Chapter 51

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sorry for the long wait. (4 months)

I've been so busy with school.

I finally found time this week. 

I had this chapter in draft and was editing it for a while.

Hopefully this chapter brings you a bit of happiness.

Now let me go eat something.

Haneul went to Yangsan to see the building owned by Spades. They ran a small warehouse there where they trade weapons. Haneul worked all week with no break so that she would be able to travel to busan today. The car ride there was an hour and she was glad that Hanbyul let her come alone. The other Exo member wanted to come with her but she refused them. They would only get in her way of finding the truth. Haneul exited her hotel and went to her car, she got in and turned the engine on. She drove out onto the street and made her way to Busan. She followed the GPS on her phone and made her way safely to the home. She parked outside against the brick wall and got out. She saw how the neighborhood was on the edge of town, far away from people. Haneul rang the doorbell and a few seconds later a young boy who looked a few years younger than her opened the door. He looked at her and then was about to close the gate on her.

“We don’t want whatever you’re selling.” He said.

“I’m here to ask if you have a sister named Lee Bora?” Haneul asked.

“Why are you asking?” He asked.

“I’m here to find her, she is my sister.” Haneul said.

“Wait, I’ll be right back.” He said.

He shut the gate on Haneul and ran back inside the house. A few seconds later he came back with a woman who looked like his mom. She came and opened the gate for Haneul and let her in.

“Please come inside.” Mrs. Lee said.

Haneul nodded and came inside, she followed them inside their house. She was told to take a seat on the sofa and she sat down. Haneul noticed how there were only a few photos of Bora in the house. They all were photos of Bora when she was a child, around the age of ten or eleven. The lady placed a glass of water on the table and talked to Haneul.

“You’re here to look for Bora?” Mrs. Lee asked.

“Yes, recently my parents passed away without telling me I had a sister. I found records of her when I was cleaning up our house.” Haneul lied.

“Honey, you’re too late.” Mrs. Lee said.

Haneul noticed how the lady was going to cry and then her son came to her. He wrapped his arms around her while rubbing her back.

“Where is Bora? If you don’t mind me asking.” Haneul said.

The lady wiped her tears and held onto her son who was rubbing circles in her back to calm her down.

“Bora passed away at the age of 11, she… she was hit by a drunk driver on her way to the playground with her brother.” Mrs. Lee said.

Haneul couldn’t believe it, Jaesoek’s child was dead. Haneul was too shocked to cry and she grabbed onto the lady’s hand.

“Are you lying to me right now? She’s dead?” Haneul asked.

“She died protecting her brother, my son Raon.” Mrs. Lee said.

The lady cried while her son tried to comfort her, Haneul also cried with them. Haneul didn’t know what this emotion was but she cried her heart out. After a few minutes of them crying the lady wiped her tears and smiled at Haneul.

“I’m sorry for telling you even sadder news. You lost your parents and now your sister.” Mrs. Lee said.

Haneul wiped her tears and nodded her head at the lady. The lady turned to Raon and whispered something into his ear and he left them. The lady came over to Haneul and sat down by her side to comfort Haneul.

“I’m so sorry to tell you this. Bora was an angel, she was funny and caring. We spent every moment laughing because of her. She was taken too soon from us.” Mrs. Lee said.

“At least she lived a good life.” Haneul said.

“My husband and I adopted her because we couldn’t have any kids. We’ve been married for 10 plus years and we had no children. We adopted her when we heard her story, she arrived at the orphanage in a bloody blanket and she had no name. We named her when we adopted her, she was a baby who didn’t cry much.” Mrs. Lee said.

“I still don’t know how she ended up at the orphanage. I don’t know anything about her.” Haneul said.

Raon returned with a binder and handed it to his mom, she opened it and showed the photos of Bora to Haneul. She explained all the photos and how old she was in each one. Haneul laughed and smiled with Mrs. Lee as she recalled the memories.

“Thank you for showing me these. Is it possible if I can take photos of them.” Haneul asked.

“You can keep a few of them to keep as memories.” Mrs. Lee said.

“Thank you.” Haneul said.

Haneul took a few of the photos and placed them into her bag. She looked at Mrs. Lee who was wiping her tears.

“Is it possible for you to show me where her resting place is at?” Haneul asked.

“We have her buried in the mountains, I can take you there. It’s only a few minutes by walking.” Mrs. Lee said.

“Thank you so much.” Haneul said.

Mrs. Lee got up and Raon stood up to help her get her things. Haneul grabbed her bag and swung it over her shoulder. They exited the house and Haneul followed after them. They talked about Bora as they made their way to a super long vertical staircase.

“After we walk up these stairs we will be at the burial grounds. She’s on the opposite side and next to my husband.” Mrs. Lee said.

“Oh, I’m sorry for your loss.” Haneul said.

“He passed away a few years after Bora, he had a heart attack.” Mrs. Lee said.

They started to ascend the stairs. Haneul tried not to ask many questions as it seemed like Mrs. Lee was having a hard time going up the stairs. They only made it halfway and they took a seat at a rest area.

“How old is your son now?” Haneul asked.

“He is 14 now, he was four when Bora passed away.” Mrs. Lee said.

Haneul turned towards him and he looked away from her. Haneul looked back at Mrs. Lee who was patting his head.

“They must have been really close. I’m jealous of their relationship.” Haneul said.

“Bora was always playing with him and they were inseparable. Her death was hard for him because he was so young he didn’t understand what happened.” Mrs. Lee said.

“I’m thankful she had someone to rely on. I feel sad knowing that I couldn’t be there for her.” Haneul said.

“We showered her with love, we didn’t want her to be lonely.” Mrs. Lee said.

“I can’t wait to meet her.” Haneul said.

“I think she is excited to meet you too.” Raon said.

Haneul turned towards him and she smiled at him. He returned her smile shyly and they continued on their way to the top of the stairs. They finally made it to the top and Haneul saw Mrs. Lee struggled a bit. So she helped Mrs. Lee by holding her arm as they made their way to Bora’s resting place. There was a tombstone with Bora’s name on it and Mrs. Lee kneeled in front of it. Haneul kneeled along with her son and they stayed silent.

“Bora, I brought your sister to visit you. She came to find you after so many years.” Mrs. Lee said.

Mrs. Lee reached for Haneul’s hand and held them while she talked to Bora.

“Don’t be mad at her, she didn’t know that she had a sister. At least know you know that you had a family other than us.” Mrs. Lee said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter