Jongin: To Be Kept In The Dark

Call to the Sea

“So tell me Kim Jongin,” Zico kneeled down too close next to Jongin as he spoke. “Have you ever heard of Merlings?”

 

“Merlings?” Jongin questioned, not looking up from the ground. “That's a weirdly specific and random question.”

 

Zico chuckled. He enjoyed Jongin this way, less afraid of him. He smiled when Jongin spared him a quick glare upon noticing his silence. He really liked this side of Jongin. He bit his lower lip as Jongin continued mindlessly tracing patterns on the ground. “Answer the question Jongin. Have you ever heard of Merlings?”

 

“You mean the stupid fairytale about fish people who eat children?”

 

Zico chuckled and even without looking up Jongin knew his smile was widening. “Stupid? Do you think they're not real?”

 

“They aren't. They're just stories people tell children to scare them into eating their vegetables.”

 

“How do you know?”

 

Zico poked Jongin's side to which Jongin immediately curled in on himself and scoot a couple inches away. Zico only laughed at the action and moved closer to Jongin again. “I thought you had never even seen the ocean. How do you know what's beneath the surface of something you've never even touched.”

 

It's still stupid to believe they're real. Jongin thought to himself.

 

“Now, don't say things like that Jongin. It's rude.” Zico said.

 

Stay out of my head.

 

“Say it to my face.”

 

Jongin remained silent and Zico laughed. “I thought so.”

 

Zico chuckled again. “Perhaps one day I'll toss you into the ocean, let you discover just how real they are.”

 

Zico leaned closer to Jongin, his breath fanning across Jongin's ear making him shiver. “Don't frown Jongin.” Zico said. “It wrinkles your beautiful face.”

 

Jongin shuddered and tried to lean away, but Zico held tightly, bruisingly, onto his arm keeping him in his place. “And you have such a beautiful face. Such,” Zico’s hand came up and gently caressed Jongin's cheek and lips. “Perfect lips…” Zico's voice trailed off as he mumbled something else Jongin couldn't catch.

 

Just then Zico was forcing Jongin to turn his head and look at him directly in the eye. “I want to bite those lips, your skin. I want to cover every inch of you in me. I want to make you scream my name while I you. You'd like that wouldn't you?” Zico said leaning impossibly closer to Jongin's form. “You want me, don't you?” he whispered, his lips barely a couple inches from Jongin's.

 

Jongin didn't get the chance to reply or even pull himself away as Suho was entering the room and Zico was quickly releasing him. Suho looked at the two of them momentarily and raised a brow, but said nothing more than telling Jongin to stand and follow him. Jongin did as he was told, not glancing back at Zico who was stayed sitting on the ground quietly as he got up. Zico smirked and his eyes followed Jongin all the way out the door, though the other didn't notice.

 

Suho led Jongin to the main deck. There were people, but most of them ignored Jongin's presence or simply glanced up at him then looked away again. Jongin couldn't decide if he liked it more or less this way, but he couldn't deny that he was certainly thankful for the lack of eyes glued to him.

 

Jongin stopped when Suho did, both of them staring into the distance at the vast ocean spread out before them. “Kim Jongin.” Suho said. “Chanyeol's pet, Jongin.” Suho said the words in a way that resembled a snake. Jongin despised it.

 

Jongin kept looking out into the ocean, imagining the Black Pearl suddenly appearing on the horizon. Jongin pictured Chanyeol's form vaguely showing up in front of the sunset as he led the rescue team to save Jongin and the rest of their crew. He almost believed his imagination enough to smile at the thought. Almost.

 

Instead he internally cringed at the disgusted feeling that filled him when his name rolled off of Suho’s tongue once more. “Jongin. No. Jongin is Chanyeol's pet, you don't belong to him anymore.”

 

“I don't belong to you either. I don't belong to anyone.” Jongin said suddenly, his tone a vicious one.

 

Suho scoffed, slightly impressed at Jongin's forwardness. “No, you don't. I can't own you, I don't want to.” Suho smiled. “You will come to me. You will be mine.”

 

Jongin turned his head and looked at Suho, directly in his eyes, courage filling his body, though he didn't know why. “I will never be yours.” he spat.

 

“When you learn the truth, you will be. In fact, you will willingly choose me.”

 

Jongin attempted to glare at the man, but instead made a (probably stupid looking) confused face. Suho smile and turned to look back out at the water. “You will pick a new name. When you are ready tell me, and you will be reborn,” he pauses to smirk, “reborn as an entirely new person.”

 

“Why?” Jongin asked, surprising himself once again with his boldness.

 

Suho didn't seem to care about how much Jongin had spoken up. He simply gave a small smile and answered the question. “Jongin is weak. Jongin is being used and doesn't even have the sense to know it. Jongin can't fend for himself, he needs to be saved. Jongin is Chanyeol's toy, his .”

 

Jongin looked away almost shyly. Suho’s words bothered him, but he didn't know why. “When you decide you no longer want to live under all the lies Chanyeol has undoubtedly told you, you come to me.”

 

***

 

Jongin was forced into a tiny room and told to sit on the tiny bed inside. He did as he was told, as defiantly as possible without really pissing anyone off, and waited. He waited for what felt like hours, until finally, Youngjae entered the room, a bright smile on his face. Jongin had come to the conclusion Youngjae was the only person on this ship who was in every way kind. Even now, Youngjae has brought a couple books for Jongin to read along with his dinner.

 

Jongin smiled and thanked the younger for his unnecessary kindness and received a pleasant smile in return. Jongin was quick to begin eating the chicken on the plate given to him. “So,” Youngjae began, “I want to perform a test on you.”

 

Jongin paused in his eating and looked up at Youngjae. “What kind of test?” he asked, slightly fearful of the answer.

 

“The healing ointment I have to you, it shouldn't have reacted like that. I did everything right and my magic was flawless. Which means, there's something inside you that rejected my spell. I know it's not your personality or emotions, because even after seeing your friends and taking that simple sedative, you still reacted badly.”

 

“I-I don't understand.”

 

Youngjae sighed as if he was getting straight to the bad news in a terrible situation. Jongin couldn't help but swallow in fear. “I'm saying, I think someone else has you under a spell.”

 

Jongin hummed. He wasn't entirely shocked, but still it was offsetting to learn he was probably under a spell of some sort. “What kind of spell?” Jongin asked.

 

Youngjae stuttered, clearly confused and shy about said confusion. “I-uh, I don't actually know. I can find out though, I'll just need a small bit of your blood and I can can tether a connection to you.”

 

Jongin raised an eyebrow and Youngjae continued. “To put it simply, I'll be able to access your subconscious and see the spell, then I can take it out.”

 

“So you'll be inside my head? Will you see my thoughts and stuff?”

 

“Yeah, I'll know everything. Your feelings, your thoughts, your desires, your wishes, your-”

 

Youngjae stopped upon noticing Jongin's discomfort at the knowledge of someone else, a stranger really, knowing all about the most private parts of him. Youngjae had a specialty in comforting and he used this to his advantage. “But I don't have to if you don't want me to. As far as I can tell the magic isn't dark, but it's powerful. You have to be willing for me enter your head or else I won't do it.”

 

Youngjae smiled his sweetest smile and Jongin gave a small, shy one back. “Can I sleep on it? It's getting late.”

 

“You didn't finish your dinner. There's still a lot there and-”

 

“I'm honestly not hungry.” Jongin quickly interjected.

 

Youngjae nodded and Jongin turned away, laying down on the tiny, but surprisingly comfortable bed he was given. There were a few seconds of silence, then the sounds of Youngjae picking up Jongin's half empty plate filled the air. Only moments after Youngjae was gone.


There was indeed a lot on Jongin's mind, but he felt it best to ignore it all for the sake of catching at least some peaceful as possible sleep. It was this mindset that allowed Jongin to drift off into the welcoming hands of slumber within a few minutes.

 

 

~~~

Author's Note: If this was confusing and seemingly pointless and filler-y, it's not I promise. Everything is really close to being tied up (in terms of a lot of stuff being revealed and stuff will be less confusing, not tied up like the story is over). I don't honestly know how close I am to the halfway mark of this "book" (hell, I might already be there who knows). Keep reading to find out where all this crazy stuff goes ;)