First Day

Life As We Know It

Daehyun 5 years old
Youngjae 5 years old
Jongup 4 years old
Junhong 3 year old

First Day

Youngjae bit the nails on his left hand as his right was being held firmly by his Appa.  They both stood in front of the gates, watching the children and their parents on the other side.  He shifted the bag on his back.  He didn't notice the appearance of Daehyun until his brother had bumped his shoulder.  He looked over to see Daehyun bundled up in his coat with the same style bag in a different color on his back, his left hand gripping their Daddy's hand.

Himchan moved to crouch down in front of both of them.  “Okay boys.”  He said as he made sure that their coats were closed properly.  He took Youngjae's hand out of his mouth, stopping his son from continuing to bite his nails; it was a habit that he had picked up whenever he was nervous.  “Are you ready for your first day of school?”

Daehyun nodded slowly while Youngjae shook his head.  Both boys were nervous about starting a new school.  They were fine with staying at their nursery school with all the friends they had there; they didn't want to start Kindergarten.  But Daehyun wanted to look brave in front of their parents.  Youngjae was the crybaby between the two of them and he didn't want to be the crybaby.

Himchan frowned.  “Why Youngjae?”

Youngjae's bottom lip shook as tears formed in his eyes.  “I don't wanna go to school Daddy.  I want to stay at home with Appa.”  He moved behind Yongguk's leg and hid his face in the denim material. 

Yongguk frowned.  He placed a hand on Youngjae's back.  “Youngjae.  Youngjae come out.”  He said coaxing his son.  Youngjae shook his head as he cried into Yongguk's leg.

“But Youngjae you need to go to school.”  Himchan said, only causing Youngjae to shake his head more.  “Youngjae you won't be alone, Daehyun will be with you.  Won't you Daehyun?”

Daehyun nodded.  “Come on JaeJae.”  He grabbed one of Youngjae's hands.  “I'll be with you.”

“See Youngjae.  Daehyun will be there with you every step of the way.”  Yongguk Youngjae's head.

Daehyun smiled when Youngjae peeked out from where he had his face buried.  “I'll protect you JaeJae.”

“You're going to like school Youngjae.  You're going to make a lot of new friends and learn a lot of things.”  Yongguk told him as Daehyun pulled his brother from behind Yongguk's leg.  Youngjae still kept a firm hold on Yongguk's pants.

“Don't worry sweetie.  Appa and I will both pick you up after school.”  Himchan wiped Youngjae's tears from his cheeks.

“Really?”  Youngjae looked up at Yongguk with his big doe eyes.

“Yup.”  Yongguk crouched down to Youngjae's level.  “We'll bring Jongup and Junhong with us too so you and Daehyun can tell them all about how much fun you two had today at school.”

“Now you two be good boys, okay?”  Youngjae and Daehyun both nodded at Himchan's request.  “Daehyun, don't go eating the other kids food, got that?”

Daehyun nodded and smiled.  “Don't worry Daddy I won't.  I'll eat JaeJae's food.”

Youngjae furrowed his eyebrows.  “Don't eat my food.”

Both Himchan and Yongguk walked their sons to their class, making sure to introduce themselves to the young teacher.  She greeted the four of them warmly.  Himchan and Yongguk both kissed their sons before leaving.  Youngjae looked back at them with watery eyes, not wanting his parents to leave.  Himchan felt a ping in his heart as Youngjae was on the verge of crying again.  Youngjae started to bite his nails to stop himself from crying as his parents walked out.  If it wasn’t for Yongguk’s hand on his back guiding him out of the room, Himchan would have grabbed his sons and take them with him.  He couldn’t bare to see the sad looks on their faces. 

It didn’t take long for Youngjae to calm down and get used to being in a class full of kids he didn’t know.  There were still some kids who cried more than he did.  He was happy that Daehyun’s seat was next to his.  It calmed him to know that his brother was next to him.  He shyly greeted the girl and boy that sat on the other side of the table.  They both greeted him back with cheerful smiles.  He stayed silent most of the time as Daehyun talked to them.

It wasn’t until story time that Youngjae warmed up to school.  He loved it whenever his parents read him a story.  Stories were something that Youngjae really liked to listen to.  He would constantly bother his parents to read or buy him a new book.  He had started reading books not too long ago with the help of his parents. 

His face lite up when the teacher asked him to pick out a book for her to read out loud to the class.  He walked over to the small bookshelf and looked over at the books.  He tried to his best to read the title of the books.  He smiled when he saw one of his favorite books in the shelf.  He pulled it out and handed it to the teacher before sitting back down next to Daehyun.  Daehyun huffed when he realized which book Youngjae had picked.  Since it was one of his younger brother’s favorite books, he had heard the story over and over again and had grown tired of it.

Before they knew it, the first day of school for Daehyun and Youngjae was over.  Both boys put on their coats and helped each other with their backpacks.  They walked hand in hand to the outside of the school only to let go when they raced over to where Yongguk and Himchan were standing with their younger brothers.

“Appa!”  Youngjae jumped into Yongguk’s arms when he crouched down to Youngjae’s level.  Daehyun did the same with Himchan.

“Did you two have a good day?”  Yongguk asked them both.

Youngjae nodded.  “You were right Appa.  School was fun.”

“We made friends with the girl and boy that sit at our table.”  Daehyun said as Himchan put him down.

“I knew you two would make friends.”  Himchan said as he grabbed Junhong’s hand so that he wouldn’t get lost with all the kids around.  “You can tell us all about how much fun you had today once we’re in the car.”

Daehyun and Youngjae waved goodbye to one of the new friends that they made in class as they walked with their parents to their car.  The car ride home was far from quiet.  Daehyun and Youngjae talked non-stop about everything that they did, not leaving anything out.  Jongup and Junhong listened or at least tried to keep up with their older brothers but Daehyun was talking too loud and Youngjae was talking too fast.

“Daddy?”  Youngjae called from the back of the car.

“Yes sweetie?”  Himchan turned from the passenger seat to look at him.

“I’m hungry.  Daehyun ate half of my lunch.”  Youngjae pouted.

 


A Youngjae drabble for the adorable squishy fluffball's birthday.  I hoped you guys liked it.  A Youngjae centric drabble was long over due.  Sorry it took so long for one.

Oh and if you're probably wondering why Daehyun and Youngjae are the same age in this one it's because the Korean school system starts in March.  Being that DaeJae are 7 months apart, they're the same age for 5 months out of the year.  (But you probably already knew that right?)

Don't forget, I am accepting prompts for future drabbles.  So just let me know in the comments what you would like to see and I will try to write it.  (I have 2 that have been suggested to me that I will write.)

Subscribe, comment and upvote!

Til next time lovelies~