The Proposal

A New Kind of Love

***KEY***

 
"What!? You're going to be home late again!? ㅠㅠ" Minho texted back. 
 
"Mian, jagiya~ it's gonna be pretty busy here tonight." If only working at SM wasn't so strenuous. Even for us fashion designers. I knew the idols were worked to the bone but I had no idea all the other workers like producers, songwriters, and more endured the same pain. 
 
From: Minho "What about dinner?!"
 
To: Minho "lol my poor baby ㅋㅋ I'll only be here a couple more hours. I'll be back in time to make dinner. Otherwise I'll get takeout."
 
From: Minho "It's gonna be so lonely without you here."
 
I rolled my eyes and replied: "And you call me the clingy one."
 
From: Minho "ㅡㅡ just come home soon ok? There's something I need to talk to you about."
 
Aish this frog. "I'll be home as soon as I can. See you then sweetie <3"
 
"Alright. I'll wait patiently here for you yeobo~
 
I put my phone away and reverted my focus to my work. Minho said he had something to talk about with me. What could he mean? He has been acting a bit secretive lately. Oh no... oh no no no... we're drifting... No that can't be... but could it?
 
What if he isn't feeling it anymore? Or maybe I forgot something important... no his birthday was last month...
It's best not to get ahead of myself. I'll deal with it when he tells me tonight.
 
 
Three hours later
 
I made my way into our apartment with uneasiness. My nervousness quickly vanished when I laid eyes on Minho, who smiled at me and engulfed me in a warm hug. 
 
"So glad you're home."
 
I closed my eyes and hugged him deeply. "Same. I'm exhausted. I was waiting to come home to you." I lightly pecked his lips. "So what did you want to talk to me about?"
 
After a moment of hesitation, he pecked my lips and set my bag and jacket aside. He took my hands in his own and led me to the living room. He sat me down on the couch while he stood in front of me. 
 
I looked up at him in astonishment. "It's that serious huh?"
 
He shrugged. "I guess you could say-" immediately his expression turned even more serious. "I mean, yes it is serious. Very."
 
I nodded at his tone. This must be something important. He was still shaking uneasily. "You think you're ready?"
 
He looked up and nodded. "I'm ready." He took a deep breath and started speaking slowly.
 
"Kibum-ssi, I... I liked you from the moment I first laid eyes on you. You probably know that already." I chuckled. He rubbed the back of his neck. I could tell he was a bit nervous. Nevertheless, he proceeded. "These past few years have been nothing but good ones. Even if school or soccer or family or whatever got to me, you were there to alleviate some of the stress. And for that I'm very thankful to have you by my side."
 
I blushed. I could never take his flattery. But a part of me grew worried over where this was heading. He started by flattering me. Which could only mean something bad was coming up. 
 
He looked down to the ground. "This isn't easy for me to say. I know that you and I both want to... you know, be like every other couple. Take their relationship further."
 
"You mean-"
 
"Yea. Marriage."
 
I froze at that word. All this time I thought about us getting married and actually living together as opposed to just living together for convenience. But we never brought up that word once. 
 
He sat down next to me. "Kibum, as much as I'd love to call you my husband, we both know that's not possible. We can't get married, that's the unfortunate reality." He turned and removed something from his back pocket. "Which gives all the more reason for this."
 
He faced me and presented me a small box. 
 
I looked at him with uncertainty, but he nodded for me to take the box, so I did. I opened it and found myself looking at two gold rings. Each had a lining of silver which formed half of a heart. Together they made one heart. 
 
I covered my mouth to hush my oncoming sobs. My eyes started watering. That's when it all started making sense. 
 
"Oh Choi Minho!"
 
Minho continued, "Sure we can't get married, but that doesn't mean what we have isn't real. It doesn't mean we're not a couple. So, I got these couple rings for us. I want you to be with me for the rest of our lives. And I want to be there for you as well. I guess I got these to say that you are mine. Even if I can't officially declare to the world that I love you, at least we can have this for ourselves. At least we know that what we have is real." He paused. "Kinda cheesy huh?"
 
I couldn't answer because tears were flowing down my cheeks. I still couldn't surpress my sobs. What he did was something I've wanted for a while now. I could never ask for a better way.
 
He engulfed me in his arms. "You don't like it?"
 
I shook my head and pulled back to see his face. "No. I love it. You did all this for me. For us. I couldn't ask for anything more."
 
"So you accept my 'proposal'?"
 
I nodded rapidly and chuckled at the striking resemblance. "Yes. I'll accept it. Yes!" I smiled and pulled him closer to me. I wept into his brawny shoulder. 
 
After I finished crying we put the rings on each other. 
 
"They're so lovely." I whispered. We joined our hands and let our fingers intertwine. 
 
"They are aren't they? I got them just for us, you know. And these aren't official 'engagement rings' persay, so no one will suspect anything when they see me or you wear this."
 
"That's good enough for me. I'm so happy right now. Just, thanks for everything, Minho. For all you've done for me."
 
"Same for you. Thanks for sticking by my side. I love you so much."
 
"I love you too."
 
Hel lean in to kiss me. I caressed his neck to deepen the kiss and he carried me bridal style to the bedroom, which led to our steamy love making session that night. It was more passionate and love-filled than wild and reckless. Because what better way to celebrate our 'engagement' than to make passionate love to one another?
 
 
***THIRD PERSON POV***
 
Taemin's Apartment
 
Taemin, trying to keep his eyes open, continued working on his files. Who could have figured that even if you did what you loved as a career, you'd still have to deal with managing laborious files at a computer?
 
Taemin was alone in his apartment that night. His friend and roommate Jongin texted him earlier, saying that he'd spend the night at a friend's place. So that left Taemin working alone. 
 
He was also asked by a number of SM record producers to transfer some audio files to a flash drive. When he finally saved the files to his desired location, he noticed something peculiar. 
 
"What the hell is this?"
 
He was using Minho's laptop and noticed a document folder with an interesting name: My Family. 
 
As mondane as it may seem at first, this struck him as odd, because he knew Minho wasn't one to talk much about his family. Sure there was his hyung Minseok whom he loved, but Taemin had never heard Minho say much about his cousins or his mother. And he certainly doesn't favor his father all too well. So why would he have a folder named 'My Family' in his computer? As far as Taemin knew, this laptop was purely Minho's, so his father had no business with it. 
 
Out of curiosity, he opened the folder. There were nothing but pictures. Loads of them. Probably hundreds. The first three were of Minho and his brother. Scattered here and there were some pictures of him as a baby and him with his mom and cousins. But what really stuck out for Taemin was the overwhelming number of pictures with Key. 
 
"Woah... what the..."
 
Taemin skimmed through all the photos. Out of the hundreds, about 97% had Key. A good about had both Minho and Key. And a good amount featured them together. Cuddling. Kissing
 
Taemin rubbed his eyes to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. There were so many of them together and of Kibum showing aegyo. On the beach, at the amusement park, at the café...
 
No. These were real. But they couldn't be...
 
He kept scrolling. All the photos came from the past three years, starting from the middle of their first year at Genie. Three years. Three years, Taemin repeated to himself. Three whole years together. Three whole years of secrets.
 
 
 
 
 
Back with an update! Hope u guys enjoyed this. lemme know what u think in thhe comments below. and if u havent already, PLEASE check out my other fics :) thank u guys so much for reading my fic and as always be sure to upovte and share everywhere: