Chapter 40

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rain was falling harder by the second, this day was already filled enough with sadness. The rain fell on her and she could be less worried about it. All she could feel was the eyes on her, she knew what they were thinking. With Gramps gone, Haneul would be the next leader but with Jaeseok on her tail. They were all waiting and watching to see who would rise from the ashes. It was a fight they didn’t want to be involved in, it was a battle of pride. Haneul watched as they lowered Gramp’s body into the ground and she didn’t cry once. Haneul was the first one to walk up, she looked down at the coffin. She realized that this was only the beginning, the end was far from now. She threw the white lily into on top of the casket and prayed for his soul to be cleansed. For all the wrong doings and killings would be washed away but she knew with the things they did would never wash away. Hanuel stepped to the side and turned back to look at the people behind her. 

“Please come and say your last goodbyes.” Haneul said.

People started forming a line, they threw their white lilies into the grave. Haneul saw Mr. Jung came up to her and took her hand to the side where no one could hear them. They stood under the tree which helped block the rain. 

“The things you asked me about last week. I have a file ready, I already had one of my men slip it into your car.” Mr. Jung said.

“Thank you for helping me.” Haneul said.

“Anything for you.” Mr. Jung said.

“Was Gramps always like that?” Hanuel asked.

“Like what?” Mr. Jung said.

“Cold towards everyone. I don’t know how many times he’s smiled at me, maybe like 3 times.” Haneul said.

“He used to be very different but you will know when you read the files.” Mr. Jung said.

“I miss Mrs. Jung.” Hanuel said.

“I miss her too but she’s in a better place.” Mr. Jung said.

“I should have never ran away. Mrs. Jung’s cancer was getting bigger by the day. I should have spent my days by her side.” Haneul said.

“Don’t blame yourself, she wouldn’t like it if you did.” Mr. Jung said.

“You might not know but I had actually returned for her funeral service.” Haneul said.

“I had a feeling you were watching nearby.” Mr. Jung said.

“It’s been two years already, the time sure does fly.” Haneul said.

“It seems like just yesterday when she left.” Mr. Jung said.

“Enough of this sad talk. I’ll let you know if I need anything eles.” Hanuel said.

“Alright, then I will be going home now.” Mr. Jung said.

Haneul bowed to Mr. Jung as his men ran to his side and held the umbrella for him. Haneul stood from the side and watched as people slowly dispersed. Kris came towards her holding an umbrella, he held a hand out to her. Haneul took his hand and walked towards him, he wrapped his arm around her and kissed the top of her head.

“You alright?” Kris asked.

“I’m holding on. Where’s Huan?” Haneul asked.

“I left him with Xiumin and D.O.” Kris said.

“I haven't seen anyone since this morning or even in the last week.” Haneul said.

“I know, you’ve been busy all week preparing for the funeral.” Kris said.

“I’m exhausted but I have to keep going.” Hanuel said.

“Tell me if you’re sad, happy, tired, or sleepy. You’ve been bottling it up since Gramps passed.” Kris said.

“Right now I feel comfortable in your arms.” Haneul said.

Kris rubbed her back and Haneul stared up at him. In this moment, she felt like time had stopped. She was in the arms of her lover and nothing could make her feel this way. She knew Kris was trying his best and this was all she needed from him was his comfort. She felt like the pressure from Gramps lifted off from her. This was what she always wanted but with him gone, there was no one to guide her anymore and no one to fight with anymore. More importantly her only family member was gone, he was everything she had left. The only person she needed the most has gone to a better place now. 

“They’re wrapping up now. We should head back home soon.” Kris said.

“When will Lawyer Ahn arrive at the house?” Haneul asked.

“Jae called to let me know 10 minutes ago that he had arrived.” Kris said. 

“Let’s head home then.” Hanuel said.

“Do you want to go with me or are you going with Baekhyun?” Kris asked.

“I’ll ride with you but we need to pick someone up along the way.” Haneul said.

“Who are we going to pick up?” Kris asked.

“You’ll see when we get there.” Haneul said.

Hanuel smiled as she held Kris’ hand, he held the umbrella over them as they walked to his car. Haneul leaned her head on his shoulder, everything felt just right at this moment. She hoped to be in his arms a little longer but time would never stop for them.

The door opened as Haneul dragged Hanbyul behind her, Kris entered last and took his seat next to Tao. Haneul and Hanbyul sat on the couch next to Suho, who patted Hanbyul on the back. Lawyer Ahn came towards Hanbyul and looked at his face closely. 

“Are you Hanbyul?” Lawyer Ahn asked.

“Yes, it’s me Mr. Ahn.” Hanbyul said.

Lawyer Ahn tried to hold back his tears, standing before him was the little boy he remembered when he first started working for the Choi family.

“Your grandpa would be so happy to know you are alive.” Lawyer Ahn said.

“It’s a little too late now.” Hanbyul said.

“How come you didn’t go to the funeral service.” Lawyer Ahn asked.

“I don’t feel safe if I come.” Hanbyul said.

“It’s alright, all that matters is you’re here now.” Lawyer Ahn said.

Lawyer Ahn tried to shake Hangbyul’s hand but Haneul reached out her hand to stop him. She looked at him and nodded her head for him to start.

“I think it’s time to read his will now.” Haneul said.

“Yes, I will right away.” Lawyer Ahn said.

Lawyer Ahn returned to the desk and clapped his hands so that everyone’s attention was on him. 

“Since everyone is here, I will discuss Gramps' will.” Lawyer Ahn said.

Lawyer Ahn continued talking while Kris leaned over to talk to Tao.

“How come no one told me about Hanbyul.” Kris said.

Tao turned back to face Kris and shook his head in disappointment.

“At that time it was best to not let you know. You and Haneul were like in this weird phase so it was kind of hard to let you know then.” Tao said.

“But still you could have at least said something when Luhan was doing that crazy experiment on us.” Kris said.

“Why? It’s not like it's important for you to know either. Also that experiment, no o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter