Final Goodbye

A New Kind of Love

I stared at the half empty closet in front of me. Key packed his possessions in his suitcase while I stood there. I still couldn't believe Key was really leaving for Paris. Key worked out a deal with KKB and my dad where he would still work for the company but in Paris. I'm surprised my dad was totally okay with the negotiation and didn't try to kill Key. Sure, maybe that's too much to think that my own father would do such a thing. But at this point I honestly don't know what to think of him anymore.

Key showed up from behind and plopped his chin on my shoulder. "Are you ready to go?"

I rested my head against his. "Sure. Are you?"

He back hugged me. "No. How can I be? I'm leaving everything I love behind here. My parents, my best friend, my job, my boyfriend..."

I knew both of us wanted to cry, but I couldn't let that happen. I turned around to embrace him. "Don't cry now, Kibum. Just because we're separating now doesn't mean what we have isn't real. I, Choi Minho, will always love you. Regardless of what anyone says."

He rested his against against my shoulder. "I know, but I don't wanna leave."

"I know, Kibum, I know."

I wished there was something I could've done to change it. But unfortunately, I couldn't make our situation any better.

After Key finished packing, we headed out of the apartment. I drove Key to the train station. From there he would ride to the airport and take the next flight to France. Our whole trip to the station was silent. I kept my focus on the road while Key stared out the window. Throughout the trip the memories we shared occupied my mind. From the time we first met to our first intimate time together, to me buying those rings for us, and so on. The future was very unclear for the both of us. Could we handle a secret long distance relationship? Or are we gonna break it off the minute the train takes off?

 

I finally pulled up in the parking lot. After a moment of silence and no movement, I turned to face Key. "This is it."

"Yea it is." He turned to me. "I'll call you as soon as I arrive in France."

"I'll look forward to that." I held his hands in mine. "Key, what about us? What are we now?"

He showed a look of uncertainty. "I don't know, honestly. I don't know if we'll be able to keep contact with your dad keeping us apart. We might be able to pull it off, who knows? I think we should see what happens. We'll see where that Paris phone call will take us."

We kissed and cuddled one last time before leaving the car. After Key got his ticket checked I walked him to the platform.

"Can you believe it's been four years since we've been together?" Key smiled and asked.

"I still can't believe it's been so long. Time flies when you're having fun huh?"

We both laughed. It's not the first time we laughed since he was released from the hospital, luckily. Once it was confirmed that Key would work in Paris we made the most of our time. We hung out at the beach and went bowling with our friends and did a bunch of other fun things together. We tried to cram as many laughs as we could before it would all be over for a long time. This moment would be our last laugh together.

Key stepped closer to hug me. I hesitated at first. But then he said, "I'm not going to kiss you. I can't do that here. Can't I at least do this in public?" He was right. I hugged him back deeply and managed to sneak a peck to the side of his head.

We hugged for a long time. We stayed in each other's warmth until the train arrived. We pulled back to see each other's eyes. "Oh yea, I almost forgot." He reached into his pocket and pulled something out. He held my hand and placed the object in it. "Here's the key to our- your apartment. I'll call you. I promise."

"Ok. I just hope you know that you are the best thing that has ever happened to me. No matter what happens in the future, you will always hold a place in my heart." My lip shook.

He raised his raised hand to my jaw and gently it. "Minho, whatever you do, please don't cry for me. I won't cry either if you don't."

I really wanted to weep, but I figured that that was the last thing any of us would want. And the last thing I'd want is for Key to cry.

"I won't cry here. I promise."

We hugged for the last time. "Goodbye, Choi Minho."

"Goodbye, Kim Kibum."

At last, he pulled away from me and made his way to the train entrance. He looked back at me one last time before turning back and boarding the train.

I can't believe it. Once that train leaves from this stop, Key is gone. I don't know how long it will be until I see him again. I can't imagine it would be that long. But it just dawned on me that I may never be able to see him again. Not through video chat, not through texts or social media, or even in person.

Just then, I heard a knock. I turned back to the train and saw Key sitting next to the window. He cracked a smile and placed his hand flat on the glass. I smiled and matched my hand to his. We both smilied at each other. I knew it was best to cherish this small moment while it lasted rather than spend it moping. In that moment, I was nothing but happy. Happy to have met someone like Key, and to have spent the last four years with him.

My smile gradually faded as the doors of the train closed, and I slowly but reluctantly removed my hand from the window as the train departed. Key didn't stop smiling, though, and he didn't remove his hand as the train left my sight.

 

A few hours later.

 

I headed back to the apartment after Key left. I tried to distract myself with homework but I ultimately failed. I was too distraught to focus on anything.

My phone kept ringing. I rushed to it each time, hoping that it was Key, who had just arrived in Paris and given me some kind of hope that everything would be alright. But to my chagrin, it was my dad. I ignored all his calls and texts. He was the sole reason I was like this. It would do neither me nor Key any justice to talk to him.

I didn't cry, to be honest. I felt that crying would not do me any good, and there would be no point in it, because Key was still going to be away from me.

A while later, someone knocked at my door. At first, I ignored it, but it then occurred to me that I had forgotten to lock it. The visitor seemed to recognize it to, because before I knew it, Taemin appeared before my eyes.

"I heard that Key left today."

I immediately got up from the chair I was sitting in and walked past him, just so I wouldn't have to look at him. "Did my dad send you here?" I scoffed. "He probably did cuz I wouldn't answer his calls or texts."

"No. He didn't. I came here by myself so I could see you. I knew you'd be like this."

I plopped down on the couch. "Like what?"

"Distraught, cranky, angry that he's gone." He sat on the sofa chair beside the couch.

I didn't know how to reply. Taemin continued. "I still rue everything I've done. Key wouldn't be gone. Your dad never would've found out and Key never would've gotten hurt. Honest, if there was a way I could undo all of this, I would. I lost a good friend and coworker. And worst of all, I didn't get to say goodbye. You may not believe me, and I completely understand because I wouldn't forgive myself either, but I truly am sorry for causing all this."

I sighed. I didn't want to be mad at him anymore. I had no courage for it. "It's ok. I mean, it's not, but I know you didn't mean for Key to get hurt. Honestly, if I hadn't met Key, I probably would've done the same thing. I would've been disapproving and angry."

"No you wouldn't. You're generally understanding of these issues. Either that, or you wouldn't care. Me though, I exploded the minute I found out." He paused. "You know, in a sense I'm kinda thankful for what happened. I dont mean Key getting hurt and leaving, but I think my mistake kinda made me a better person."

"Why do you say that?"

"Well, it turns out Jongin has been secretly dating the SM vocal instructor, Kyungsoo. I found out after I visited Key in the hospital. I guess seeing Key hurt in the hospital made me realize that loving someone of the same gender wasn't a bad thing. I mean, Key was still the same jovial person whom I've come to befriend. And you're still the same old bastard you always were. Most importantly, I saw that Jongin was happy, and I bet you and Key were too."

I smiled for a second, relishing in thoughts about Key, but it quickly disappeared because I remembered that he was gone.

"Minho?" Taemin asked. I was about to respond with something, but it was too late, because I had already started crying all over again. I buried my face in my hands. I heard Taemin come to my side on the couch. He pulled me into a friendly hug.

"Minho, it's ok. Just let it out."

I replied in between sobs. "I'm sorry I was mad at you this whole time. This isn't your fault."

"You have every right to me mad. But let's forget about that now."

I hugged him back. "I miss him so much!" I wailed loudly.

He rubbed my back. "I know, I miss him too."

"He's really gone..."

"I'm so sorry Minho."

I continued to cry. Taemin didn't leave me. Instead, we talked things through and decided to deal with our new lives ahead. Looking back, I was very thankful for that night. Although Key left, I got to cry because Key was gone, and for once, I wasn't alone. I also got my best friend back, and he was there when I needed someone the most.

 

 

 

 

lemme explain something about this story. long explanation ahead. If you do not wanna read long explanations then skip over what is highlighted below:

so I've had practically this entire story planned out for a LONG time. like two yrs or something. from Minkey meeting as roommates at a school to them moving into an aparment to Tae finding out the way he did to Key's assault to Minkey parting to what's gonna come up in the future, etc. I actually pictured this story as an idea for a live-action drama, which is why it's not so fluffy like other fanfics are. so I apologize if this story seems really drawn out but all the events in this story are exactly as I planned them to be. I thought of this as an awesome idea for a kdrama (cuz I'd love to see more same- relationships in k dramas even though it's unlikely) where a relationship like this takes place in an environment where so many ppl are against it. But they find refuge in events like Key dressing up as a girl to go to the dance with Minho and Jonghyun's wedding. And where it shows that regardless of gender, any two ppl can learn to love each other, and there's nothing wrong with that.

FYI: I deeply apologize if this chapter and the previous one happened too suddenly. unfortunately i was never able to smoothly bring up Minkey's separation. basically the idea is they cant be together at the moment and Key is forced to separate from Minho. if you guys do not like the story that's fine. feel free to unsubscribe. i'm really making this story to get it off my chest. the last thng i wanna do is disappoint but honestly i have no intentions of changing the story.

ok so now that that's out there, NEVER FEAR MINKEY SHIPPERS! Minkey may be split now but that does not mean it will end there! STAY TUNED! DON'T LOSE HOPE! ;))))