Return

A New Kind of Love
***KEY***
 
The moment I left the airport, I took a deep breath and exhaled calmly, feeling a weight being lifted from my shoulders. A sense of relief and freedom spread all throughout me. After nine years of what I call exile, I was finally home. 
 
I closed my eyes and breathed in the fresh Seoul air. Yes, this felt so right. I loved Paris, but nothing can beat the homeland. 
 
I was back in Seoul this time of year for two reason. One: the sect of KKB working in Paris moved some of us back to Seoul. And two: Woohyun's grandmother had recently passed, and I came to comfort him at the upcoming funeral. Still, I was happy to be back. I don't know how they decided to let me come back since they were practically bribed into moving me to Paris, but I'm not complaining now. 
 
I made my way to my new car (my old one was sold; I had to buy a new one with the money I saved) and drove to my new apartment. The minute I opened the front door, I made my way to the bedroom and collapsed on my bed. Nicole had set it all up for me while I was away. I looked up at the ceiling and a smile spread across my face. Everything was different, surely, but everything felt right again at last. 
 
 
A few days later
 
 
"I'll take the white roses please." I asked the florist. Sure it was cheesy, but I figured Woohyun would at least appreciate the thought. Maybe not now, but looking back he'd appreciate all we did for him in this stressful time. 
 
I exited the flower shop with my purchase. I smiled to myself because I would finally see Woohyun again. I would also see my parents again as well as my other friends. I saw Nicole pretty often anyway after her comeback unfortunately flopped. She came to work for KKB in Paris, so I got to see her and talk to her a lot. I mainly talked to my parents via Skype. I internally squealed at the thought of hugging them again. 
 
I was so lost in thought about being with my family and friends again that I didn't realize I was practically wandering, because I collided ineptly with a young woman. 
 
We both dropped our bags. "I'm so sorry!" She exclaimed quickly. 
 
I helped her with her bags while I got mine. "I'm sorry. It's my fault." I replied gently. We bowed to each other awkwardly and she departed, but not without calling out to whom I could assume was her friend. 
 
"Omo! Minho-ssi!"
 
 
I froze dead in my tracks.
 
That name. I haven't heard that name in years. I quickly shook my head, because I figured that Minho is a decently common name, so it was probably a coincidence. 
 
I turned back to the woman, who now stood in the arms of this 'Minho'. Yea Minho's a common name, but how often is it that he looks exactly like the one you once dated?
 
 
 
 
It was indeed Choi Minho. The very same one. His hair was trimmed short. He looked a bit more mature, a bit more buff, but he was still as handsome as ever. 
 
For a moment, I just stood there, watching him from afar embrace the woman and plant a peck on her lips. The moment probably lasted a couple of seconds, but in my mind it lasted ages. I couldn't stop looking at him. It was him. The person who made me remember what love was.  
 
 
It's been years since I left him for Paris. Who could have figured that I'd eventually see him in Seoul?
 
As I kept my focus on him, reality slowly set in and settled in my stomach. He's with someone now. Either a girlfriend or a wife. He's not with me. They looked so happy together. They were embracing and making out and pecking each other cutely. They laughed and smiled as they talked to each other. None of it seemed forced. 
 
That slimmer of happiness that was there only for a moment swiftly shriveled up inside of me as I slowly turned away. He hadn't seen me this whole time. And that's how I wanted it to be. I wasn't ready to meet him. Especially knowing that he had clearly moved on. 
 
 
 
 
 
After the funeral, I returned to my new home and lied down on the sofa. Ever since that one moment I haven't stopped thinking about him. I still couldn't believe that it was him. Of all the people I could have met again it just HAD to be him. Not my ex-girlfriend. Not some annoying classmate. HIM. Choi Minho. 
 
I don't even know why I'm still so hung up on him. It's been - what, maybe six? seven years? Maybe ten for all I care. I've been doing so well without him. I've only thought about him occasionally, so why now am I obsessing over him? Perhaps...
 
Well, I can't not love him, after all we've been through, but still... 
 
He's got his own family now. He's moved on from me. Minus a few one-night stands with some of my coworkers, I haven't really done anything with anyone else. I haven't gotten myself into another serious relationship since Minho. 
 
Not that I minded being single. Hell, independence is amazing as long as you don't keep yourself bored. You have so much more liberty when you're single. 
 
But the thing is, now that Minho creeped his way back into my life, I can't act like I'm fully happy without him. 
 
At that moment, my phone rang. Without budging from the sofa, I reached over to the table and looked at the screen. It was a text from Nicole. 
 
Nicole: U ok Key? You seemed kinda off today 
 
 
I hesitated to reply, but figured that she already got notified that I read it, so I might as well tell her. Plus, I really needed someone to talk to. 
 
Me: I saw Minho today
 
 
No reply. But she seemed to be typing her reply, because I noticed an ellipsis. I wanted to give her all the details before she could freak out or something. 
 
Me: I saw him near the flower shop with a woman. He didn't see me. I just watched from afar 
 
After a solid minute or two, she sent a reply. 
 
Nicole: Oh :|
Nicole: Do u still love him?
 
I froze. Honestly, I think I just really missed the past we had. A solid four years of adventure and love and happiness were now gone completely and could not be remade. 
 
Me: I might. 
Me: Did you ever talk to him while I was gone? You never brought him up when you visited. 
 
Nicole: Honestly, Kibum, I never saw him once ever since you left.
Nicole: How did he look?
 
Me: Slightly older but that's obvious. He's exactly the same. 
 
Nicole: And you said he's got a woman or something?
 
Me: Either a gf or a wife. Idk
Me: I haven't stopped thinking about him all day ㅠㅠ
 
Nicole: Awwww bby it's ok. You can talk to me whenever u need it ok?
 
Me: Thanks Nikki <3 youre the best :)
Me: Right now I just wanna forget about all this. I'm goin to bed
 
Nicole: Good night~~
 
After that I snuggled into my sheets and drifted off to sleep, dreaming happy thoughts from my youth with Minho.