For IMeMyandMine

Infinite Secret Santa 2014
To IMeMyandMine
From Secret Santa
Prompt: "You're not much of a conversationalist, are you?"
             "I'll answer if you ask?"
Pairing: Donggyu

Sometimes You Just Have To Ask/Care

 
The scolding he suddenly receives is what arises Sunggyu from of his state of lost and deaf day dreaming and fixed stare at the middle point of his teacher's boring daily-lecture.
 
Apparently, in his near vegetive state and brain, he subconsciously tapped the worn and stained black eraser of his mechanical pencil against the tray of his wooden desk in a fast paced beat to the song constantly replaying in his thoughts. 
 
The girl who sat in front of him, who he can't recall her name, was open minded and feared not what others thought of her. In her air of confidence, she abruptly turned around and grabbed the edges of the desk with the slams of her palms echoing, knuckles turning white with the strength of her grip. She glared intensely into Sunggyu's eyes, attempting to establish fear in the male to make known her alpha state. Sunggyu could have sworn he watched her dark brown eyes curl into crimson slits. 
 
"Quit it," she hissed, venomous based spray threatening to seep through her straight teeth. If fear was her top priority, she definitely accomplished it and many more. 
 
Sunggyu quickly nodded and brought his hands along with the writing utensil to rest in his lap and remain there as long as the girl was facing him. Seeing as her work was done, she turned back around in her seat and settled into comfort. Sunggyu's hands immediately returned to their original spot, but ceased to tap the pencil in hand. 
 
Sunggyu sighed lightly, anxiety creeping up his spine as he did so, afraid the girl would turn back around and do worse. For example, inflict physical contact with a direct hit to thecranium. Her irritation and patience levels were close to zero. 
 
His eyes then wandered around the small room that smelled of aged books, aged paper, overall, aged everything. Even students that were long gone and graduated from the school. It was dull and dark, color missing except for the brand new posters that the teacher showcased on the walls, reminding everyone to "do their best!" There was a single chalk board that covered the whole wall, but hadn't been touched in ages, being replaced by a projector that was in need of a fixing. His teacher's monotone voice drawled on and on, sounding like a dull buzz in Sunggyu's tortured cranium. 
 
He was in class for the Language of Compositon, despite being a senior in status in a junior class. He was not the nicest, nor the smartest. He was never talented in his studies and as results read, he takes lower level courses in hopes of getting a high enough GPA to work at any other place than McDonalds. 
 
It was the fourth, hence the last quarter of the school year and Sunggyu was beyond scared. He was a childish teenager who still relied on his parents to buy him and his basketball friends their pizza when they come over to hang out after a game. He still copied off of others in class, even the freshman in his Algebra II class. After this event of school, he would have to try and discover a school that will accept a clueless, unintelligent being like him. He had to shape up soon if he wanted to fix his life. 
 
That day wasn't going to be today. 
 
Instead of listening to the teachings of his dinosaur of a teacher to do well for the day's lesson, he leaned back in his seat until his back was firmly pressed flat against the empty desk behind him in a stretch. He straightened back up and let his eyes wander once more. 
 
This time it was focused on the students. They had recently moved seats and he was always found to be placed in the front seat to guarantee attention from him, but that proved to be a failure once he failed his third quarter exam. He was now in the very back and was able to judge every student without them noticing. 
 
Sunggyu scoffed when he observed one girl who was very large in size and was somehow able to fit inside the small school desk. Her uniform looked too tight for comfort and Sunggyu almost burst out laughing when he noticed she was consuming chips from a small bag. 
 
Sunggyu continued to finish through his diminishing list of students. Each person, even though not expecting it, was observed with one characteristic trait of their being and judged to a hurtful extent with no intention of discovering. 
 
He was not the kindest person and was indeed a hateful one. 
 
Sunggyu mentally pouted as he noticed that there were only four people left to make fun of. He went through the first last three juniors, making sure so that whatever he said about them was the most hurtful and jaw dropping. Moving onto the very last, whom sat diagonally to his right, he desired to concoct the most horrendous words to describe him, but he couldn't find the heart to do it. 
 
The last victim of his actions was a male junior, of course. He was short from what Sunggyu could tell, or his poor posture just made him shorter than he really was. His uniform was tight on him, not due to the reason of being oversized, but instead due to the muscle mass accumulated at the boy's arms and torso. The jacket showed off the toned shape to his body well, as well as the pants which showed off a pair of heavily muscled thighs and calves. He wore a single gold cuff in the shape of a wing attaching to the middle of his ear. He sported his natural, straight, and jet black hair, which caught Sunggyu's attention majorly. Everyone in the room had dyed their hair to a different color due to the latest fashion trends. Even his own mane was red in name, but a bright orange in color. 
 
He couldn't tell much more from his angle except for the boy's hands, which were folded neatly on the desk in front of him, fingers overlapping the knuckles. Sunggyu could see each prominent, individual tendon from his seat as they were shadowed by the room's lighting, leading to the ten slim fingers. The nails were well cared for and free of dirt. Sunggyu admired that both thumbs and a collection of a few fingers were adorned with rings of multifarious types. 
 
Sunggyu then realizes, he has never seen this boy, nor heard him speak a word. Sunggyu was always seated in front, so knowledge of the boy was obscured and limited. 
 
In his moment of peering, he was suddenly smacked in the face by a thick object, the edges threatening to cut his fragile skin. When Sunggyu looked, it proved to be a stack of thick sheets of paper the girl in front of him was handing back. He took them without a word and rested his eyes once again on Dongwoo. 
 
"Hey," he whispered to the girl hesitantly. She turned around with a threateningly dangerous glare, but Sunggyu ignored her gaze to ask, "Who sits right there?" he pointed in the boy's direction, hoping she cared enough to know and answer. 
 
The girl looked and her eyes softened a bit when her focal point was on the student. She turned back to Sunggyu with an almost solemn expression. She leaned closer, maybe too close for comfort and whispered, "That's Jang Dongwoo. Why?" 
 
Sunggyu smiled at the name, liking how it flowed together nicely, "I have never seen the kid before." 
 
The girl nodded her head and added, "He's been here all year and is actually the highest scoring student in class. He could be taking a more advanced class, but he chose not to," she turned her head once more to look at Dongwoo to see him working immediately on his homework assignment with no need for the material provided. He had already memorized it all, "He's chronically shy."
 
So that's why he had never acknowledged the guy, "Really?" Sunggyu asked. 
 
The girl nodded her head and continued to add information, "I've known him since I was in primary school. He doesn't have any friends and would rather die than talk to someone," she sighed, while turning her head his direction, reminiscing about the days when she was as close as anyone could get to Dongwoo, their conversations reduced to a simple "Hello" and "How are you?" She was honestly the closest thing he ever had to a friend if not one. 
 
"Jieun! Sunggyu!" an aged voice interrupted. Both students turned to see their teacher delivering them a look that read irritation. He didn't need to say anything else for them to understand his wish for they immediately started on the assignment. 
 
Not so much Sunggyu since he had no idea what the assignment was talking about. So he looked up at Jang Dongwoo, admiring the way his hands moved along with the pencil gripped in his hand. He noticed how the younger held the pencil differently and it was no wonder why his hands were so slim. The way he held it had to burn thrice the amount of calories than anyone ever should by just writing. Considering you burn calories by writing...
 
Sunggyu needed a way to gain the male's attention and the perfect moment arrived when their teacher left the room to make an extra copy for a student who majorly screwed up theassignment. 
 
The very second when their teacher's leather heel lifted from the disgusting carpet out the door and disappeared, Sunggyu turned and spoke quietly, "Hey! Jang Dongwoo!" he was quiet still because this class was full of nerds who only worked on the assignment instead of take the opportunity to talk and socialize. 
 
The male didn't seem to hear his name being called even after the third time Sunggyu spoke it. So the senior's last resort was to throw his pencil at the poor junior. 
 
Sunggyu picked up his pencil and carefully aimed, making sure he didn't embed the lead point into the boy's light gray jacket. He finally tossed the utensil, the smooth plastic leaving his fingertips and gliding through the air to land against Dongwoo's shoulder and bounce back behind him. 
 
Dongwoo flinched against the contact and almost curled into a ball. Sunggyu mentally cheered when Dongwoo actually turned his head to pinpoint who threw the item at him and his light brown eyes landed right on Sunggyu. Instead of him saying a few words to tell the senior to not bother him anymore, he shrugged closer to his body and actually spoke, "I'm sorry," and then he stooped over and picked up the pencil, handing it back to Sunggyu. 
 
Sunggyu's brows furrowed in confusion all while reaching over to take the pencil back, "Sorry? I'm the one who threw it at you. Why are you apologizing?" while taking his pencil back, they accidentally touched fingertips. What is this? First grade? 
 
Dongwoo seemed uncomfortable all together with the contact and the speaking, so he cleared his throat before explaining, "I was in the way of your pencil. That's why." 
 
Even though the explanation was ridiculous enough, Sunggyu just marveled in the beauty of Dongwoo's voice. It was so terribly quiet and low that he needed to strain his ears in order to hear every spoken word. The quality of his voice though...
 
It was smooth and light, every syllable sounding like smooth honey to Sunggyu's ears. For a second he wondered if the boy had any talent in singing. The only problem being his pronunciation. The sound was clear and smooth, but his words jumbled together and were mispronounced. 
 
Dongwoo moved to turn back to his work and Sunggyu panicked, not accepting the movement, "Wait!" he exclaimed a bit louder than necessary. It was enough to catch both Dongwoo's and Jieun's attention and they both turned back around. 
 
Sunggyu nervously laughed and held his hand out, "I'm Kim Sunggyu. What's your name?" even though he already knew, he wanted to hear it from the boy himself. 
 
Dongwoo looked down to the hand and was reluctant on shaking it, but he eventually committed and accepted it, giving a firm shake. And let me tell you, Sunggyu never liked a handshake like his before! It was nice and firm and the boy's skin was so soft! 
 
"I'm Jang Dongwoo," he spoke quietly, immediately retrieving his hand when the handshake was done, "Nice to meet you," instead of further engaging into conversation, he grabbed his pencil and started working on his assignment packet again. 
 
Jieun looked back at Sunggyu and her expression was that of sadness, "I told you he was chronically shy. That's how every conversation goes with anyone he talks to." 
 
Sunggyu just rolled his eyes and spoke, "No, you are just not trying hard enough to get to him," Sunggyu himself was very social and had many friends, being a more popular individual in the school. 
 
"Dongwoo!" 
 
At the call of his name, the male turned around once more and hummed, too afraid to speak. He had no idea who this person was or what his intentions were. If he hadn't blocked out their conversation earlier he may have been able to find out. 
 
"You're not much of a conversationalist, are you?" he asked. He was impressed with his own vocabulary, hoping he was sounding smart to Dongwoo. He honestly didn't even know what the word meant, but it sounded correct to him. 
 
It took a few seconds for Dongwoo to answer, his eyes darting back and forth before he chose the right words to reply. He set his pencil down and lowered his head to hide his shy habits. He was face down when he finally spoke barely above a whisper, "I'll answer if you ask."
 
That surprised everyone who was listening, the limit being Jieun, Sunggyu, and Dongwoo himself. Jieun and Sunggyu exchanged looks while Dongwoo stared at the carpeted ground, particularly at a large stain under Sunggyu's feet. 
 
"What do you mean?" Jieun asked suddenly, hoping to get to Dongwoo. This was honestly the most she's ever heard him speak at once. 
 
Dongwoo looked up and recognized the face of the girl easily. He remembered her well from when they were young. She would hop up to him with her curled pigtails and dress and try to talk to him, but he always shied away. The only friend he ever had. But then, they grew up and never saw each other again, until this year, but Dongwoo was so shy he couldn't talk to her. 
 
Dongwoo sighed heavily, exhaling everything out of his lungs. He didn't want to talk and would rather be doing his assignment, but the world wasn't nice to him. So instead, he explained his character to the two.
 
"No one has ever really cared enough about me to ask me how I am, or how my day was. No one glances in my direction on sight of interest, but rather disgust as they see me as thenerd that sits in their class. Everyone only ever picks on me and makes fun of me and if only someone were to care enough to ask me something, I would answer confidently. I have a whole scene in my head how I'm going to do it." 
 
Poor Dongwoo. It tends to trend in timid and shy people for them to plan out ways that they will be able to interact with others. The perfect conversation for them not to be shy, but how often does that happen...
 
Sunggyu was moved by the junior's words as well as hurt. How can anyone pick on someone like Dongwoo? True, he did the same thing with everyone else, but that was because he knows what they are like. All the people he mocks have something about them, because no one in this world is nice anymore. All beings are cruel and have an element of anger about them. Not Dongwoo though. 
 
"You'll answer if I ask, right?" Sunggyu clarified.
 
Dongwoo's face twisted into one of a bit of confusion, but never the less, he nodded a yes with his eyes falling to travel along the carpet once more. 
 
Sunggyu smiled brightly, sad that Dongwoo wasn't able to bask in the light of his smile, but that was pushed aside. He spoke, "So, how was your day, Dongwoo?" 
 
It was almost as if a bomb went off in the room as Dongwoo's head shot up to face Sunggyu. His mouth hung agape as he processed the event that was someone talking to him. He was silent for a few seconds before he stuttered and answered, "Uh, it's been pretty slow so far. But okay I guess," he trailed off and it seemed as though he were to start crying due to his screw up. 
 
Sunggyu somewhat panicked when Dongwoo actually started crying into his hands, cupping his face to hide it from sight, "Hey, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to make you cry! Honest!" to be honest, he doesn't even know what he did to make the junior cry. 
 
Dongwoo then shook his head, "No," he croaked through the tears. Sunggyu felt terrible, but he had to admit that Dongwoo looked adorable when he was crying. His mouth was almost always open and his eyes shrank to dark crescents as tears leaked through. 
 
"What then?" Sunggyu asked, leaning over his desk to get closer to the junior. 
 
Suddenly, Dongwoo shot up out of his seat and wrapped his muscled arms around the senior's neck in a tight hug. Sunggyu was shocked and knew not what to do next, but he eventually he brought his arms up and hugged the younger male back. His back felt firm and muscled against his arms. 
 
"Thank you," Dongwoo whispered next to Sunggyu's ear. It was smooth again, all traces of tears and crying having disappeared, "Thank you for asking." 
 
"Thank you for answering," Sunggyu retaliated with a light laugh. 
 
What happened next was unexpected as well as Dongwoo placed a chaste kiss against Sunggyu's temple. He pulled away after doing so to see a blushing Sunggyu. Dongwoo then blushed himself as he realized what he just did, the words I'm so sorry in the verge of leaving his lips. 
 
"I think we'll be really good friends," Sunggyu predicted with a wide smile. He laughed once he watched Dongwoo cower in embarrassment at his actions. 
 
Sunggyu kept smiling even when Dongwoo moved on from talking to him to talking to Jieun, who was somehow forgotten during their talking. The two seemed a bit more comfortable together, but Sunggyu could tell that there was something between himself and the junior. He had positive feelings for the boy, but he didn't quite know the extent of them yet. 
 
Dongwoo turned out to be very animated when it came to people he knew. He showed his true colors for the first time when he sat with Sunggyu for lunch. He stuffed grapes up his large nostrils, causing Sunggyu to spit the gross school milk out his own. After that, there were no boundaries. 
 
He was also very talented at dancing, rapping, and dancing, like Sunggyu predicted. They would often go out to karaoke bars with Jieun to goof off and occasionally sing to the best of their abilities. 
 
Eventually, after the few months they knew each other, Dongwoo had gained a few new social skills and actually had a handful of friends his own age, whom all became Sunggyu's and Jieun's friends as well. And what also became during the time, was Sunggyu's graduation date. 
 
He wouldn't return to the school the following school year and instead would go off to university to study for any occupation he wanted. What came with Dongwoo's friendship was also better study habits, allowing Sunggyu to raise his GPA two whole points up! Sadly, he would leave behind all of his wonderful friends. 
 
The graduation ceremony was a bummer on Sunggyu's part. He was no longer signed to the school and was now a college student. After he undressed from his cap and robe, he looked for his friends. 
 
He spotted them close by and almost frowned upon seeing Dongwoo cuddling up to Jieun. The two had recently become very close and he was too late to stop any sparks flying. 
 
It was Dongwoo who spotted Sunggyu first, calling over the whole group to rush over. Dongwoo ran into Sunggyu's opened arms and he enveloped him in a koala hug, legs wrapping tightly around his thin waist. He may have almost made the elder fall backwards on the school steps. 
 
"Whoa! Don't kill me now! I have to attend college!" he joked, ears straining to capture every fluctuating cadence of Dongwoo's sweet laughter. The boy always possessed the cutest laugh Sunggyu'd ever heard. 
 
"Congrats!" a mutual friend, Woohyun, yelled. He reached over to hit Sunggyu's head and annoyingly added, "Go wild and crazy at Uni." 
 
"You know it!" Sunggyu replied after messaging the spot where Woohyun hit. He looked over to Dongwoo and noticed how his arm was wrapped around Jieun's shoulder. He threw that thought aside and asked, "Will you miss me?" 
 
Dongwoo hummed and answered, "Nope! Not in the slightest!" causing the whole group of people to burst into laughter. After a minute, the laughter started to die down and Dongwoo looked once more at Sunggyu, only to notice the put down look on his face. 
 
Dongwoo's smile slowly disappeared and it was replaced by a serious expression of worry, "What is it?" This caught everyone's attention and they were soon all looking at Sunggyu, waiting for an answer. 
 
Sunggyu sighed and a sudden feeling of anger overtook his being, "Oh I don't know! I'm really going to miss you, ya know! I don't appreciate the sarcasm, Dongwoo." 
 
At this point, Dongwoo could sense that there was something bothering the elder other than what he said, "Can you all give us some privacy please?" Dongwoo asked confidently. Everyone nodded and didn't question anything before leaving obediently. Sunggyu noticed how Dongwoo slightly touched Jieun's hand as she left to join the others. 
 
Once they were all alone, Dongwoo turned to the elder and asked, "Okay, can you tell me what's wrong now?" 
 
Sunggyu sighed and avoided eye contact with the younger, looking above him at the other high school graduates hugging their boyfriends or girlfriends, stirring up the desire in his heart for one as well. 
 
"Nothing. Nothing's wrong," he lied. 
 
Dongwoo squinted, "Really? Don't give me that. Really though Gyu, what's wrong?" he now had a hand placed on Sunggyu's shoulder, holding it firmly, yet warmly in his grip. 
 
Sunggyu sighed, "I... I'm just really going to miss seeing you every day once I actually leave," it wasn't exactly what he was upset about, but it was a small part of it. He would soon resolve to only seeing his friends to once every four months. 
 
"Awe," Dongwoo cooed, moving forward for a hug, which he received. Sunggyu hugged him tight and thought of the younger's unavailability, "We'll always text and Skype or something, okay?" 
 
"Yeah," Sunggyu confirmed while pulling away from the hug. He looked over to where the rest of their friends were and was once again reminded of Jieun, "Oh," he interjected before sadly asking, "How long have you and Jieun been together?" 
 
Dongwoo fell into a state of confusion before looking over to the said friend. Upon sight, he finally registered what was said and his face reacted properly by contorting into that of disgust, "What are you even talking about?" 
 
It was now Sunggyu's turn to be confused, pointing between the male and Jieun with his hand, "Aren't you two dating?" he asked, still confused. 
 
Dongwoo shook his head and shouted, "No!" he immediately fell silent before anymore was said on the topic and started to focus heavily on the ground, almost as if he were as shy as he was two months ago. Right when Sunggyu was going to prod on about the two juniors dating, Dongwoo spoke up again, "I like someone else actually."
 
Sunggyu stiffened and stood still as he tried not to let the emotions take over. There was someone else now, "Who?" he asked, bracing his body, heart, and mind for the dreaded answer. 
 
Dongwoo proceeded to stay completely silent and stare at the ground. His foot carefully ran along the noisy and aged concrete as he finally answered, but not with the expected verbal action. Instead, he used the best confession. Physical commitment to Sunggyu. 
 
The thick lipped boy jolted forward and placed a chaste kiss again the elder's agape lips. His plush lips felt comforting against Sunggyu's and molded into his thin ones. They marveled in the warmth of each other. Truth be told, this was both males' first kiss, and it was still so good! 
 
Sunggyu unwillingly retreated first in shock as he realized, Dongwoo was freaking kissing him! "Wait... What just happened here?" 
 
Dongwoo laughed and shook his head, "You're the one I like, you silly," his trade mark laughter rang out in beautiful rhythm, each sound nicely filling Sunggyu's ear drum, "Ever since you first asked me how my day was, I knew you were the one, kind and caring, handsome and loving, considerate, you were always the one for someone like me." 
 
It all made sense. Dongwoo's match would have to be someone with all those attributes. Since he was still extremely shy with many strangers, he needed someone by his side who was able to speak and ask of others. His care, consideration, kindness, and love would come in handy with that, as well as any other situation where Dongwoo would need him. His handsome face was just for Dongwoo's enjoyment. 
 
Sunggyu slowly smiled and laughed lightly, accepting the words of poetry flowing from Dongwoo's plump lips, "What do you say then?" 
 
Sunggyu hummed and tapped his lips with his index finger, "Well, can I have another kiss?" 
 
Dongwoo laughed and smiled lovingly before speaking, "Sometimes you just have to ask," then he leaned forward and kissed Sunggyu for the second time. And man, was a kiss better the second time!! 

A/N: I'd first like to speak to my prompter. At first, I had no idea what to do for this prompt! So many thoughts came to my head, and finally, this one came to me and it fit well :) I hope you like what I have to offer you. Merry Christmas, Inspirit~!!!