up and basically pushed past the two boys. “I have to go speak with Chanyeol. You two stay here with Jongin. Please try to not upset him.” 

With that Yixing was exiting the room, closing the door behind him. Bambam and Yugyeom both sighed and flopped down together on the small red couch that was next to Jongin's bed. Jongin thought how the couch looked uncomfortable for two people and he couldn't see how sitting like that, all on top of each other and nearly tangled up, could be comfortable. 

Jongin felt awkward in the silence and could tell it was weird for the two boys as well, so he thought perhaps he could ease the tension somehow. He pondered for a moment on what to say. Then he remembered something that immediately caught his attention just moments before. “Who's Chanyeol?” Jongin asked. 

“You don't know?” Yugyeom questioned. 

Bambam slapped Yugyeom’s arm and spoke up. “Chanyeol is the captain of this ship.” 

“I can't believe he didn't tell you his name. I knew he was stupid but not that stupid.” Yugyeom said. 

Bambam could tell how Jongin was confused and so he began to explain. “Chanyeol found you and brought you here. It was his bed you were hiding under.” 

Jongin immediately knew who they were talking about. He nearly smiled at the thought of large smiley man. He looked down at his hands as he thought. He could feel the heat rising in his cheeks at the thoughts and feelings, but he hoped it wasn't noticeable. It was. Yugyeom and Bambam shared a knowing glance with each other before they turned their attention back to Jongin. “So…” Yugyeom started. 

“What's your impression of our captain?” Bambam finished. 

Jongin felt his face heat up more. He swallowed the lump that had formed in throat and opened his mouth to speak. No sound came out for a few seconds and Jongin could feel himself getting more and more embarrassed by the second. “I-he seems nice. He saved me so…” Jongin's voice trailed off. 

Bambam and Yugyeom nodded. They gave Jongin a small reassuring smile. “Chanyeol is a nice guy. Really, he's like a puppy. I'm sure you'll like him once you get to know him.” Bambam said.

“He's handsome too.” Yugyeom added and Bambam nodded. 

“You won't find a better catch than him.” 

Jongin wanted the bed to swallow him whole in that moment. He felt the blush burning his face more and more with every word that Bambam and Yugyeom had said. Jongin was really hoping that this was all just a really vivid dream and any minute he'd wake up in his own bed far away from here. He squeezed his eyes shut as tight as he could and counted to ten in his head. When he opened his eyes, he was expecting to see his ceiling. However, the first thing he was greeted with was none other than Chanyeol standing in the doorway staring at him.

Jongin looked around to find that Yugyeom and Bambam were gone and Yixing was back beside him, gently sprinkling a white powder on a bandage. Chanyeol just stood there with his arms crossed and face neutral, watching Jongin intently. Jongin felt his face heat up again and now he desperately wanted to disappear. Yixing spoke up and Jongin looked at him as he did. “Can you sit up?” 

Jongin nodded and began shifting himself in the bed. He couldn't help but wince at the pain that shot through him as he moved his legs over the bed. When he planted his feet firmly on the ground, he felt steady again, however, even a little stronger than before. He still felt Chanyeol's gaze fixed on him as he watched Yixing turned around for a moment. Yixing instructed him to raise his arms as far up as he could and Jongin obliged, raising them all the way above his head with only minimal pain. Yixing nodded and made a mental note then began to wrap the bandage with the powder around Jongin's body. The moment the powder made contact with the stab wound Jongin felt a slight tingling sensation followed immediately by relief. He looked down to see that his bruises have healed a significant amount, so much so that his torso was nearly clear save for a few yellowish-green spots scattered about. Jongin looked up and was about to ask how when Yixing interrupted him. “It was the ointment. It comes from an island of healers southwest of the four lands. It can heal minor burns, bruises and cuts faster than ordinary treatment. I don't use it unless it's necessary so don't bother asking Chanyeol.” Yixing said without glancing in Chanyeol's direction. “Your ribs should be mostly healed, though they're probably still bruised a bit so don't go out doing anything crazy just yet.” 

Jongin nodded as he took in all the information. Yixing continued to tell him all about various types of information about his injuries and how he should further take care of them. The entire time Jongin was barely listening because his attention was focused on the burning feeling that Jongin knew was Chanyeol's stare. It was piercing into his skin and all Jongin had to do to confirm the fact was turn his head to the right just a little bit. He didn't though, instead he tried to keep all his attention on Yixing, but it was hard with the intensity of the feelings stirring inside him. 

Jongin barely noticed when Yixing was done talking and telling him to try standing. Jongin took the opportunity, however, to glance over at the doorway. He told himself he wasn't disheartened when Chanyeol wasn't standing there.