Key Entry 13

I'm a Goner, Somebody Catch My Breath

I put my hand against the window today. It was cold like ice. I guess its winter. I sometimes wonder what the seasons look like. I’m sure my memory doesn’t do them justice. I can hear when it rains, but I never really get to see it. I sometimes wonder why my windows are painted. I tried scratching off the paint. Turns out someone painted both sides. It seems like Jonghyun is constantly having to make adjustments for me. I wonder why he’s still my friend sometimes. It’s a good thing this house is well insulated and has air conditioning cause the windows are sealed shut. I used to never leave my house because all of Minho’s things were here. But there’s nothing left. Why do I stay? When did I get scared of leaving my house?

“Key,” a whisper comes from the entrance of the house. Kibum stops writing, he turns quickly.

“Taemin!” Key yells as he jumps to his feet, “what are you doing here?”

Taemin smiles softly letting the bags drop from his hands, “Jonghyun asked me to come by. He said you were running out of some essentials.”

Kibum blushes as he walks towards Taemin, “oh.” The two hug, “how are your kids?”

Taemin steps back surprised, “you remembered. They’re doing good. I never thought I’d get used to being a father.”

“How old are they now?” Key leaves a hand on Taemin’s shoulder.

“Oh,” Taemin pauses, looking away, “I don’t know. Kids grow up so fast, you know?” Kibum can tell he’s lying, but doesn’t call him out on it. Taemin picks back up the bags, “I should start putting things away.” Taemin’s steps are just as silent as Jonghyun’s. Key follows him into the restroom. The cabinets don’t creek when Taemin opens them.

Key watches him place toothpaste into the slots, “how did you get in?”

“Huh,” Taemin misses the slot dropping the face wash, but catches it before it hits the sink; keeping his movements silent, “Well I knocked, but you didn’t answer. I figured you were sleeping. Jonghyun gave me a key in case you were. You didn’t hear me knock?” Taemin asks as he glances over to Kibum.

“No,” Key leans against the doorway. Taemin turns to another set of drawers to put away more toiletries. Taemin seems a bit anxious and Kibum can sense it.

Taemin stands up and directs himself once more towards Key, “you’re restocked.”

Key steps aside so Taemin can exit, “is that it?”

Taemin picks up a smaller bag, “no, I still have to give you these.” He reaches in pulling out some newly purchased books. He sits down by the coffee table to stack them, “Jonghyun told me to get you some books.” Key sits next to him at the table. He reads each title carefully, he doesn’t recognize most of the titles.

 Taemin looks at the books then back at Kibum, “I didn’t know what to get you so Jonghyun picked most of them.” He picks up a book, “my wife made me read this one … I’m not sure if you’ll like it.” Key gently takes the book from Taemin, it reads Love in the Time of Cholera. Key tries to hide a grimace, I already don’t like it.

Kibum picks up another two books, “Shadow of the Wind.” He turns to the other book and cackles, “One Hundred Years of Solitude. I think he might be making fun of me.”

Taemin gives a restrained smile, “it’s nice to see you in a good mood.”

Kibum changes his view back to Taemin, “I’ve been feeling better lately.” Taemin casts his eyes; it seems like he wants to say something, but refrains himself. Key can’t help feeling uncomfortable around Taemin when he’s being so awkward, “did you bring anything else?”

Taemin grabs the tips of both his feet, “no, I think that was it. Why were you expecting something else?”

Kibum flips through the pages of one of the books, “I actually wasn’t expecting any of this Jonghyun visited again. I would ask you to stay a bit, but I don’t really have anything we can do.”

Taemin checks his phone, “I get it. I should probably go anyways. I have other plans.”

Key feels guilty for pushing Taemin away, “can you come by next week? Jonghyun says he’s bringing games for me then.”

Taemin smiles softly, “I’m not sure. I’ll try.”

Kibum tries to hide his disappointment, “all right.” He watches Taemin put on his scarf and a coat then exit the house as silently as Jonghyun.

Taemin came by today. He was so strange. I don’t remember him behaving so held back before. Why was he being like that? Why was he lying so much? He’s a terrible liar when he’s nervous. Am I crazy? I that why he seemed so frightened? Is that ghost even a ghost? Maybe he is just a delusion. Maybe I just made him up to make me feel better.

Kibum wakes up on the couch. His books are still spread out on his coffee table. He sits up and stares at the titles again, eight new books for me to read. Shouldn’t I feel better? I have something to do again. Why do I feel so crappy? The sound of a crumpling plastic bag makes Key stiffen up. He turns towards the noise in the kitchen. Minho is staring back at him wide eyed and caught.

Minho slowly begins to chew again while pointing at the bags of take out, “someone left this here.” He opens another box loudly, his expression still cautious, “it looked like you didn’t want it since none of it was even touched.”

Kibum leers at the haunt, “ghosts don’t eat food.”

The revenant blinks slowly at Key, “you saw me eat last time I was here. Do you not remember again? Or are you just angry that I’m not eating your food now?” Kibum’s gaze softens, he’s right. How did I forget that?

“What is it?” Key sighs as he stacks his new books.

“Chicken,” Minho beams, “there are some sides, but I haven’t looked through all of them.” Minho picks at the chicken, “this place is generous with their sides.”

Key slides the books under the table, “do you know who brought the food?”

Minho shakes his head, “nope, it was here when I got here.”

Kibum walks over to the kitchen, “it was probably Taemin. Maybe this is his way of saying sorry.”

Minho leans against the counter, “what did he do?”

Key sits down on the other side of the counter, “he was being weird. He was lying a lot.”

Minho scratches strips of meat off the chicken with his index finger, “he’s usually an excellent liar.”

“That’s what I thought too,” Kibum crosses his arms on the counter. His eyes narrow, “how do you know Taemin? Do you haunt him too?” Minho doesn’t dignify his question with a response, instead he laughs. Key continues to stare at Minho, he knows everything I know. He looks exactly like Minho. His ring is exactly like Minho’s. Maybe he really is just my imagination. Kibum gets out of his seat and moves to the other side of the counter.

Minho stands up, “What are you doing?” Key advances without answering. Minho backs away his countenance fearful.

Kibum steps forward again, “you’re usually the one getting close to me. Why are you getting scared now that I’m getting close to you?”

Minho keeps stepping back, slowly cornering himself, “I don’t understand what you’re doing and you’re freaking me out.”

“Don’t play dumb,” Kibum presses forward. Minho hits a wall and grimaces. Key reaches out making Minho flinch.

“Key,” Minho whispers, “don’t.” Kibum knows his fingers make contact when Minho flinches again. Key runs his fingers down Minho’s cheek. He can see his finger making red streaks where his fingers used to be on Minho’s face.

Kibum can see where his fingers are placed there’s an indentation in Minho’s skin, “I don’t feel anything.” Minho’s appearance darkens, it’s clear the statement hurt him. Minho gently wraps his fingers around Key’s hand. He rubs his face deeply into Kibum’s hand as if he hadn’t felt his touch for an eternity. Tears creep past Minho’s eyelids.

"I do," the haunt whimpers.

 

 

Ello lovlies. Saw the comments thank you! x3 I'll go crazy if no one talks to me. One comment was very intriguing. I CAN'T SAY ANYTHING ELSE! XD I'm known to give away too much information, but thank you for your comment. It lets me have an idea of what to do next. I'm not sure how distant it is, but in the distant future you may be dealing with more angst. That's how you know the story's going to end :3 I'm a er for sad endings.

sad endings. its true. she breaks my heart every time T^T hi darlings! remember me? just dropping by real quick. hope you dont miss me too much~