THE DATE

A New Kind of Love

******MINHO******

 
I waited at the restaurant and anxiously checked my watch. It was already 6:38. Where was Key? He was supposed to be here at 6:30. Maybe he decided not to come?
 
I sighed in relief when I finally saw him running into the restaurant and towards my table. 
 
"So sorry I'm late. I had to finish up something back in the art department." (****KEY**** Yea, I had to finish up my makeup!)
 
"It's fine. I'm just glad you made it."
 
He smiled (I think I saw a bit of blush?) and calmly sat down. We ordered our food and then we were silent. 
 
I slowly started. "So, what do you like?"
 
"Eh?"
 
We both chuckled at this. "Sorry, I dont know how to start."
 
"I'm surprised. You've been on so many dates and you don't know how to start a conversation?"
 
"Taemin usually does all the talking." 
 
He giggled to himself. Then he looked at me and said, "You know what? I'll start. Let's see..." He thought to himself. "I was born and raised in Daegu, I like singing and dancing, and drawing, and I'm going into fashion and makeup design." He sipped his drink. 
 
"You're from Daegu? You sound like you're from Seoul."
 
"I have to use the Seoul dialect in Seoul. You'll hear me use Satoori sometimes." He kinda muttered this.  "What about you? What are you like?"
 
"About me? Well..." I thought about this for a bit. "I grew up in Incheon and I play sports. I moved to Seoul cuz of this school. Nothing else really."
 
"C'mon. There's more than that."
 
I thought harder. "Well, I like extreme stuff. Like extreme sports and rides and stuff."
 
His eyes widened. "Rides? Like amusement park rides? Like rollercoasters?" 
 
"Yea." He just looked in astonishment. And then looked away as our food came. "What's wrong? You don't like them?"
 
He looked down at his food. "Kibum-ah answer me. You don't like rollercoasters?" He nodded his head.
 
I kinda laughed. Not to make fun of him, but just in surprise. "Kibum-ah it's fine! We don't all like everything! But if I may I'd like to know why?"
 
He looked down. "It's just... I don't like heights. At ALL. And roller coasters are just so fast I can't stand it."
 
"I said it's ok! It's not like we're gonna go on roller coasters on every date." I said right before I realized what I just said. What I just said implied we were gonna keep dating.
 
We stopped the conversation immediately. After a while I asked, "Any siblings?"
 
"No, it's just me. You?"
 
"I have this older brother. He was really popular in middle school and high school."
 
"So, like you then?"
 
I chuckled. "No, he was way more popular than me. He was also way better at school and sports than me. He goes to Seoul University now."
 
"Really!? Wow he must have been smart as hell. I wonder..." He posed with a sly smile and rubbed his index finger across his lower lip. What was he thinking? Ways to get his number?
 
"Yah! I'm taller than him! He's got a girl already." I actually bluffed when I said this. Key was my date anyway, not my brother's. 
 
I dont know how but SOMEhow Key was able to see through my lie because what he said next alerted me. "Aww how cute! 🎶Someone's jealous."
 
"I'm not jealous!" he laughed so hard. His laugh made me laugh with him. It's as if his laugh is contagious or something. 
 
And we continued talking and laughing for the rest of the night. It's the most fun I've had in a while. Those meaningless dates I went on were just that - meaningless. They couldn't compare to the time I spent with Key. 
 
Key and I continued talking on the way back to the dorm. 
 
He turned towards me and smiled. "Thanks for the meal. I had a great time."
 
I smiled back. "Me too. I'm glad you enjoyed it."
 
"I really liked it. It's the most fun I've had in a while. Really, thank you." He surprised me with a peck on my cheek. He went to his closet. 
 
"So," I started out. "Does this mean we're gonna keep doing this? I liked tonight's date." 
 
"I'd love that. When should our next date be?"
 
"I'm not sure. I'll be busy prepping for the next game with the team. I'll let you know when I'm free."
 
"Ok. I'd really like to spend more time with you." 
 
I smiled in relief knowing that the feeling was mutual. "Same. Like I'll said, I'll let you know when I'm free." 
 
He smiled. "I'll wait for you till then," he said kinda dramatically.
 
I chuckled. I decided to play along with the joke. I exaggerated, "Wait for me my love." and I held out my arm, reaching for him.
 
I smiled even brighter when he continued the fun. He stretched out his hand and widened his eyes. "가지마! 제발 (Please dont go)." He begged in an exaggerated, dramatic tone.
 
All at once I pulled him in, dramatically professing how I couldnt leave him in the end. We giggled and laughed. This was the time, I thought to myself. This was the perfect moment. Before I could let it pass I placed my hand on his neck and kissed him. 
 
I didn't try to replicate what I did the last time. This time I gave him more of a peck than an intimate kiss. This time was definitely different, because this time when I pulled away he was still smiling. I tried to hug him so I didn't have to see his shocked reaction - I didn't want to think I messed up again - but before I could hug him he grabbed my neck and kissed me back. 
 
This kiss was longer and more deep. When we pulled apart he asked, "This- this isn't a dream right?"
 
I was confident this time. "No, Kim Kibum, this isn't a dream. This is real." I paused and quickly (but gently) grabbed his arm. "You're not gonna leave again are you?"
 
He laughed and hugged me. "I'm not gonna leave. I don't wanna leave. I wanna stay here."
 
I hugged him back. I wanted so badly to cheer. I just felt so happy. I was finally with Key. Not just as a roommate. As something more.