For minah-aff

Infinite Secret Santa 2014
For minah-aff
From Secret Santa
Prompt: Hoya is jealous.
Pairing: Hojongáá
 
Anya
 
Sungjong shook his head, cursing lightly as he struggled to see. Even with the windshield wipers on, the rain was messing up his visibility so much that he could barely see the road. The sky was dark and stormy, so it didn’t add any light for him to see this evening.
 
Growling in frustration, he glanced over to the side of the road, where he had seen something move. Turning his attention to the side of the road, he pulled over carefully and parked his car. Sungjong pulled the hood up on his thin cotton jacket, hoping that it would offer at least SOME shelter from the storm. He winced as he stepped out of his car, looking around for whatever had moved a moment ago. He didn’t see anything for a while, and started to turn back to his car. When he had opened the door, he finally saw a small lump with shining eyes. Smiling to himself, he saw the kitten lift its head pitifully, pleading for shelter. Sungjong felt his heart jump in sympathy for the tiny cat, reaching down and picking the baby up off of the ground and rushing back to his car. Once they were in the safety of the vehicle, he grabbed a blanket from the back seat and began rubbing the kitten’s soaked fur to warm it up. Crooning to it, he heard it begin to purr in his arms, curling up. He smiled and gently placed the cold kitten on his lap and slowly drove home.
 
When he got to his apartment, Sungjong cuddled the kitten into his arms as he hurried to the door. Opening it, he noticed that his boyfriend, Hoya, wasn’t home yet.
 
 Frowning, he unwrapped the kitten and checked it over for injuries. He was happy when he didn’t see find any, but he DID find out that it was a female. He knew that Hoya would be happier about having a female cat than a male, since they were cleaner. Looking at her in the light, he could see that she was a grey tabby with large, inquisitive eyes. She was also very thin, and Sungjong could feel her ribs easily.  Sungjong couldn’t wait to tell his boyfriend about the new addition to their home.     
 
Sighing, he carried the kitten into the kitchen, looking for something to feed her. She looked to be around eight or ten weeks old, so she was old enough to eat solid food, so Sungjong hoped he could find something for her. He smiled when he found a can of tuna, popping it open. The kitten raised her head, meowing quietly at the sound of the can opening.
 
Setting her down on the kitchen floor, the young man plopped the tuna onto a saucer and placed it on a piece of cardboard. The kitten began eating immediately, and Sungjong guessed that she probably hadn’t eaten in at least one day. Shaking his head, he set a bowl of water down for her, also. Grabbing his backpack, he began to pull his books out to study for his classes. The kitten’s eyes drew to the backpack immediately, staring. When Sungjong tried to pick her up, she darted across the room and under the couch. She was obviously afraid of backpacks. He wondered if that was how the previous owners had dumped her. He felt anger shoot through his body at the thought of it. There were so many homeless animals, and it was usually from the owners dumping them off.
 
Picking the food and water back up, he carried them over to the couch and set it on the floor. He hoped that she would come back out. In the meantime, he put his backpack in the closet, since he didn’t want to frighten her again. He kept an eye on her as he opened his book, beginning his studies. He smiled when she finally emerged again, walking back over to the food carefully and warily. He knew that it would take time for her to trust him, but this was a good start.
 
Texting his boyfriend, he asked him to pick up some food, along with extra beef. Hoya was surprised about the beef, but Sungjong simply told him that he needed extra. It was a surprise. When Hoya began to open the door, Sungjong picked the kitten up, having a feeling that she might run off again when Hoya entered. He wanted to surprise him with her.
 
Hoya opened the door, grinning. He leaned in to kiss Sungjong, and noticed the bundle in his arms. “What’s that, Sungjong?” He set the food down, frowning at his boyfriend. “Where and why?” Sungjong was happy when he noticed the half-smile teasing the corners of Hoya’s mouth.
 
“Well…I found her freezing and soaked on the side of the road. I couldn’t just leave her there, you know?” Sungjong smiled cutely, trying to sway Hoya to his side. “She’s sweet. Don’t worry…and I’ll take full responsibility for her, okay?”
 
Hoya laughed sharply, shaking his head again. “How did I KNOW you would drag some straggler in here, at some point. I do have to admit that she IS cute, so I guess we can figure out a way to keep her until we found out who she belongs to.”
 
Sungjong’s eyes flashed in anger again. “I think she was dumped out in the rain to die. You know how people are…She seems happy, though, as long as you don’t take a backpack around her.” He leaned in to kiss Hoya, still holding the kitten.
 
Hoya jumped back with a shriek as the kitten growled and slapped him in the face with her claws. She struggled out of Sungjong’s arms, running under the couch again. Hoya laughed in frustration, looking at his boyfriend. “Well, I don’t think it matters if I have my backpack or not. She hates me. I don’t know if this is going to work, babe.”
 
Sungjong rolled his eyes. “Come on, Hoya. She just got here, and she’s afraid. She’ll get used to you. Don’t worry,” he replied, kissing Hoya on the lips, setting the extra meat on the table. “Now let’s eat. I’m starving!”
 
They ate their dinner, talking about how each other’s days had gone. As they were eating, Sungjong noticed that the kitten had emerged again, climbing up onto the couch and curling up. He knew that there would be hope for her. He just hoped that Hoya would learn to tolerate her.
 
After dinner, he set up a temporary cat box in the restroom and closed her in. They could use the other restroom, and leave that one for her. When they went to bed, Hoya kissed Sungjong deeply, turning him on. After a moment of making out, Sungjong whined, holding up a finger. “I’m sorry, love. I’ll be back in a moment. The kitten’s crying, so I need to go see what’s up.”
 
Hoya rolled his eyes, running his hand down Sungjong’s arm. “Just leave her…” He kissed the younger man on the neck. “She’s fine.”
 
Sungjong sighed, shaking his head. “No, she’s not. I’m just going to go reassure her, then come back to you…and this,” he replied, winking at him. “I’ll be back.”
 
Kissing Hoya quickly, he grabbed his robe and walked down the stairs into the restroom. When he entered the restroom, he saw that the kitten was breathing hard, obviously afraid. Sungjong crooned to her, sitting down on the floor and picking her up. “Hey, little girl. I know that this world is scary, but you’ll be okay. Just try to go to sleep, okay? Hoya’s going to kill me if I stay here with you, but I don’t want you to be sad,” he stared at her, considering leaving her all alone again. “Come with me.”
 
Wincing at the impending consequences of his actions, he carried up the stairs and into their bedroom. Grinning at Hoya apologetically, he moved over to the bed with the kitten. “I’m sorry. She was scared…”
 
Hoya didn’t look amused as he stared at the little ball of fluff that had scratched him earlier. “Whatever. Just get in. I have to work in the morning, anyway. Goodnight, you two.” He shook his head, turning over.
 
Sungjong pulled the kitten up against his bare skin, kissing her lightly on the head. “He’ll warm up to you eventually. You’ll have to learn to be nice, too, though.”
 
*
 
For the next few days, Hoya avoided the kitten, and she hissed at him every time he was around. It didn’t seem to matter what he did. She didn’t like him, so he simply ignored her. She and Sungjong were happy together, so that was all they needed. They had each other.
 
This worked out okay, until one day Sungjong had to go to an all day presentation at school. As he was getting ready for it, he smiled at Hoya, staring.
 
Hoya frowned. “I know that look. No…Take her with you or something. She hates me. She’s probably murder me while you’re gone, so that I’m out of the way and the two of you can live your happy life together.”
 
“Please…” Sungjong stuck out his lower lip in a pout, trying to turn on as much aegyo as possible. “I can’t take Anya with me.”
 
“Anya,” Hoya repeated the name, shaking his head and throwing his hands up. He rolled his eyes when the action caused Anya to shrink into Sungjong’s arms. “Fine…I’ll do it. You’ll owe me, though.”
 
“Thank you, love,” Sungjong held Anya away from his boyfriend as he kissed him quickly. “You’ll become friends. Don’t worry. Thank you, again. See you later!” He set the kitten down and left the house, making sure that Anya didn’t see his backpack.
 
Hoya stared at her, glaring at her when she hissed at him again, running under the couch. She was going to take up all of Sungjong’s extra time, and Hoya couldn’t deny that he was jealous of her. She was stealing him.” He began cleaning the house, being careful to not turn on the vacuum. He smiled when he noticed Anya walk out and watch him. He had an idea. Crooning to the kitten, he walked over to her carefully. He smiled when she met him, still staring at him warily.
 
Hoya picked her up and carried her over to his neighbor’s house and knocking on the door. His friend, Dongwoo, opened the door almost immediately, grinning. “Hi, Hoya! How are you?” He glanced down into Hoya’s hands. “Aww! How cute! Where’d you get her?” He reached out and her gently on the head. Hoya noticed that she didn’t hiss at Dongwoo, which made him feel as if he was the only one she had a problem with.
 
“Here,” he said, shoving her into his friend’s arms. “Will you please keep her for the evening? She is seriously cutting into personal time, and…well, you understand, don’t you?” He grinned at his friend, pleading. “Please.”
 
Dongwoo laughed. “Okay. I’ll watch her. What’s her name?”
 
“Uh…” Hoya squinted at him, trying to remember it. “Anya. Thank you! I’ll pay you for it. I’ll be back in a while.”
 
He returned home, glad to have the attention thief out of his house. Now he would have Sungjong to himself. When his boyfriend returned home, Hoya kissed him on the lips. “How was your presentation?”
 
Sungjong smiled at him, kissing him back. “It went well. Thank you for watching Anya. I really appreciate it.”
 
Hoya laughed, irritated that Sungjong would ask about the cat so quickly. “You’re welcome. About that…I took her over to Dongwoo’s so that we could have some time alone. She’s stealing it all,” he knew that he was coming across as being whiny, but didn’t really care. He wanted more attention.
 
Sungjong’s eyes widened with worry and he cursed loudly. “Hoya, I asked YOU to watch her, not to take her over to Dongwoo’s house. Just great…” He set his backpack down with a loud sigh, beginning to walk over to the door.
 
“Wait. What are you doing?” Hoya knew that Sungjong was going to go get the kitten, but he wanted to hear it, anyway.
 
“I’m bringing her back here. She’s not familiar with Dongwoo or his house. Besides, animals can escape from his house. Did you even think about that, or were you even thinking at all?” He pulled out his phone and texted Dongwoo, asking him if Anya was still in the house. He got a reply soon after, with his friend telling him that he couldn’t find her. Sungjong glanced at Hoya, shaking his head. “He can’t find her. Thanks a lot!”
 
“I’m sorry, Sungjong. I’ll come with you,” Hoya pulled his coat on, grabbing the keys.
 
“Yeah, you will. You’re the one who lost her,” Sungjong stepped out into the cold air, leaving Hoya to lock the door to the house.
 
They arrived at Dongwoo’s house, and the other man looked very worried. “I don’t know where she could have gone. I’m sorry, Sungjong.”
 
“It’s okay,” Sungjong glared at Hoya. “It’s not YOUR fault. We’ll find her.” He began looking through the entire house, but didn’t see her anywhere.
 
“I’m going to go look outside,” Hoya mumbled, and Sungjong nodded sharply. Hoya left, determined to right this wrong that he had done. He looked around the back of the house, worried when he didn’t see her anywhere. He wanted to kick himself for creating this situation, all because of jealousy. He still didn’t see her anywhere, so he stopped and thought about where she could have gone.
 
As he was thinking, he saw Sungjong and Dongwoo walk out of the house with flashlights. That was a reminder that it would be dark soon, so they didn’t have very much time to find her. They walked down the alley, searching everywhere they could. Sungjong seemed to be stressed out about it, and that made Hoya feel even guiltier than he already was. He had been the one to get jealous and act selfishly, and now it may have cost Sungjong his kitten.
 
After searching the entire block, he turned to Sungjong. “I’m sorry I abandoned her. I just wanted some time with you, and she was taking it all.”
 
Sungjong stared at him, unsmiling. “Well, all you had to do was mention it and I would have made sure she was comfortable and given you all the attention you wanted. I guess I shouldn’t have flipped out on you, though. It’s not entirely your fault. She could have gotten out of our house, too. We just need to find her and go home.”
 
“Yeah. Then Anya and I can work on our relationship,” Hoya smiled at him, and Sungjong finally smiled back. “I’ll try not to get jealous again, okay?”
 
“Okay,” Sungjong still looked upset, but he touched Hoya lightly on the hand. “You know I love you, right? Idiot or not…”
 
“Yeah,” Hoya grinned at him. “I know,” he said, turning his head sharply as he noticed something little, furry and familiar huddled against the fence. “Is that her?” He whispered the question, pointing.
 
Sungjong nodded, grinning. “Yeah, that’s her. Come here, baby,” his tone changed to a sing-song one as he crept closer to his kitten. She meowed in uncertainty, but didn’t object as he picked her up and hugged her close. “Here. Start on getting over your jealousy now,” he said, handing her to Hoya.   
 
Hoya shook his head, grinning as she tried to get away from him. This was going to be a lot of work, but there was room for all three of them. They would make it work.
 
*
 
Two weeks passed, and Hoya became more comfortable with Anya. As his comfort level rose, he was happy to see that Anya did, too. While they were watching tv, with Sungjong snuggled up next to Hoya, he grinned when he felt the grey kitten climb onto his lap and curl up. She had finally accepted him, so there wasn’t a reason to be jealous now. Things would be okay.
 
The End