Jinki 3

I'm a Goner, Somebody Catch My Breath

The bed rocks.

“Where are you going?” Jinki whispers.

“Cards,” Minho’s voice is distant.

An abundance of scuffing and tapping, “what are we playing?”

Minho chuckles, “go fish.”

“What?” Jinki sounds genuinely confused, “why are we playing a child’s game?”

Cards scraping against each other, “I played it with him today, but the way he played it was so strange. He’d say ‘go away’ instead of ‘go fish.’”

Jinki snickers, “what was the little song those kids gave us?”

Minho sighs, “Two strangers met in a desert, both seemed tired from an earlier effort. It was clear both were demented. They stared at each other with smiles that fermented. Neither knew that other pretended. The first to speak with teeth like yeast, said ‘I’m a fisherman from the east, I lost my way after being chased by a beast. I knew to run as soon as his lips creased. He was feral and wild with vigor in his eyes. I was with my family, but after seeing such a creature I had to cut ties.’ ‘How strange,’ the second cries, ‘I too saw a beast infected with mange, in the shape of a crest. Oh dear, I’ve been through quite a change, I come from the west. The monster made a wave that swept me up and brought me here. No water since then, I fear I’m not blessed. The sky is clear. Our fate sealed if the rain does not beckon. It’s safe to say I’ve been wandering stricken with fear.

“Now that I met you I’m sure I can set in. Do you have any food to spare? I have a hunger that could deafen. I have some fish, but sharing our spoils equally only seems fair.’ The two leer at one another unconvinced. Both had hands bare, they gulped at the thought of the other minced. ‘If you have a fish of equal value, I’ll put my own into the feast. I’m sure yours are still freshly rinsed,’ growls the man of the east. ‘Sounds like a deal. Leaving your family, instead, to the beast,” Minho recites

“I have no doubt yours are quite a steal. Start the bidding so I may have a feel. Let me see your best. It is all that I request. You go first, please be my guest,’ said the man from the west. Both gave the other ridiculous names. Both hoping the other was circling the drain. Both blinded by the others’ feign. All they wanted was the opposing to lay on a dish. And when one ran out of names to agree upon he’d tell the other, ‘go fish.’” Jinki finishes darkly. He takes a deep breath, “I doubt those kids knew what they were saying, but being able to sing it so well? They were clever little Americans weren’t they?”

“Poverty has that effect on kids…” Minho’s disposition is distant, but his voice is clear. “Do you think they’re in a better place?”

“Hard to say,” Jinki clears his throat. “It’s not likely since we were involved.”

“Does it bother you?” Minho asks softly.

“What?” Jinki responds a bit exasperated.

“That we won’t pass these stories onto anyone else. All that we’ve seen and heard will never be given to another. All the wisdom we have, wasted,” Minho sounds disappointed.

Jinki chuckles, “would you really want people to know of the things you’ve seen? The life we live is the substance of nightmares. I’m comforted by the fact that all that I know will remain with me.”

“I told him about the Colombian,” Minho states.

“Which one?” Jinki asks.

“The one I found in Argentina,” Minho divulges.

Jinki sniffles, “that was before you met me, wasn’t it?” Silence. “Hm, he was interesting. Why would you tell him about that geezer?”

“I didn’t really tell him about him. I told him the story he told me,” Minho elaborates.

“Old father time,” Jinki pauses, “Didn’t he always repeat himself? Wasn’t it not by choice?”

“Yeah … what are you getting at?” Minho prods.

“I think that old man cursed you,” Jinki laughs loudly.

“Shh,” Minho hushes him, “that’s stupid.”

“Really? As stupid as saying you’re a ghost?” Jinki taunts.

“Don’t be an ,” Minho raises his voice.

“What? How am I an ? If anyone’s the it’s him. It’s insulting hearing that you’re being called a ghost,” Jinki elucidates.

“He doesn’t know any better. You’re the for saying I got cursed,” Minho counters.

“Is that even possible?” Jinki gasps. “Are we susceptible?” Jinki inquires in mock fear.

“You have any fives?” Minho changes the subject.

“Go fish,” Jinki commands. “Who taught him the game?” Silence. “I don’t like you associating with him,” Jinki’s voice is ominous.

“Your strange hatred for people like Jonghyun is no concern of mine,” Minho replies lightly.

“Ugh, don’t call them people. They’re emotionless shell,” Jinki says with disgust.

“A bit biased aren’t you?” Minho pokes at Jinki.

“I’ve had a lot of friends ruined by people like him,” Jinki continues.

“I didn’t know you had friends,” Minho jokes. Silence. Minho laughs, “That doesn’t sound like a bad thing, Jinki.”

“What if he knew what you were,” Jinki sounds threatening. Silence. “We’ve been summoned. It’s child’s play. I’ll take care of it.” Laminate being tapped lightly, “don’t forget the burden of your title. It is the cross we’ve chosen to carry.”

 

 

 

Thank you for the response you guys :3 I think i got 3 new subs :D I think. (  ._.) I ALSO GOT AN UPVOTE XD I'm thrilled! I have a feeling they're a good thing? I'm not really sure. It's interesting you should say that sashaHRH, you can expect that from the next couple chapter. I'm getting close to the end :/ the clues in the later chapters might give me away v.v Moveslikeshinee my lips are sealed xD And alright, thank you :3 I was worried you guys might be bothered by it. Anyways, hope you all like the chapter :D