Jongin: The Road Is Twisted Like A Rope

Call to the Sea

Jongin approached Youngjae almost cautiously. The other simply smiled, the outside fresh air giving him a peaceful and calm feeling. 


Youngjae’s smile was radiant and filled with happiness, even despite the conversation that Jongin and him had earlier. “You look nice.” Youngjae said. 


“Thank you.” Jongin replied. 


Youngjae gestured for Jongin to begin walking into town and Jongin, almost eagerly took the steps. “Don’t think about running away.” Youngjae said. 


Everyone needs to stay out of my thoughts. Jongin thought to himself. “I can’t help it you know, it just happens sometimes. Your thoughts sorta drift into my head.” 


Jongin sighed, there was nothing he or the other could do to stop it from happening at the moment and Jongin didn’t have the energy to argue. “I’m sorry.” Youngjae added. “Major invasion of privacy I know.” 


“It’s okay, I just- Zico and you and…” Jongin’s voice trailed off. 


“I get it. I’ll try to control it better.” 


Jongin gave a small smile at the gesture, Youngjae’s own smiling brightening. 


***


Youngjae had made small, polite and friendly conversations with Jongin has they walked through the crowded streets into various shops, purchasing a bunch of medical herbs Jongin could barely pronounce. 


Suho met up with the two of them some amount of time later. He was all sweet smiles and reassuring looks. Jongin was uncomfortable with friendly and almost flirtatious Suho had gotten, but he made sure to conceal it. 


Suho currently had his arm wrapped casually around Jongin's waist as Suho led him forward, seemingly mindlessly. Youngjae was dismissed a couple of minutes ago to give all the supplies he had purchased to Zico to return to the ship. Jongin was entirely alone with Suho. 


As they walked, many shopkeepers standing outside made a move to get of Suho's line of sight. Jongin fought the feeling of his stomach turning as they walked further and further from the ship, the village, from everything that gave Jongin even a little bit of hope for his freedom. 


Suho had been talking, but Jongin wasn't listening, so when Suho asked him for his thoughts he stuttered. Suho laughed, loudly and Jongin shied away. “You weren't listening were you?” Suho questioned, a smile playing on his lips. 


Again, Jongin stuttered, trying to think of an excuse. “I-I'm sorry…” he quickly said. “I just-I was lost in my thoughts, I don't know what came over me-” 


Suho pressed a finger to Jongin's lips which instantly silenced his mumbling. “I know what you were thinking of.” Suho said matter of factly. 


“Y-you do?” Jongin asked, looking up at Suho, worry evident on his features. 


Suho hummed, still smiling in a way that only served to further terrify Jongin. “You were thinking of how you were going to get away from, get back to Chanyeol.” 


“H-how… I'm sorry, I wasn't going to try anything-” 


This time Suho silenced Jongin with a firm press of his lips against Jongin's. It didn't last long, but it was enough that Jongin looked away, embarrassed at how he neglected to shove Suho away the moment he touched him. “Now hush.” Suho said. “We've only got a little further in our walk before we reach our destination.” 


Jongin nodded, but he didn't look back up at Suho, too afraid to look the man in the eyes again. Suho led the way and he was close, too close, but he didn't touch Jongin again. “Chanyeol won't save you.” Suho said as they continued to walk. 


Jongin didn't reply, he didn't know what say. “Chanyeol is a killer.” Suho said. “With no concern for human life.” he added. 


“You've said that before.” 


“I have.” Suho confirmed. “And I will keep saying it until you believe me.” 


“I will never believe you.” Jongin growled lowly. 


“Don't say never pet, it makes you a liar.” 


Suho stopped walking just then and Jongin nearly tripped over his own feet trying to not accidentally run into Suho. 


“His life now, the one he's shown you, is a masquerade. He's hiding his true self from you, because he knows you'll hate him. He's taken countless lives, stolen from thousands of things from hundreds of people.” 


“How much better can you be? I've seen you kill before, heard you threaten to ruthlessly slaughter my friends. If there's a monster here, it's you.” Jongin spit.


“Chanyeol has done deeds far worse than I. So much so that he can't even admit to them or, because the guilt tears him up inside day after day. He thinks he can pay for his monstrosities by simply avoiding them. I am a reminder of his past and he will kill me if he gets the chance, because I am the last man on this planet who will dare tell the world what a wicked beast that bastard truly is.” 


Jongin shook his head. “No.” Jongin said. “No, you're a liar, you'd say anything to turn me against him. You said it yourself; you'd make me hate Chanyeol.” 


Suho shook his head and smiled at Jongin's protests. “I told you would hate Jongin, but I never said I'd make you. I said you would come to that conclusion on your own.” 


Jongin didn't reply, but instead gave an angry growl as he glared as intensely as he could at Suho. 


“Are you still loyal to Chanyeol? Even after everything I’ve told you?” Suho asked a moment later. 


“Of course.” Jongin replied. “You've said nothing but lies.” he added. 


Suho nodded his head and took a single step forward. He reached a hand out and gently tapped at the air and a ripple suddenly spread across it, as if Suho had touched a body of water. “What the hell was that?” Jongin questioned, immediately taking a step back and away from Suho. 


Suho smirked as the ripple faded and began knocking on the air- or rather the invisible force Jongin couldn't see. 


After a few seconds the sound of unintelligible yelling sounded through the air. Jongin only watched in complete shock and wonder as the invisible force had slowly, began turning into a grand house built from what looked like trees and vines. 


The house was a absolutely gigantic, it was almost a damn castle castle in Jongin's eyes. An old, grouchy looking man answered the door then. He was squinting-glaring-up at Suho from his hunched over position. The man made an attempt to close the door in Suho's face, but Suho was quicker than he was, holding the door open with his arm. The man pulled a knife from his pocket and held it out at Suho in a threatening manner. When Suho didn't seem to care about the threat beyond a simple raise of his eyebrow, the man rolled his eyes and spoke.“The are you doing here Junmyeon?” he growled.


“I've brought someone.” 


The old man outright burst into a small fit of laughter. “The piss do I care?” 


“He's a friend of Chanyeol's.” Suho added. 


“A friend huh?” 


The man peered over Suho's shoulder at Jongin. “He doesn't believe me when I tell him the truth about Chanyeol. He claims he loves him.”


“Well that ing bastard don't give a damn about you kid.” 


“I want you to tell him your story.” Suho said. 


The old man hesitated for a couple of seconds before he fully opened the door and allow Suho and Jongin inside.