The Town Hero

Subconscious Love

Jongin laid in the hospital bed fast asleep. The morphine made the young male a bit drowsy. Then a knock on the door to his room sounded. Still sleeping, the boy ignored it; so, the visitors just came in. A woman walked over beside Jongin and set a vase down on the table beside his hospital bed. There were blue tinted daises in the vase.

"Thank you so much," she whispered in his ear before making her way to the door.

"Mommy, is he okay?" A child said aloud.

Jongin groaned. His eyes fluttered open as he looked toward the door. He was confused as to who was standing there. Then he recognized the child.

"You are Chanyeol's little sister, aren't you?" His voice cracked as he spoke due to the dryness of his throat. The little girl nodded. "Then you must be her mother?" The woman nodded.

"Sorry for disturbing you. We were just about to leave. I brought you flowers to thank you."

Jongin looked over at the table and smiled. "Thanks," he croaked. "You can stay if you want."

The mother shook her head and politely declined the invitation. As the woman left, she called for her daughter only to see the girl walking toward the bed. She pushed a chair to the side of the bed and stepped up on it to hug Jongin. He winced a little because got his ribs. Then the girl set a stuffed puppy in a blue shirt next to him.

"Thank you so much, ahjussi. I will always be thankful that you did that. I really hope that you heal well. I want you better so my brother has his new friend back. This dog is Mr. Snuggles. He will take berry good care of you. He was my favorite animal, but I want you to keep him forever," she explained.

The small child offered him a giant, innocent smile. She kissed his forehead before hopping off the chair and putting it back. As she left with her mother, she looked back and waved at him smiling.

Jongin smiled and waved back then hugged Mr. Snuggles. Tears rolled out of his eyes. He had never felt like he was this useful before. He had never thought his risky action could make such an impact. His eyes stung with the salty liquid as he hugged the puppy tighter. The sweet innocence of the girl really touched his heart. He was beginning to be thankful for saving her.

*        *        *

Jongin was sleeping once again. He slept for most of the day. The only other time he woke up was when the nurses tried to get him to eat. He did not eat much though. He hated the food there. The only thing that sat in his stomach since he slept was chocolate pudding, a banana, and some milk and water.

He woke up this time because a nurse led some visitors to the room.

"Jongin-sshi, you have some friends here to see you," she gently shook him awake.

The sleepy boy groaned and rubbed his eyes like a kid. "Thanks." The nurse nodded and giggled thinking his action was cute. Then she left him to be with his friends.

"Hey, man. Are we interrupting you?" a familiar deep voice said. Jongin shook his head.

"How are you?" a higher pitched voice asked.

"I gotta go to the bathroom." The sleepy boy genuinely laughed as he looked at his friends. They immediately went to his side to help him into the bathroom. When he finsihed and came out, they helped him back into the hospital bed. "Well that was a struggle." He laughed as he waved his right hand in the cast. He refered to it as his dinosaur hand because of the cloth that it sat in held it up. He could not remember the name of the cloth thing to he called it his arm hammick.

His friends chuckled at his silly sense of humor.

"So, um I brought you some chicken alfredo. I made it in class. It won't be as good as the stuff I make at home, but it isn't terrible," his taller friend said.

"Thanks, Chanyeol." Jongin accepted the bowl with the fork the boy brought. He started to eat it and smiled. "Not as good as the stuff you make at home? This can get even better?"

Chanyeol laughed. "Of course it can. Once you get out of the hospital and if you feel up to it, you can stay the night at my place. I can make it then and show you how much better it can be."

"You have to invite me too."

"No. I don't want you there, Baekkie." The puppy-eyed boy pouted and smacked the giant's arm lightly. This only caused the other to laugh and ruffle the smaller ones hair. "You know you are always welcome at my house, brat." Baekhyun stuck his tongue out at the taller.

Jongin watched the two play fight and smile at one another. They were so close to each other when they played, and they always seemed happy when they were around each other. The injured boy could not help but to admire what those boys had.

"I made you a cake! It is to celebrate you being a hero," Baekhyun handed him a mini choclate cake with vanilla frosting, sprinkles on the egde, and message in the middle saying 'The Town Hero.'

Chanyeol cut the cake into three even pieces and dished them out. As they all enjoyed the cake, they picked up some small talk about the school. The Happy Virus goofed around trying to imitate some of Tao's martial arts moves, and he dropped his cake on the floor. He sat in his chair pouting, when Baekhyun began to feed him his slice of cake. The shorter boy claimed it was too sweet for his taste.

Jongin admired their relationship even more. He was actually a little envious. He wished he could have something like that. He almost did, but that was forever ago.

"How long have you two known each other?" the tanned boy asked.

"Since I was in 4th grade." Baekhyun smiled big. There was a slight twinkle in his eyes.

"How long have you two been dating?"

Chanyeol, who was sipping on a Mountain Dew he just bought, choked and spit the mouthful of the soda onto the floor. His eyes were wide. "What?!? I....uh......dating guys is weird....." The giant's face was tinted pink as he shook his head frantically.

"Is that what you think of me? Is that really what you think? You think I'm weird?" Baekhyun glared at Chanyeol with a hint of hurt in his eyes. "You think I'm gross too! I bet you do." The small boy huffed at stomped out of the room. "It was nice seeing you Jongin. Hope to see you at school soon." Then he made his way down the hall.

"S-S-Sorry, Yeol. I d-didn't mean t-to be so curious." The dark boy looked down at his hands feeling guilty for having asked that. He knew he should have kept his mouth shut. He caused trouble anywhere he went.

"You are fine, Jongin. I should probably go make it up to him though. I hope you get better, man. See you later." The boy ran out of the room calling out to the brooding one.

Jongin stared into his lap and sighed. He was so frustrated.

Why do I always mess things up? No matter what good thing I do, something always goes wrong.....

The boy sighed again. Fighting with his inner anger, he decided to sleep again. He did not want to deal with it any longer.

*        *        *

BOOM! BOOM!

"Go to hell !"

A small group of boys ran off. The leader backed away slowly after having shot his gun. A smirk painted his face; then he fleeted with his followers.

"Mom! Mom! Get up!"

His mother lay on the ground on the verge of passing out due to the pain. One wound in the shoulder. Another in her leg. Blood leaked out like a small stream going to a larger body of water.

The thirteen year old boy pulled her body to the nearest open building in the streets of Daejeon. He drug her into a local cafe and had them call for an ambulence.

"Come on. Mom, please stay awake. Please..."

Jongin shot awake in a cold sweat. In a panic, he looked for his phone. As he searched in the lack of light, he found a hand in his bed. It belonged to his mother. He looked at her and sighed in relief. He held her hand and fell back asleep with a bit more ease.


A/N

I updated on time! Let's party! *Random dancing*

Sorry.....I'm stupid.

I hope it is okay. Not much of a cliff hanger this week. I apologize. I wanted to keep you all on your toes.

Sorry if it is too short. I tried.

Please comment and subscribe if you like it though. ^.^ <3