Making Changes

A New Kind of Love

***MINHO***

 

I paced back and forth in my living room, anxiously waiting for either Yuri or Key to arrive. The kids were at school right now, so we three decided to meet at my place, where we would be undisturbed. 
Unfortunately, I foolishly forgot to tell Yuri and Kibum to arrive at separate times. Now, I had no way of knowing who would arrive first; if they arrived at the same time, an awkward conversation would surely follow.

 


I glanced at my watch. Both of them were ten minutes late. I paced frantically for another minute until I heard a knock on the door. I hastily walked and opened it, a refreshed Yuri coming into view. It finally struck me that this was the first time in almost four months that I was seeing Yuri in person. I soon realized I was not prepared to see her again, but it was too late, for we had already made eye contact.

 

***YURI***

 


"Choi Minho..." I whispered, gazing into his eyes. I felt like I should say something else, but nothing could come to mind. I forgot that I had not seen Minho face-to-face in around four months or so. After a long silence, he engulfed me in a hug, breaking my frozen trance. I waited a moment before slowly hugging back. It had been so long since I felt his warm body close to mine.

 


He pulled back to see me and held my shoulders. He was shaking. "I'm sorry, it's just been so long since I've seen you."


"Yea, it has..." I nodded and looked behind him. "Are Soo and Yoogeun here?"

 

He shook his head. "They're off at school right now. You were with Yoona all this time, right? How have you gone to work?"

 

I chuckled. "I took a bus to work. It's harder to commute via car everyday." An awkward silence followed before we proceeded into the living room. "Um, so, I take it that he isn't here yet?"

 

"Huh?"

 

"Your boyfrie-" Wow. I'd never thought I'd be saying that to my husband. "I mean you're... um... I'm sorry. I forgot his name. What was it again?"

 

He smiled and awkwardly chuckled. "Kim Kibum. He should be arriving soon." I nodded, not exactly sure how to respond. "Look, I know that it's going to be awkward between the three of us. I've clearly made a lot of bad choices which culminated in this really messed up situation, and I can't apologize enough for-"

 

"Minho, it's ok. You don't need to apologize for any of this."

 

He sighed. "I'm just trying to ease any tensions. Kibum's going to feel just as awkward and nervous as you are. Perhaps even more than you."


I raised an eyebrow. "What makes you say that?"

 

"He hasn't met you yet. And because we're legally binded to each other, he feels like more of an intruder than a friend to the family. It will be easier for you because we have our kids, while he thinks of himself as a complete stranger barging in."

 

My mouth hung agape, lacking an appropriate response to Minho's frank statement. How could anybody possibly respond to such a straightforward remark? It took me a moment to process exactly what he was saying. I never thought about how Kibum felt about the matter; I just assumed he wanted to be with Minho and stop there.

 

At that moment, the doorbell rang. I sat down on the sofa while Minho went to answer the door. I slid my hand across the familiar sofa cushions and smiled, remembering that I was home again.

 

I stood up at the sound of footsteps entering the room. Minho walked in with a reserved-looking male following behind.


"Yuri, this is Kibum. Kibum-ah, this is Yuri."


We looked at each other without saying a word. I was all too infatuated with his appearance to wonder why he was so quiet. His hair was artificially black in color; he had a few piercings along his cartilage and one on his inner ear. What struck me as most astonishing were his plump, heart-shaped lips.


The longer I looked at his face, the more fascinated I grew by it. His pores appeared to be nonexistent. His smooth complexion was comparable to that of perfection. His features complimented each other well to the point where I could not distinguish whether or not he was wearing makeup. Of all the features on his face, his brown almond-shaped eyes intrigued me the most: he appeared to be wearing eyeliner-

 

"Kim Kibum." He fully bowed his head, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Nice to meet you."

 

From his face, I could tell he was just as confused and apprehensive as I was, which gave me some sort of comfort. His gentle voice also helped to ease some of the tension. At the same time, I was befuddled at how someone with such a fierce, bold style could act so shy and gentle. "Kwon Yuri." I slightly bowed my head.

 

With nothing left to say, we both looked away. He quickly sat down in the sofa chair, while I settled on the far side of the couch. Minho firmly sat down on the coffee table in front of us.

 

"Alright, now that we're all somewhat acquainted, I'll start us off. First off, I want to apologize again for getting you two involved in this mess I created." Hearing him apologize for the umpteenth time broke my heart. I couldn't imagine the struggle of choosing between my spouse and my beloved without hurting either one. It was difficult to be mad at him for having feelings for someone else when he was constantly saying sorry. Kibum and I both tried to interject, but Minho held his hand up, signaling us to just listen. "I made a lot (and I mean a LOT) of rash decisions that hurt both of you and - if not handled properly - could hurt our kids." He motioned to me at the mention of 'our kids'. "I hope you guys understand that I don't mean to hurt any of you. I called both of you here, not to start arguments or create awkwardness or friction, but to sort this out."


 

 He sighed deeply, rested his elbows on his thighs, and leaned forward, entering full-on rant mode. "If I could, I would just wish for a world where we could all live in peace and harmony. I've made too many decisions that built up to this fiasco to say that I regret any of them. And I can't say that I'd want to reverse anything because, honestly, I'd lose too much. My choices have created both wonderful and unfortunate circumstances. For one thing, I know I don't regret having Sooyoung and Yoogeun with you." He directed his hand in my direction, but did not look at me. In a lower voice, he continued, "And I certainly don't regret meeting you..." He pointed his other hand at Kibum, without looking at him. He took deep breaths to cool down from his rant.

 

Kibum's eyes sparkled at the remark. He hesitantly reached for Minho, eventually holding his hand. His reddened face seemed to lighten when he felt Kibum's touch. I watched from afar as his breaths cooled and his thumb caressed the other's hand. Minho quickly removed his hand when he realized that I was mutely watching them, which broke my heart even more. Kibum sat back in the chair and looked away from both of us.


"And then there's the possibility of divorce..."


Kibum raised an eyebrow. He did not interject, but he mouthed the word 'possibility?'.


I spoke for him. "What do you mean 'possibility'?"


Realizing what slipped out of his mouth, Minho turned toward Kibum and grabbed his hands. "That's not what I..." He turned toward me. I nodded, signaling to him to proceed. "I meant that I don't know if I want to go through with divorce so quickly. Then Yoo and Soo would grow up with a split family. I do not want to live without them or see them only a few times a month or a year, and I would not be able to handle separating you from them. I worry that they'll despise us for it." He turned back to Kibum and squeezed his hands, probably to reassure him that he was the one that Minho truly wanted to be with in the end. Something about the experience seemed to warm my heart.


Minho suddenly sat up straight. "Kibum, what if you moved in..."


I gasped. "No Minho!" They both looked at me in shock. Don't misunderstand, I am ok with my current husband being with his true love, but I don't think I'd consent to seeing them together from the moment I wake up each morning.

 

I took a moment to recompose myself. "Minho, how about for now we just sleep in different rooms? I agree that our children should not grow up in a split environment. You can still see Kibum privately. Maybe after some time I can move out and Kibum can move in, or something like that. But for now, I don't think that that would be best. Our kids go to sleep first anyway. If we sleep in separate rooms, it would not be that big a change."

 

He looked at me. "You'd be okay with that? Knowing that I'm with someone else?"


"It will take some getting used to, but I think it's a safe place to start."


He and I looked at Kibum, who avoided eye contact. "Kibum-ah, you've been awfully quiet this whole time. What do you think? Is there something you'd like to add?"

 

"Huh?" He looked up at Minho, then at me, then at an empty space beyond. He timidly drummed his fingers on Minho's hand and forcefully removed his hands. He softly replied, "I don't think the bedroom thing is a bad idea, as long as you two are okay with it. It doesn't really impact me since I live in my own apartment. Although, if you two are not going to formally divorce... then I don't think I'll be comfortable barging in." I widened my eyes at the use of the word 'barging'. It made Kibum sound like a nuisance or an intruder. "I mean, I know how you two feel about each other and about me, but I can't go on public dates with a married man." Of course. I forgot about that. "It would just feel weird for me. Then again, it would also be weird if two divorced people live in the same house. *sigh* And then there's Minho's father we'd have to worry about if we make anything official."

 

I raised my eyebrows in confusion. Minho's father? I mean, of couse we'd have to tell our parents what's going on - heck, they completely left my mind up until now - but why only mention his father? "I'm sorry, what would Minho's father have to do with this?"

 

"Minho didn't tell you?"

 

"Tell me what..."

 

Kibum widened his eyes. "Minho? How could you not tell her-"

 

"D-Don't blame him. I walked out the moment Minho told me about you. In fact, I still don't know half the deal with you except that you two were once lovers." Minho and Key both widened their eyes in shock. Woah, I could not believe how easily those words escaped my mouth. "One of you, tell me what I'm missing."

 

The two men looked at each other, looking for help. Kibum motioned for Minho to speak. The latter turned to me and, in heavy words, replied, "My father split us up. He separated us a year before I met and married you."

 

...

His father split them up...?

"How..." My mind went blank. "Wait, your father is the reason why you two broke up?" Both nodded hesitantly. I raised both of my eyebrows in confusion. All this time, I thought that Minho was trying to mend a broken relationship. I thought they broke up naturally and he suddenly decided to get back together with Kibum. All of a sudden, things started piecing themselves together. "But... why would your father do that? I-I thought you two broke up on your own... like a fight or something... Why did he..."


Minho smacked his own knee in anger, frightening me. "He did it all because Kibum's a man! He didn't care about how I felt about him, or how much I loved him, or how good of a person Kibum is. He separated us solely because of his gender. Hell, he was so angry, he gave up on being polite and threw frickin' hot tea in Kibum's face!" He huffed and reddened. I hadn't seen him this furious since this altercation he had with his father. I don't remember what it was about, but he was just as red at the time. Kibum held his hand again, calming him down and restoring his color. "I'm sorry. Just thinking about what happened makes me so mad."

 

I gasped, horrified at the revelation I made. I stood up from the couch and grabbed my head. I wanted to tear my hair out. "Oh my god... OH MY GOD!!" I shrieked and walked behind the couch, looking away from the other two in the room.

 

"What is it?" I heard Kibum ask.


"Yuri, what's gotten into you?"


I turned around to face him. "Minho... your father... Our kids... He's our kids' grandfather, Minho! Your father's an animal! A-A tyrant! Don't you see it, Minho? That monster is the grandfather to our kids!"


Both of their eyes widened. "Yuri... why would you..." Minho seemed at a loss for words, which was natural since I've never used such language. "I mean, you're not completely wrong... but he's nice to our children. Why are you-"


"Minho! I don't want our kids growing up to be such prejudiced monsters! What if they end up bullying other kids for being different? Or what if one of them is gay? Minho! Imagine the horror! If your grandfather worked so hard to split you two up, imagine how he'd treat our Yoogeunie... or Sooyoung..." I grabbed my heart and collapsed on the couch. "How could he be so heartless? So cruel!?"

 

I may have overreacted, I'll admit, but I did so because a good amount of my friends are not straight. I've heard stories about them being harassed and beaten for it. Because of this, I couldn't handle the thought of my own father-in-law being homophobic. Truthfully, I never loved Minho's father before, but now, I hated him. Minho's father represented the kind of people in the world that I despised.

 

Minho walked over to me and grabbed my shoulders. "Yuri, calm down. We'll do all we can to keep my father out of this. This will just be between the three of us. And honestly, I never felt comfortably having our children near their grandfather. We'll do what we can to keep them apart, which won't be hard to do since all he focuses on is business. Point is, we'll be fine, ok?"


His confidence scared me. I was surprised he didn't jump to defend his father. He must have been some father to make his own son turn on him so defiantly. I nodded skeptically and released a heavy sigh.

 

"Ok. I trust you. So, is there anything else we need to cover?"

 

"Well, let's see: we'll start sleeping in separate rooms, for one thing. What about inviting Kibum over?"


"What do you mean?"


"He has met Sooyoung and Yoogeun already. I had him babysit a couple times."


Oh, he already met them? "Having him as a babysitter won't hurt, if he's ok with it." We both looked to him, who quietly nodded. "But can we give it some time before you... you know, invite him over and everything?"

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I just mean that I want to reassimilate into the household before you show off your date in front of me and the kids..."


"Oh, I see what you mean. Yea, we won't rub it in."


I chuckled. "What would we say if either of our parents came over and saw us sleeping separately?"


"Either kick them out or say that you have back pain."


I giggled. "Okay, anything else?"

 

We both looked at Kibum. I realized that he was quiet all throughout our talk.

 

He said in a small voice, "Are you two going to file for divorce?"


Minho and I looked at each other. Again, I had forgotten about us getting divorced. I figured that I'd split with Minho so he could be with Kibum, but I never thought I'd have to officialize it so soon.


Minho seemed apprehensive about responding - for fear of upsetting his love - so I took the initiative. "The process takes at least six weeks. Some take even longer. We should start as soon as possible."


Kibum nodded and silence resumed. He appeared to lighten up a bit at the comforting thought. Now I realized what Minho meant about Kibum feeling like an intruder. He was quiet all this time because he didn't want to say the wrong thing. He was also nervous every time Minho and I addressed each other, especially since we're still legally married. I think I see why our divorce is so important to him: it guarantees that I'm no longer Minho's. With us still legally binded, Kibum would practically be Minho's mistress.

 


Just then, he glanced at his phone and sprung up. "I'm sorry. Are we done here? I-I just remembered that I have to finish a lot of work for the office. I need to get started as soon as I can."

 

Minho had told me earlier that Kibum worked for a fashion agency, but I didn't expect him to leave so soon. Nonetheless, Minho and I nodded, allowing him to leave.

 

Minho stood up. "I think we have a place to start. That's all I really wanted from our discussion. And if something comes up, we'll just find time to meet again. You can go now. Actually, I'll walk you to your car."

 

Both Kibum and I widened our eyes in surprise at the request. Kibum looked toward me, but I didn't signal anything in response, so he awkwardly turned back to Minho. "Oh, o-okay." He faced me again. "It was really nice meeting you." He gave a shy, adorable smile.

 

I returned a small smile. "Nice meeting you too." And I'm happy to say that I wasn't lying when I said that. He was nothing like I expected him to be, but he was amiable and gentle. I don't think our awkwardness will last long.

 

***MINHO***


"What's the matter? You hardly spoke today."

 

Kibum shrugged. "I'm sorry. She's your wife and all. I didn't want to interrupt."

 

"Interrupt what? It was pretty silent a couple of times."

 

He sighed. "I don't know. I just don't want her to hate me." We both stopped when we reached his car. "I was just thinking, what if it was me in that situation? What if you and I were dating and your or my ex just came in and tried to include himself or herself in our exclusive unit? If they just arrogantly stuck themselves between us? I'd be pissed, and so because of that, I can't blame Yuri for being pissed as well."

 

I turned him to face me and sighed, absorbing his words. How could I remove him from such a mindset?

 

I pulled him into a hug. "Listen to me. Yuri does not hate you, and if she does, I'll make sure that she changes her mind. But she's not the kind of person who would get angry without understanding your point of view. She knows that you are nervous about this; in fact, she's just as nervous as you are. She does not think of you like that, so don't think of yourself like that. You're here because I want you here, with me. Don't beat yourself up."

 

He pulled back so I could see his beautiful almond-shaped eyes. "You're serious about divorce?"

 

I smiled. "YES, Kim Kibum, you are the person I want to be with for the rest of my life. I'm doing all this so I can have you. And I can't have you if I'm married." 

 

That put a smile on his face, and he pressed our lips together. "I'll call you when I'm done. You'd better answer this time."

 

I deadpanned. "I TOLD you I was in the shower that time!"

 

"So why didn't you call back!?"

 

I rolled my eyes. "I am not having this conversation again. And for the future, I don't expect you to become BFFs with Yuri or anything, but at least try to talk to her. I don't want silent stares for as long as you're here."

 

He sighed. "I'll try." He pecked me once more before driving off.

 

I entered the living room just as Yuri was about to exit. "Wait, you're leaving again?"

 

"My stuff is still at Yoona's place. I won't be able to move back in today, but I may be able to tomorrow. How does that sound?"

 

"Okay, I guess. I hate to see you leave so soon."

 

"Aww you missed me that much?"

 

"Of course! You facilitate parenting, bills, and house cleaning. Do you know how hard it was to be the only parent? And eat my own cooking!?"

 

She cackled. "I'm sure one more day of your own cooking won't hurt. Or you could have your boyfriend cook?"

 

"Yah~!"

 

"I'm just kidding! Besides, you said he liked to cook. He's your boyfriend, why not have him cook? I won't be around to disturb your romantic time."

 

I glared at her. "Too soon."

 

"Why? I'm allowing my husband to eat with his significant other. Give me some credit!"

 

"But we're not divorced yet!" I whined. "Can't you just cook one meal?"

 

She laughed more before squeezing my cheek. "You're such a baby. You can't even wait one day. I'll be back before you know I'm gone." And with that, she left the house. I whined some more before collapsing on the couch, squirming at the thought of eating my own cooking again.

 

 

The next day

 

"Why won't you tell us what the surprise is!?" Yoogeun complained, pounding the car seat with his puny fist.

 

"If I told you, then it wouldn't be a surprise. Just wait a few minutes more."

 

"Appa~" Sooyoung pouted. "I want to know now! Is it a new toy?"

 

"No, it's not a toy. It's better than that. You both will love it."

 

"Appa~ can't you drive faster!? Sooyoung and I want that surprise NOW!" 

 

"I can't speed up. Traffic's too heavy. If I sped up, we'd crash into a car or person."

 

He slumped back in his seat in frustration. I smiled, knowing that they'd be in for quite the surprise once they reached home.

 

 

Before long, they entered the family room and immediately left my side. 

 

 

"UMMA!!!"

 

"Ahhh Yoogeunnie! Sooyoung-ah!" Yuri plopped onto her knees and engulfed both of them in her arms, planting kisses on their tiny heads. "Did you guys miss umma?"

 

"Of course we did!" Yoogeun cried. 

 

"Why were you gone for so long!?"

 

"A good friend of mine needed me for something very important. I promise, I won't be gone for as long again."

 

"Umma, don't ever leave us alone with appa again. I don't want to eat any more of his food!"

 

I raised my eyebrows and crouched down to their level. "Yoogeunah! My cooking wasn't that bad. It's not my fault, anyway. Men aren't made to be good at cooking."

 

Sooyoung interjected. "But Key Ahjussi's a man and he cooks better than you."

 

Yuri raised an eyebrow. "Key ahjussi?"

 

My smile dropped. "She's talking about Kibum..."

 

Yuri was silent for a moment, then she turned to Sooyoung. "Key ahjussi's a good cook, you say?" Both Sooyoung and Yoogeun nodded. "Then I guess I'll have him come over and teach your appa a thing or two about food."

 

I laughed, relieved that Yuri took it optimistically. For the rest of the night, all three of them assaulted my cooking skills and praised Yuri's. Truthfully, I was not mad in the slightest, because for once, I got to sit back and let Yuri cook for the family.

 

 

The next morning  

 

I hastily reached for my coffee cup, but Yuri held it away from me.

 

"Choi Minho, slow down! You are not about to leave on an empty stomach. You have enough time on your hands to eat breakfast before going for work. I'll drop the kids off today."

 

"But you just got back. And made all of us breakfast and lunch."

 

"It's the least I can do after all you've done for them these past few months. You deserve a break. Don't rush yourself."

 

Yoogeun and Sooyoung ran down the stairs. "Umma, appa, we're ready!" 

 

"Ok, sweetie! We'll leave now." She turned back to me. "Don't skip over your breakfast. Take your time."

 

I rolled my eyes at her early morning nagging, which I certainly did not miss. "I won't."

 

Out of habit, we leaned in to peck each other, but held back just in time. Our smiled quickly disappeared and we were left awkwardly staring at each other. At last, I realized that I would no longer have to feign any romantic gestures for my wife. 

 

Yuri, slightly pulling back, looked over to the food on the table. "Your breakfast is getting cold."

 

I nodded assuredly. "I'll eat well."

 

She nodded back, and promptly walked out of the kitchen to drop Sooyoung and Yoogeun off to school. I slumped onto the chair at the table. It would take longer than I thought to get used to things, but at least it was a start. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hiiii lovelies! wooahhhh a lot of went down this month. it's all happening too fast. Grimmie, Orlando... if u wanna read about my feelings, click here to read my latest blog posts: Don't be Triggered , So Much  

Additionally, I made another one shot!:DD once again, it's M rated but ONLY for the and . No violence or mature topics other than between two lovers (god why are all my one shots dirty XD) no triggers :) hope u enjoy: Surprise!

 

as always, PLEASE upvote, subscribe if u havent already, and comment! i love hearing feedback and i hope u all have a wonderful day <3333