The Anniversary

Subconscious Love

"Aaaaahhhhh!" Jongin woke up screaming. His breathing was rapid. Tears stung his eyes.

His eyes darted around the dark room as if he was searching for something. His hands felt around for his phone or lamp, which ever came first. His hand found the lamp then turned it on.

He screamed again.

A blood covered man was in front of him holding his arms out. Jongin could not tell if he wanted to attack or hug him. The dim light made it difficult to decide.

The man slowly came closer and closer. He was almost to the afraid boy.

"Honey! Wake up!" His mother was shaking the screaming boy. Tears fell from his eyes as he stayed in his unconscious state. "Sweetheart. Please!"

Jongin's eyes shot open. He looked at his mom trying to register what was happening around him. His was blinded by the light. He was so confused as to why his whole face stung with warm tears.

"Jongin, are you okay? It is three in the morning."

The boy looked at his mother again, like really looked at her. His ears finally processed her worried yet soothing voice. What happened in his dream and reality of what day it was finally crashed down on him. He hugged his mother tightly as sobs racked his body. His words were not audible due to his crying. His mother kept rocking him back and forth messing with his hair and rubbing his back. She was trying to fight her own tears off.

After about half an hour, the two eventually fell asleep on the boy's bed. His face was still stained with tears. He was all tangled in his mom's arms. His head was placed on her chest. The calm sound off her heartbeat kept him at ease as he slept.

*        *        *

"Ireona! Ireona! Ireona!"

Mrs. Kim shut off Jongin's phone alarm off. She gently shook her son awake. He groaned and rolled away from her.

"Sweetie, wake up. You have to go to school."

"Arasseo." He slowly sat up and stretched his stiff arms. His mother started to leave his room to go make him some breakfast. "Eomma?" She stopped and turned to him. "Please be okay today." He tried to offer his best comforting smile. She nodded and wished him the same.

Jongin got out of his bed and stretched some more. Sluggishly, he gathered his school uniform and walked to the bathroom. 

As he got undressed and stepped in the steaming hot water, he tried to forget his dream. However, the image of the bloody man would not leave him alone. He put his fists and forehead on the wall trying to fight the tears. He stood there for a while. The hot water that was beating down in his back was now cold.

"Fudge!" he shouted. He quickly shut off the water and hopped out.

After getting dressed, he made his way to the kitchen with a pout settled on his face. Sitting at the table, Jongin was greeted by his mother, who was barely managing to keep a smile on her face. She set a plate of french toast and the syrup down on the table.

"Eat, honey. You need to stay healthy."

Jongin nodded and grabbed a few slices. He blindly ate the food. Six slices were downed, and he did not taste one bit of it.Then he thanked her and left for school. The walk was silent, but it offered him some sort of comfort. He could at least think clearly.

*        *        *

Jongin's third class came around, and he was not excited about it. He got put in home ec. Not a problem. The problem was that the class was cooking for their lesson. He hated cooking only because he was not good at it. The class was split into ten pairs of two. Another thing he did not like.

"Hello, I-I'm Jongin."

"Hey. I'm Jackson," the partner introduced himself. "Warning. I'm not the best at this."

"Me either." Jongin looked down. He is probably better at this than me.

Jackson laughed. Then he asked for the shy boy to get the ingredients for the meal that he picked. Jongin would do most of the mixing for preparation. Jackson began to season the chicken he was about to fry. Jongin was fixing the mashed potatoes. The shy boy ended up burning the side dish.

"Yah! You are worse than me at this. How do you even do that!?!" Jackson's scolding made Jongin look down. The boy tried not to cry. "Channie? Trade with me? This guy ."

The giant sighed and sent Mark, who is the greatest cooking partner ever, to Jackson. Jongin sluggishly went to his friend. He was about in tears when he got over there. Chanyeol hugged the saddened boy, making him feel slightly awkward.

"It's okay, Jong. I got you. I can get you to the point of cooking like a pro." The giant offered his infectious smile. The smaller boy smiled back, but it did not reach his eyes. He nodded and thanked his friend. The tears that burned disappeared.

"If you can't handle my words, then get out of this school," Jackson shouted.

Chanyeol gave him a menacing look and then started on the next part of the cooking assignment. The class had to make a lunch and a dessert. Mark and Channie got the lunch done in a snap. Now, Jongin was to help with the dessert. Both boys decided to make peach cobbler.

The giant walked through all the steps slowly on how to make it. He did not do a bit of the work, unless it was to show how. Jongin mainly did it all. Once it was done baking, they did the ultimate taste test.

"I-I'll try it f-f-first," the boy stuttered out of slight fear. He was afraid to kill his new friend withh his horrible skills. He grabbed a small spoonful of the sweet food. As he raised it to his mouth, the spoon wobbled a little. After he chewed and swallowed it, a smile grew on his face. "You did it! We did it!" Jongin jumped up and down.

Chanyeol took a bite and smiled. "No, you did it. I just taught you." Then the bell sounded for lunch. "Want to take this with us and have the others try your success?"

Jongin nodded happily and lead the way. Once they got in the cafeteria, Jongin started shouting. "Guys! Guys! Guys! Look what I made! Chanyeol helped!" He quickly sat down still dragging his friend behind him.

Chanyeol dished it up for the friends. each one dived into it and smiled. "Wow!" "This is great!" Comments like that were said. the only person who did not say anything was Kyungsoo. He had not touched the food at all. He glared at the two boys and had it pushed to the opposite side.

"Soo? Why haven't you tried it yet?" Chanyeol asked.

"What did youguys make?" Kyungsoo glared harder.

"Dessert."

"What kind?" His voiced was strained and angry as he spoke through gitted teeth.

"Peach cobbler. Why?" Chanyeol was genuinely confused. Then it his him. "Sorry Soo! I'm so sorry. We were so excited about it, and I forgot." Chanyeol took the plate away.

"I bet. And you made this?" He directed the question to Jongin. The tanned boy nodded. "Are you trying to kill me? Is that your goal? Do you want to watch me suffer?"

Jongin shrunk in his seat. His good mood went down the drain. "I-I'm sorry."

"Soo, he didn't know." Chanyeol said.

"And you are the dumb-"

"Stop it!" Tao shouted.

Silence filled the table. Everyone felt the awkward moment. Kyungsoo continued to glare at the two "genius" chefs. Jongin looked down to try to keep his sadness at bay, and Chanyeol hid his face in his hands to hide the frustration. This day just got ten times worse.

*        *        *

School was finally over with. Everyone rushed out of the building to get in their cars or on the buses to get home. Jongin walked out with his group of friends. Kyungsoo was amongst the people and still glared at Jongin. Then they began to part ways. Chanyeol and Jongin were headed the same way.

"So where do you live?" the giant asked.

"A block past the elementary school."

Chanyeol nodded. "I live near the park, which isn't too far from the place. Normally I would ride with Baekkie, but I need to get my little sister."

It was Jongin's turn to nod. "So, um, why did that short fre.....I mean your friend......why did he fuss so bad about the food?"

"He is allergic to peaches. I forgot about that. We don't need to kill someone." Both boys looked at the ground. "So, you have seemed extra upset today. Is everything okay?"

Jongin nodded. Should I tell him or no? I mean he isn't mean. I'm sure I can trust him.....I hope. "This is the anniversary of my dad's death...."

A silent "oh" was let out. "I'm really sorry."

"Not your fault."

Both boys walked in silence. Then they got to the elementary school. Chanyeol's little sister weaited at the cross walk for the older male. She started to run across the street to get to the male as soon as possible. There was a truck driving down the road.

"Go back! Go back!" The giant was shouting to her. She did not hear him though.

What do I do? Jongin looked around and saw a ghost. It was his father. The ghost nodded then disappeared. The boy took in a deep breath then ran into the road and pushed the little girl. There were screeching of the tires and screams from many people, the loudest being the boy. The truck hit Jongin. His leg was caught under the front tire. The pain became too much. The last thing he heard was someone screaming to call an ambulence. Then everything faded to black.


A/N

I'm really sorry for the late update. i am the worst person to write with. I'm so sorry. I will try ten times harder next time.

yes, very tragic. I hope it is enough for everyone. I'm super sorry once again.