Starting Fresh

A New Kind of Love

Three days passed since we kissed. Key hasn't talked to me all day. He didn't even come back to the dorm at all these past 3 days. Somehow he got all his books for class and showed up but he ignored me. He ignored all my texts and wouldn't even look at me. 

 
I decided that even if I didn't move anywhere with him I should at least apologize. Maybe he'd believe me if I said something came over me. I didn't need to date him or anything like that. I just wanted my friend back. 
 
After class I went back to the dorm. As I put my books on my desk I heard the sound of running water. The bathroom sink was on. Key was there. 
 
I knocked on the door. "Key. You in there?"
 
"I'm busy. I'll be out in a minute."
 
I couldn't just end it there. "Key, I need to talk to you."
 
"Why? There's nothing to talk about." He was mad. I could tell in his voice. 
 
"Uhh, I need to use the bathroom. Could you hurry it up?"
 
"Minho just wait a minute!"
 
"But Key I-"
 
"Minho I said I'll be out soon!"
 
The anger in his voice was enough to make me stop pestering but I didnt want to give up there. 
 
I did calm down a bit before taking a deep breath to speak again. "Kim Kibum, I like you."
 
I heard the running water stop. Was he finally listening? I leaned against the wall next to the door. "I like you, ok? That's why I kissed you. I didnt mean to scare you or anything."
 
There was still some silence. I continued. "I know, it's weird. Even I never expected this to happen. But I havent been more certain about anything else. Maybe I'll get over it and it'll be find if we're just friends but for now can we at least talk? I don't wanna lose a friend."
 
Even more silence. I decided to accept defeat. I started to leave toward my bed. 
 
"Choi Minho." Key's voice called. I looked back. He finally opened the door. He was decked out in his bathrobe and a head towel. He looked straight at me before making his way to his bed. He looked back and motioned for me to sit next to him. 
 
Still silence. I started to speak but he stopped me. He took a deep breath before proceeding. 
 
*********(KEY)********
 
"I dated this girl for a couple months." I started slowly. I looked away from him. Inside I was still hesitant about telling him but I didnt want him to think I hated him. "We were pretty solid for five straight months." I didnt want it to sound like I still liked her (cuz God forbid that still be). "Everything was fine until I saw her with another man. That left me heartbroken for a while."
 
I finally looked at him. He seemed worried but I didnt talk to him to seek pity. "I'm wasn't mad at you or anything, after what you did that time. I'm not mad now either. I ignored you because I just needed some time to think. That girl deceived me and cheated on me, and I was afraid it would happen again."
 
He stuttered. "Kibum-ah, I didnt know-"
 
"That's why I'm telling you now. So you dont get confused later on. And that's not the only thing I wanted to say. Minho-" I put my hand on his arm and looked straight into his eyes. "I like you too."
 
**********(MINHO)*******
 
"Really?" I was flabbergasted at this. It felt too good to be true. "Key you dont have to-"
 
"I mean it. I like you Choi Minho." He smiled. God I love it when he smiles. 
 
I smiled and laughed at bit out of relief. I looked back at him. "So when I kissed you how did-"
 
"I was surprised but I didn't hate it." I think I saw him blushing.
 
"And how did you manage to get your books without coming here?"
 
"I did come here. You just happened to be somewhere else everytime I came here."
 
And finally, "So, you don't think I'm crazy?"
 
He burst out laughing. "Ahni~ It's not weird to like someone! Why would you ask-" He stopped laughing. "Wait a minute, it's because I'm a guy isn't it?"
 
My eyes widened. "Uh- that's not exactly-"
 
He looked skeptically at me. "You're not homophobic are you?"
 
"No! Not at all! If I was I wouldn't admit to liking you! It's just, new for me that's all."
 
"What is? Liking a guy?"
At this moment it occurred to me that it had nothing to do with Key being a guy. It was just liking someone that was new to me. Key was the first person I've ever met that I actually liked
 
 
I shook my head to answer him. Key calmed down before looking at his watch. "Look Minho, I get it. It's weird at first when you start liking someone." He reached for his head towel. "Even I never predicted I'd fall for a guy. But it's not like there's anything wrong with it. And eventually you learn to confront your feelings and accept them." He pulled off his head towel at last to reveal his new dark red hair. 
 
A big smile spread across my face. My eyes lit up in astonishment. "Wahh~ Kibum-ah! Your hair is RED!"
 
He smiled modestly. "How does it look?"
 
"It looks great!" I suddenly realized something. "Wait, so that's why you came here? To dye your hair?"
 
He brushed his fingers through his new hair. "I was thinking about coloring it... And to talk to you too. To, you know, get my feelings out and clear any misunderstandings."
 
We both laughed there, side by side, and he rested his head on my left shoulder. I slowly rested my head on his. It felt nice, just us two, sitting there like that. A moment later he asked, "So, now that we spilled and all, what do you wanna do now?"
 
I was confused for a moment, but then I figured he was talking about a date. "Well, we could go grab a bite or something. I still don't know you all that well so we could talk and learn more about each other."
 
"Sounds like a date," Key smirked. 
 
********(KEY)**********
 
"Finally!" Someone exclaimed as he/she opened the door. Minho and I shot up when Nicole entered. That ended the sweet moment of us on the bed. She ran straight towards me. "Omona Key! You're hair's so red!"
 
Of ALL times why did she have to come NOW? Minho and I were doing so well! I complained, "Nicole what on Earth are you doing here?"
 
She pouted. "Hey that's no way to talk to your best friend. i was looking all over for you. Your mom said you weren't home. I figured you had to be here." (I'd spent the last three days at my mom's FYI) "And I see (heard rather) that you guys are FINALLY getting started!" She sat on Minho's bed. "So what's gonna happen? Movie dates? Romantic dinners? Walks on the beach?"
 
"Nicole, not now!" I remembered Minho hadnt actually met Nicole before. "Minho, this is my best friend Nicole. Nicole, my roommate Minho."
 
They greeted each other. I could tell Minho was a tad bit nervous about talking about us - getting started - around other people. I can understand since we literally said we'd start just two minutes ago.
 
I asked Nicole, "How much of that did you hear?"
 
"Just enough to know you're officially starting 😊. So," she looked towards Minho. "exactly how much did you guys spill?"
 
"He knows, Nicole. We both admitted everything already." I said. 
 
"You told him everything?"
 
"Yes, Nicole I told him everything."
 
"Even the wet dream?" she asked casually.
 
My eyes widened. "The WHAT!?" Exclaimed Minho. 
 
I turned back towards Nicole. "Dammit Nicole you dont have to spill everything!"
 
"I thought-"
 
"Nicole, I've think you've been here long enough." I started pushing her towards the door. 
 
"But I just got here!"
 
"GoodBYE Nicole!" I pushed her out but whispered that I'd talk to her later. 
 
I rested my back against the door. I looked back at Minho and faked a smile. "So, when's our date?"
 
He chuckled before answering, "I have practice after class these next few days. How does Friday night sound?"
 
I knew I was free that night but I pretended to hesitate. "Friday? Yea I'm free that night. Sounds good. What time?"
 
"Practice ends at 6. So 6:30?"
 
"Perfect! I'll meet you there."
 
"Good."
 
"Yea, good."
 
Silence followed. At least we had a date set. I remembered I had to get something from Nicole's dorm so I made my way to the door. 
 
"Kibum-ah, about that dream of yours-"
 
"YAH! Who are you judging!? Don't say you've never had a wet dream!" I fired with a hint of Daegu satoori as I slammed the door shut.