Chanyeol: Choices

Call to the Sea

“Chanyeol,  

Someone has taken Dara. I don’t know

where she is, all I know is someone freed

Jay Park and he’s after her again. I’m

close to finding her, I know it, she’s on a

ship that has been cloaked in some very

powerful magic. Jay Park is hunting me too

and he’s nearly here. I’m sending this to

you using my magic, but keeping myself

hidden and keeping the protection spell on

Dara when I’m not close to her has taken a

toll. I pray to the gods this letter finds you in

time. You must find Dara and save her.

You may be our last hope Chanyeol.

          ~ Chaelin.”

 

Chanyeol let out a shaky breath, that he didn’t even know he was holding. He handed the letter over to Lay, who was standing behind him waiting for some sign that Chanyeol wasn’t as okay as he seemed. Chanyeol looked out at the ocean, picturing Junmyeon’s ship sailing towards him, claiming surrender. He imagined the sword he hadn’t picked up in years that was now strapped to his side, plunging through Junmyeon’s stomach. Chanyeol imagined blood dripping from the blade when he ripped the sword from Junmyeon’s body. He pictured Junmyeon’s last breath as Chanyeol stood victorious over him. Then, an image floated into his brain; Jongin. Jongin standing a few feet from Chanyeol, who still held his bloodied sword. Chanyeol saw tears in mind, all Jongin’s, all because of him.

 

He will hate you when he finds out what you are. You long for the suffering of others, you wish for blood on your hands. You tell him the truth and he’ll despise you for life.

 

Chanyeol’s thoughts grew to be too much. He couldn’t help himself when he quietly whispered ‘no’ under his breath as he cast his gaze to the ground. He turned away as quickly as he could, feigning indifference, though poorly. The walk back to his room, was then a quiet and almost painful one.

 

Chanyeol knew he would be followed, even when he said he wanted to be alone to think, so when Lay entered the room only a few minutes after there was no surprise.

 

Lay shut the door behind him as he entered the room, but did not say a word. He didn't even make a sound for a good three minutes. Instead he kept his eyes glued to Chanyeol, who kept his eyes glued to the ground.

 

Lay was the first to break the silence, stepping towards Chanyeol and sitting down next to him. “We will find them both.” Lay said.

 

“What if one of them is dead when we do?”

 

“You can't think like that.”

 

Chanyeol scoffed, a small smile appearing on his lips for a couple seconds before it was gone again. “We both know the truth of the situation. A happy outcome is not what will come out of all this.”

 

Lay nodded. Chanyeol was right, the chances of them getting Dara or Jongin back were slim enough, so to add the pressure of getting them both back unharmed was next to impossible. Lay could tell by the look in his eyes that Chanyeol knew the fact well enough to understand someone would end up hurt at the end of all this. “Who do I choose? My sister, or the love of my life.”

 

“Why must you choose?” Lay asked.

 

Chanyeol looked at him like he was the most stupid person on the planet. “Don’t go telling me I’ll find a way to save them both. Don’t try giving me hope where there is none.”

 

“You know I wouldn’t do that. You can sometimes be a pessimistic bastard and need someone to remind there’s hope, but when there is nothing... I won’t be the one to hurt you like that.”

 

“So then you understand? We only have enough to focus all our energy to find one of them or we won’t find either in time. I have to choose or they will both die.”

 

“When did you last feel Jongin?” Lay asked, somewhat suddenly.

 

Chanyeol stuttered for a few seconds before he recalled the moment in his memory. A few minutes after Chanyeol had fought with Baekhyun, he felt a burning feeling in his hand that lasted no longer than a few seconds, but hurt like the gods themselves were punishing him. As fast as it came it was gone and didn't return. Maybe twenty minutes later Chanyeol found himself throwing up into a bowl, the feeling of emptiness filling him.

 

He told Lay all of this and the other said nothing, instead just nodded. Chanyeol was only slightly taken aback by his response, the man was always quick to speak, but then again he was also always full of surprises.

 

They sat in silence again for a couple more minutes until Lay finally spoke up. “You haven't told him yet, have you?”

 

Chanyeol raised a brow, but didn't reply. “You are soul mates. He has a right to know that he is going to be bound to you forever if he so chooses.”

 

“What if he doesn't want me?” Chanyeol immediately replied.

 

“The connection will sever. You will feel a pain worse than anything you've ever felt in your entire life, like your entire body is being slowly ripped apart and lit on fire.” Lay paused as Chanyeol nodded. “Then,” he begun again when he was certain Chanyeol was still listening. “You will get over it and he will be gone and you will continue your life.”

 

Chanyeol nodded, he didn't know why he expected a different answer. Why he had hoped for one.

 

“You have to tell him Chanyeol. It could end up helping us.”

 

Chanyeol looked to lay quizzically. “What do you mean?”

 

Lay had a look of hesitation on his face, as if the words he said were an accident. Chanyeol asked his question, this time in a more demanding voice. Lay shook his head and the hesitation was gone. “You share everything, I’ve told you this. You've already experienced feelings, by the sound of it also physical feeling and next to come, if your souls truly bind together once and for all, you will experience thought. You will still have your own thoughts and opinions, but, when you need it, your minds will be open to each other.”

 

“Like I’ll hear his thoughts?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“In a way, it'll be more like you're speaking to each other in your mind. To explain it more simply, a thought will be sent from Jongin to you and likewise.”

 

“Brain letters.” he chuckled when he spoke.

 

Both Chanyeol and Lay whipped around to see Baekhyun standing in the doorway. Both of them were a little more than shocked at how Baekhyun had entered the room without making a single sound. “Sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I came to apologize to my dearest Chan-Chan; I shouldn't have went off on you like that, it's not your fault. None of this is.” Baekhyun stepped further into the room as he talked. “I was a and I'm sorry.”

 

“You're always a , I'm over it.” Chanyeol replied.

 

Baekhyun smiled and so did Chanyeol, despite the nasty feelings churning inside him. “So,” Baekhyun began, walking further into the room and shutting the door. “We’re talking about Jongin, and please, correct me if I'm wrong here, you two are sharing thoughts and feelings and that only happens between soulmates, which means you and Jongin are-”

 

“Yes.” Chanyeol said before Baekhyun could finish. “We are.”

 

“Well .”

 

***

 

There was some level of nervousness that night, when Chanyeol finally decided he would sleep. He lay his head down on the pillow and he certainly felt the hands of slumber grasp him, yet when his eyes closed he still felt restless. His thoughts were still swarming around his mind, fighting off the urge to sleep, keeping him awake.

 

The thoughts kept telling him he was a monster, that Jongin could never love someone like him. They screamed that Chanyeol was evil and could never change and if he tried to he would hurt Jongin in the end. Let him go. Was the one that Chanyeol heard the loudest in his head. That was the one that truly kept him up.

 

He thought of it for what seemed like the longest time. Chanyeol was hurting more than he could say, but finally, after what felt like hours, he couldn't keep himself awake. His sadness and fear had burned away and his determination to see Jongin again took over.

 

***

 

His dreams were as they always were lately. Sunny and peaceful. He was alone by the looks of it, perhaps Jongin hadn't fallen asleep yet. Chanyeol took the opportunity to go the edge of his boat and trace the wood with his fingers. It had been so long since he had felt the smooth material under his fingertips, it was a feeling he had missed, longed for even.

 

He inhaled deeply, the scent and feeling of the sea filling his entire being in indescribable ways. Chanyeol closed his eyes, inhaled as deeply as he could, genuinely smiled for the first in days and reveled in the feeling.

 

“You have the most amazing smile.”

 

Chanyeol whipped around to see Jongin standing there. “Have I ever told you that?” he asked.

 

Chanyeol didn't reply. Instead he ran to the other and pulled him into his arms. “By the gods I missed you.” Chanyeol said.

 

Chanyeol didn't pull away from the hug to look, but he felt Jongin smile. The fact only made Chanyeol's own smile brighten and his hug tighten. Jongin laughed his heavenly laugh at the gesture and after a few moments pulled away.

 

His smile was beautiful as ever as he looked into Chanyeol's eyes. Nothing could the ruin the moment. Chanyeol thought. Nothing.

 

Just then Jongin's eyes became glossy, a sign he was near tears. Chanyeol immediately was quick to hold Jongin as close as he could without looking away from his face. “What's wrong? Are you alright?”

 

Jongin wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's neck, holding him close as he could. “They said such awful things about you Chanyeol. Such horrible things.”

 

Chanyeol nodded and kissed the crown of Jongin's head. “The captain said you were a murderer and thief. He told me you killed people without reason. He said you were evil.”

 

Chanyeol was frozen for a moment, how could he explain that all of that was the truth? He couldn't. He wouldn't. Instead he shook his head and leaned back. He looked deeply into Jongin's eyes, searching them for something, anything that could serve as a sign that that side of Chanyeol, the real Chanyeol, wouldn't completely shatter the other. There was nothing, so Chanyeol smiled. “It's not true.” Chanyeol said, “He wants you to hate me. He's a spiteful bastard Jongin and he’ll do and say anything to turn you against me.”

 

Jongin's eyes sparkled with confusion. “But why?”

 

Chanyeol didn't hesitate this time, these were words Chanyeol could say without fear of consequence. “We were shipmates once, friends even. We were co-captains, but Junmyeon...he wanted death and destruction, he wanted to take and take, more and more,” Chanyeol paused. “He tried to kill me, take over the Black Pearl. There was a fight and I couldn't kill him, but he couldn't beat me. So instead he tried to turn our crew against me. It didn't work, only two followed him in the end.”

 

“Luhan and Kris.” Jongin added.

 

Chanyeol nodded. “Yes. He fled the ship and swore vengeance on me. He's been trying to kill me ever since.”

 

Jongin nodded his head in confirmation. He understood the situation enough and he believed Chanyeol more than he could say. He knew there was nothing to doubt when it came to Chanyeol.

 

Jongin looked up at Chanyeol, his eyes sparkling with adoration. Chanyeol didn't want to ruin this moment, he wanted nothing more than for it to continue in forever, but he knew it wouldn't. “Jongin,” Chanyeol gently brushed his hand against Jongin's cheek. “There's something I have to tell you.”

 

“Anything. I trust you.” Jongin replied.

 

Chanyeol smiled almost awkwardly before he continued. Jongin just kept holding him. “My feelings for you have been intense since the day we met.”

 

“You saved me, it was love at first sight.”

 

Chanyeol nodded. “Yeah…”

 

“Chanyeol, what's this about?”

 

“Yixing, he...he explained to me why we felt the way we did so soon.” Chanyeol took a breath and continued before he could stop himself. “Our souls are tied together in a way that's almost unimaginable. It's-it’s a magic more powerful than anything else in this world, it's the most beautiful thing I've seen in a lifetime. It's why we're able to see each other here, I can feel you, your sadness, your pain, all of it a-and I don't know if you can feel me too, but Jongin-”

 

“I feel it.” Jongin stuttered. “I-I don't know what it is exactly, but sometimes, ever since we met, I get this feeling, i-in the pit of my stomach, like-like knots o-or snakes or something and the only thing that's ever stopped it is being close to you.”

 

Chanyeol was about to continue but Jongin spoke before he could. “I-I think somewhere in the back of my mind, I've always known we were soulmates.”

 

Chanyeol let out a heavy relieved sigh. He pulled Jongin closer to him and kissed his forehead.

 

They stood together like that for an indeterminable amount of time.

 

As much as he didn't want to, Chanyeol broke their peaceful and loving silence. “There's another thing.”

 

Jongin looked up at Chanyeol's face, he stared at the conflicted lines there in silence as he waited for Chanyeol to continue. “I will save you from them.” Chanyeol stated.

 

Jongin smiled sweetly. “I know.”

 

“I need your help though, there's something I need you to do.”

 

“Anything.”

 

Chanyeol looked straight into Jongin's eyes. “Because of our connection, we can communicate through our thoughts.”

 

Jongin brows furrowed in a confused manner. “Why couldn't we do this before?” he asked.

 

“You had to know we're soulmates, you had to accept me.”

 

“I accept you.” Jongin said quickly. “I love you.”

 

Chanyeol smiled and he couldn't have resisted the urge to kiss Jongin right then if had tried. “I'll contact you first. Just listen, don't do anything that will cause trouble on their ship, just listen. See if you can hear anything about where they will be docking next. They can't hold off any longer, they'll need food and water soon.”

 

Jongin nodded. He knew he could do this, he would do anything if it was for Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol pulled Jongin close again and they again, they stood in silence, enjoying each other's company.

 

Jongin was pulled away first.