Too Soon?

A New Kind of Love

"Appa!!! Where's my lunch!?" Yoogeun cried. 

 
With Sooyoung in one hand, I carefully rushed to the counter and handed Yoogeun his lunch with my other hand. 
 
"Here's your lunch, Yoogeun. I'll be with you in a moment. I have to help Sooyoung get dressed."
 
Of course, I chose today to snooze my alarm. Three weeks have passed since Yuri left us, and to say that it has been hectic since then would be an understatement. I, after all, have had to make my kids breakfast AND pack lunch AND drive them to school, all while trying to get to work on time. Truthfully, I wasn't always rushing necessarily. Just today was hectic because I slept past the alarm. Overall, though, it was manageable. Just not as manageable as when Yuri was around. 
 
 
Luckily, I was able to drop the kids off and get to work on time, but at the expense of my rumbling stomach. I had to pick up coffee from the office, and that pretty much became my breakfast for the day. 
 
 
 
 
My hunger sat on my mind all throughout work today. I stopped by some place to get a burrito, but by then I had to run to pick up the kids and make dinner. Imagine that, the ONE time I decide snooze my alarm my whole day goes out of whack. 
 
 
***KEY***
 
 
What am I supposed to do? Spread my arms out and joyously run into his embrace merely days after he breaks up with his wife? How would she feel? How would I feel? Would it be okay? Would it even be right to grab hold of him after all these years? 
 
 
I don't want to grab him so soon, though, after his breakup. After all, he was the one who dumped her. I can only imagine how distraught she must have felt, and to snatch him away from her would just arouse more guilt in me, especially considering that I'm the reason they broke up. 
 
 
I haven't talked to Minho ever since our heated encounter, but I've been working up the courage to apologize for how I acted. I didn't necessarily forgive him for his actions; I just didn't want to be angry with him anymore. 
 
 
Finally, I took a deep breath and dialed his number. His phone rang a few times, which prompted me to prepare a message for him, but he picked up on the last few rings. 
 
 
"Hello? Key?"
 
 
Truthfully, I panicked a bit when I heard his voice. "...Hi." What should I say to him now? 
 
 
 
For a moment things were silent from both ends, but Minho eventually spoke, "Uh- What's up? You need something? Since you called-"
 
 
"Oh yeah! I-I wanted to talk to you-" I rolled my eyes. Why am I speaking so awkwardly? I shouldn't be nervous around him; he is my friend, after all. And still, I felt uneasy. 
 
 
In an attempt to ease the tension, I sighed deeply and calmly spoke, "I wanted to apologize for earlier-"
 
 
"Hold on, Kibum," he departed from the receiver briefly. My ears perceived rapid movement coming from the other end. "You're on speaker." I heard a constant, choppy beating on some surface. 
 
 
"Are you working or something?"
 
 
"Chopping. I have to cook dinner for my kids."
 
 
My eyebrow rose. "I didn't know you cooked."
 
 
I heard a groan of frustration from the other end. "I don't. But Yuri' been gone for the past three weeks so I have to do all the-"
 
"Gone? What do you mean 'gone'?"
 
He sighed with fatigue. "A while ago, right after I told her that I loved someone else, she left to stay with her friend. She said she'll be back but I don't know when."
 
 
She left? She was that hurt? The poor thing must be feeling lost and confused. Now being with Minho will only guilt me more. 
 
 
"I'm so sorry, Minho."
 
 
 
He sighed again. "Yea, me too." It's unfortunate that she had to leave. I doubt Minho saw it coming. "I'm sorry, I rudely interrupted you. What were you saying?"
 
 
Oh yea. I called to apologize for my behavior from earlier. "Uh... I can call back later if you're busy-"
 
 
At that moment a shrill "Oh !" pierced my ear, and rampant stomping and clattering followed. "JUST great!" He panted heavily. "Sorry about that. Again. I was making pasta and the water nearly boiled over."
 
 
I nodded. "Since you're busy, I'll just call back later."
 
 
"Wait! Are you busy right now?"
 
 
"...No... why?"
 
 
"It's just... Taemin's busy tonight," Taemin. A name that left my mind the moment I left on that train. "Could you help me? Please? It's hard doing all the cooking and helping Yoogeun and Sooyoung all by myself."
 
 
"...A-Are you asking me to come over?"
 
 
"If you're busy-"
 
 
"It's not that!" I nervously reassured. "I... I don't have your address. And also after the whole Yuri thing..."
 
 
 
"I promise I'm not trying to draw you in or anything. I just need help with dinner. If I text you my address will you come?"
 
 
"Uh... sure. I'll be there. But what if it's far-"
 
"It's not that far from your place."
 
 
I raised my eyebrow suspiciously. "How did you-"
 
 
"Kibum, I know where you live."
 
 
"Mwo!?!?? You son of a-" At that moment the whole fiasco with my apartment reemerged from my memories. I solemnly closed my eyes and replied through clenched teeth, "Oh right. I forgot."
 
 
"Great. Just come as soon as possible. I'll try to get as much done as I can to lessen the burden."
 
 
He hung up and promptly texted me his address. Before I could even think about what I was about to do I was already on my way. Minho was right: his house was only fifteen minutes away. After I rang the doorbell, I had to wait a few moments for him to answer. 
 
 
 
Once the door opened, my eyes came across a messy, frustrated Minho. His hair was out of whack, his clothes were wrinkled and his apron was covered in all kinds of dirt and grease. "Glad you could make it. Come in."
 
 
He led me to the kitchen of his grand house. My eyes widened at the horrendous sight. Needless to say, the kitchen looked like a typical school cafeteria. Or a junkyard. I could not exactly pinpoint it. 
 
 
"So... you called me here because...?"
 
 
"Because I can't do this by myself. I needed some help." 
 
 
I checked my watch; it was only 6:00. I turned back toward Minho. "How about this: leave me to all the kitchen work. You go clean yourself and your kids up."
 
 
He rolled his eyes. "Key, I didn't call you here just to have you do all the work."
 
 
Seeing such an untidy place hurt my eyes. Plus, I loved cooking, so I had no problem assuming control. "You've done enough by yourself. Give me about an hour and a half. Use this time to rest up and let me clean up this mess." Just as he was about to protest, I leaned in toward him and sniffed his neck. He reeked of sweat and grime. "And while you're at it, wash yourself. You smell like you haven't showered in years."
 
 
"Are you sure you want to do all of this?"
 
 
"Minho, I lived with you for almost five years and I did all the cooking. I think I can handle this just fine."
 
 
***MINHO***
 
 
That snout of his is certainly peculiar. I skipped my shower both yesterday and today, but I didn't think he'd be able to smell it. And the way he willingly took full control of the kitchen is just remarkable. 
Considering our encounter from the other day, I thought he wouldn't want anything to do with me. I'm surprised that he even showed up! I owe him a lot for what he's doing tonight.
 
 
 
I showered for a good twenty minutes, making sure my body odor was close to gone. I cannot recall the last time I felt this refreshed. 
 
It took me a while to decide what to wear. I mean, it's dinnertime and I'm not going out after, so why shouldn't I wear my pajamas? 
 
On the other hand, Key's here. How would he react if he saw me coming down the stairs in pajamas?
 
But it's my house! Why can't I wear them!?
 
 
 
...Then again, regardless of whether or not Key is staying for dinner, he is my guest. I should not act so rudely and dress in sleepwear. 
 
 
But if not pajamas, then what do I wear? I can't wear the same clothes that I wore when Key came, and I can't wear a business suit or nighttime clothes. So then what?
 
 
 
 
 
This argument with myself went on for about half an hour before I finally decided on a plain t-shirt and black trousers that were actually pajama pants but could pass for casual pants. 
 
 
For hair, I just kept it down. Gelling it up looked too showy, and would look ridiculous since I'm staying home. Keeping my hair down still looked pleasing without being lazy. 
 
 
Hang on, why am I trying to look good? It's my house, Key's just here to help with food; I have no reason to dress to impress. So why was I taking all this time to look good for him? Or at least, presentable to him?
 
 
I sighed. It was true. Once again, I had gone completely head over heels for him. If I can't even decide what to wear in front of him, how could I possibly maintain a solid marriage to someone else?
 
 
 
"Minho! Food's ready!"
 
 
 
Great. I was starving all day. Key's an amazing cook, so at least, given my bad day, I can look forward to something edible. 
 
 
I went to the playroom to retrieve the kids. 
 
 
"Yoogeun-ah! Sooyoung-ah! Dinner's ready!"
 
 
I scooped up Sooyoung in my arms and walked out of the room while Yoogeun followed. 
 
"What are we having tonight, appa?"
 
"You two are in for a treat. A good friend of mine came to help out with dinner."
 
 
"A friend?! Who is it, appa?" Yoogeun inquired with eyes as large as the oceans. 
 
"Is it Uncle Taemin?" Sooyoung showed a face of disgust. "He can't cook food."
 
 
"It's not Uncle Taemin. It's someone you have not met before. He's a really good cook. Trust me, I think you'll like his pas-"
 
 
 
I cut myself off when we reached the dining room. My eyes widened at the sight of the table. Looks like we're not going to have pasta tonight. Instead, we were in for some bibimbap, kimchi stew, and many vegetable sides. Kibum had really outdone himself. He had made enough food to feed a whole party. 
 
 
 
The prize-winning cook himself emerged from the kitchen in a messy apron. "I didn't know how much to make. You can store whatever's left as leftovers to finish later." He stopped dead in his tracks when he spotted me holding Sooyoung.  
 
 
"Sooyoung, Yoogeun, this is Kibum. He did all the cooking today."
 
 
Rather than introduce himself, Kibum simply stood there and gawked at the small person in my arms.
 
 
"Is there something wrong?" I asked. 
 
 
His eyes were focused on her, but they turned back toward "Huh? Oh. Hi. I'm Kibum." His eyes flashed from me to Yoogeun, back to me, and finally to Sooyoung. "Y-You'd told me you had two kids. I...I didn't realize they were so young..." His attention turned back to Sooyoung, his cheeks turning red. Yoogeun and I chuckled at each other. I think Kibum was infatuated with Sooyoung. 
 
 
 
"Key?"
 
 
 
"Huh? Oh, sorry! Uh... the food's mild so the kids don't have to worry about it being spicy-" 
 
 
"Appa!" Yoogeun's loud cry alerted Key back to his surroundings. "Is Kibum Ahjussi staying with us for dinner?"
 
 
Kibum and I looked at each other; my face bore curiosity, his panic and uncertainty. "Uh-Wel-Uh... I-I didn't think I should interrupt your family dinner-"
 
 
"Can't you stay~?" Yoogeun adorably pouted. "It gets lonely with just the three of us." 
 
 
 
My heart broke hearing that. I never wanted him to feel lonely without his mother. I did all I could to meet their needs by myself. I had no idea Yoogeun was feeling this way. 
I think Kibum could sense that too, because his expression softened when he looked into Yoogeun's beady eyes. 
 
 
"...I guess I could stay," He looked at me now. "if that's okay with your father."
 
 
I grinned without hesitation. "Of course you can stay. You helped me by going this far to cook dinner; it'd be a shame to not have you here to enjoy it."
 
 
We set up the round dinner table for the four of us. Key sat across from me, while Yoogeun and Sooyoung sat on either side of me. 
 
 
 
 
No chatter occurred until we first tasted the meal. Of course, I wasn't surprised because I've eaten his food for five years, so I happily reminisced the sensory flavor that came with every one of his meals; but for my kids, it was a whole new experience. 
 
 
"Wahh~~~ Key ahjussi's food is awesome!!" Yoogeun cheered with an adorable thumbs-up. "How do you make food this good?"
 
 
Key smiled modestly at the compliment. "It's what I love to do. And I learned from the best."
 
 
He looked over at Sooyoung and softened after seeing a wide grin stretched across her face. "You have a speck on the side of your mouth." She reached for it but could not find it, so he took his napkin and wiped it gently for her. "There you go."
 
 
Sooyoung giggled at his touch. 
 
 
"Sooyoung-ah, don't forget your manners."
 
 
She looked back at Key. "Gamsahamnida(감사합니다), Key ahjussi~~~" She flashed him her irresistable eye smile, which he was not ready for. 
 
 
 
I chuckled at her cuteness and ruffled her hair. "That's my girl."
 
 
 
Key blushed. "Mwoya~~" He mouthed to me, "She's so adorable!"
 
 
 
It went on like this for the rest of dinner. Key seemed to overcome any awkwardness he had toward Yoogeun and Sooyoung before, and they seemed to get along well. Seeing Key smile from talking with them warmed my heart, because it reminded me of how happy I was when I first saw them with my own eyes. At last, I got to be a father to these two beautiful angels. And everyday after that, they melted my heart with every smile, kiss and gesture. 
 
 
 
After dinner, Key helped me get them ready for bed. He even offered  - to my surprise - to help dress Sooyoung, who still had not been able to dress herself, while Yoogeun managed without any help. Yep, that's my boy. 
 
 
After tucking them in, Key and I made our way back to the kitchen to clean up. It was obvious that he was happy about meeting the kids. 
 
 
 
"Aigoo~ Minho they're so cute!! Sooyoung is an angel! And Yoogeun... Oh YOOGEUN!! He's like a Mini Minho! 
 
 
 
"I get that a lot."
 
 
"Ahh~ He's so cute! AND they're so polite!" His eyes widened to express astonishment. "Yahh~~ You really raised them well."
 
 
 
"You did well today, too! Are you sure you don't have kids? You acted like you've been a parent before. You were so natural around them."
 
 
 
"Haha, no. I never had kids. I helped babysit a coworker's a couple times. Plus, I love kids! All I want to do is put a smile on their cherubic faces."
 
 
 
"And you managed to do just that." I naturally stepped closer to him. "Thank you again for coming to help out. The kids really like you."
 
 
 
"Thank you for asking me to come. I liked meeting your kids. And cooking. Today I got to do both." A smiled stretched wide from one cheek to the other. 
 
 
I softened my voice. "Do you think that you could come over again?" When he didn't reply, I panicked that I had appeared desperate. I trued to focus on reason. "Being a single parent isn't easy. And the kids really like you-"
 
 
 
"Yea. I'd love to come over and see you and your kids again." He replied while leaning closer toward me, and then looked down. "Look, Minho, I wanted to apologize to what I said to you earlier, about ruining your marriage and all."
 
 
"Kibum, I told you this isn't your fault. Yuri's a wonderful mother and a great person, but I've wanted to break up with her ever since I married her. She just wasn't right for me."
 
 
"And I realize that you were acting in your own interests, and that's ok. We all do impulsive things every now and then."
 
 
"Yea. In hindsight, I really should have figured out a plan, like how to deal with the children, or even how to say it. Oh well. What's done is done. I'm parenting all alone. Sure it's hard, but in a way, it's what I asked for."
 
 
He rolled his eyes and leaned in closer. "No it's not. But hey, I'm here if you need anything. And as I said, I'm more than eager to help out with the kids."
 
 
 
 
I could not reply, for I got lost in Kibum's eyes before I could pull myself out. Before either of us could resist, we were moving closer and closer to each other. And before I knew it, I reconnected with his luscious, soft lips for the first time in ten years. 
 
 
 
 
The kiss lasted somewhere around three seconds, and was more of a lingering peck than a kiss, per se. The moment we pulled apart, we reverted to our original distance. We both looked away from each other. 
 
 
 
"I'm sorry," Key whispered. "I'm not ready yet-"
 
 
"Same. I'm sorry."
 
 
 
"No, no, it's not your fault...". He looked back into my eyes. "I-It's getting late. I should head back now."
 
 
I nodded in agreement, and he went to get his jacket and shoes while I simply stood there, speechless. 
 
 
 
Before leaving, he looked back at me once more. "I'll call you later. Have a good night."
 
 
 
I nodded. "Yea, you too."
 
 
He nodded back and then walked past me without another word. 
 
 
 
 
***KEY***
 
 
 
 
I gently brought the tips of my fingers to my mouth. Even though the kiss was quick, Minho's soft, sweet touch still lingered on my lips. I know I wasn't ready to plunge in so quickly into any form of a romantic relationship. At least, on the bright side, we left our bitter encounter from the other day behind us, and that's all that really mattered right now. 
 
 
 
I have to be honest, the peck was short, but I liked it. After nearly a decade, I got to feel those lips against mine again. I could not stop caressing my lips all throughout work. Had I been at a group meeting or something, my coworkers would ha e gawked at me for fondling my lips like an idiot. 
 
 
 
And speaking of looking into outer space like an idiot at work...
 
 
"Kibum-ssi."
 
 
 
I removed my hand from my lip and looked up at the secretary. "Yea?"
 
 
"I have someone here to see you."
 
 
 
"Who is it?"
 
 
 
"He says he's an old friend of yours."
 
 
 
Old friend? Who is it? Minho? No, he wouldn't think of coming here to surprise me. He's always busy with work. Not Woohyun because I talk with him practically every day.
 
 
Actually, it could be him...
 
 
"Let him in."
 
 
 
The secretary promptly left the room to tell the visitor that he could enter, and then very shortly after, a familiar face entered. I stood up out of surprise at the the moment I recognized his face. He had grown more handsome since the last time I saw him, but that did not alleviate the long-held resent I had for him. 
 
 
 
 
 
"...Lee Taemin..."
 
 
 
He smiled slightly. "Hi Key."
 
 
 
 
"What are you doing here?"
 
 
 
He stood in front of the small couch in my office that was typically reserved for clients. "I came to see you."
 
 
 
"How did you find me?"
 
 
"Minho told me you still worked at KKB. In fact, I'm actually here to pick up costumes for the idols at SM. I thought I'd stop by."
 
 
 
I could not comprehend how he was acting so casual, especially considering how he treated me when he found out about me and Minho. I crossed my arms and strolled to the front of my desk. "Minho told you..." I crossed my arms. "Really, Taemin, I'm very busy. If you're just here to berate me or whatever, then come some other time."
 
 
 
"No, please." His smile disappeared. He stepped closer to me. "I wanted to talk to you." He faced the area of floor between us. "I felt bad because I made you resent me for all these years. I lost a good friend and I didn't get to say goodbye to you when you left. And because of me, you were in critical condition and I irrationally antagonized you..."
 
 
 
He seemed genuine, since I knew that he was never comfortable with talking about serious issues or past mistakes; that's why he looked at the ground when he spoke. Plus, even though he rarely cried, he sure as hell sounded like he was about to. Still, I didn't think I was ready to forgive him yet. I know, one would think that I wouldn't mind after ten years, but considering that my heart blossomed with Minho around just like it did ten years ago, it did not feel right to let Taemin go so easily. 
 
 
 
He looked back up at me. "I am deeply sorry for causing all of this. I know none of this would have happened if I had not been so stupid. Minho still really cares about you... and I think you still... never mind. I wish I could forget it, or even better, completely undo what I did. And I don't want to spend the rest of my life feeling sorry."
 
 
...
 
 
...
 
 
 
...Speechless. He left me speechless to say the least. 
 
 
 
"Taemin... Taemin-ssi, I really have to get back to work."
 
 
 
He pressed his lips together and nodded. Before I could walk back to my desk chair and continue filling out paperwork, he closed the gap between us and hugged me tightly. 
 
 
 
In my years of working with him, I've never received a hug from him that was this personal. Or this tight. 
 
 
 
I tried to resist the urge to tightly hug him back, but I gave in to a light, awkward pat on the back. 
 
 
 
He had given me a pretty long hug. When he finally ended it, he pulled back and gripped my upper arms. "Welcome back to Korea, Kibum."
 
 
 
I could not respond. He slowly let go of me and looked back at me as he exited through the door. I finally walked back to my desk without another word. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
ok i got soooo many things to get off my chest:
 
 
 
1. HAVE U GUYS SEEN DESCENDANTS OF THE SUN!?!? I literally started watching bc of Onew but I didnt think it'd be so good!! :,,,D it's honestly one of the best dramas i've seen since My Love From the Star and everything - from the story line to the actors to MY KPOP UB ONEW to the awesome fighting scenes and well rounded characters - IS SO BEAUTIFUL
 
i encourage all of u to watch it. i truly believe this is one of the few kdramas that actually has the hype it deserves
 
 
 
2. So i actually meant to finish and post this last week but i didnt my bad :PP BUT i DID write another fic! it's a one shot i've been meaning to write for a while and as u guys know, minkey is my otp but for this i was like 'why not?' and i made it a jongkey fic instead! so all u jongkey fans can rejoice and u can read it here (and for those butthurt minkey fans u can just replace the name 'jonghyun' with minho lol :)) )
 
3. PLEASE COMMENT cuz u guys have no idea how much ur comments mean to me. and if u havent already done so, read my other fics here:
 
 
4. i dont remember asking earlier but what'd u guys think of Taemin's album!? I loved it and think i like it more than Ace BUT i am so bitter cuz uality was my FAVORITE on the album and the new rearranged version sounds so empty -____-
 
5. why do my one shots have more views and upvotes than this story did in the first few chapters? is it really that bad?
6. i'm curious: who's your otp? i want an idea so i can plan for my next fic or one shot if i ever write one
7. I have a poll on twitter concer ing Taemin's song uality. I was curious as to which version most fans preferred. if u'd like to vote, click here. i'd appreciate it if u did
i think that's all. if there is something else i will add it later. as  always comment ur thoughts below and i hope u enjoyed! :)