Meeting Mr. Choi

A New Kind of Love
 
 
WARNING: CHAPTER CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE TO SOME READERS. READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.
 
My heart was racing as I pulled up in front of my dad's house. I loved my dad, but he can be kinda hard at times. There's no way I could predict how he'd take this news. 
 
"Are you ready?" Key asked, smiling. He obviously hadn't met my dad yet. If he did he wouldn't be this confident. 
 
I took some deep breaths and turned to him. "Yea. Let's go." We kissed once more and left our car. 
 
I nervously rang the doorbell. Kibum gripped my arm so I would stop shaking. But he immediately let go when my dad answered the door. 
 
"Choi Minho! Ahh~ it's so good to see you!" He hugged me and patted my back. He seemed happy. I could just imagine his expression turning sour. That happened a lot when things didn't go his way.
 
When we pulled away from our hug I decided it was time. "It's nice to see you too, Dad." I smiled genuinely and moved Kibum in front of us. "Appa, this is that friend that I was referring to. This is Kim Kibum."
 
Key bowed down a full ninety degrees and politely introduced himself. "It's nice to meet you sir. I'm Kim Kibum."
 
"It's very nice to meet you too, Kibum. Here, come inside."
 
He led us to the living room where he sat in this big sofa chair with his tea on the table in front. Key and I sat side by side on the sofa next to him. 
 
"Ja~ Minho, how have you been?"
 
"I've never felt better appa."
 
"How's Genie?"
 
"It's pretty good. Football team's pretty fun too."
 
"And you're enjoying those film classes?"
 
"Yea. They're really fun."
 
"That's good. You. Kibum-ssi, right?" Key nodded. "What are you majoring in? You don't look like an athlete."
 
Key chuckled. "It's true. I'm not an athlete. As for what I major in-" He hesitated. I nodded toward him, ushering him to continue. "...I major in fashion and design. I want to become a fashion designer."
 
My dad raised an eyebrow. "Fashion designer?"
 
Kibum continued. "I understand that it's a female dominated industry. But it's something I love. I know many males don't often-"
 
"So? There's nothing wrong with diversity here and there. And it's always good to see both genders work in a field together. Especially one as creative and artsy as fashion."
 
Kibum smiled wider. "Thank you, sir."
 
My dad smiled, which warmed us both. "You must be pretty artsy yourself to major in something like that."
 
"Yea. I love arts and crafts."
 
"Are you gonna work at Inkigayo?"
 
"Actually I was thinking of working in Paris for fashion. But if Inkigayo is where I land up then that's where I'll be."
 
"Why not work in Seoul? You can design new uniforms for the team!"
 
Key laughed. "Again sir, thank you. You're too kind."
 
My dad flashed the biggest smile I've ever seen on him. "You play any sports?"
 
Key shook his head. "I'm not much of an athlete. Although I really like water skiing. I was on the team in middle school."
 
I turned toward him. "You like water skiing?"
 
"I love it! I never told you?"
 
"I didn't hear any of this!"
 
"I'm pretty sure I told you in the dorm-"
 
"Aigoo, boys, settle down. Wait... in the dorm?"
 
"Oh? Minho didn't tell you?"
 
"Tell me what?"
I looked at Kibum. He couldn't tell my dad- 
 
"We're roommates. At Genie."
 
I sighed in relief. Dad leaned back, dumbfounded. "Heol~ Minho you didn't tell me this."
 
I nervously responded. "Well, now you know." I faked a smile. 
 
"Is there anything else you haven't told me?" He playfully inquired and sipped his tea.  
 
I took a deep breath. This was my chance. "Actually Appa, there is something you need to know. It's the reason why I brought Kibum here."
 
He turned serious but his smile was still present. "What is it son?"
 
I looked back at Key, who had a nervous look on his face. I turned back to my father. I tried to stabalize my breathing before starting. "I know you've always wanted me to find someone to love, and I'm very thankful that you care for me so much and I'm thankful for everything you've done for me. Honestly, I didn't think I'd ever find that person. Until I went to Genie. And met someone. This person has made me feel good about myself and has shown me what love is. I've never loved someone this much and in this way before. I brought that person with me today."
 
I could see the smile on my dad's face slowly fading, but I had to finish. "Appa," I lifted Key's hand and held it in my own. "That person is Kim Kibum. He's the love of my life."
 
His eyebrows raised. His smile was gone. He was probably just shocked. He removed the tea bag from his cup and placed it on the saucer. "So you mean to tell me, that you... love this man?"
 
I nodded. "Yes, Appa. He is the person I love."
 
"Kim Kibum, tell me, do you love Minho?" he asked calmly. 
 
"Yes sir. I love him from the bottom of my heart."
 
He smiled. "That's nice." He leaned forward, facing only Kibum with a devilish look in his eyes. "Now tell me, what's your purpose in trying to corrupt my son?"
 
My heart dropped and shattered into a million pieces. The hopeful smile that was previously on my face vanished into thin air. 
 
Kibum's smile disintegrated. "Uh- Uh- sir-"
 
"Did you really think I'd allow my son to be corrupted by your filthy ways? By a like you!?"
 
"Sir I'm not trying to corrupt-"
 
"And how dare you talk back to me!? Trying to defy me!? You sick son of a !!" He threw the hot tea from his cup straight into Key's face. I gasped, but Key didn't move a muscle. He didn't flinch. He didn't even blink as his face burned red from the tea. 
 
"APPA!!!" I shouted. 
 
"MINHO! Listen to me! I'm trying to protect you!"
 
"You're not trying to protect me from anything!"
 
"Oh , the got to you didn't he?" Dad sighed in disbelief. 
 
"He's not a !" 
 
"Minho listen to me! Listen to yourself! This guy's gotten under your skin! He's got you thinking that you love him! But he's really just playing with you! This -"
 
"Will you STOP saying that!? He's not the , I am!"
 
"Just listen to yourself! He's got you-"
 
"No, Appa, he hasn't done anything. It's all on me! I'm the one who kissed him!"
 
He sat back appalled. I didn't know what I had said until it came out of my mouth. I didn't really care if it was true or not. All I cared for was Key's well being. 
 
"Kibum-ssi," Dad finally said, breaking the silence. "Is it true?" He asked quietly. 
 
"I-I-Is what true, sir?"
 
"What Minho said? About him... you know..." Key looked toward me with worry in his eyes. "Don't look at him. Just tell me the truth."
 
"Th-The truth?" My dad nodded. "W-Well-"
 
"Stop stuttering boy! Out with it!"
 
His lips were shaking. "O-On the day of the big football game, he won. And then h-he kissed me..." At least he didn't lie. 
 
My dad scoffed, flabbergasted by the events that just took place in fromt of his eyes. 
 
Alas, he stood up from his chair. "Minho, come with me. You, stay here." He slowly walked to his bedroom and I quietly followed him. When his back was turned, I rubbed Key's back lovingly before following him. 
 
We entered his room. The minute I closed the door behind me he violently slapped me across my face. 
 
"How could you defy me!? How dare you bring shame to my name!?"
 
"Appa! Will you please listen to me!"
 
"You know what? I know what this is. You blame me for your mother leaving me so you're trying to defy me every moment you get! Huh!? Is that why you started taking film classes? Is that why you started ing that !?"
 
"DAD! STOP IT!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. "I love him and there's nothing you can do about it."
 
"NO Choi Minho! This is nothing but a phase. You'll get over it. But for now you have to trust me! What that kid is doing to you is unnatural! It's wrong Minho! This all just a phase. You're just confused that's all."
 
I realized then that it was no use trying to reason with him. And there was no way I was gonna let him get away with what he said to Key. If he couldn't see eye to eye with me then there's no point in even trying. 
 
"You know what, Appa? You're right. It was a phase."
 
He smiled. "See? Now you're getting it!"
 
"I'm sorry to have defied you all this time. But it may take a while for this phase to pass." Outside I tried to be sincere. Inside I was burning with rage, both because I had to lie and because dad couldn't comply if I stood up for myself and Key. "Until then, you and I should both leave Key alone. He's a good kid. He doesn't deserve to be 'corrupted.'"
 
"I believe you Choi. I can help you get through  this."
 
"Thanks Appa. I know I can count on you."
 
We hugged and made our way back to living room. Key was still on the sofa, still wet from the tea. He hadn't moved a muscle since we left. 
 
I wanted to help him wipe the tea off, but since my dad was in the room, I just tossed him a bunch of napkins. He calmly wiped his face dry.
 
"You and I will talk later. For now get in the car." I ordered coldly. 
 
He did as I said, but before leaving out the door he turned back to face my dad. "It was really nice meeting you sir. I'm really sorry if I have done something to upset you. I'll improve for the future to prevent any misunderstandings. Hope you have a nice day." He bowed a full ninety degrees and headed toward the car. 
 
As I watched him with sorrowful eyes, my dad came up behind me and patted my shoulder. "He's a good kid. I hate to see him off like that."
 
"He'll get over it. In the meanwhile, it will take me a while to get over my phase."
 
"Why do you say that?"
 
"Dad, I want to do something, but it's wrong. If I do it I may be able to recover faster. May I?"
 
He had no clue what I was talking about. "Sure, I guess, if it helps."
 
Great. That's all I needed. Without wasting a second I followed Key and reached him before he could reach the car. 
 
I turned him around. "What is it?" He asked. 
 
"My way of doing what I think is right." 
 
Before he could open his mouth to ask, I smashed his lips against mine, pulling him into the deepest kiss I've ever given. Key didn't fight back, but I don't think he could because he didn't see it coming. 
 
I was kinda aggressive, I'll admit, because I felt free. I felt relieved going against what my father said. To make things even better, I pulled him closer, wrapped my arms around him, and pulled him to the side to dip him. 
 
(I do NOT own this photo. I got it off of Pinterest on Google. But can we talk about how cute this is??)
 
I wish I could've seen the look on my dad's face. He was probably cursing to himself. But I didn't care. I felt free in this moment, since I was kissing the one I loved. 
 
After God knows how long, I finally broke our kiss and pulled Key back up. "I'll explain on the way back." I whispered as I kissed him one last time. I released him, and he subsequently went to the car and sat in the passenger seat. I made my way to my seat and fastened my seat belt. I smiled and waved goodbye to my dad - his mouth agape - as I drove off.