Jongin: Kings Are Free

Call to the Sea

Jongin was little when it first happened, no more than seven. His mother had just died of an illness that passed through their village killing many in the process. When he returned home on ne day from selling the last of their cow's milk, he was met with a drunken and angry man that was hardly remember ecognizable as his father. 

He set down the small satchel with the cloth, bread and few coins he collected down on a small table near the door. His father's shadow in the kitchen could be seen from the doorway and Jongin assumed he was making dinner. His father couldn't cook like his mother could, but Jongin didn't care because it showed he cared enough to try. 

This was not the case. When Jongin reached the entryway to the kitchen he saw his father staring out the window a cigar in one hand and a bottle in the other. Jongin swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat and croaked out a question. "D-dad? What are you looking at?"

"Your mother." he replied. 

"W-what?" 

Jongin was confused as his mother's grave was to the east of the house and his father was facing north. "She's here. Right there." 

Jongin had to stand on the tip of his toes to see out the small window. He saw nothing but a dying oak tree and dead grass, like always. He was going to voice this observation when his father suddenly dropped the bottle in his hand, glass shattering all over the ground in return. His father yelled and dropped to his knees as if to catch the bottle. He slammed his hands into the glass shards and immediately a shocked and horrified Jongin darted to his side. "Father you're bleeding!" he cried. 

Jongin grabbed his father's hand but before he could tend to the wound his father slammed a fist into his jaw. 

Jongin didn't have time to question it before it happened again. His father was screaming at the top of his lungs some mostly unintelligible words. Jongin swore he heard the words your fault. 

Later that day Jongin stumbled outside to feed the horse, his passion for animals couldn't be overshadowed by anything, not even his own pain. He was suddenly greeted by his best friend Krystal. "Jongin?" she said in a singsong voice. 

Jongin didn't turn to her in fear of her seeing the bruises on his face. The evidence that he was truly responsible for his mother's death. Krystal was immediately confused by his silence and she walked around so they were face to face. Needless to say she was shocked. She asked what happened and tears began to prick at Jongin's eyes. "Jongin... Don't cry..." 

"I'm so weak..." Jongin mumbled. 

"You're not weak. You're a king.”

“This isn't a game.” Jongin replied. 

Krystal ignore him and continued. “Kings aren't weak, they can face anything." 

"King Jongin... It doesn't sound very good." 

"Then we'll have to think of new name for you." Krystal pondered a moment, looking away before she came up with the perfect idea. "Kai. King Kai."

Jongin liked the way it sounded. There was a certain ring to it that Jongin thought he could hold onto.

***

"Well are you planning on going?" Krystal asked, skipping after Jongin as he began to put various items in a satchel. 

"Wherever the wind takes me." he replied. 

Krystal scoffed. "That's stupid in a least a thousand different ways." 

"Says you." 

"Says me." she affirmed. "You can't just run away. You'll probably get killed out there." 

"I've never been outside of the village. There's so many things I've never seen. Things I want to see, we talked about this." 

Krystal looked at the ground and her brows furrowed. "There's bandits a-and pirates out there-"

Jongin finished packing the small bag of coins, the knife, the rope and small bit of food he planned on taking with him. He swung his satchel over his shoulder and began walking away. Krystal had to pull up slightly on her dress to keep from tripping over it as she darted after him. "Jongin!" she called.

"You can't change my mind." Jongin said quickly. 

"Obviously. I don't want to anyway, you should do this." 

Jongin smiled, glad that she was finally supporting his decision. "I just want you to be careful."

"When am I not?" 

"Is that a trick question?" 

Jongin chuckled and turned to leave. He was just about the leap onto his horse when he quickly turned around and grabbed Krystal and pulled her into a hug. "I'll be back. I promise." he said. 

Krystal sniffles and pushed Jongin away. "No tears remember?" she said. 

Jongin smiled and nodded. He jumped onto the horse and Krystal tightened on of the bags tied to the saddle although Jongin made sure it was tight enough already. "Don't die out there." 

"Don't worry, King Kai can face anything remember?"