Chanyeol: Light Eventually Fades Into Darkness

Call to the Sea

Chanyeol fought every bit of pain he felt welling up in his chest. He pushes the feeling he hoped didn't belong to Jongin of being stabbed aside and swallowed the feeling he knew belonged to him of regret and despair in favor of helping his friend. Chaelin was on the brink of dying right now and according to Lay it's unlike anything he's ever seen. “Her temperature is still rising, none of my medicines are working.”

 

“What about that magical cream you used on Jongin?” Jackson questioned, his voice sounded more panicked and frantic than what Chanyeol had heard from him in a long time.

 

Lay shook his head and mumbled what sounded like nonsense to himself. “No no, that won't do. Jongin's wounds were of flesh, Chaelin’s energy is near to being completely drained from her body, the very magic that keeps her alive was almost entirely out.”

 

“Well you have to do something!” Jackson replied.

 

“I am aware of that Jackson, and you're complaining and telling me things I've already thought of, aren't helping. In fact, all of you, leave me to work.”

 

Without further word, everyone started clearing out of the room. Jackson seemed to hesitate, but when Chanyeol called his name he pulled away from Chaelin towards the door.

 

“Jackson…” Chaelin strained.

 

Immediately Jackson was at Chaelin’s side, grasping her hand again and asking her what was the matter. She seemed to be struggling to breathe and talking looked difficult for her as well. Still, as if the pain Chanyeol could tell she was feeling wasn’t real, Chaelin mustered up words as best as she could. “He’s alive, but he’s hurt…”

 

“W-what? H-how do you know?”

 

“You have to save him. He’s in so much pain. I’ve never felt so much pain in my life.”

 

"Xiumin's still there... He can do it." Jackson replied. 

 

"No!" Chaelin growled. "No..." she coughed between her words weakly. "He needs you, only you can save him." 

 

There were tears gathering in Chaelin’s eyes as she coughed. The blood in made Lay even more worried than he was before, though he didn’t attempt to force Jackson out of the room again. “How do we help you?” Jackson questioned.

 

“You don’t. You must find him first. You have to Jackson. You have to.”

 

Before Chaelin had a chance to say anything else, she was asleep again. Jackson looked pale as a ghost and Chanyeol could see his eyes getting glossy from tears. Chaelin’s arm lifted from it’s place on the bed, her finger pointing at Chanyeol. Before he could question it, Chanyeol suddenly felt a shock course through his veins.

 

Just then the pain tearing apart his body from the inside out became a lot more bearable.

 

***

 

Chanyeol, despite what Chaelin had done, was still unable to rest easy that night. He found himself tossing and turning in his bed, wishing for freedom from his miserable thoughts. Chanyeol, after far too much time being trapped in his unforgiving self-hatred, decided he definitely wasn’t going to get any sleep so instead he’d do what he’s always done when he cant’s sleep; watch the ocean.

 

He walked onto the main deck, immediately a calm, warm breeze greeted him as he did. Chanyeol undid the buckle of his sheath until it was loose enough that his sword fell to the ground. He stepped away from the belt and walked to the ledge of the ship, looking over at the water below. It was a sight that always influenced Chanyeol’s state of mind, no matter the situation. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, letting the peaceful, stillness of the water overtake his worries and doubts.

 

Moments later he heard the sound of shuffling coming from beside him. He tried to ignore it, hopefully it was another crew member, Jaebum or Jinyoung, so they’d see Chanyeol with eyes closed staring over at the water and understand he wants-needs-­ to be alone.

 

He heard it again, the sound, this time closer to him than before. Chanyeol squeezed his eyes tighter in hopes of signaling to whoever was there that he didn’t desire company. There was silence, complete and utter silence again. Chanyeol opened his eyes to see Jongin there-a shirtless Jongin, Chanyeol noted-, leaning over the ledge of the ship in the same way Chanyeol was. “Jongin.” Chanyeol said.

 

Jongin scoffed, but didn’t bother to look at him, instead he kept his eyes glued to the water. Chanyeol didn’t push the younger, instead he watched the way Jongin’s chest would rise and fall with every breath he took. Chanyeol was entranced by the vision that Jongin was, his entire mind, body and soul were his and only his, even if the younger refused to accept it. As Chanyeol stared longer, he noticed thin, slightly raised lines littered all over Jongin’s arms, back and chest. “What happened to your skin?” Chanyeol questioned.

 

“A couple swords, a few knives, some rocks. That kind of stuff.”

 

Chanyeol was taken aback by the casual way Jongin spoke of his body being damaged by various weaponry, like it was normal for him. “How did it happen?” Chanyeol questioned, his anger almost showing in his words.

 

Jongin scoffed again, but didn’t reply. This time Chanyeol was going to push. He would get Jongin to tell him exactly what happened. Chanyeol wanted to kill whoever dared scar his truest love. “Jongin tell me.”

 

“That’s not me anymore.” Jongin said.

 

“Jongin-“

 

Don’t,” Jongin snarled. “Do not call me that ever again.”

 

Chanyeol was nearly frightened by the harshness that flowed from Jongin’s once sweet voice.

 

“Then what do I call you?” Chanyeol questioned.

 

“Kai.”

 

Chanyeol chuckled. “Kai huh? Is that what Junmyeon named you?”

 

“No.” Jongin replied, almost angrily.

 

"Then where'd the name come from?'

 

“Doesn’t matter.” Jongin replied. “All that matters is Jongin was weak, and now he’s dead.”

 

“I love Jongin.” Chanyeol replied.

 

Jongin seemed to tense at Chanyeol’s words. “Don’t.” he said.

 

“Why? You don’t believe me?” Chanyeol replied.

 

“You’re a liar, why should I believe anything you have to say?”

 

Chanyeol scoffed and turned so he could face Jongin, who, as if he knew Chanyeol was going to turn and look at him, was already facing Chanyeol. “I lied. I lied, because of love. I knew you’d hate me and I loved you so damn much that it blinded me.”

 

Jongin scoffed for the third time in this conversation and rolled his eyes. “Of course, it’s love! Love is definitely the thing that drives a man to murder innocents for no reason.”

 

Chanyeol had to look away at the mention of his past. It still ate him up inside and it seemed all the important people knew it. When Chanyeol finally chanced a look back at Jongin he saw the other was still fuming in rage. “I could kill you.” Jongin said almost suddenly.

 

Chanyeol shook his head. “If you really know me, then you know you can’t.”

 

Jongin chuckled, as if Chanyeol’s words meant nothing. Like they were a joke. “Maybe once, but not now. I’m not weak, anymore Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol watched as Jongin reached down and pulled two blades, Chanyeol recognized them as Sai, from his boots. “Nice blades.” Chanyeol commented. “You sure you know how to use them?”

 

Jongin didn’t respond with words, but with a quick swipe of his wrist, his blade nearly slicing through Chanyeol’s flesh. Chanyeol, too shocked for words quickly darted to the side, grabbing his sword from the ground where he’d left it earlier. He held his blade up just as Jongin was swinging his down towards him.

 

Chanyeol didn’t think their fight would be evenly matched, but he really didn’t think that it would be him who would be struggling to keep up with the moves Jongin used. Jongin was quite the skilled fighter now, every single attack he sent Chanyeol’s way was calculated and deadly. All his kicks and punches hit Chanyeol exactly the way Jongin seemed to want to.

 

Chanyeol, after getting sick of the taste of blood in his mouth, stops fighting Jongin and starts fighting Kai. Chanyeol swings his weapon, not in murderous ways, but if he hit Jongin it would definitely be damaging. With each of the two men hitting and slicing each other’s skin soon the two both grow tired.

 

Chanyeol kicks Jongin hard in the stomach knocking him backwards and lifts his sword to deliver a final blow that would surely put Jongin down long enough to keep him from continuing the flight, but Jongin uses the two prongs of his Sai to rip the weapon out of Chanyeol’s hand.

 

Chanyeol is fast enough in his next move that Jongin barely has time to register one of his weapons being knocked out of his hand. Chanyeol picks it up and uses it to slice at Jongin’s hand, causing him to drop his other weapon. Chanyeol lifts his hand, ready to bring the blunt end of the weapon down on Jongin’s head, but Jongin immediately lunges forward. He wraps a hand around the blade in Chanyeol’s hand, his own blood dripping down the blade didn't seem to be bothering him, as he rips the weapon out of Chanyeol;s hand and tosses it aside. Jongin continuously slams his fist down on Chanyeol’s face, over and over, until Chanyeol can kick the younger hard in the chest, sending him flying backwards.

 

The amount of adrenaline pumping through Jongin’s veins allows him to get up far quicker than Chanyeol. He darts over to older man, just as he is almost on his feet and grabs him by his shirt and tosses him aside before Chanyeol has a chance to catch his balance. “You’re going to die!” Jongin yells as he kicks Chanyeol in the stomach, sending his body into the side of the ship.

 

When Chanyeol stands back up Jongin sends his elbow flying towards his face. “Do you hear me?” Jongin screams, kicking Chanyeol as hard as he can.

 

Chanyeol is currently hunched over, his own blood nearly choking him as he inhales in attempt to catch his breath. Jongin grabs a fistful of Chanyeol’s hair and slams his head into the ledge of the ship, pressing his cheek into the wood. “You don’t know what evil is!” Jongin snarls into Chanyeol’s ear just before he pulls Chanyeol's hair backwards.

 

“I’m bad!” Jongin screams, hitting Chanyeol again.

 

Jongin continues to kick and punch Chanyeol until he notices the other isn’t fighting back. Jongin lets out a sound akin to a roar and sends even more fists Chanyeol’s way. “Fight back!” he growls.

 

Jongin swings his hand to hit Chanyeol again, but Chanyeol put his arm up to block him. Jongin is quick to knee Chanyeol’s stomach and immediately after begin punching him in the face. He only gets a couple of hits in before Chanyeol grabs his arm and twists the limb behind Jongin back. “Nice try Kai.” Chanyeol says.

 

Instead of snapping the bone, like Jongin assumed he would, Chanyeol pushes Jongin forward causing him to stumble to the ground. “I’ve seen this before.” Chanyeol says as Jongin starts getting up. “I know what you want.” Chanyeol states mater of factly.

 

Jongin doesn’t reply, instead opts to punch Chanyeol hard in the face. Chanyeol does the same immediately after. “And I’m not gonna give it to you.” Chanyeol finishes.

 

Jongin makes numerous attempts to hit Chanyeol, but Chanyeol blocks every one.

 

Chanyeol hits Jongin hard enough to cause him to stumble back. “I’m not going to make it easy for you.” Chanyeol says.

 

Jongin snarls loudly and starts throwing punches again, not appearing to really be aiming. Chanyeol simply leans back to avoid each of Jongin’s hits.

 

Suddenly Chanyeol ducks down and grabs Jongin’s arms, pushing them down. Jongin screams and beings clawing and slapping at Chanyeol’s chest, not able to punch anymore. “I’m evil!” he screeches at the top of his lungs. “I’m bad! I’m evil Chanyeol!”

 

Jongin continues to scream how he’s bad and evil as tears begin to stain his cheeks. “Do you hear me? I’m bad…” Jongin attempts to keep yelling and growling, but his voice cracks and lowers.

 

Jongin stops his assault on Chanyeol’s chest and just begins grasping at his shirt, pulling at him as he cries.

 

 “I’m bad...please… Chanyeol please just do it.” Jongin begs, still slightly pulling at Chanyeol’s shirt. “Chan... just do it...please just do it…” he whimpers. “Just kill me… just kill me…”

 

Finally, Jongin begins to openly sob. He no longer feels able to fight as Chanyeol pulls him into his arms, holding him there as tightly and comfortingly as he can. The two of them fall to the ground and Jongin just continues to weep into Chanyeol’s shoulder. “Shh… It’s alright, it’s okay, I’m here… Shh.” Chanyeol says into Jongin’s ears while he pets back Jongin’s hair out of his face.

 

The only sounds now are Jongin’s whimpers and Chanyeol sweet, gentle shushes. The two stay like that for some undeterminable amount of time, until suddenly Jongin slips from Chanyeol’s arms, tearing them apart, leaving them alone. 

 

 

 

~~~

Author's Note: You may have noticed, I was gone for a bit (technical difficulties heehee ^.^) but, I'M BACK NOW. And I am going to make up all the weeks I was absent with extra chapters until I can get back into the regular swing of things. A little explaination for this chapter, at first I imagined it going in a very different direction, but then that didn't happen while I was writing... And so you get this. I bet you're confused huh? ;) No worries friends, I have a new plan! If I were you, I'd get excited for the next couple of chapters to come. Spoiler Alert, we gon' have a ChanKai reunion... And who remembers Mark? Let's just say Junmyeon isn't pleased with the most recent turn of events... Thanks to all who read this story, much love to ye... Byeeeee