Christmas Cookies

Life As We Know It

Daehyun 5
Youngjae 4
Jongup 3
Junhong 2

Christmas Cookies

There are certain family traditions that are passed on from generation to generation and some new ones that parents start for their own family. Yongguk and Himchan both had their own family traditions that they shared with their boys but they also wanted to start new ones. One of their traditions was making Christmas cookies with their sons, despite how messy the kitchen would be afterward. It was something that they were hoping they could continue with their sons when they got older.

“Daehyun be careful with the eggs!” Yongguk said when his eldest son pulled the eggs out of the refrigerator. He noticed Daehyun's unsteady hands and rushed over to the boy so that the eggs wouldn't fall to floor.

“I got it Appa.” Daehyun said with determination to not drop the eggs in his hands.

“Here.” Yongguk handed his son a plastic bowl. “Put the eggs in here so that you won't drop them.”

Daehyun did as his appa told him and placed the eggs inside the bowl. He took the bowl from Yongguk's hand and thanked him before sliding the bowl onto the kitchen table. He stood on his step stool next to Junhong, who was standing on a chair.

“Can we start now Appa?” Youngjae asked as he waited as patiently as possible next to Jongup.

Yongguk looked over their layout on the table, mentally checking off the things he needed for the cookies. His sons stood next to the table in their very own colored aprons. He nodded. “I think we're ready.”

“Yay!” His sons screamed and bounced on their feet. Yongguk situated himself in between Junhong and Jongup.

“But Umma not here.” Jongup pouted.

Normally around this time of year Himchan would be home all day thanks to the month long holiday vacation Korean schools took but he had been really busy this year. Himchan had accepted an offer to play at a traditional Korean music event on Christmas. He had been practicing day in and day out with the other members of the orchestra. He had wanted to decline but Yongguk had convinced him to do it. Yongguk was the one that stayed home all day with his sons and made sure to have a cooked meal for Himchan when he came home from practice. He knew from experience of being in the studio all day what it was like to come home to a cooked meal waiting for you; it was his turn to do the same for his husband.

Yongguk decided to surprise Himchan with Christmas cookies when he came home. He knew that this was a tradition that they wanted to do together as a family but instead of these cookies being for Santa like they would tell their sons, the cookies were for Himchan. They could make their normal Christmas cookies when Himchan has time.

“We're making these for Umma, Jonguppie. So we need to make them extra special.” Yongguk said to his eldest maknae.

“Okay Appa!” Jongup said, smiling at him.

Yongguk clamps his hands together. “Alright, first we need the flour.”

“I got it Appa!” Youngjae said as he bounced on his chair.

Youngjae grabbed the bag of flour but the bag was much too heavy for the little boy. The bag slipped from his hands and landed on the table, a cloud of flour covered him and Jongup. Yongguk waved his hands around, causing the cloud of flour to vanish. Both boys looked at each other, wide eyed for a couple of seconds before busting out in a fit of laughter along with their brothers. Both boys' hair, face and shoulders were covered in flour.

“Junnie too! Junnie too!” Junhong bounced on his chair, wanting to get covered with flour as well.

“Junhong no. You can't get covered with flour.” Yongguk said as he grabbed a kitchen towel to wipe Jongup and Youngjae. Jongup closed his eyes and shook his head, causing the flour to fly from his hair and face onto the table and chair. “Jongup don't do that.” He said as he tried to get his son to stop.

Youngjae hoped off his step stool and ran around to where Daehyun stool and shook his head at his older brother.

“Jae stop.” Daehyun said as he laughed. The flour from Youngjae spread to Daehyun and Junhong.

“Youngjae stop that!” Yongguk turned to his second eldest. This allowed Jongup to grab with his little hands, some of the flour that was covering the table and ran to where his brothers were and threw the flour in the air. “Jongup!”

“Flour fight!” Daehyun yelled.

The eldest of the Bang sons reached over to grab some flour on the table and threw it at Youngjae. Flour started to fly everywhere despite Yongguk's protests. The four boys laughed and ran around the kitchen throwing flour everywhere while trying to avoid their appa.

“Not the sugar!” Yongguk tried to quickly grabbed the bowl of sugar from Jongup's hands but the three year old tossed the sugar in the air. Yongguk went to run after the toddler but slipped on the sugar and fell on his .

“I'm ho-what's going on here?” Himchan asked as he entered his once spotless kitchen to see his four sons covered in flour while his poor husband, covered in flour sitting on the floor with his head hung low.

“Daddy!” Daehyun, Youngjae and Junhong yelled.

“Umma!” Jongup yelled as he ran up to Himchan covered in flour.

“Channie!” Yongguk said lifting his head back up. He stood up, relieved to see his husband back from practice. “Thank god you're home!”

“What happened here?” Himchan asked.

“We're making cookies for you, Daddy.” Daehyun said.

“We wanted to surprise you with cookies since you're been so busy, but our little monsters decided it would be a good idea to have a flour fight.” Yongguk sighed, slumping his shoulders and lowering his head.

Himchan walked towards his husband, wrapped his arms around his waist and kissed his lips. “Well that is definitely a surprise.” Himchan chuckled. He started to wipe off the flour from Yongguk's face. “Why don't we just make the cookies together?” Their sons cheered at the suggestion. “But first, we need to clean this mess up.”

 

 

Yongguk practically threw himself on the couch next to Himchan, sighing as his tired body hit the soft cushion. One clean kitchen, a new bag of flour and four baths later, the cookies were done. Himchan had offered to bathe the boys while Yongguk finished up the cookies by baking six of them on a tray at a time.

“The last batch is cooling on the rack right now.” Yongguk said. Himchan, who had grabbed the mixing bowl after bathing their sons, offered the big spoon with cookie dough to Yongguk. Yongguk let his husband feed him some of the cookie dough. “Mmm, I think these were our best cookies we've made so far.” His fingers played with Himchan's fingers before they intertwined with each other. “Sorry you had to come home to this.”

Himchan shook his head and took out the big spoon from his mouth. He swallowed the cookie dough that was in his mouth. “After the practice I had today, coming home to all of you covered in flour was exactly what I needed.”

“That bad?” Yongguk his thumb along the side of Himchan's intertwined hand.

“Meh.” Himchan shrugged his shoulders. “I just forgot how tiring rehearsing can be.” He situated himself so that his head was resting on Yongguk's shoulders. He offered his husband more cookie dough which he graciously accepted.

Daehyun's little head peered out from the corner of the hallway. The smell of the fresh cookies called to the five year old. He made a disgusted face when he saw his parents kissing. He took the opportunity to run as quickly as he could to the kitchen, away from his parent's eye and in front of the only thing that mattered at the moment, the cookies.

“Where do you think you're going mister?” Himchan said, catching Daehyun on his way to the kitchen. “Daehyun you need to eat dinner first, then you can have a cookie.”

“But I want a cookie now when they're hot cause they're really yummy when they're hot.” Daehyun pouted.

“Dinner first otherwise Santa will hear about this and will skip you this year.” Yongguk said causing the boy to stomp back to his room where his brothers were playing in.

“I'll order something for us to eat. I'm too tired from all the baking.” Himchan said as he stood up from the couch.

“If you don't mind, I'm going to hop into the shower. I think I have sugar in my .” He said resulting in Himchan doubling over in laughter.

 


Merry Christmas!

Hope you guys like it.  

Please subscribe, comment and upvote.

Til next time lovelies~