The End

I'm a Goner, Somebody Catch My Breath

Kibum crawls out of his bed slowly. He stumbles into the living room in search of a cool surface. He drops harshly onto the couch. He rolls over when he notices someone else in the room. Minho is sitting in Jonghyun’s seat. He looks unsettled.

“Is something wrong,” Kibum asks roughly, his morning voice has not yet faded.

Minho clears his throat, “I … wanted to give you something before I leave.”

“Where are you going?” Kibum sits up, feeling a slight head rush.

“My work is calling me elsewhere,” Minho shifts in his seat. “You should have your ring back,” he places the ring quickly on the table.

Kibum glares at the ring, “how do you have that?”

“You … threw it at me,” Minho rubs his ring finger nervously. “You don’t remember since you had relapsed not long after.”

Key moves to pick up the ring, “no, I would never throw away my ring.”

Minho nods, “I thought so too, but you wanted to make it clear you didn’t love me.”

Kibum’s fingers shakes as they lightly clasp around the band, “why would I say that to you? How would I even say that to you? We just met.”

“No,” Minho moves his dominant hand to his temple, “we’ve known each other our whole life. I understand you not remembering our childhood, but … we were married. You can’t comprehend how much it destroys me every time I have to keep doing this. Every time you re-meet me and call me a ghost or demon.” Minho pauses, “you look at me like some kind of monster. I’ve dealt with that my whole life and honestly I’ve deserved it, but I never thought you would do it to me too.”

“My husband died,” Key whispers.

“No I didn’t! I’m right here! I’ve always been here,” Minho’s voice breaks, “What did I do wrong? Should I have argued with you that car ride? Should I have yelled at you so you didn’t feel like the bad guy? Should I have let the car hit us straight on? Rolled the dice on who would have lived then? It wasn’t enough that I saved you from the pain of having countless surgeries. No, I still had to be the bad guy. Instead of keeping you safe I only made you feel guiltier. So now it’s my fault you’re like this.”

Kibum warms the ring, “no, I loved my husband … He died.”

“Why does everything you love lose to a memory?” Minho’s eyes begin to water. “It’s not even a real memory! You made it all up!”

Key pushes his back roughly into the bottom of the couch, “no, they took his things.”

“They were taking your things,” Minho points aggressively at him. “I couldn’t take it anymore. I couldn’t help you anymore. You needed someone else to help you. You weren’t yelling at them to leave my things.”

Kibum hugs his legs, “I’ve never left this house.”

“No you haven’t,” Minho shakes with frustration, “not since we’ve put you here. This isn’t our house. I live there. I built this place just for you. After the incident with the last psychiatric facility I knew I had to get someone I trusted to take care of you.” Jonghyun walks into the room cautiously.

Key shakes his head while moving to his feet, “no, Jonghyun is my friend. I’ve known him since we were kids.”

Jonghyun moves both of his hands behind his body, “No, Key. We never met until the day you were brought here. You never trusted me. It was around the fifth time that we decided to change strategies. The only reason you think I’m your friend was because of that lullaby Minho taught me. A memory you were very willing to rewrite.”

Minho shields his eyes, “Yes we did. You knew me by another name. I understood you forgetting that. Not even your parents recognized me. I didn’t mind that you didn’t remember that. I just wanted you to fall in love with me the way I fell for you when we were children. I didn’t need a childhood memory to do that.” He turns to Jonghyun, “do it.” Jonghyun leaves the room for a moment. He comes back rolling something over to Kibum. “Haven’t you ever wondered why you don’t have any clocks? Why you don’t have any mirrors or clear windows? We had to take precautions.” Jonghyun pulls the blanket of the tall object.

Key looks into the mirror, his heat begins to beat aggressively. “No, that’s not right! That’s not me,” he screams, terrified. The glass mimics his every move, but the image isn’t the one he expects. He covers his face to hide the one in the mirror, “that’s not me! That’s him! He’s dead!”

“Look at me,” the revenant commands.

Key turns to the specter with tears in his eyes, “that’s you, not me.”

“Who do you see,” the wraith’s voice breaks, “who do you see when you look at me?”

“You look like my husband,” Kibum weeps.

The phantom’s eyes cast, “you can take it now.” Jonghyun moves away the mirror.

“Why did I see you?” Key cries. Kibum can see his breath in the air, the mist floats in the crisp air. “I’m so cold,” he whimpers. He notices little white flakes begin to float down. He begins to shriek uncontrollably. He can see the demon looking down at him disheveled. He feels the flakes melt on his face, he smacks at them aggressively before shielding his face completely.

He feels a warmth wrap around him, “it’s okay. You’re okay.”

He looks at the voice, “Key.”

Key’s cheeks are rosy and damp, “yes.”

He looks around the entire room, completely white with a thick white coat of snow, “you’re the one that died?”

Kibum shakes his head, “No, Minho. No one died.”

Minho runs his cold knuckles down Key’s cheek, “you’re so warm.”

Key laughs past his tears, “so are you.”

Minho begins to feel tired, “I feel cold.” Minho’s head drops against Key’s shoulder. Kibum turns Minho over, he cradles Minho in his arms.

Key shakes Minho, “no, Minho! Don’t go to sleep! You’re not cold!”

Minho feels hot tears sprinkle onto his freezing cheeks. “I’m so cold,” He breathes.

“You’re not cold,” Kibum sobs. Key grasps at Minho face, he grits his teeth, “don’t go to sleep Minho. You’re getting better. You’re getting better.” Minho’s eyes shut. Kibum looks down at him mortified. “Minho don’t go to sleep! I don’t know who’s going to wake up!” Key yelps. He continues to shake Minho, “wake up you bastard! Don’t leave me again! I can’t take you leaving me again! I’m not as strong as you!” He slaps Minho with all of his strength. Minho’s eyes open, Key’s eyes brighten. “Kiss me,” Key whimpers.

Minho blinks slowly, “but I’m so tired, Key. I’m so cold.”

“How will I know you’ll remember me when you wake up?” Kibum bawls. “Just kiss me please. While you can still feel me.” Minho’s eyes close, his body goes limp. Key kisses Minho. Minho doesn’t wake up. “No,” Kibum wails as he continues to kiss Minho, desperately trying to wake him.    

 

 

 

This is the ending. Thank you cookies for reading. I may just leave this story here, but the rest are staying gone. I won't be posting anymore stories either. I really enjoyed writing for you guys. If you have any last questions I'll answer them for you. I'm glad I was able to finish a story with my cookies. I'm sorry I won't be able to tell you any other stories.