Year Three

Life As We Know It

Yongguk 27
Himchan 27
Daehyun 1 month

Year Three

New Parents 101 by Kim Himchan

When your newborn is asleep, TAKE A NAP!

 

Himchan nuzzled himself further into the pillow as he fell deeper into sleep. The apartment was silent, the only thing that could be heard was the bustling sound of the streets below that came through the open widows. For the last day of July, it was unseasonably cooler than it was days prior and Himchan loved just how comfortable it was. It was the kind that didn't cause Himchan to instantly break into sweat from stepping outside and it was also good for their newborn Daehyun.

It had been a little over a month since they had adopted and brought Daehyun home with them. A month of both Yongguk and Himchan learning first hand how much work a newborn can actually be. The constant diaper changes, feedings every few hours like clockwork, the struggle to learn what each cry meant and the lack of sleep. Sleep was probably the one thing that Himchan missed most. Sure, he still slept but it wasn't as much as it was before. He couldn't sleep in for hours like he used to. Yongguk had even nicknamed him Koala for the amount of hours he could sleep without waking up.

But those days were gone. Daehyun constantly had them awake, not yet being able to sleep through the night. But Himchan didn't mind. He'd gladly sacrificed sleep for his son. He would just make sure to sleep whenever he got the chance, like now while his newborn was taking a nap.

Himchan was known to be a heavy sleeper. He could sleep through anything and everything that's why he had Daehyun's bassinet right next to him as they both slept. There was no way that he wouldn't hear his son crying.

Or so he thought.

 

 

Yongguk walked into the apartment to hear Daehyun crying in his bassinet and Himchan softly snoring on the couch right next to him. He set down the bags that were in his hands and picked up the crying infant, cradling him in his arms. He did the standard check procedures to see why their newborn was crying and instantly came to the conclusion that the culprit was a soggy diaper. He walked into Daehyun's room and quickly changed the infant's diaper.

He cradled Daehyun back into his arms, gently rocking the infant. He hummed one of the lullabies that his mother used to sing to him. Daehyun gurgled back at him as his eyes tried to focus on his Appa's face but not exactly meeting his eyes. Yongguk wasn't all too worried about Daehyun not locking eyes with him; the baby books he had read before Daehyun was born said that some babies took up to four months to start meeting their parent's eyes.

Yongguk smiled when Himchan wrapped his arms around his waist and buried his face into the back of his shoulder.

“Hey there sleepy head.” Yongguk said to his husband before cooing at their son.

“Oh shush. You slept through his cries last night, so I had to stay up all night with him.” Himchan rested his chin on Yongguk's shoulder. “Happy anniversary.”

Yongguk turned his head towards Himchan so they could share a quick kiss. “Happy anniversary, Channie. I love you.”

“I love you.” Himchan kissed Yongguk again before detaching himself from his husband and moving so that he could kiss Daehyun on the forehead. “And I love you, Daehyunnie.”

“I got the food and was able to get the cake that you wanted.” Yongguk said while Himchan cooed at the newborn.

Himchan looked up at his husband and smiled. “I love you even more now.”

“Glad to see that you love me for my dessert acquiring skills.” Yongguk joked.

“That's the only reason why I married you.” Himchan winked and blew a kiss at Yongguk before making his way out of the bedroom.

Himchan walked out to the living room and grabbed the bags that Yongguk had left on the floor and took them to the kitchen. He plated the food from the takeout containers and started to set up the coffee table. Yongguk placed Daehyun on the floor on top of the blankets that were laid out. He placed the mobile gym over Daehyun so that newborn could look up at the object that where hanging off the gym.

Once Daehyun was lightly kicking and cooing at the gym, Yongguk helped his husband finish setting up the coffee table with the food. He laughed when he saw Himchan pouring water into wine glasses.

“Seriously, Channie?”

“What? We can't drink wine right now, now can we? So instead of wine, we have water.” Himchan said as he placed the pitcher of water back into the refrigerator.

Once everything was set on the table, they both settled down on the floor in front of the coffee table. They sat across from each other; Daehyun on his back underneath the mobile, right next to them in arm's length.

Yongguk lifted up his glass of water and said, “Happy 3rd wedding aniversary, Himchan. I know we had planned to do something this year but with Daehyun now part of our family, we had to postpone it but I wouldn't have it any other way.”

“Happy wedding anniversary to you too, Yongguk. Just because we can't go somewhere for a romantic dinner or a romantic vacation, doesn't mean anything. As long as I'm with you, we could make this takeout dinner the most romantic takeout dinner ever known to man.”

They both chuckled before taking a sip from their glass.

“Hope you know, this doesn't mean that you can start slacking off for our anniversary. Next year, we better be twice as romantic as tonight.” Himchan said as he placed his glass back down on the table.

Yongguk snorted. “As you wish, Your Majesty.”

Himchan flicked at piece of bean sprout at Yongguk cause them to both laugh.

By the time they finished their meal, Himchan barely had room for the cake Yongguk had brought back and Daehyun was starting to become fussy about still being on the floor. Himchan picked the newborn up from the floor and placed him on his shoulder, supporting the back of his head and his bottom. Himchan smiled when Yongguk started to play a melody off of his phone. He knew it was one of Yongguk's unfinished songs; no words, just a beautiful melody, raw and elegant.

Yongguk wrapped his arms around Himchan's waist. He started to lightly sway them along to the music causing his husband to giggle. He kissed Daehyun's temple before capturing Himchan's lips in a chaste kiss.

“We're going to have so much tonight. We just need this one to fall back asleep.” Yongguk smirked.

“Oh my god, you're ridiculous.” Himchan laughed and shook his head.

 

New Parents 101 by Kim Himchan Bang Yongguk.

When your newborn is asleep, TAKE A NAP! Make sweet, sweet lovin' with your husband! Cause it's your anniversary, dammit!

 


Not gonna lie, Yongguk and Himchan gross me out with how lovey-dovey they are.  How dare they be so lovey-dovey and romantic and gross like that lol.

And just as July 31st is Yongguk's and Himchan's wedding annivesary, it is also the fics anniversary!  /throws confetti/

Don't know what I'm gonna write next, I just know that it's definitely going to be a request.  Preferably one from when they were dating.  

And like always, subscribe and upvote if you haven't already and leave me your lovely comments!

(and come talk to me on tumblr @amorala, if you want)

Til next time lovelies~