Chanyeol: Sharing Is Caring

Call to the Sea

Chanyeol was pacing, it was something he couldn't stop even if he wanted to. Lay stood, leaning against the wall watching as Chanyeol continued his pacing and the constant rubbing of his head. Chanyeol grunted to himself every so often, Lay assumed he was running plans on how to get their friends back through his head. Judging by how furrowed his brows were, he was making no progress. “Chanyeol, we'll get them back.”

 

“We have to hurry before they're killed. What if they're already dead? You said they have magic on their side! We can't compete with that, Lay we're screwed!”

 

“No, we're not.”

 

Chanyeol looked back at Lay’s composed figure and growled. He hated how Lay could be so calm in such an intense and dire situation. “I watched their ship fly into a giant hole and disappear. We have no idea where they are or where they're going. There's no way-”

 

Chanyeol stopped talking and began whispering about his failures under his breath. Lay was getting sick of this. “Chanyeol, Junmyeon won't kill them. I know him and so do you.”

 

“Exactly!” Chanyeol snapped, whipping around to face Lay. “That is exactly the reason why I'm afraid. I know him, he hates me. We forced him off our boat, I threatened to cut off his head in front of everyone. He was humiliated and betrayed and-”

 

“If anyone was betrayed it was you!” Lay snapped. “You were captain, it was agreed and he still plotted against you.”

 

Chanyeol didn't respond, he couldn't, instead he growled and turned away from Lay. “He wants more. He's always wanted more.” Lay began. “He won't kill them.”

 

“No, not until he can make a show of it.”

 

***

 

Chanyeol continued pacing and stopped talking. Lay left him alone, thinking it'd be better if his captain had time to calm down and rest before Lay brought up any sort of strategy or plan against Junmyeon.

 

Lay had returned to Chanyeol later in the night, expecting him to be asleep or at the very least laying down. Instead, Chanyeol was hunched over his desk staring into maps and letters and other various papers scrawled messily across the wood. Lay was sure if Chanyeol had noticed his presence, but before he could announce it Chanyeol began speaking. “All of the trade routes Junmyeon was interested in, every letter we ever received from docks he ported in, every single village him and his crew attacked, every village our crew had attacked. All of its here, but nothing is helping. There's no pattern, it's like he never visits the same place twice, he doesn't have routes he just… Disappears.”

 

“Have you eaten since you returned? Slept?”

 

Chanyeol acknowledged Lay’s presence with a grunt, but didn't face him. “Chanyeol!” Lay growled, stepping further into the room.

 

Chanyeol turned around quicker than lightning. “What?” he snarled. “How can you expect me to eat? To sleep? I feel like there are snakes twisting around in my gut, eating my insides.”

 

“You're hungry, and your worst enemy has taken your crew captive. The snakes make sense, but if you want them gone you have to sleep or at least eat.”

 

Chanyeol shook his head. “I'm not hungry.”

 

Chanyeol turned back to his desk and continued to mumble to himself while staring at all the paper.

 

Lay watched him in silence for a few more moments. Chanyeol looked like he was on the brink of death, maybe he was. Lay decided that now was an important time to break the one rule the two established between each other. Lay closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

 

Chanyeol's mind was a mess, but after all these years together Lay was a master of navigating through it. Images floated around of their crew. Kyungsoo laughing or scolding the members. Yugyeom and Bambam teasing Chen about his life, of lack thereof in their eyes. Lay could see Baekhyun and Sehun’s glances at each other from across the dining hall from Chanyeol’s eyes. So obvious, but still so unnoticed by each other.

 

Chanyeol’s voice rang out in the darkness, almost echoing in the empty, but cluttered space. I will get him back for you Baek. You just have to stop ing around when I do. Tell him…

 

Suddenly Mark appeared in front of Chanyeol. He was younger than Lay remembered him to be. He looked more afraid and frail than he normally does. It was all very similar to how Mark used to be when he was first brought onto the ship. Just then, there was Jackson, watching the older of the two sleep. Gently brushing away at hair that falled into Mark’s face, Jackson stepped back away in the shadows.

 

As Lay pushed through the memories and images of people he found what he was looking for. Chanyeol’s subconscious. Inside Lay’s suspicions were confirmed, Chanyeol indeed had gotten exactly zero sleep since the attack on their ship two days ago. He hadn’t eaten anything either, which was concerning. At the very least Chanyeol had drank a little more water than what Lay had forced him to.

 

At that moment, Lay was snapped out of Chanyeol’s mind and back into reality. “We had an agreement.” Chanyeol said.

 

“I know.” Lay replied.

 

Lay did it quick, Chanyeol wouldn’t notice.

 

Chanyeol watched closely as Lay set down the tray of food on the desk in front of him. He saw nothing. “I had to make sure you’ve eaten.” Lay said. “You haven’t.”

 

“I’m not hungry.” Chanyeol said.

 

“You are. I was just in your head, I know better than you do.”

 

Chanyeol huffed and Lay rolled his eyes. “Eat, I’m not leaving until you take at least three bites. It’s fried chicken, love fried chicken.”

 

“Jongin said he really liked fried chicken.”

 

Lay understood. “I feel like .” Chanyeol added.

 

“That makes sense. You felt it first.”

 

“I liked him first? Why does that mean I get the ty end of the stick?”

 

Lay simply shrugged. “He feels it too, it’s just you seem to be the relief… the holder some people call it.”

 

Chanyeol looked at Lay and glared. The what? He snarled in his thoughts. Lay chuckled at the look and continued to explain. “Your feelings, both of your feelings, are tangled up inside you. All the bad, you’re holding it for both yourself and Jongin.”

 

Chanyeol didn’t look that much better, but he did look somewhat relieved. “Will you please eat?” Lay asked.

 

Chanyeol huffed again, but lifted the fork.

 

***

 

He couldn’t exactly describe it, but he was overwhelmed with a feeling of tiredness that was so powerful Chanyeol couldn’t resist the urge to lay down in his bed. Just for a few minutes. He told himself as he laid his head down on the seemingly-way-more-comfortable-than-usual pillow.

 

In his dreams Chanyeol was in Chansai. The forest just outside the main village port was as lush and vibrant as Chanyeol remembered it. Beautiful. Chanyeol thought to himself as he smiled at the green. He took a step to walk towards the entrance of the beautiful forest, but he was stopped by the sound of someone snarling his name. When Chanyeol turned around he saw Jongin standing there. He looked ever so beautiful in the light that was shining so brightly around them, but his face was stained with tears and twisted into something Chanyeol didn’t want to try and decipher; though he knew the look well enough to figure it out. Jongin was mad. “Jongin-” Chanyeol tried, but before he could finish Jongin was shoving his shoulders and pushing him backwards.

 

“You lying son of a !” he growled.

 

“What?” Chanyeol questioned, trying to keep whatever fear that was in him from creeping up.

 

“You told me you were alive! You said you were fine!”

 

Jongin kept pushing Chanyeol backwards as he talked. It hurt, but Chanyeol allowed it to continue. “You promised me! You ing promised me!” Jongin screamed.

 

Strangely, none of the passerbyers stopped to look at the commotion that Jongin was causing. “Jongin-”

 

“You’re dead! You left me! You said always and forever, but you left me!”

 

Jongin’s hands were clenched into fists around Chanyeol’s shirt and his assault ceased to the point of him doing no more than pulling on the fabric. “You lied…” Jongin cried.

 

Chanyeol left Jongin pull on his shirt a little more, until he decided that Jongin was okay enough to take into his arms. Jongin accepted with little resistance, doing nothing but deeply sobbing into Chanyeol’s chest. Jongin’s legs collapsed and Chanyeol held him as they fell to their knees together. When Chanyeol’s knees hit the ground, he was greeted with cold and slightly wet dirt. Jongin shook his hold with every sob, but Chanyeol didn’t let go even a little bit. He held him as tightly as he could, pulling Jongin practically all the way onto his lap. Jongin kept holding onto Chanyeol’s shirt as his tears fell.

 

Chanyeol was warm, almost uncomfortably so. Dead people aren’t warm. Jongin thought. “I’m not.” Chanyeol said suddenly.

 

“What?” Jongin croaked out.

 

“Dead.” Chanyeol clarified. “I’m not dead. Jackson leapt into the water and pulled me out. He was tied to Baekhyun, who was pissed because his face got slammed into the side of the boat. He’s got a nasty bruise.” Chanyeol chuckled. “I’m okay though.”

 

Jongin sniffled, but scooted a little closer to Chanyeol, resting his head on the other’s shoulder. They were both quiet for a moment. “I guess my dreams won’t accept it.” Jongin said. “It’s okay though, this is nice.”

 

“What do mean?”

 

“Well I’m asleep, I know that, and it hurts to see you here, but I guess it’s better than not at all.”

 

“You’re asleep?” Chanyeol questioned.

 

Chanyeol knew he was asleep and that the Jongin he’s been seeing is in his dreams, but why would his dreams tell him he’s not real? “I-I thought I was dreaming.”

 

Jongin looked up at Chanyeol, his beautiful brown eyes shimmering with confusion. Just then Chanyeol felt something tugging at him. He felt himself waking up, returning to the conscious world. He tried to fight it, he even yelled for it to stop, but moments later Chanyeol was back in his bed staring up at Baekhyun’s bruised face. “There’s something you need to see.” Baekhyun said, the look he gave Chanyeol was almost frightening.

 

“No, no, no,” Chanyeol protested. “I have to get back to sleep. I need to see Jongin again, I-”


“Chanyeol, it’s about Jongin.”