For idlestar

Infinite Secret Santa 2014
For: idlestar
Title: Idiotically Perfect
Pairing: Sunggyu x Any
Prompt: A story based on your favorite infinite song lyrics - Used Man In Love
 

 

Kim Sunggyu was freaking out. 

His life was turning into such a clichéd drama with the whole I’m in love with my super hot friend but I’m too scared to confess and he is to oblivious to notice it and he didn’t like it one bit. So to stop himself from turning into a stereotypical lead heroine that waits until the guy confesses to her Sunggyu decided to be the first one to confess. 

Sunggyu groaned as he crossed out diner in an expensive restaurant from the list of things he was thinking about. The idea wasn’t bad at all but as a college student with a part time job that was barely enough to keep him fed throughout a whole month it was simply impossible to make it happen.

˝What’s with the long face?˝ Dongwoo asked as he plopped down on a seat next to Sunggyu.

˝Nothing,˝ Sunggyu closed his notebook as fast as he could trying to hide what was written in it ˝I’m just…just.˝

Luckily for Sunggyu one of Dongwoo’s friends decided to join them at that moment. It seamed like the two forgot about Sunggyu as they started to talk about somebody Sunggyu didn’t know who apparently got a new girlfriend. After five minutes of that conversation Sunggyu quickly came up with an excuse of having to meet up with someone else as he got up and left so he could think more about the confession he needed to make as fast as possible.

While walking to the library so he could have some thinking time Sunggyu spotted a familiar face in the crowd of people. Kim Myungsoo was walking by with his phone in his hands. Too busy laughing at his phone the younger didn’t notice that he was walking past Sunggyu. Sunggyu watched Myungsoo for a couple of seconds hoping that he would turn around and start a conversation. Sadly the younger just kept walking without looking back.

˝Whatever,˝ Sunggyu whispered to himself before he started walking to the library once again. It’s not like he expected Myungsoo to turn around in slow motion with flowers flying around him as he proclaimed his love for him but a simple hello from the younger would definitely be able to make Sunggyu’s day ten times more bearable.

Sunggyu could clearly hear his roommate telling him in his head how pathetic he was even if knew that Howon was probably still sleeping in one of the classrooms.

 

 

 

˝Please come again,˝ Sunggyu said with a forced smile.

He resisted the urge to close up the convenience store he worked in two hours earlier knowing that it would only leave him unemployed and unable to eat until he found a knew job. 

Working at a convenience store that’s only two blocks away from his apartment wasn’t that bad but every once in a while when a person who took the whole customer is always right thing a little to literally or neighborhood kids who screamed across the store about what they had to buy to each other Sunggyu wished he was born rich.

Sunggyu tried to keep his eyes open while he stared at the clock that seamed to be moving slower then normally. Tonight it seamed to be a slow night where only one or two people came in. It didn’t bother Sunggyu on normal days but on the days like these when he could barely keep his eyes open he wouldn’t mind if somebody was here to keep him awake even it that somebody were the screaming kids.

The doors opened and Sunggyu recited the words his boss told him he had to say if he didn’t want his paycheck to be smaller that month ˝Hello. How can I help you?˝

˝Hyung,˝ Sungyeol’s voice was worse than the screaming kids as he ran to the cash register where Sunggyu almost fell asleep ˝I’m going to die.˝

˝What is it now?˝ Sunggyu asked rolling his eyes. Sungyeol was always a little too dramatic.

˝I’m seriously going to die. I know I’m not a saint but I never did anything so horrifying to deserve this kind of torture. I’m too young for this. No actually I’m too old for this. I really can’t take this.˝

Before Sunggyu could scream at Sungyeol to just tell him what was happening the door of the convenience store opened and Myungsoo walked in with a boy Sunggyu recognized as Sungyeol’s cousin who was a high school senior. Before Sunggyu could great the two Sungyeol took a step backwards but like always he tripped and knocked down some chips. Sunggyu groaned knowing he was going to have to clean the mess up while the two who were standing next to the door laughed hysterically.

˝What happened to him?˝ Sunggyu asked trying not to walk up to Sungyeol and smack him across the back of his head.

Sungjong started laughing once again and Myungsoo explained ˝We might have filmed him dancing to Girls Generation’s Gee and said we’ll put it on you tube if he doesn’t buy us snacks.˝

˝Oh,˝ Sunggyu says as he watched Sungyeol trying to get up only to end up falling back down again. It’s not like he wanted Myungsoo to come to the store because of him, not at all.

˝Are you bored out of your mind yet?˝ Myungsoo asked as Sungjong dragged Sungyeol away so he could point out all the snacks the two wanted him to buy.

˝I almost fell asleep before Sungyeol came in screaming about not being able to take something anymore,˝

˝I’m sorry we are bothering your nap time,˝ Myungsoo was smiling as he sat down on a chair that was in front on the cash register (Sunggyu’s coworker had a best friend who hated to stand up when he visited).

Sunggyu snorted ˝What? You think I’m like Woohyun who slacks off any chance he gets.˝

Sunggyu liked moments like these. When his brain would let go of all worries and he could just talk to Myungsoo without turning into a blushing, stuttering mess like he did almost all the time he was around the younger male. But it seamed like fate loved to make fun of Sunggyu because just at that moment Myungsoo leaned over and playfully punched his shoulder. ˝I’m just kidding,˝ Myungsoo said with an adorable smile ˝Stop taking everything 
so seriously.˝

˝I was also joking,˝ Sunggyu mumbled as he tried to hide his red cheeks.

Myungsoo wanted to say something but before he could Sungyeol and Sungjong came back with hands full of all kind of snacks. Like always the two were arguing over something that probably wasn’t even important. Once Sungyeol paid for the snacks Sunggyu expected all three of them to leave but Myungsoo just took a bag of chips and continued sitting.

˝Aren’t you going to leave with Sungjong and Sungyeol?˝ Sunggyu didn’t really mind that Myungsoo was staying but he wondered why the younger was doing it.

˝I don’t want to listen to them fight any more and there’s no better way of stopping you from falling asleep then to talk to you.˝

˝Oh,˝ Sunggyu felt stupid for not being able to think of something smarter to say.

The hour and half that were left from Sunggyu’s shift were over and before he knew it he was already locking up the store. Just like he said Myungsoo stayed with him the whole time. The walk was quiet considering they talked about pretty much everything in the store. Sunggyu didn’t mind because the chances of him saying something stupid were nonexistent. They came to the part of the road where they have to go different ways much sooner than Sunggyu would liked.

˝So…I’ll be going now,˝ Sunggyu mentally kicked himself for saying something that obvious that lamely.

˝Right,˝ there was an amused smile on Myungsoo’s face that only made Sunggyu more embarrassed. ˝We should do this again some time,˝ Myungsoo said after a couple seconds of silence.

˝Why?˝ Sunggyu couldn’t stop himself from asking ˝Isn’t it kind of boring?˝

˝No,˝ Myungsoo shrugged ˝I like stuff like this.˝

 

 

 

Sunggyu was freaking out even worse than a week before.

After Myungsoo’s visit to his work place a week ago Sunggyu was even more confused. He really had no idea how to confess. The last thing Myungsoo said kept replaying in his head and he still couldn’t figure it out.

I like stuff like this Myungsoo said. But Sunggyu had no idea what he meant. Did he mean the walk or the conversation they had back at the store. 

˝Your look right now makes me want to puke,˝ his roommates oh so helpful comment angered Sunggyu more than it would usually.

˝Bite me Howon,˝ was Sunggyu’s fifth grade comeback ˝Seriously bite me.˝

˝Only if you ask nicely.˝

Sunggyu’s response at that was a well aimed pillow to Howon’s face. Sunggyu groaned when the pillow hit the back of his head. He turned around to glare at the younger only to stare a little too long when he saw Howon was dressed to impress.

˝No way,˝ Sunggyu almost screamed ˝You got a date?˝

˝It’s your fault that you didn’t take up Woohyun’s suggestion to go on a date with his friend,˝ 
Howon smirked.  ˝But maybe that’s just because you already like somebody.˝

Sunggyu knew Howon was bluffing. He never mentioned Myungsoo around him let alone the fact he liked him. So he smirked right back at his roommate ˝Have fun with Kibum. I’m sure you’ll find him interesting.˝

˝I’m sure I will.˝ Howon didn’t miss the opportunity to throw one last comment at Sunggyu before he left ˝Have fun with your drama marathon once again.˝

Sunggyu had fun with his dramas but it seamed like Howon didn’t have that much fun on his date considering the way he went strait to his room once he got home only bothering to throw a murderous glare at Sunggyu on his way. If Sunggyu was a better person he definitely wouldn’t laugh for five minutes before shouting ˝When’s the wedding?˝

 

 

 

˝Still taking fashion advice from your dad?˝ it didn’t even surprise Sunggyu that those were the first words Kibum told him as he entered the convenience store.

Usually Sunggyu would have some kind of a comeback but with Myungsoo sitting on Kibum’s usual spot he controlled himself. In the end he responded with a simple ˝It’s always nice seeing you Kibum.˝

˝You should at least do something with your hair,˝  like always Kibum ignored Sunggyu before asking ˝Where is the idiot I call my best friend?˝

˝I’m here,˝ Woohyun practically shouted as he ran out of the staff room where he was changing. His hair was a complete mess and he almost bumped into a shelf as he ran in order to avoid dealing with his friends whining. Surprisingly Woohyun managed to say bye before Kibum dragged him out of the store.

Sunggyu looked at his reflection in the mirror that Woohyun somehow convinced their boss to put up next to the cash register. ˝Should I change my haircut?˝ The question was more for Sunggyu himself than for Myungsoo who was looking at something on his phone.

Still, Myungsoo answered ˝If you want.˝

˝Maybe I should.˝ Sunggyu fixed his bangs thinking about the things he could do.
˝Look at this!˝ Myungsoo exclaimed pushing his phone to Sunggyu. Once Sunggyu calmed down after the initial shock Myungsoo explained that that was the video he and Sungjong used to blackmail Sungyeol to buy them snacks.

 

 

 

Dongwoo tried to hide behind the couch in order to dodge Sunggyu who was still in the bathroom before the older tried to haunt him down. ˝I’m sorry,˝ he shouted/apologized for the hundred time.

Howon looked up from his laptop ˝What did you do?˝

Dongwoo opened his mouth to answer but was interrupted by Sunggyu’s scream coming from the bathroom ˝DONGWOO WHY THE HELL IS MY HAIR RED?˝

 

 

 

Sunggyu hummed along to the song that was blasting from the radio in the convenience store without even noticing it was the same cheesy romantic song that he made fun of Dongwoo for listening to. After a day he was kind of ok with the new hairstyle he ended up with. But he still promised to himself that he’ll never let Dongwoo near his hair ever again.

Sunggyu heard the door opening but before he could say the rehearsed greeting he heard a familiar voice asking ˝What did you do to your hair?˝

Sunggyu didn’t dare to look up at Myungsoo as he mumbled ˝I’m trying out a new look.˝

˝From what I heard Dongwoo messed up your hair,˝ at the sound of Sungjong’s voice Sunggyu finally looked up.

It wasn’t unusual for Myungsoo and Sungjong to hang out but it was unusual for Sungjong to be dressed up on a Saturday morning. With all the preparations for college the youngest was almost always too busy to leave the school’s library let alone dress up for a visit to Sunggyu’s work place. If Sunggyu didn’t know any better he would think that the two were on a date.  

˝What are you two doing?˝ Sunggyu ignored the weird look Sungjong gave him as he went to take something from the small fridge in the end of the shop.

˝Sungjong’s school is doing a project with another school in New York in witch they have to take photos of Seoul and make a presentation about it.˝ Myungsoo held up his camera. ˝Guess who Sungjong hired to be his photographer?˝

˝By hired do you mean blackmailed into doing it?˝ Sunggyu asked knowing the way Sungjong got everything he wanted. 

˝More or less.˝ Myungsoo shrugged.

˝Hey, Myungsoo do you-˝ the want to go out with me on a date some time part of his question got interrupted by Sungjong’s complaining about how there wasn’t any of his favorite soda in the store. As the two left the store Sunggyu crossed out the just ask Myungsoo out randomly next time you see him from his notebook. He sighed trying to think of other ways to confess. 

Sadly none came to his mind.

 

 


Sunggyu spent the first day of winter vacation working. Sunggyu would be bothered by that if a certain black haired male wasn’t sitting across from him and going thru the pictures he took with Sungjong a couple of days ago. Every once in a while Myungsoo would ask for Sunggyu’s opinion about one of the pictures. It was a nice way to spend the first day of a seriously needed vacation. At least until Myungsoo started speaking.

˝Are you free this weekend?˝ the younger asked with a smile that made Sunggyu feel a little light headed.

˝Um-I-I-I-˝ after mentally cursing at himself for acting like a teenage girl Sunggyu cleared his throat and managed to say ˝I think I am. Why?˝

˝Sungyeol wants to throw a party and he asked me to invite everybody I know.˝

˝I’ll try to make it,˝ Sunggyu said much less excited than when he first heard Myungsoo’s question. ˝Can I bring some friends along?˝ 

˝The more the better. Right?˝

˝Right.˝

 

 

 

˝I’m sorry,˝ Myungsoo apologized as he and Sunggyu walked out of the convenience store ˝I had no idea that the food would cost that much.˝

˝It’s fine,˝ Sunggyu assured the younger while the wallet in his pocket completely disagreed with him because the shoes he wanted to get for two weeks weren’t going to fall at his lap from the sky but he figured he could wait until his next paycheck to buy them.

When he saw that the younger still looked unconvinced Sunggyu switched the topic. ˝Why did Sungyeol need that much food for the party anyway?˝ he asked nudging the younger’s shoulder.

Myungsoo laughed ˝He’s been freaking out the whole day.˝

˝Why?˝

˝It’s the first party in his own place so he wants it to be perfect.˝

˝Believe me, as long as there is alcohol and enough people, everybody will be happy,˝ the 
glare, that wasn’t even a little threatening, Myungsoo send him made Sunggyu laugh. ˝Tell me I’m wrong,˝ he challenged the younger.

But Myungsoo never got the chance to answer because at that moment it started snowing. Not just any snow but the first snow in that year. Sunggyu would have gagged at how the whole scene looked like it was ripped out of some ridiculous romantic comedy but then it hit him. This kind of stuff makes the perfect how we got together stories that make all the other couples jealous.

But before he could speak Myungsoo’s phone rang. Instead of a perfect confession Sunggyu got to spend the next ten minutes listening to Myungsoo trying to calm Sungyeol down. Apparently he didn’t have enough beer for the party. 

Kim Sunggyu had an urge to have a mental breakdown in the middle of a street.

 

 


The next night Sunggyu was awkwardly trying to spot Myungsoo in the crowd of people in Sungyeol’s apartment. Sunggyu managed to convince Howon and Dongwoo to come with him but the two went to talk to one of Howon’s friends that was somehow at the party as soon as they entered. After being ditched by the two Sunggyu decided to find Myungsoo. Sadly it seamed like the younger was nowhere to be found. Somewhere in the living room or at least what he thought was the living room (it was his first time in Sungyeol’s apartment and all the people weren’t helping) he bumped into Sungjong.

˝Aren’t you supposed to be somewhere in a library?˝ Sunggyu thought that the question came out a lot ruder than it was supposed to but judging from the younger’s smile it amused him more than in angered him.

˝Shouldn’t you be playing bingo somewhere,˝ after speaking Sungjong took a sip from something that Sunggyu highly doubted was a regular soda, after all they were on a college party.

˝See you around,˝ Sunggyu ignored the disappointed look on Sungjong’s face knowing it was only there because he didn’t pay attention to his insult.

Sunggyu kept trying to spot Myungsoo among all the people but once again lady luck wasn’t on his side. Just when Sunggyu thought that things couldn’t possibly get any worse he ran into none other than Kim Kibum. After the two minutes of Kibum laughing at his hair he showed a glass in his hand and told Sunggyu to go mingle. Sunggyu left the glass on a table as he continued his search for Myungsoo.

After half an hour there was only one room Sunggyu didn’t check, Sungyeol’s bedroom. Deciding that going into the room would be rude Sunggyu turned around and decided to find one of his friends.

 

 

 

Sunggyu was never a morning person but once he realized his head was on Howon’s shoulder he jumped up from the couch they were lying on. It took Sunggyu a couple of seconds to remember they were still at Sungyeol’s apartment because Dongwoo got drunk and couldn’t drive them back home. Sunggyu fell back down on the couch when a very blond Myungsoo walked in. Sunggyu wanted to slap himself across the back of his head for just staring at the younger with wide eyes but he was stuck in one spot looking like a gold fish.

˝Ummm…I…umm,˝ in the end Sunggyu managed to say ˝Good morning.˝

˝Morning,˝ Myungsoo looked tired as he sat down on the floor in front the couch. ˝Was last night fun?˝ Myungsoo asked while he tried to fix his hair that was sticking in every direction.

˝It was good,˝ Sunggyu couldn’t keep his eyes away from Myungsoo’s hair. It wasn’t bad it was just completely different from the black it was for as long as Sunggyu knew him.

˝You are staring at my hair,˝ Myungsoo said with an amused grin ˝Do you like it that much?˝

The couple of drinks he had last night didn’t help his brain that was still half asleep from stopping himself before he could say ˝I like you.˝

Sunggyu wanted nothing more than to go to the bathroom and slam his head against a wall because this wasn’t how it was supposed to go. He was supposed to confess in a romantic way not in Sungyeol’s living room with Dongwoo’s and Howon’s snoring as the background music. Before Sunggyu could get up and run away Myungsoo’s grin turned into a giant smile. But before either of them could say anything else a scream from Sungyeol’s bathroom was heard ˝WHO THE HELL CLOGGED THE TOILET?˝

˝I like you too,˝ Myungsoo answered while both of them ignored Sungyeol who was running around and screaming about his toilet.

So maybe Sunggyu’s confession wasn’t romantically cheesy like what most people wanted (maybe it was the complete opposite of romantic) but he figured that it was all right as long as 

Myungsoo kept that giant smile on his face.