For RedVelvetRose

Infinite Secret Santa 2014

For RedVelvetRose

From Secret Santa

Prompt: Highschool!AU  Teachers fanboying over their students pairing: Sunggyu likes Myungsoo paired up with Sungjong, but Woohyun wants Myungsoo to be with Sungyeol. There's war between Sunggyu and Woohyun over their OTP.

Pairings: Woogyu, Myungyeol, Myungjong

Warnings: Some language and instances of bullying


Love You, Like You

 

It’s that time of year when the trees are bare with empty branches and snow threatens to fall any day. Therefore, it’s too cold for the sun to be shining down the way it is on Myungsoo’s head.  He’s asleep on his desk, mouth open and snoring, but because the way the light is falling through the window he somehow looks angelic instead.  The light turns the tips of his hair from brown to gold, highlights the lashes that fall over skin, and it accentuates his lips.  It’s unfair because the illumination also brings out the blemishes victim to adolescence but that doesn’t stop Myungsoo from being handsome.  If anything he looks better this way.  He’s not flawless but he’s ideal, and Sungjong vaguely notices that the bell has already rung. 

He raises a hand, uncertain when he sweeps a hand over his bangs.  Thankfully it doesn’t matter because Myungsoo is a deep sleeper and he won’t wake up with a simple touch. Therefore he clasps a hand on his friend’s back and shakes his shoulder until Myungsoo’s squinting his eyes and swatting his hand away.  He looks confused, unsure of his surroundings until it dawns on him that he fell asleep in class and it’s already over.  “It’s cold,” he whines and Sungjong laughs before tossing over his jacket.  “Of course it is you .”

He could have said it more nicely.  Sunggyu rolls his eyes from the front of the classroom watching Myungsoo glare at his friend who seems to pay no heed on his discomfort.  Yet, that doesn’t change the gentle touches exchanged before Myungsoo woke up and Sunggyu is certain that there are some feelings harboring in the friendship.  He should probably look more upset when his students get up from their seats, giving him sheepish looks as they make their way out of the classroom with smiles on their faces and arms bumping side by side but he’s beaming.  Yes.  His otp is simply the best.

Sunggyu is a romanticist of the sort, probably why he ended up as a high school English teacher in the first place.  High school was the best part of his life.  It was even better than college because he relishes in the times he didn’t have priorities, could enjoy a social life with a carefree schedule, and waste hours upon hours reading manga without remorse.  He still reads manga but he enjoys where he is in life now.  There’s a satisfaction that comes from watching kids grow up to become adults, or at least that what he reminds himself when he watches awkward love exchanges from afar.  Sometimes he just wants to in, make these oblivious idiots realize that they like each other so they can move on and live happily ever after.  Again, Sunggyu is a romanticist.

“Hey, you done yet?”

He lifts his head to see Woohyun already dressed in normal clothes and his bag slung over his shoulder.  His hair isn’t as messy as it usually is at this point of day but it is getting longer.  His bangs are beginning to surpass his eyebrows which means that he’ll be gelling his hair back soon until he gets another haircut.  Sunggyu doesn’t know why he notices these things.

“That was fast.  Hold on, I’m almost ready,” he promises getting the rest of his papers together to put in his brief case. 

“Students didn’t have to dress out today so it took a lot less time to get everyone out of the locker room,” Woohyun offers and Sunggyu hums in understanding.  

Woohyun’s a physical education instructor at the school, a gym teacher although he gets scolded every time he calls him that.  Sunggyu actually only knows him because he happens to be his next door neighbor in the apartment complex he lives in.  They got to know each other after they took the same path to work every day.  Otherwise he doubts he would have ever met Woohyun considering how Sunggyu pretty much never runs into the other gym instructors. 

“I’m ready,” he says and Woohyun flashes him a smile before they leave the classroom to go home.  When they reach the courtyard, Sunggyu notices a group of students which include Myungsoo and Sungjong.  Sungjong is talking enthusiastically and Sunggyu smiles fondly when he catches Myungsoo staring, looking at Sungjong as if he was the moon and the stars himself.  However there’s a waving hand blocking his vision and Sunggyu looks over to Woohyun who is looking at him curiously. 

“What are looking at?” 

Sunggyu tries to keep the smile to himself before he nods his head in their direction.  “There’s two students in my class who like each other but they haven’t confessed to each other yet.  They’re over there talking right now.  It’s cute,” Sunggyu adulates while Woohyun cranes his head to look.

“Oh! You’re talking about Myungsoo and Sungyeol right?  I know, they are cute.”

“What?”

There’s a passing moment when Woohyun is looking at him confused and Sunggyu is absolutely bewildered because how in the world could he infer that he meant Sungyeol instead of Sungjong.  “Did you mean to say Sungjong?  You said Sungyeol.”

“No…I meant Sungyeol.  I see them flirting around the court every day.  They’re practically dating.”

Sunggyu can’t hold in his laughter, pointing at Woohyun because honestly, he would make a mistake like this.  “So you thought they were dating?  They’re just friends Woohyun.  Sungjong is the one Myungsoo likes.”  He’s still laughing, wiping the mirth from his eyes but Woohyun is standing quietly with one eyebrow raised. 

“Actually, I was going to say that Sungjong and Myungsoo are the ones who are just friends.  They have almost zero to none skinship while Sungyeol is always touching Myungsoo.  I mean look at them right now.”

Myungsoo is standing with arms crossed, his eyes still trained on Sungjong but standing next to him is Sungyeol who has one arm draped across Myungsoo’s shoulders.  They are leaning close together and Sungyeol is practically breathing in his ear.  Maybe Woohyun’s right on some parts.  Sungyeol’s body language does insinuate that he likes Myungsoo but he’s not the one who Myungsoo is looking at.  It’s obvious that Sungjong is the one he likes.

“Looks like unrequited love to me,” he answers honestly and Woohyun pursues his lips, clearly wanting to say more except Sunggyu interrupts him, “Come on, I’m hungry.  Let’s go home already.” 

 

-

 

It isn’t until Sunggyu is snuggled into the couch, ready to read that Woohyun brings up the subject of Myungsoo and Sungjong again.  It’s their daily routine.  Sunggyu lets Woohyun come over and Woohyun cooks dinner while he catches up on his manga.  It’s a schedule that works well since Woohyun doesn’t like to be alone while Sunggyu hates to cook.  Except instead of reading, Sunggyu is distracted by a perturbed friend. 

“What’s wrong with you?  You’ve been moody ever since we left school,” he asks but even with his eyes trained on his book, he can feel Woohyun’s glare directed at him from his spot on the couch.

“Nothing.  I just think you’re wrong about Myungsoo and Sungjong.”

That gets Sunggyu’s attention.  He looks up and he’s surprised to see the stern frown his lips has set in.  “Okay…Why?” he decides to ask, watching Woohyun’s shift on the couch to face him. 

“Sungjong is like a brother to Myungsoo.  He’s the one who Myungsoo protected from bullies.  Ever since they have been close but you’re mistaking love for brotherhood.  Myungsoo clearly treats Sungjong as a little brother.”

“Ah, that’s why you’re confused,” Sunggyu muses sympathetically.  He should probably ask how Woohyun knows all this about Myungsoo’s and Sungjong’s life but then he’d have to explain how he knew as well.  “You’re right.  Sungjong was like a brother to him at first but Sungjong can hold his own.  Physically he might need Myungsoo to protect him but mentally he’s actually very mature for his age.  His mentality doesn’t fit a little brother persona and that’s how Myungsoo began to notice him.  Sungjong’s personality is unique as well as admirable.  Ultimately, there’s no way Myungsoo couldn’t have fallen for him.”

He goes back to his book, conversation over but Woohyun puts the book back down.

“That’s not true though!  Myungsoo is a lot closer to Sungyeol and he inevitably fell for his best friend.  Their friendship is entirely different from his and Sungjong’s.  Sungjong and him are always laughing together but with Sungyeol, there’s more than that.  If something were to happen, Myungsoo would definitely go to Sungyeol first.  Sungjong’s always been second.”

“Second?” Sunggyu fakes a laugh.  “I’m sorry but have you seen the way Myungsoo looks at Sungjong?  He literally stares at him to the point that Sungjong doesn’t even notice anymore because he’s used to it.”

“Yes, but where is the love in that?  You just said it yourself.  Sungjong doesn’t notice when he stares.   Have you ever seen him look at Sungyeol?  Sungyeol actually looks back.”

“You can look at someone and not have feelings for them.  If anything, since Sungjong doesn’t look back then that should show that he’s too nervous to because he knows that if he were to look back, Myungsoo could see through to his feelings.

“Really? You honestly believe you can make eye contact and not develop feelings?”  Woohyun isn’t frowning at him anymore but there definitely isn’t any trace of a smile and Sunggyu doesn’t know why the atmosphere suddenly feels cold.

“Of course,” he answers confidently but Woohyun’s quick to counter.

“Okay then look at me.”

There’s an imminent silence that settles in the apartment and Sunggyu doesn’t feel well.  “Excuse me?” he asks but Woohyun merely shrugs.  “If you’re so confident that Myungsoo likes Sungjong then I want to see if you’re right.  If you can hold eye contact with me and not feel anything then I’ll acknowledge that you have a point.  Alright?”

Sunggyu gives him a look but Woohyun’s doing a damn good job at keeping his face neutral.  Although, he supposes that if this were to prove his case it couldn’t hurt.   “Alright,” he decides, reaching for his phone and going through his apps until he gets to the timer.  “One minute.  If I feel nothing then this proves I’m right.”

“Deal,” Woohyun agrees instantly and Sunggyu crisscrosses his legs to bump against Woohyun’s when he turns to him.  “Ready?” he asks, waiting for Woohyun’s nod before he presses the start button. 

There’s nothing particularly weird about staring at Woohyun.  He’s used to Woohyun’s features since he practically sees him every day but he doesn’t usually focus on the details.  For instance, Woohyun has these normal brown, Korean eyes but it’s not like they’re bad.  They’re narrow and Sunggyu decides like he likes the shape of them.  It works well with his face and the short eyelashes that are only perceived from this proximity.  Plus, there’s the sharp angles of his face that Sunggyu has always envied.  He calls his nose sculpted because overall Woohyun has a chiseled face.  Honestly it’s not fair he gets to have these strong, prominent jaw lines while Sunggyu’s are more subtle.  He doesn’t usually think this way but it’s hard not to when he has to stare at him for a full minute.  He’s beginning to feel uneasy and he lets his eyes wander.  Is this actually a normal thing between friends?

A hand comes to his chin and Sunggyu looks back up surprised.  He knows it’s because he was supposed to keep eye contact but that doesn’t stop the jump in his chest.  The problem is that they’re way too close and Sunggyu doesn’t know how to breathe without it coming out strained.  Also, it doesn’t help that Woohyun is close enough that he can feel the slight fan of his breath against his face and Sunggyu swallows.  Woohyun’s eyes follow his throat at the same time Sunggyu’s eyes drop to his lips and the timer goes off.

Sunggyu’s first to pull away, hoping that the heat he feels is from setting the thermostat too high but Woohyun is looking at him expectantly.  “So…Anything?” he asks and somehow Sunggyu’s voice feels stuck in his throat.  Did he feel anything?  Sunggyu’s thoughts go back to the moment Woohyun grabbed his chin and “nope,” he answers quickly.  There’s definitely not a stir in his chest when Woohyun’s lips settle into a thin line, “Alright.  I guess I’ll acknowledge that Sungyeol and Myungsoo staring at each other doesn’t mean anything although I still believe they’re dating.”

“What? You said you’d acknowledge that I’m right!” Sunggyu protests but Woohyun cracks him a smile.

“I said I’d acknowledge that you have a point.  I didn’t say that I’d agree Myungsoo and Sungjong are dating.  There are still many more reasons why Myungyeol is real.”

Sunggyu wants to gag from that pairing name but Woohyun pats his leg instead, using it to push himself off the couch.  “Better get back to your .”  He says it in a teasing manner but somehow Sunggyu feels as if he’s missed like punch line.  Like even though it was supposed to be a joke, the grin was missing.  Sunggyu wonders if there’s a lot of things missing between them.

 

-

 

Sunggyu’s beginning to wonder if the title class president actually stands for “number one kid to harass”.  He holds himself against the wall with hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath while at the same time trying to keep it quiet but apparently he failed because the door is kicked open and the classroom Sunggyu was hiding in is no longer empty. 

“Hey Sunggyu,” his classmate greets although it’s nothing friendly.  In fact it’s threatening, and Sunggyu scrambles to rush to the other door to escape only to get a kick to the stomach that sends him spiraling back instead.  

It’s so ironic because Sunggyu is the class president.  It’s his job to report bullying but when his bully is the principal’s son, he’s nothing but worthless.  Sunggyu tries to get up, wrapping an arm around himself but it doesn’t do much the block the kick that sends him back down again before his perpetrator is on top of him with a hand to his throat. 

He tries to be optimistic, because usually the bullying he receives isn’t this bad but yesterday Sunggyu had finally had enough.  He tried to report them but his report got mysteriously lost amongst the files and Sunggyu feels like an idiot, particularly now when his windpipe is cut off and he’s suffocating. 

“I’m impressed.  I didn’t think you’d have the guts to go try and report us but maybe that’s why you were elected class president after all.  It’s a shame we’ll have to find a new president.”  There’s a terrible look in his eyes and Sunggyu’s terrified because the hand on his throat only seems to tighten and his vision is beginning to blacken on the edges.  He tries to kick him off, do anything that will let him breathe again but this guy is so much stronger than he is.  He raises a fist and Sunggyu feels like he’s going to pass out before there’s a rushing force that topples both of them over. 

He gasps for air, coughing hoarsely as he tries to keep himself conscious.  The room is spinning but Sunggyu’s able to make out the figure of a guy on top of his bully, practically beating the out of him.  It’s funny because the bully’s friends suddenly seem unsure of what to do.  They’re hesitant to protect their leader but they end up running away from the scene instead. 

Even though he tried to stay awake, Sunggyu must have out at some point because the next thing he can comprehend is his head being held up and the guy who saved him asking if he’s alright.  Sunggyu manages a thumbs up that brings out a scoff from the latter before he’s hulled into his arms and picked up.  The principal’s son is nowhere in sight.   “Come on.  I’ll get you to the nurse.  They won’t hurt you anymore.” 

Sunggyu has no idea how he can believe that but the guy looks so certain and when Sunggyu gets a closer look at his face, he realizes who his savior is exactly.  Suddenly a lot of things make sense, such as why the friends ran away and how his bully was overtaken.  This guy is practically famous in the school, an admirable student and star player in the field.  He’s also the son of a CEO and Sunggyu suddenly feels extremely vulnerable.  “I’m Hoya by the way,” the star athlete beams down at him and the thrumming in his chest really isn’t okay.  

 

-

 

Sunggyu hangs around the bleachers, feeling pretty out of place in suit and tie when students in T-shirts and gym shorts walk by giving him questioning looks.  Thankfully, it’s not long after that Woohyun comes out of the locker room, spots Sunggyu, and jogs over.

“Hey!  You came,” he smiles too brightly because it makes his eyes squint.

“You better be cooking steak tonight because I’m missing my lunch break for you right now.”

“Yes, Yes.  I know.  You’ve been reminding me all morning,” he waves his hand but he doesn’t look sorry at all.  Seeing Woohyun in gym attire isn’t anything new.  All he wears is a V neck with simple gym shorts and matching tennis shoes but it’s kind of cool to see Woohyun in his element.  He has a basketball held under his arm, supported by biceps that Sunggyu isn’t paying attention to.  However, Woohyun seems to notice his eye on the ball and he shoots it at him, Sunggyu managing to catch it at the last second before stumbling back. 

“Good reflex,” Woohyun smirks and Sunggyu chucks it at him, only to miss and roll down the court instead.  Needless to say, Woohyun’s still laughing when he comes back with the ball.  “Alright well class is starting soon.  You should be alright sitting here on the bleachers.  Don’t want you to miss out on the Myungyeol.”  He winks and runs off before Sunggyu can do anything to reprimand him. 

He didn’t tell anyone that the reason why he wasn’t going to be in the teacher’s lounge today was to observe his pupils in what has become an otp war of some sort.  He’s actually surprised at how passionate Woohyun is over this.  Since that night, they’ve had at least three more arguments over who is dating who and it’s gotten to the point that they decided they should observe their otps together instead.  That’s why Sunggyu is here today, because his lunch break conveniently falls during Myugnsoo’s, Sungyeol’s, and Sungjong’s gym time.  However, Woohyun seems just as determined to prove Sunggyu wrong as he is to him and if lunch is what must be sacrificed to prove a point, then so be it.  His otp is flawless. 

Sunggyu’s brought back from his thoughts when he sees Myungsoo and Sungjong walking out of the locker room together.  Sungjong has an apple head and Myungsoo is poking at the ponytail until Sungjong swats his hand away.  “It’s so cute!” he can overhear Myungsoo cooing.  Sungjong huffs and walks past him as if he’s annoyed but there’s a smile on his lips and Sunggyu’s practically screaming on the inside over how cute they are.  However, just as he’s about to celebrate his victory, Sungyeol is sneaking up from behind Myungsoo before wrapping arms around his waist, causing Myungsoo to jump. 

“Got you!” Sungyeol laughs when Myungsoo turns around with wide eyes and this is the moment when Sungyeol should remove his hands but the bastard doesn’t and Sunggyu wants to yell at them to break apart.  Thankfully he doesn’t have to because Myungsoo goes in for a tickle attack that has Sungyeol screaming and asking for mercy.  Sunggyu frowns, watching Sungyeol surrender before Woohyun calls everyone over to take role.  When Sunggyu looks over, Woohyun is giving him a knowing grin and Sunggyu crosses his arms.  The period isn’t over yet.

For the most part nothing happens.  It’s just a normal gym class which Woohyun uses to separate the class into two teams for a game of basketball.  Of course Woohyun puts Myungsoo and Sungyeol on the same team whereas Sungjong is forced to be on the other.  However, Myungsoo gives Sungjong a small pat on the shoulder before going to the other side of the court.  It just goes to show that even when they’re separated, his otp is still strong and Sunggyu is content with that…even when Sungyeol takes advantage of wrapping his arm around Myungsoo’s shoulder in the team huddle. 

Then they’re playing ball and Sunggyu’s pretty much watching his least favorite sport.  Woohyun seems to like it a lot though.  Instead of standing with arms crossed and a whistle in his mouth, he’s running back and forth on the court with them, shouting insults and encouragement at the same time.  It’s rather funny but it’s also cute.  Woohyun said he became an athletic instructor because he loved the gym and being healthy.  However, it’s obvious that Woohyun enjoys playing with the kids as well.  It’s that youthful trait that Woohyun’s clinging onto and Sunggyu’s a bit envious that he’s been able to become a working adult but still have fun at the same time. 

Sunggyu must have been day dreaming too long because all of a sudden Sungjong is on the ground with a bloody nose and Myungsoo is rushing over to his side.  “Sungjong!” he yells and even Sunggyu stands up to run over but Woohyun beats him to it.  “Hey you okay?” Woohyun asks looking over him carefully before procuring the towel from his pocket and holding it up to his nose.  Thankfully Sungjong seems okay, just dazed with blood on his shirt but Woohyun makes eye contact with him before waving him over.  “I’m sorry Sunggyu but could you take Sungjong to the nurse’s office for me?”

“I can take him,” Myungsoo pipes up.

“No he will be fine with Mr. Kim.  We still have class.”

“But,” Myungsoo is arguing and it warms Sunggyu’s heart because the concern is so evident on his face but Woohyun’s right.  “He’ll be fine with me,” he assures Myungsoo who looks at Sunggyu reluctantly, as if to tell him he better take good care of Sungjong but Sunggyu will do that.  He takes Sungjong under his arm and helps walk him out of the gym. 

 

-

 

Sunggyu doesn’t go to the nurse’s office nearly as often anymore, which is helpful since Sunggyu doesn’t have to convince the nurse that he has a bloody nose symptom when in reality, he’s getting beat up all the time.  Actually, she probably never believed him in the first place because seeing him in her office again, she looks disappointed as well as displeased. 

“Sunggyu…” She knows him by name but Sunggyu interrupts her with a smile.  “Hello Mrs. Kim.  I guess my sinuses are getting bad again,” he says springing up onto the patient table.  She merely sighs, going to grab a washcloth to wash his face with.  Honestly, things have been much better ever since Hoya stood up for him against the principal’s son.  He’s able to walk down the hallways without fear of getting jumped or flour pouring from his locker but they find a way, such as today when they were playing volleyball in gym and a classmate spiked the ball directly at his face.

His nose stings a lot and if there’s one thing he hates, its blood but he just hopes that his nose isn’t broken.  He looks at the nurse expectantly when she comes back over with a wet washcloth and a hand on her hip.  “Your nose looks red and swollen but it doesn’t look broken to me.  Now wash your face,” she answers him handing him the cloth and Sunggyu’s about to do that when the door bursts open with Hoya heaving at the entrance.  “Sunggyu! Are you okay?  I heard you got hurt.  I swear if it were those g-”

“I’m fine!” Sunggyu shouts over him, nodding over to the nurse who isn’t stupid.  She knows exactly what Hoya was going to say but she doesn’t mention it.  Sunggyu silently thanks her. 

“You can’t be in here unless you’re hurt,” she scolds but Hoya raises his arm, looking proud at the bleeding wound on his arm that will most likely be a gross scab for the next week or two.  “Fine,” the nurse looks annoyed but she lets him stay and Hoya comes over to sit next to Sunggyu. 

He suddenly feels self-conscious, because if the nurse was right he probably looks like Rudolph right now but Hoya takes the cloth from his hand and uses it to wipe the blood off his face instead.  “You should have been more careful...” he says but he doesn’t look angry.  Just upset and Sunggyu can’t help but blush as a result.  “I’m sorry,” he mutters and Hoya’s hand hesitates.  They make eye contact and Sunggyu can’t help how loud his heart beats.  He tries to place the expression on Hoya’s face but Hoya gently dabs at his face again, “Don’t be.  It’s not your fault.”  Sunggyu doesn’t know how to respond to that.  He’s just thankful.

 

-

 

Sungjong has new towel pressed to his nose but the bleeding has almost ceased at this point.  “You okay?” Sunggyu asks but Sungjong smiles and nods his head.  “Yes Mr. Kim.  I’m fine.  Thank you for taking care of me.” 

Sunggyu has to laugh at that.  “You’re welcome.  Just be glad you don’t have a broken nose.  Those are the worst.”  They’re just waiting on the nurse to give some him painkillers before Sungjong can go back to the locker room and change before his next class, which is good because Sunggyu’s next class is also starting soon.

“Mr. Kim, why were you at gym today anyways?” Sungjong asks him curiously and it’s not like Sunggyu can tell him the truth.  Oh actually I was there to spy on you and Myungsoo, see if you’ve progressed in your relationship, and squashed Myungyeol’s hopes and dreams.  “I told Mr. Nam I’d come watch today.”  It’s the half-truth but Sungjong seems completely satisfied with it.  “That makes sense,” he says and Sunggyu’s about to ask why when the nurse comes back with the pills. 

“You’re all good to go,” she says and they thank her before Sunggyu’s leading him back to the gym.  Sunggyu should keep his mouth shut but honestly, he never gets the chance to talk to his students one on one unless they are failing his class.  Therefore Sunggyu can’t let the opportunity pass.  “You’re lucky to have a friend like Myungsoo.  I can tell that he worries a lot about you.” 

Sungjong looks taken aback at first but he’s quick to smile and laugh about it.  “Yeah I guess so.  He’s a pretty good friend.”  Sunggyu wants to say more but they’ve reached the gym and Myungsoo is running up, throwing arms around Sungjong’s neck. 

“I thought you died!” he whines dramatically and Sungjong laughs, patting his back.  “You’re an idiot.  Why would I die from a ball to the face?” 

“I don’t know,” Myungsoo mumbles into his shoulder, causing Sungjong to smile.  Sunggyu takes this as his cue to leave and he walks over to Woohyun.

“Is he okay?” Woohyun asks immediately and Sunggyu nods. 

“Yup.  His nose is irritated but he’ll be fine.”  Woohyun looks relieved and he takes Sunggyu’s hand. 

“Thank you.  I didn’t mean to make you take him to the office for me but I appreciate it.”  Woohyun’s hand feels warm in his and Sunggyu almost wants to blush from the sincerity of his voice.  “Really, it was nothing,” he claims but the way Woohyun is looking at him makes Sunggyu feel happy. 

 

-

 

It’s been awhile since the gym incident and Sunggyu’s coming to realize that the school year is coming to an end, with only a month and a half left until its summer.  He’d hoped that after that day at the gym, Myungsoo and Sungjong would be closer but to his dismay, things seem to be just the same as before.  The only difference is that now it’s spring so when Myungsoo wakes up after class, he’s complaining about the red mark on his cheek instead of the cold.  Though, something that has progressed is the amount of time they spend together because Sunggyu partnered them up for a massive final project. 

He’s rather proud of himself, because it’s a project that he assigns every year but this year he decided to pick the partners himself so Myungjong would have to go to each other’s houses often.  He presses a hand to his mouth, trying to contain his emotions because only adorable thoughts of his otp cuddling on the couch together reading Shakespeare flow through his mind but Woohyun, as always, is quick to burst his bubble.

“You look creepy.  Stop it,” he says and Sunggyu frowns at him.  He forgot that he had Woohyun in class today to help “judge the presentations”.  The students seemed to buy it, or at least they smiled at him when Woohyun walked in the classroom. 

Sunggyu’s quick to get the presentations started because they’re supposed to be 5 minutes long and he has a full class to get through with only an hour to spare but he’s anticipating Myungjong’s project.  For the most part, it goes pretty well.  He can tell that Myungsoo is nervous because he’s never been the type to speak in front of a crowd but Sungjong accommodates him well.  Actually, Sunggyu is really impressed with Sungjong’s public speaking skills and he makes a note to talk to him about it later.  When they finished, the class is clapping and Myungsoo and Sungjong share an exchange of smiles.  Sunggyu’s so proud of them. 

“I’m sorry but I just don’t see it,” Woohyun whispers in his ear and Sunggyu stiffens because the breath is warm and something akin to a chill runs down his spine.  “You must be blind then,” Sunggyu whispers back, expecting to look over and see Woohyun pouting at him but instead Woohyun looks serious. 

“Am I?”

 

-

 

Sunggyu’s standing inside the foyer a very elegant home and he feels extremely under dressed even though he’s here to play video games.  Thankfully Hoya had picked him up to bring him over because otherwise Sunggyu’s mom would have had to of dropped him off and between getting through the gates and the minivan, it would have been humiliating.  Sunggyu really needs to start working so he can buy himself a car. 

“Sorry.  I know my place is a bit much…” Hoya rubs a hand behind his neck, looking embarrassed when he shouldn’t be at all. 

“No! No! It’s really nice.  I’m sorry, I guess I’m just not used to going over to friends’ houses.”  The words came out of his mouth before he could think about it because even though it’s already obvious that Sunggyu doesn’t have a lot of friends, he didn’t need to say it out loud.  Thankfully Hoya doesn’t seem to mind.  “I’m glad to have you over then.   I actually have someone I want you to meet.”  As if on cue, a guy comes bounding down the stairs to stop in front of them.  His hair is a shocking shade of blonde, but he’s all smiles with big eyes and flashy teeth. 

“You must be Sunggyu!  I’ve heard so much about you from Howon.”  It’s easy to infer that Howon is Hoya’s real name, although he’s never heard him called that before.  Hoya also seems to blush from the reveal of his real name.  “This is my best friend Dongwoo.  He’s hyper but he’s harmless.  I promise,” he assures.

“Of course I’m harmless,” he laughs loudly but Sunggyu takes the opportunity to bow to him. 

“It’s nice to meet you,” he greets politely but Dongwoo looks surprised.  “Ah, no, you don’t need to bow.  I’d like to be friends too.”

Honestly, Sunggyu has no idea what to say.  He’s never heard of anyone who wanted to be friends with him before but here is Hoya’s friend saying exactly that.  “I..um Thank you,” is all he can think of saying and it seems to be the right response because both Dongwoo and Hoya are both smiling at him. 

“So, do you like Call of Duty?”

 

-

 

Sunggyu’s scrambling in his apartment, cursing at the clock because this isn’t the time to be turning his bedroom upside down to find a damn tie.  There’s a knock on his door and Sunggyu turns around ready to yell at Woohyun and tell him that no, he’s not ready to go yet but the words die on his lips as soon as he sees him.  Woohyun is handsome and it’s not a revelation that Sunggyu suddenly has.  It’s a fact he’s known ever since he met him.  Actually, everyone seems to know that Woohyun is handsome with the amount of gossip that goes around the teacher’s lounge about Woohyun’s abs and his nonexistent dating life.  Sunggyu knows Woohyun is attractive and he’s used to it.  However, that doesn’t change the way his heart races at the sight of him in a tux. 

His tux is black with a white button down underneath that’s lacking a tie because the top buttons are undone.  As a result, his collar bones peak from his shirt and it’s not an appropriate look for a teacher, at least in Sunggyu’s opinion.  It doesn’t matter though, because the suit fills Woohyun’s form perfectly and he looks incredible.  Even his hair looks better than usual, gelled back and styled with the kind of care that had to of taken more than ten minutes.  It frames his face and it’s really not fair that Woohyun is so handsome. 

“Wow I must really look good if you’re speechless,” he teases but Sunggyu knows him well enough to read the gleam in his eye which shows that he’s happy.  “Shut up.  I can’t find my tie and apparently you can’t either.”

Woohyun laughs really hard over that but he grabs onto his wrist to stop him from turning over the mattress.  “Do what I did then,” he says and his fingers go to the collar of his shirt.  He’s standing close…way too close and it reminds Sunggyu of the day they had that staring contest a couple months ago.  He still can’t explain what happened that day, when he had to maintain eye contact with Woohyun for a full minute and almost failed but it almost feels like deja vu.  He’s struggling to breathe again but Woohyun doesn’t seem to notice, his eyes focused down on his shirt while his fingers work to push the buttons open.  When the top three buttons are done, his hands stop and Woohyun meets his gaze.  

Woohyun’s so handsome.

Sunggyu forces himself to take a step back and the cold breath of air should feel like a relief except it doesn’t.  “There,” Woohyun says softly and Sunggyu turns to look in the mirror.  He actually doesn’t look bad with this kind of look.  Sure, his skin is a lot paler than Woohyun’s and his collar bones aren’t going to pop out either but it’s better than anything else at this point.  He reaches for his coat except Woohyun puts his hand down.  “No you look good like this.  Trust me,” he says so Sunggyu nods. 

“Okay,”

Sunggyu doesn’t know where to look, suddenly suffering from a lack of words with his own best friend but as usual Woohyun comes to the rescue. 

“Do you have on eyeliner?”

Sunggyu silently curses and thanks him for the change of subject.

 

-

 

Sunggyu loves being a high school teacher but he also has to be brutally reminded each year of that horrible stage teenagers go through which consists of uncontrollable hormones and awkward phases.  He’s so embarrassed and he has no idea how students can practically hump each other in front of their teachers.  He’s lucky that most of his students are good pupils but Sunggyu’s eyes still get scarred every year.  Luckily, he has Woohyun to stand next to him this year.

Woohyun never chaperones prom.  Something about having a bad prom experience and his hatred for dressing up.  Actually, it’s probably to avoid the other teachers because it seems as if Sunggyu never gets a moment alone with him.  Teacher after teacher comes up to Woohyun, complimenting his looks and engaging in conversation.  Even a couple come up to him, which is surprising but there’s a lot more women teachers chaperoning this year and it’s probably because they found out that Woohyun would be there too.  The thought sits sourly on his tongue but he knows that the reason why Woohyun is here tonight is actually because they’re going to find out whose otp is real once and for all. 

Sunggyu sincerely hopes that Myungsoo and Sungjong have asked each other out as prom dates.  He’s tried to eavesdrop over the gossip of prom this year but he hadn’t heard anything about Myungsoo, Sungjong, or even Sungyeol.

“Hey, you okay?” Woohyun suddenly asks him and Sunggyu hadn’t even realized that the other teacher he was talking to left. 

“Yeah, sorry.  Trying not to think about the past I guess,” he answers honestly.  Woohyun knows the story, he’s probably one of the few people who do but he doesn’t regret it when Woohyun takes his hand as a gentle condolence.  “I’m sorry.” 

Sunggyu manages to conjure a smile, “it’s okay.”

They spend a moment watching the kids dance to something that is not G rated because technically, they’re supposed to be on the lookout for open condoms and zipped pants.  Sunggyu hates this generation so much right now.  “Talk to anyone you like yet?” Sunggyu asks over the music.

“Yes”

Sunggyu turns his head surprised but Woohyun is looking at him with the same look he had in his eyes when they were in his room.  Why can’t be breathe again? 

“Who?” he asks but a group of new arrivals catch his attention and Sunggyu pushes Woohyun aside.  “Woohyun they’re here!” he says pointing over to Myungsoo and Sungjong.  He’s about to smile when Myungsoo takes Sungyeol’s hand and leads him to the dance floor.  It’s then that Sunggyu notices the same colored ties and boutonniere.  Myungsoo is Sungyeol’s prom date.  Myungsoo and Sungyeol are dating.  Sungjong…

Sungjong is wearing a yellow tie, smiling happily with another boy who Sunggyu doesn’t recognize and he feels sick.  A slow song begins to play and Sungyeol puts his hands on Myungsoo’s waist, dancing to the serenading melody while Sungjong stands off to the side with other friends and this is so completely wrong.

“No…this can’t be right.  Myungsoo and Sungjong were dating….They have to be!”  Sunggyu can feel his chest heaving and when he turns to Woohyun, Woohyun is simply watching him.  There isn’t a victorious smile or fist pump in the air and somehow it makes Sunggyu feel even worse because that’s how Woohyun should be reacting right now. 

“Why can’t it be right?  What’s so wrong about Sungyeol that they can’t date?”

“Because!” Sunggyu shouts, his mind frantically running over all the possibilities for how this could have happened.  “Myungsoo protects Sungjong! Not Sungyeol.  He and Sungyeol are supposed to be friends.  Nothing more!  They can’t be!” He closes his eyes and shakes his head.  “No, this isn’t right.  Sungjong loves Myungsoo.  Myungsoo’s been so good to him.  He can’t be in love with someone else.  He was supposed to be perfect for Sungjong.”

“But he’s not,” Woohyun says and Sunggyu opens his eyes shocked.  “I told you that there was something special between Sungyeol and Myungsoo.  There always has been and even if Sungjong loves Myungsoo, he couldn’t do anything about it.  They were already meant to be to begin with.”

Woohyun reaches for Sunggyu’s arm but Sunggyu flinches back, “No.  You’re wrong.  Best friends can’t fall in love with each other like that.  They can’t!”

The emotions that transpire on Woohyun’s face vary from pained to angry and Sunggyu instantly regrets what he said when Woohyun stares back at him with narrow, emotionless eyes.  “I guess you’re right then.”

“Woohyun I..”

“No.  I get it.  Trust me, I heard you loud and clear,” he laughs but there’s no humor or comfort in the sound.  It’s dull and it makes Sunggyu’s heart hurt more. 

“Goodbye Sunggyu.”  He’s gone before Sunggyu can reach for him, leaving him alone in the back of the room where everyone else stands oblivious to the fight that just transpired between them.  It feels so cold, as if winter isn’t over yet and Sunggyu doesn’t know if he’s shivering because of the temperature or if it’s because he knows he messed up.  He always seems to mess up when it matters most.

 

-

 

It’s prom night and Sunggyu never thought he’d be looking forward to it as much as he is tonight.  He’d always known that he’d have to go.  He’s the senior class president.  He helped set this whole event up! But tonight he’s excited because he’s planned to confess to Howon.  Sunggyu smiles to himself, and he probably looks creepy because he’s mixing the punch bowl for the party but he’s so happy he can’t help it.  He’s finally graduating next month and he never would have thought he’d love high school. 

Especially after all of the bullying he suffered his freshman and sophomore year, everything changed when he met Howon.  Howon was the one who saved him.  He was the one who introduced him to Dongwoo and all of his future best friends after that.  If it weren’t for Howon, he would have never had the high school experience he had; spending weekends with friends, going out to games, and experiencing the moment when Hoya became Howon. 

He’d been too scared to ask Howon to be his prom date.  Instead, the topic of prom remained a hushed topic between them and that was fine.  Howon knew Sunggyu had to set up anyways so he figured he would see him when the time came.  However, that didn’t stop Sunggyu from dropping money on a tux which he made sure looked good on him.  It’s a normal black and white suit but he put on a dark violet tie because he knows that that is Howon’s favorite color.  He can only hope that it will look as good on him as it does on Howon but he thinks so.  Sunggyu spent at least an hour styling his hair today and he even ventured to add some eyeliner to his eyes, something he only ever does when he’s trying to impress someone. 

When Sunggyu gave himself a final glance in the mirror, his heart swelled in his chest because for the first time, Sunggyu could see a handsome young man looking back at him.  He looked strong, confident, and charming; all of the things he wanted to be that he wouldn’t have become without Howon.  He has so much to tell him.  So much to thank him for but tonight he finally can because tonight Howon will finally be his. 

The prom starts before he’s ready.  He can only smile as he greets his fellow classmates, hoping that he won’t lose his voice when it matters most.  He gets so absorbed into his other classmates that when someone calls for Howon, Sunggyu’s heart almost literally leaps in his chest.  He turns around, looking for his friend when he spots him and Dongwoo standing in the room, hand in hand.  Suddenly, it feels as if the room is spinning and Sunggyu has to put his hand on the wall to stable himself.  He thinks someone asked him if he’s okay but all he can comprehend is how magnificent Howon looks, hair impeccably combed, his tux probably more expensive than his house’s mortgage, and the royal blue tie that matches with Dongwoo’s next to him. 

What hurts more is that whereas Sunggyu’s legs feel like jelly, deep down Sunggyu isn’t as surprised as he wants to feel right now.  He’s spent over three years now with Dongwoo and Howon.  He’s seen how they interact.  They’re childhood best friends.  There probably isn’t anyone who knows Howon as well as Dongwoo does and it feels like a lost battle before it even begun, no matter how much Sunggyu tried to ignore it.  The silent exchanges, the subtle touches, the soft smiles.  It makes so much sense that Howon’s in love with Dongwoo that it hurts.  He doesn’t think anything can hurt more until Howon comes up to him with a solemn smile.

“Hey…” Howon says and that’s all it takes for a tear to fall from Sunggyu’s eye.  He hates his body so much for betraying him like this, when he should be smiling and pretending that he’s okay.  However, it’d probably be no use anyways since Howon knows him too well.  He has a hand to his face and he can feel Howon’s gentle touch on his sleeve, the only comfort he can offer.

“I.I’m sorry I…” Sunggyu breathes out, trying to control his emotions but he’s not doing a very good job at it. 

“I know Sunggyu.  I just want you to know that I’m really sorry for hurting you.  I didn’t want to but…”  Howon sighs and Sunggyu hates how upset Howon looks.  Like he genuinely cares about Sunggyu’s feelings but he got in the way of his and Dongwoo’s happiness. 

“Did you know all along?  That I…” Sunggyu can’t bring himself to say it out loud.  He doesn’t need to though because Howon nods and Sunggyu feels like such an idiot. 

“I’m really sorry Sunggyu.  I wanted to love you.  I really did…”

“But you love Dongwoo,” Sunggyu finishes for him and Howon nods silently. 

Sunggyu wants to stop crying.  He wants to run away and disappear from all of these people who probably know exactly what is happening right now.  He can see Dongwoo standing a little away, looking just as sad as Howon does and it feels so wrong.  This whole scenario is not how he wanted tonight to go at all.  He wanted to be the one standing next to Howon, hand and hand, and he wanted to finally be able to kiss his first love.  He can’t even do that. 

Instead Sunggyu wipes his face and lets a smile form on his lips that probably won’t reach his eyes but it’s the best he can do.  He places a hand on Howon’s shoulder and he nods.  “It’s okay Howon.  This isn’t your fault and I understand.  I…”  his voice is cracking, ready to give out at any moment but he forces the words that will pierce his heart anyways,  “I want you to be happy.  I wish you and Dongwoo the best.” 

Sunggyu never thought he’d be strong enough to say something like that but he does mean it.  As long as Howon is happy, then Sunggyu should be happy and if Dongwoo is going to do that then Sunggyu should let that happen.  Howon looks so relieved and he doesn’t hesitate to take Sunggyu’s hand in both of his. 

“Thank you Sunggyu…Thank you so much,” he says and that is it.  Howon goes back to his best friend, the man he loves, and Sunggyu slips away when he thinks no one will notice…or at least Howon doesn’t notice.  In that moment, Sunggyu truly thinks his heart will never recover.

 

-

 

Sunggyu stares out the window from his desk.  Class ended an hour ago but that doesn’t stop Sunggyu from waiting, hoping that Woohyun will come in at any moment ready to go home together.  It’s been almost week since prom and Sunggyu’s had no luck with running into Woohyun.  Sunggyu’s tried everything, leaving early and leaving late in order to catch Woohyun on the way to work but somehow he’s yet to catch him and no matter how many times Sunggyu knocks on the door, there’s no answer.  It leaves him concerned, leaving voicemail after voicemail begging Woohyun to talk to him but it’s done no good.  It wasn’t until yesterday that Sunggyu realized that Woohyun hasn’t even been home.  He’s been staying at another gym instructor’s apartment instead and he found that out from a teacher who couldn’t keep shut, blabbing about Woohyun’s love life.

“Did you know that Woohyun is gay?  I guess it explains why he never pays attention to us but get this!  He’s actually sleeping with one of the other gym instructors!”

“What! Really?”

“Yes! I saw him this morning.  I live in the same complex and I saw them walking out together.  I even took pictures,” She takes the pictures out of her purse but before she can show them off Sunggyu’s snatching them out of her hand and ripping them up. 

“Leave Woohyun alone,” Sunggyu says and his tone of voice had probably been too harsh because she shrunk back in her seat terrified.  At least he knows where Woohyun is now but the woman’s words keep running through his head and he hates this.  Is Woohyun really sleeping with another teacher?  Woohyun always said that he didn’t like anyone…Didn’t he?

Sunggyu nuzzles his head into the crook of his arm on his desk and he wants to cry.  He hasn’t cried since his heartbreak over Howon but now Woohyun isn’t talking to him and tears are threatening to spill.  Did Woohyun really mean this much to him?  He can’t deny the sudden emptiness he feels without Woohyun there.  Woohyun had become such a big part of his life.  They went to work together, went home together, ate dinner and spent weekends either out or at home together.  He can’t even remember the last time he did something that didn’t involve Woohyun and that revelation terrifies him.

He remembers when they were on the couch, when Woohyun held his gaze and made his heart pound violently in his chest.  He remembers the gym and how sincere Woohyun’s smile had been towards him at that time.  He also remembers when he called Woohyun blind and Woohyun questioned that with a look Sunggyu had no idea how to decipher.  Or when Woohyun ed his shirt and let his hands linger there for just a moment too long.  At that time, Woohyun’s eyes had searched for something in his and he had looked back.  Heart in his throat and voice gone, Sunggyu wanted to kiss him. 

He wanted to kiss Woohyun. 

Sunggyu raises his head, eyes puffy but his heart is racing. 

“Talk to anyone you like yet?”

“Yes”

“Who?”

”You” Sunggyu says out loud, the words pounding in his head.  Woohyun likes him.  Woohyun is his best friend and Woohyun likes him.

“Best friends can’t fall in love with each other like that!”  Those words immediately run through his head and they have been repeating over and over for the past week because he knows that is what caused this.  It’s so ironic, because best friends falling in love with each other is what broke Sunggyu’s heart in the first place and although he fought so against it, he ended up falling in love with his best friend himself.  Sunggyu doesn’t just like Woohyun.  He loves him and he’s screwed it up, possibly permanently.

He’s about to get up, try to figure out what the hell he’s going to do now when the classroom door opens and Sunggyu’s head shoots to the door.  It’s not Woohyun and the adrenaline rush seeps away as quickly as it came but someone he wasn’t expecting is standing there.

“Sungjong?  Why aren’t you home? Is there something wrong?” he asks running a hand through his hair, trying to act like he totally wasn’t about to have a break down at his desk a few minutes ago.  However, Sungjong just sits on one of the desks in front of him.

“Can I be honest Mr. Kim?”

Sunggyu has no idea what Sungjong would tell him but he nods, waiting to hear what he has to say.

“It’s really frustrating watching you and Mr. Nam together.  You two were so close but now it’s almost ice cold and I know you like Woohyun.”

Sunggyu’s speechless.  Was his feelings for Woohyun so obvious that even his students noticed it while he didn’t? 

“It was obvious to me because I pay attention to you two,” Sungjong seems to have read his mind.  “When you came to gym, you looked at him almost the entire time.  Even when he judged our presentations you paid more attention to him than you did to us.  Not to mention the fact that you two meet up every day after class.  Honestly, I don’t know how it wouldn’t be obvious,” Sungjong explains and although it doesn’t make him feel any better, he does have a point. 

“Is this what you came to talk to me about Sungjong?” he asks because even if he’s right, Sungjong is still his student and he’s under no inclination to talk about his personal life to him but Sungjong ignores him.

“No.  Look, I don’t know what happened between you and Mr. Nam but he also likes you a lot.  He’s even more obvious than you,” Sungjong says with a grimace that makes Sunggyu smile because there’s probably some truth to that statement.  “I just wanted to say that I don’t think there’s any reason why you two should be moping around.  Gym hasn’t been nearly as fun and I don’t even know what we learned this week in class.  So whatever it is that’s wrong, you two should fix it because he’s in the locker room right now looking just like you.”

“Really?” Sunggyu slips out and it’s completely embarrassing showing his emotions so easily to a student.  However, Sungjong laughs and gives him a satisfied nod.  “Yes.  So please, don’t make all my effort go to waste.”

“Okay, thank you Sungjong.”  He honestly can’t believe he’s getting help from the person he obsessed over with Myungsoo for the entire school year.   A part of him feels guilty for pinning Sungjong as the reason for their fight but Sungjong never seemed upset that night.  He also had a prom date and even though it wasn’t Myungsoo, it was someone who had him smiling most of the night so maybe Sungjong’s found someone for himself after all.  Sungjong’s just about to leave when Sunggyu stops him at the door.

“Wait I still have one question for you.”

Sungjong stops and looks at him almost hesitantly, as if he already knows what he’s going to ask which makes Sunggyu even more nervous before asking it.  “Why did you pay attention to Mr. Nam and I?”

The expression on his face is an answer itself.  Sungjong’s face turns a scarlet red, his eyes shifting to the side or anywhere that isn’t at Sunggyu.  “I…Um….might have shipped you two together…” 

Sunggyu might need medical attention because his jaw is on the floor but Sungjong doesn’t any waste time making his getaway before Sunggyu can stop him.  He supposes he shouldn’t anyway.  After all, they’ll be even now…even if Sunggyu is having a mini panic attack because one of his students ships him with Woohyun.  He only hopes that this pairing will actually work out.

 

-

 

It isn’t until Sunggyu’s at the locker room that he realizes that he hadn’t even thought of what he’s going to say.  It makes him hesitate outside the entrance with forced breaths.  What will he do if Woohyun doesn’t forgive him?  What will he do if he does?  Sunggyu closes his eyes and rubs his eye.  Acting like this isn’t going to help him and he’s wasting time.  He just prays that whatever does come out of his mouth, it comes out right. 

Tentatively he forces himself into the room, rounding the corner to the teacher’s desk that sits near the entrance.  Actually, it’s more of a table than a desk but just as Sungjong had said, Woohyun is sitting there with his elbows on the desk and his head in his hands.  Sunggyu can’t see his face but he can see the stiffness in his shoulders and it makes him wonder how long he’s been in that position because Sungjong was right.  He looks just as upset as Sunggyu feels right now and that realization gives him a little bit of hope.

He stands directly in front of him but Woohyun doesn’t seem to notice his presence at all.  Therefore Sunggyu coughs and Woohyun’s head shoots up, eyes wide with surprise before the expression falls.  “Sunggyu.  You shouldn’t be in here unless you’re an instructor.”

“But school is over.”  

Sunggyu wants to say “but I’m your best friend” but Woohyun’s already frowning at him.  “Doesn’t matter.  Rules are rules.  Get out.”

Woohyun isn’t even looking at him anymore.  He’s looking down at whatever papers are in front of him but he looks up again and the glare he sends is fierce.  “What are you still doing here?  I told you to leave!”

Sunggyu’s legs feel like lead and Woohyun huffs before he’s standing up and rounding the table to grab his wrist.  The grip is strong and the next thing Sunggyu knows, Woohyun is pulling him to the door.  He’s just about to push him out when Sunggyu regains his senses and pulls back.  “No please!  I just want to talk.”  It comes out rushed but Woohyun’s still pulling against him. 

“We don’t need to talk.  I already heard you the last time.”

Woohyun’s grip hurts but Sunggyu’s desperate.  “Woohyun please,” he begs grabbing on and clinging to the arm that’s dragging him out.  He feels like a kid and it’s humiliating but it at least gets Woohyun to stop, even if he’s looking at him bewildered.  “Are you really going to act like this?”

“I can’t lose you!”

There’s a moment of silence and Woohyun looks more tired than angry at this point.  However, his gaze drops to his wrist and he sighs before loosening his hold.  “You aren’t going to lose me Sunggyu.  I just…I need some time.”

The pain that had flashed in Woohyun’s eyes the night of the fight is there again but this time it doesn’t go away and Sunggyu can see how much he hurt him.  However, Woohyun doesn’t look away and he knows it’s because he is giving Sunggyu a chance.  A chance to fix this and prove him wrong.

“I’m sorry for what I said.  The reason why I said what I did is because…” Sunggyu closes his eyes and takes a deep breath.  He’s so scared but there’s a thumb that brushes over his skin where Woohyun’s holding his wrist and Sunggyu opens to immediately meet Woohyun’s.  Maybe it’s because this is what Sunggyu wants to see but Woohyun’s looking at him like it’s okay, that he can say whatever he needs to say because Woohyun’s his friend and he won’t judge him.  And it’s true.  If there’s anyone who is going to understand, it’s going to be Woohyun and Sunggyu trusts him.  He swallows before starting again.

“I said it because I was still hurt.  Sungjong reminded me so much of myself.  Even his relationship with Myungsoo was similar to what I had with Howon and I didn’t want to see him get hurt like I did.  Back then I loved Howon so much that I couldn’t see that he loved someone else and last week everything was too similar to that night.”  His mind instantly goes back to the matching ties and the way Howon had held Dongwoo’s hand so confidently.  Myungsoo had held Sungyeol’s hand the same way.  “It hurt so much, you know?  Even if Howon already had given his heart to someone else, how could I not fall for him?  He looked at me when no one else did.  How could I not love him?”

There’s tears in his eyes and Woohyun’s reaching for them but Sunggyu shakes his head.  Woohyun needs to see this.  He needs to be honest.  “I thought I had gotten over it but I was still angry.  I didn’t understand why what they had was more special than me for a long time.  Actually, I don’t think it was until recently that I finally understood why Dongwoo won Hoya’s heart.”

Sunggyu remembers the way Howon would look at him.   There would always be such sincerity in his eyes that it made Sunggyu feel thankful.  However, that was it.  Howon was such a huge part of his life but somehow Sunggyu couldn’t fit himself into the cracks of Howon’s life like Dongwoo could.  Yes, Howon could make a place for Sunggyu, watch over him, and keep him by his side but ultimately Dongwoo had fit into that place naturally.  He could try to fit too but it wasn’t the same, no matter how hard he tried to make it be.  Because Sunggyu wasn’t perfect for Howon.  Dongwoo was. 

“You were right.  Compared to Sungyeol, there was something missing between Sungjong and Myungsoo.  I realized that at prom and I denied it but what I said was wrong.  There shouldn’t be any reason why best friends can’t date.  It’s actually reassuring if you fall in love with your best friend because it’s sweet and comfortable and it’s kind of everything I always wanted.  You’re more than just friends but now you have a basis and it feels incredible.  I understand that now because I know how Myungsoo and Sungyeol feel.”

The grip on his wrist is tightening again but this time Woohyun isn’t pulling him away.  He’s pulling him closer and Sunggyu lets him.  “What do you mean?” he asks, his eyes searching his for an answer but Sunggyu smiles because he doesn’t feel nervous anymore.  This feels natural, like this is exactly how it’s supposed to be.   “I mean I fell in love with my best friend too.”

“About damn time,” Woohyun mutters before he’s lunging for Sunggyu’s lips.  Sunggyu would defend himself against that statement but when Woohyun kisses him, he can’t help but agree because it did take too damn long for him feel Woohyun’s lips against his own.  Because Woohyun did a kind of lunge and pull thing with his wrist, they end up stumbling back against the lockers and Sunggyu can feel a lock digging into his back but he wouldn’t have it any other way.  He finally has his arms around Woohyun’s neck and Woohyun’s arms are around his waist, holding him just as close.

When they’re forced to part for air, Sunggyu feels as if his cheeks are on fire but Woohyun looks similar and Sunggyu takes the opportunity to let his hands fall to his chest.  “So does this mean you forgive me?”  He tries to make puppy dog eyes of some sort because honestly, he just wants everything to be okay again and he wants to go back to kissing.  Woohyun seems to find this humorous however because he’s laughing at him.  “Stop it before you hurt your eyes.  Yes I forgive you.”

He sighs because he’s so relieved and Woohyun presses his forehead against his.  Besides the sound of their breathing, it’s quiet in the room and Woohyun dips his head down to kiss him again.  This time the kiss they share is much slower and Sunggyu appreciates this kind of kissing more because there’s no rush.  He’s basking in the feel of Woohyun.  Because Woohyun is super attractive and Sunggyu managed to get his heart.  Because Sunggyu really really likes Woohyun.  He can feel Woohyun pulling away but Sunggyu tilts his head and makes the kiss deeper, even venturing to open his mouth and let Woohyun’s tongue slip inside to roll around his own.  It works for a while until Woohyun is retreating again and Sunggyu frowns when he leans forward only to kiss smiling lips instead.  “Hold on!  I haven’t even told you my feelings yet.”

“Later,” Sunggyu mumbles, grabbing onto Woohyun’s shirt and forcing his lips back on his.  He’s satisfied when Woohyun hums and kisses him back eagerly but it’s still too short.  “You really don’t want to hear how I feel about you?” he asks when he pulls away again and Sunggyu sighs.  However, Woohyun’s reaching up to cup a hand around his face and Sunggyu holds his breath because Woohyun is looking at him with so much love and affection that Sunggyu knows no one else has looked at him like this before. 

“I’m crazy about you…I love you too.  I always have,”

It’s so cheesy and embarrassing that Sunggyu doesn’t know how Woohyun could say it with a straight face but it also doesn’t stop Sunggyu from smiling.  “Are you done now?” he teases because he knows that if he gives Woohyun the chance, he will say more but Woohyun nods, content for now. 

“Good,” he says before they’re kissing again and this time, Sunggyu doesn’t remember when they pulled away.

 

-

 

Sunggyu learns that dating your best friend isn’t perfect.  There are still arguments and they fight.  Yet, Sunggyu’s probably never been happier and he doesn’t regret dating Woohyun at all.  Some things changed.  Woohyun moved in because after an entire month of Woohyun practically living in Sunggyu’s apartment, it was pretty obvious that there was no reason for them to be paying separate rents anymore.  But other than that, a lot hasn’t changed.  For instance, Sunggyu still sits on the couch and reads manga every day.  The only difference is that, like right now, Woohyun will come over and join him until they end up making out with the book forgotten on the floor.  Sunggyu’s in complete bliss because he gets to lay down while Woohyun holds himself over him.  Their kisses tend to be languid and Sunggyu grips his arms, “innocently” squeezing the expanse of muscle strained from holding that position for some time now. 

Sunggyu looks up confused when Woohyun pulls away with a playing smile on his lips.  “Your arm is so cute.” 

Sunggyu’s appalled and he doesn’t hesitate to punch him in the arm, proud of his strength when Woohyun hisses and holds his arm looking like a wounded puppy.  “I do not have an arm ,” Sunggyu defends but his mouth feels dry when Woohyun suddenly takes off his shirt. 

“Oh really?” he asks, purposefully flexing in front of him and it should look retarded but Woohyun’s arms are so big that it has Sunggyu staring instead.  Of course, he doesn’t realize that he’s staring until Woohyun’s laughing at him again.  “I hate you.”

Woohyun falls forward, his nose barely brushing past Sunggyu’s.  “Do you really hate me?”  His tone is low and it’s really not fair because Woohyun is shirtless and he’s way too close like he always is. 

“I…like you,” Sunggyu swallows as Woohyun skips past his lips to move down further to his neck.  There’s a warm breath until he feels a tongue run across his throat and it has Sunggyu’s skin on fire.  “You only like me?”  His teeth grazes at the skin and Sunggyu whines.

“I love you! Like you! Whatever!  Just kiss me.” 

Woohyun’s quick to oblige which Sunggyu’s thankful for although he lost this round, it’s okay because as crazy as Sunggyu is about Woohyun, Woohyun might be even crazier and Sunggyu will get him back.  However, right now Woohyun’s lips suddenly leaves Sunggyu’s before pressing down and pulling back up again.  “Or do you want this?” he asks when Sunggyu realizes that Woohyun’s literally doing pushups on top of him right now and coming down for a kiss each time.  “I hate you!” he yells again but Woohyun merely lets his weight fall on top of him and nuzzles his head into the crook of his neck, his arms successfully s around his waist.  “I love you too.”

Summer started two months ago and they’ll have to go back to school in two weeks.  However, this has probably been his favorite summer yet, which is kind of sad to say considering that he’s practically done nothing but lounge on the couch with Woohyun.  However, he loves every single moment and he’s going to miss the freedom.  The sound of a doorbell is what stirs them from the moment and Woohyun looks up excitedly.  “I bet that’s our neighbors!!”  He gets up and almost answers the door before Sunggyu reminds him that he’s shirtless.  Therefore Woohyun’s scrambling back to the couch to put on his shirt while Sunggyu gets up to answer the door instead.

As Woohyun had predicted, their neighbors are standing outside their door with shy smiles on their faces.  “Hey Hyung! Do you have any milk? We ran out and we’re trying to make cookies.”

“You mean you haven’t gone grocery shopping in a month,” Sunggyu corrects him which has the tanner guy smiling sheepishly. 

“How much you need?”

“Why are you being stingy? Just give them the jug,” Woohyun says coming up before exchanging high fives and hellos with them. 

“Fine but don’t complain to me when you want milk and we don’t have any.”

Their new neighbors are two college students who moved into Woohyun’s old place about a month ago.  They’re actually sweet kids, dance majors who spend more time outside of their apartment than at home but they get along well.  Woohyun’s formed a sort of bond with them because he told them to look under the bed for some ography he left there.  Woohyun was kidding of course…but then again sometimes the smiles exchanged between them reminds Sunggyu that he needs to double check on this. 

“Here you go,” Sunggyu comes back handing them the jug which the blonde haired one takes it happily.  “Thanks Hyung!”  This time there’s figure standing behind them and Sunggyu raises an eyebrow before they turn around and scream at their friend who is standing there innocently. 

“God damn it Kyungsoo you need to stop doing that,” Taemin yells but Kyungsoo looks at him with wide eyes.  “I didn’t do anything.  You guys are the ones harassing your neighbors for milk.” 

“But you’re the one who asked for it!” Jongin cries back with his hand still on his chest.  Kyungsoo holds out his hand.

“Yes and I gave you money to go buy it.  Not for you to get it from your neighbors.  Now give it back,” he says.  Jongin looks sad when he reaches into his pocket and hands back what was probably three dollars but Kyungsoo is smiling so gently at him that Sunggyu wishes Jongin was looking up instead of at the ground so he’d see it.  “I’m sorry for bothering you,” Jongin apologizes with a bow and Sunggyu laughs because Jongin looks so embarrassed, “It’s fine.  Take the milk and go have fun.”

“Thanks hyung!” Jongin bows again before Kyungsoo’s threatening to put him in a headlock with Taemin’s enthusiastic approval. 

“And don’t forget to bring some cookies over when you’re done!” Woohyun shouts before Sunggyu pulls him back and closes the door.  Sunggyu always seems to feel happier after they see their neighbors.  The way that Kyungsoo and Jongin interact makes him wonder if he and Woohyun act the same way.  He hopes so because Kaisoo is utterly perfect, adorable, and if they aren’t real then he doesn’t know what is.  He reaches for Woohyun and skits his hands along his shirt before he’s kissing him again contently. 

“Are you that happy to give our neighbors milk?” Woohyun laughs when Sunggyu pulls back to go back to the couch and read his manga but Sunggyu shakes his head. 

“No.  I just think it’s great that Kyungsoo and Jongin are so close.  I hope they don’t wait around to start dating soon.”  He settles down on the couch, happily content with his book until Woohyun’s putting it down and Sunggyu’s looking at a frowning figure on the couch.

“Oh no…” Sunggyu says before Woohyun can even speak.

“I think you’re wrong about Kyungsoo and Jongin.”

“No!!!!!” Sunggyu immediately yells, throwing his book at Woohyun’s face which he dodges before Sunggyu throws a pillow that doesn’t miss. 

“Listen to me!  Haven’t you seen the way Taemin and Jongin look at each other?  They’re roommates for s sake.  They’re literally perfect for each other!  Taekai!!”  Woohyun screams when Sunggyu picks up the remote and throws it at him. 

So maybe Woohyun’s perfect for Sunggyu and Sunggyu is perfect for him.  However, Woohyun’s taste in otps still need a lot of work because even if Sunggyu was wrong last time, he has no doubt in his mind that he’s right about his otp this time  Because it’s Kaisoo and no one is a more perfect couple than them. 

Sunggyu chases Woohyun around the apartment until he slips on a rug and falls to the ground, banging his knee against the table in the process.  There’s an immediate pain that shoots down his leg but it’s not long at all until there’s arms scooping him up from off the floor and a worried face looking at him, asking if he’s okay.  Then he’s being carried to the bathroom and set on the counter with such care that Sunggyu’s speechless.  He watches Woohyun tenderly wash his knee, cleaning the blood off before applying ointment and bandaging him up.  However, when he looks up to check on him, Sunggyu’s already wrapping arms around his neck kissing him, fitting perfectly into Woohyun’s arms.

Woohyun’s crazy and Sunggyu still has a lot to work on himself but above all things, it’s this moment that Sunggyu realizes that maybe Woogyu is the ultimate otp of all.