Chapter 36

My Unwilling Fiancé

 

 

They say a picture could tell so many things, well in this case it really is telling something. Just one look and you’ll know what it is and who were doing it. A poster size picture of Jonghyun and Luna kissing is posted on the bulletin board where everyone is free to look at it. Who posted it and why still remains a mystery though.

Amber hastily sent Luna a message to not go to school for today but she must have missed it since Luna is now seen walking the unusually quiet corridors. You’d think they’d be loud chatter about the picture now that Luna’s here but they just stared at her which made her more uncomfortable. Good thing she saw Taemin and she quickly went to greet him.

“Taemin!” Luna called him and felt like everyone’s eyes are on her yet again. Did she shout? She only called his name with her normal voice. But why is everyone staring at her from the time she entered the campus?

“Luna why are you here?” was the first thing Taemin said to her instead of greeting her.

She smiled at him even so and told him that she has classes this morning but Taemin frowned even more. “Did you not get Amber’s message?”

“Bwoh? I did not check my phone, oh wait.” She searched her bag but her phone is not there. “Oops, I think I left my phone.” Taemin sighed and scratched his head. “Wae? What’s wrong?”

“Luna, I think it’s best if we leave and just skip classes,” Taemin said.

“But Taemin –” before she could even finish what she has to say a number of girls that are very familiar to her now since she had slapped one of them approached them. “Oh oh,” Luna murmured and quietly slips behind Taemin.

“Well if it isn’t the little angel,” Hyebin cooed with a big grin on her face and arms crossed. Her eyes are glaring though, she wanted to attack Luna right now but Taemin is here so she has to remain composed.

“What do you girls want?” Taemin said as he felt Luna even tugged on his shirt from behind. These girls must have been bothering her.

“Taemin don’t tell me you still like her after you’ve seen that photo!” one of the girls exclaimed dramatically.

“You’ve got nothing to do with her so why are bothering her?” Taemin continued ignoring them.

“Oh come on Taemin that picture tells it all. She’s nothing but a hiding behind that innocent face!”

“And you think she’d choose someone else but no, she chose Jonghyun oppa!” Hyebin said. “ Maybe you didn’t see it clearly, here we got a copy of it.”

Luna came out from behind Taemin before he could stop her. She grabbed the copy of the picture that Hyebin was presenting to Taemin.

“H-how… ” she was unable to finish her words maybe too stunned to even continue. Taemin took the photo from her and threw it on the floor he then grabbed Luna’s hand and led her away from the Hyebin and the other girls. He was glad she did not protest and just let him pull her all the way to the building’s fire exit where he knows they’d be alone at least for the moment.

“Taemin, how did that picture –”

“We still don’t know who took that picture,” Taemin cut her off. “I don’t know Luna but someone’s out trying to destroy you both.”

Luna told him about what really happened that time after they played bowling and how Jonghyun kissed her Minho and Key were there too. She never thought this could become a problem.

“What are we going to do?” she asked not expecting an answer.

“Everyone in school knows it already,” Taemin said as his phone rings. “Minho hyung,” he said seeing the name shown on the screen. “Oh hyung, yes she’s with me. Where? Okay I know.” He ended the call and turned to Luna. “Hyung wants to see you. Come on they’re waiting for us.”

 

_

 

Jonghyun waited with Minho for Luna and Taemin to come. Key and Amber had already asked the school administrator to get all of the pictures off any bulletin in the school.

“I shouldn’t have taken that picture,” Minho said for the tenth time now as he paces back and forth. They were inside the school theater. Jonghyun made sure that no one would enter except them. “Jonghyun, you sure you did not make another copy of that picture?” He only sent one copy to Jonghyun so that’d make it two since he was the other one who has it but he lost his phone so only Jonghyun has a copy of it.

“I never sent anyone a copy of it Minho I swear,” Jonghyun said. The hit he took from Minho is still healing and he would not do something that low.

Amber entered together with Key and both of them saw Taemin and Luna come in afterwards. Minho could see the worry on Luna’s face and he hated himself more for taking that picture.

He ran to her and pulled her in a quick hug. “Are you okay?” he asked as she nodded slowly. Only Jonghyun knows that he was the one who took that picture.

“I think it’s better if Luna would just skip class today and go home,” Amber suggested.

“We’ve talked to her teachers already,” Key said.

“But what about you?” she asked Minho.

“I’ll stay and handle things here, Amber is right you should go home first. Promise we’ll fix it here and you can come to school tomorrow.” It was easy to tell Luna to go home, Amber volunteered to get her home and Taemin said he’ll drive them.

Only then when the three were out that Minho told Key he was the one who took the picture.

“Are you crazy?” Key said almost angry at Minho.

“He did it at the time when he and Luna were still not getting along Key,” Jonghyun said.

“But still, why would you even do that? Were you planning on destroying her or something?”

Minho did not answer, maybe he was at that time.

“That’s not important anymore Key, it’s already done. The picture is out and we have to do some damage control here,” Jonghyun cut in. “Minho lost his phone weeks ago and I’m the only one who has a copy of it.”

“Are you sure you did not get drunk and sent it to someone else?” Key asked almost interrogating Jonghyun but Minho can’t blame him he’s just trying to help

“No, you know I’d never do that beside my phone’s always with –” he stopped midway remembering something.

“What?” both Key and Minho asked him.

“Someone had my phone for a few minutes,” Jonghyun said considering if he’d say it.

“Who?” Key asked before Minho could.

“Well it can’t be, they’re –” Jonghyun said not finishing his words.

“Jonghyun spill it out!”

“Onew left his phone when he was trying to escape death by Minho’s hands. I took it and since I can’t get to him without encountering Minho again, I thought of giving it to Krystal.”

“What are you exactly saying?” Minho asked in frustration.

“I thought I was giving her my phone but it turned out I handed her my phone so –”

“Are you saying Krystal might be the one who did this?”

“No, but aside from me she’s the only one who handled my phone,” Jonghyun said. “But we should not just assume here, we need to talk to her.”

Just then Onew entered startling the three of them, Minho had just recently found out that Onew was blackmailing Krystal. “Uhm what’s up guy…?” Onew said seeing the scary look on their faces.

Minho stood up from where he was seated and Onew thought he did something wrong again but he never talked to Luna since that last time. “Uhm wait Minho –”

“Hyung,” Minho began. “Do you know where Krystal is?”

 

_

Onew convinced his three friends to let him talk to Krystal first, he needed to make sure if she has nothing to do with this. He called her and she agreed to meet him at a café near the school. He was already there drinking coffee when Krystal arrived. Minho, Key and Jonghyun had all agreed to wait in the car.

Once Krystal was seated Onew got to the point and asked her about the picture, he saw her hesitate before giving him an answer.

“I never –”

“Krystal, I think you should tell me the truth now so I could help you.”

“What do you mean?”

“Minho and the others are out there just waiting for us to finish here and they’re here to ask you the same question Krystal. Did you take a look at Jonghyun’s phone?” He asked again.

“I didn’t,” Krystal answered and he saw the look on Onew’s eyes. He believes her and she felt somehow relieved.

“Good,” Onew said and stood up.

“Wait, that’s it?” Krystal asked as if Onew is supposed to ask her more. He’s going to let her go just like that? She lied, of course she had taken a look at Jonghyun’s phone thinking that it was Onew’s.

“Of course,” Onew replied. “Uhm I got to go, I won’t be bothering you this afternoon so don’t miss that much okay?” he said and waved and even ruffled her hair before leaving.

Minho, Key and Jonghyun waited for Onew inside the car just outside the coffee shop Minho got out of the car once he saw Onew coming out of the coffee shop Key and Jonghyun followed.

“So what did Krystal say?” Key asked before Minho could.

“It’s not her, she said she didn’t take a look at Jonghyun’s phone.”

“And you believe her?” both Jonghyun and Minho said at the same time.

“Of course, she would not lie to me.”

“Onew this is Krystal we’re talking about,” Jonghyun said.

“Meaning…?”

“Onew, the whole school knows she’s got the biggest crush on Minho and then Luna’s becomes his fiancée –”

“Plus Krystal hates Luna,” Key added and Onew turned to him. “Amber says so.” Jonghyun and Minho nodded.

“Guys, you can’t exactly accuse her of doing this when you have no proof,” Onew felt the need to defend Krystal.

“Onew how many days have you exactly known her? She’s not nice,” Key said trying to make Onew understand that Krystal is not the person he thinks she is.

“I think you’re just judging her too much, come on she’s changed.”

“No one can change overnight,” Jonghyun. “She’s still a b-”

“Stop it Jonghyun,” Onew hissed somewhat annoyed at his friends.

Suddenly Minho saw Krystal walking out of the coffee shop and called her. She stopped walking when she saw Minho running for her the others followed him.

“Oppa…” Krystal whispered as Minho stopped in front of her.

“It’s you right?”

“Neh?”

“You’re the one who posted those picture of Jonghyun and Luna kissing!”

“Minho wait! What are you doing? I’ve already told you she has nothing to do with it!” Onew grabbed Minho’s arm stopping him from advancing another step closer to Krystal.

“And you actually believe her?” Minho said unable to contain his anger. Truth is he’s angry at himself for even taking that picture, but if Krystal was really the one who posted it then she’s got to pay.

“Oppa,” Krystal tried to talk but Minho stop her.

“Give me your phone!” Minho demanded. “I said your phone!” he grabbed Krystal right hand which was actually holding her phone and yanked it away from her.

“Stop it Minho I’m not going to let you do that to her!” Onew said and pushed Minho away from Krystal and getting her phone back.

“Hyung!” Key exclaimed astonished as how Onew reacted.

“She already said she has nothing to do with it. She didn’t even take a look at Jonghyun’s phone!” Onew said firmly.

“Oh yeah? Then why don’t we check her phone?” Minho said still not calming down.

“Yeah why don’t we do that. Let’s just end this guys before we start fighting each other,” Jonghyun agreed with Minho. “Key you check her phone.”

Onew handed the phone to Key while Krystal watched helplessly. She wanted to grab her phone and just ran away from them all. Onew was confident enough that they won't find anything.

It took Key a while to find what they were looking for but his expression grew grim when he saw the picture saved in Krystal’s phone. He showed it to the others and Onew’s face fell.

“Wait, you said you didn’t,” Onew said looking at Krystal who bowed her head.

“Of course she lied to you!” Minho shouted and was going to grab Krystal but Jonghyun stopped him.

“You told me you didn’t even take a look at Jonghyun’s phone,” Onew said but Krystal never met his eyes.

“I lied,” she said at last looking up to see the disappointment written on Onew’s face. “But I didn’t post the picture I swear -

“You can say that a lot of times Krystal but do you expect us to believe you?”

“No, I mean p-please I didn’t really Onew please,” she turned to Onew again.

“You have no idea how much trouble you’ve caused Krystal,” Key said. “The whole school already knows. What happens if your parents and Minho’s parents find out too?”

“She won’t care about that anymore as long as she gets what she wants,” Minho said hating everything about Krystal now.

“No, I’ll tell them it was just a –”

“Come on you guys, it’s no use talking to her now,” Minho said. She’s still Luna’s sister and she won’t like it if they do something to her. 

“Onew wait!” Krystal wait tugged on Onew’s arm stopping him from following his friends. “Please listen to me, I didn’t post it. Yes I did look at Jonghyun’s phone thinking that it was yours.”

“So you were trying to check if there’s something you could use against me but instead you hit the jackpot and decided to ruin another person’s life?”

“No, I just –”

“No? What are you going to do with that picture anyway? You copied and kept the picture Krystal, and you have a motive. You want them to break up right?”

“No, of course not,” Krystal whispered now with tears in her eyes. Why won’t he believe her now that she’s telling the truth? Can’t she have another chance?

Onew reached inside his coat revealing her diary. “I was going to give it you this weekend.” He held out the diary to her but she did not reach for it. “I actually thought you’re just misunderstood and deep inside you’re really nice that you just need a chance to be nice but I guess I was wrong.” He grabbed her hand and placed her diary on it then he left without looking back.

Krystal stood there even after they were gone, even when Onew had left. Yes she lied, and she did copy the picture. At the back of her mind it’s true that she wanted to break up Minho and Luna but it’s one thing to think of it than actually doing it right? She didn’t do it but she lied. One lie and Onew turned his back at her. She was again labeled the sister.