Chanyeol: The More You Hope the Harder You Fall

Call to the Sea

Chanyeol had some idea where he was going. He knew exactly why Junmyeon would want Jongin here in Essos and that was something he couldn’t afford. He could lose Jongin forever if he ever found out the horrid secrets the sands of Essos kept hidden. 


“It’s around here somewhere.” Chanyeol said matter of factly. 


Both Baekhyun and Jaebum didn’t know what Chanyeol was talking about, but they followed him as he began to feel around the air, as if he were looking for something. “What are we looking for?” Baekhyun finally questioned after a minute or so of the mindless searching. 


“The front door.” Chanyeol replied. 


“The does that mean?” Baekhyun growled. 


Chanyeol ferociously turned to face him. Chanyeol took a deep breath to calm himself down before he spoke. “There’s a house here. Lay told me he could feel it’s magic, but it’s too far out of town to disrupt it. We have to find the door and get inside.” 


“Why? How do you know Junmyeon is even inside this invisible house?” Baekhyun asked. 


“I just do, and Jongin is with him.” 


“Brain letters?” 


Chanyeol stuttered, his crew mates could tell he was beginning to lose it. “Not exactly, just-just find the damn house!” 


***


Chaelin walked fearlessly through through the harbor. Though many people here didn’t know her, they could all tell she was dangerous if provoked. Jackson watched with awe as he almost struggled to keep up with the woman ahead of him. Not a single person didn't retreat behind some form of shelter when they saw Chaelin’s form approaching them. 


Jackson had a hand on the hilt of his sword the entire way from their ship to the one Chaelin was certain, had Dara on it. 


“We're almost there.” Chaelin said. 


“How can you be certain?” Jackson questioned as Chaelin slowed her pace.


“Years ago, I put on spell on the necklace Dara always wears, linked myself to it and it to her.” 


Jackson wasn't entirely sure he understood, but he decided it'd be best to just nod instead of ask more questions. “That one, she's on that one.” Chaelin said running towards one of the smaller ships in the harbor.


Jackson shook his head and took a breath, an attempt to keep his doubt and partial anger from surfacing as he darted after Chaelin. 


***


It was Baekhyun who found the entrance to the house first. He was upset at chanyeol's, everything, and decided he’d take a walk elsewhere. He ended up walking right into the side of the invisible house he didn't think existed. 


Chanyeol ran so fast to the house that Baekhyun barely noticed him knocking down the front door in his temporary haze. 


The inside was disgusting. Rats scurried across the floor and there were cobwebs covering nearly every piece of dusty furniture. It looked like no one lived here, but judging by the lack of dust on the ground from the living room to the kitchen, it appeared someone did. “Does anyone live here?” Baekhyun asked suddenly as the three men looked around, weapons ready. 


“Someone did. Long ago.” Chanyeol replied. 


“How long?” Jaebum asked.


“Long.” Chanyeol replied. 


They spent a few more moments searching, no one noticing anything. “There's no one here.” Baekhyun said. 


Chanyeol looked as though he were seething. His ears turning red and Baekhyun was pretty sure he could see steam coming out of his nose. “We missed them. We're too late.” Chanyeol said. 


Suddenly, both Jaebum and Baekhyun noticed it. Chanyeol’s entire being seemed to shrink just a little. His fire and anger was diminished by defeat and sadness. If the two didn't know any better they would have sworn that Chanyeol was wiping away a tear. 


*** 


The ship itself could barely be considered a ship at all from the inside. It was small, kind of dirty and looked abandoned. Not a single piece of evidence could be found that a person lived here. 


Chaelin and Jackson decided they would separate and begin checking around the main deck when suddenly they heard the sound of woman's scream pierce the air. “That was Dara!” Chaelin said, darting towards the direction the sound came from. There was foul stench coming from the captain's cabin and though neither wanted to, Jackson and Chaelin followed it. “Chaelin help me! Chaelin I need you! Save me! Please save me!” Dara screamed over and over. 


When they reached to door to the cabin they found it was locked and when Jackson attempted to kick it down, but was thrown backwards, they discovered it was locked with magic. “The was that?” Jackson yelled, stumbling back to his feet. 


“A protection spell.” Chaelin replied. 


“A what? Are you saying-” 


“Shut up and stand back!” Chaelin snarled and Jackson immediately did as he was told. 


Chaelin held her hands out towards the door and closed her eyes in focus. Jackson watched, both stunned and confused from behind her. Chaelin's hands were trembling and she was beginning to look as though she would pass out. “Are you okay?” Jackson questioned, moving to help her. 


“Get back.” 


“What's going on?” 


“It's strong, but I have enough power…” Chaelin's voice trailed off as she continued to use every bit of her energy to open the door. 


Chaelin felt something akin to sinking in the pit of her stomach too suddenly for Chaelin to be okay with it. 


Jackson, upon noticing the discomfort in Chaelin’s form, straightened his own posture and shrugged off any of the uncomfortableness that had crept inside of him. Chaelin didn't entirely seem to notice Jackson's gesture, but nevertheless she straightened her own posture and continued to push her hands out to the door. 


She looked as if she was struggling to breathe, but Jackson didn't dare go near her, no matter how badly he wanted to help. 


Moments later, Chaelin yelled in what sounded like pain, and the door flew open. Chaelin stumbled forward, trying to run inside but clearly being too weak to do so. Jackson caught her when she nearly fell over, her entire body feeling too weak to even support her. 


The sight inside the room didn't help either. Chaelin recognized the knife as one of Chanyeol's and the necklace as Dara’s. The fish pinned to the wall looked like something akin to a trout, but Chaelin’s heavy eyes starting to close didn't leave much room for her to really see. 


“Where is she?” Chaelin questioned breathily. 


“I don't know.” Jackson replied, lifting Chaelin into his arms as her entire body went completely limp in his arms.