Appa's Promise

Life As We Know It

Daehyun 3
Youngjae 2
Jongup 1
Junhong 3 months

Appa's Promise

Youngjae grabbed one of the books that was on the bottom of the book shelf and pulled it close to his chest. He walked out of his room and down the hallway, stopping right in front of his parent's bedroom. He pouted at the closed door.

“Youngjae?” Himchan said when he walked out of the bathroom. “What are you doing in front of Appa's and Daddy's room?”

The almost three year old turned to his Daddy and pouted. “I want Appa to read me book.” He said as he brought the book in front of his face.

“Aww, Youngjae.” Himchan crouched down to the toddler's level. He ran his fingers through Youngjae's fine hair. “Appa is working right now and we can't bother him.”

Yongguk had decided to work from home today. Which meant their bedroom was a “No Enter” zone. Yongguk had to focus on completing the composition of the new song that his company had been asking for. Normally Yongguk would hold himself up in the studio but for the past couple of days he wasn't able to create the song he wanted. He was blocked creatively and thought a change of scenery would help.

Himchan made sure that their sons wouldn't be a bother to Yongguk while he worked. He had taken them to one of their neighbor's apartment for a play date, giving his husband the silence that he needed. They had just came back to put Junhong down for his nap and to eat lunch when Youngjae remembered his Appa's promise. He had hoped that his Appa would be done with work so that he could read the book to him.

Youngjae looked down, frowning. “I know.”

“You want Daddy to read you the book?” Himchan asked.

Youngjae shook his head. “Appa promised to read book with JaeJae.”

Himchan sighed, his heart slightly panging at seeing his son sad. He hated seeing his children sad like this. “How about we eat lunch first and then we'll see if Appa can read the book to you? Okay?” Youngjae nodded, his eyes still looking at the floor. “Okay.” Himchan scooped the toddler up into his arms and walked away from the bedroom.

 

An hour later, Youngjae found himself standing in front of his parent's door again with the book hugged to his chest. His Appa didn't come out to eat lunch with them. Youngjae wondered if his Appa ate anything. He reached up to the doorknob when Jongup walked over.

“JaeJae.” The almost two year old called out to his older brother, smiling. “Pway wit Uppie.”

“Not right now Uppie. JaeJae wants Appa to read book.” Youngjae said causing Jongup to pout.

“Pwease.” Jongup whined, he grabbed on of Youngjae's hands. “Pwease JaeJae. Pweeeeease.”

“Shh!” Youngjae put his finger up to his mouth. “Appa is working.”

Jongup's bottom lip shook, tears forming in his eyes. “But JaeJae no pway wit Uppie.”

“Okay Uppie.” Youngjae hugged his brother. “JaeJae will play with you.” He grabbed Jongup's hand and led his younger brother away from his parent's room.

Himchan watched as Youngjae set the book in his arms down on the table with a pout before going to play with Jongup and Daehyun. Himchan left the living room and walked to his bedroom, cracking open the door slightly and peering inside. Yongguk sat with his back to the door, in front of the small desk that he had set up for himself. He was staring at his laptop in front of him, bobbing his head to the music that was coming out of his earphones. Himchan heard a sigh come from his husband before Yongguk shook his head and went back to make some kind of changes to the song.

Himchan frowned when he noticed that the food that he had left Yongguk remained untouched. Yongguk was so immersed in the song that he didn't notice the food next to him. Himchan knew that Yongguk would go the entire day without eating because he was so busy working; he was in his own world right now.

Himchan shut the door when he heard Junhong's cries coming from the infant's bedroom. He walked away hoping that his husband would finish the song soon.

 

Yongguk leaned back on the chair and stretched. His body arched and his stomach rumbled. He looked at the time on his monitor; it was late in the evening. Without realizing it, Yongguk had worked non-stop the entire day. It was rare for him to work non-stop; normally he would take breaks from time to time but today had been one of those days where the concept of time wasn't there.

He turned in his chair and spotted Youngjae asleep on his bed, curled up with a book in his arms. “Youngjae?” Yongguk walked to his bed and sat down next to his son at the same moment Himchan walked into the room. “What's Youngjae doing sleeping on our bed?” He asked his husband.

“He was waiting for you.” Himchan told him.

“Waiting for me?”

“He said that Appa promised to read him a book but his Appa was busy working. So he waited for you.” Himchan as he walked closer.

Yongguk heart panged. “I'm horrible. I put work over my sons.”

Himchan sat on the bed, behind Yongguk. He wrapped his arms around Yongguk, back hugging him. “You're not horrible. You're an amazing appa to them.”

“But my son waited for me all day to stop working without me knowing.” Yongguk murmured. “Why didn't you tell me earlier?”

“You were in your own world. You know how you get.” Himchan said. “Look, the same thing would have happened if you were in the studio today. Don't beat yourself up over it. As much as we want to be there with them, we can't. We as parents make sacrifices sometimes in order to provide for our children. We're bound to miss a few things here and there.”

“What parental book did you steal that from?” Yongguk teased.

“I didn't steal it from a book.” Himchan said. “I stole it from my umma.” They both chuckled.

Yongguk ran his hand over Youngjae's forehead, tucking his fringe behind his ear. He reached to grab the book in Youngjae's hands causing the toddler to stir from his sleep.

“Book.” The two year old whined. He opened his eyes to see his parent's smiling back at him. “Appa.” He said, extending his arms up asking to be carried.

Yongguk scooped the boy up into his arms and settled him on his lap. Youngjae rested his head on his Appa's chest.

Youngjae pointed at the book. “Appa read book.”

“But Youngjae it's past your bedtime. You need to go to sleep. I'll read it to you tomorrow.” Yongguk said.

The boy shook his head and pouted. “Today.”

“Are you sure Youngjae? You're not going to fall back asleep?” Himchan asked. The little boy nodded as he yawned.

Yongguk smiled at the cute face his son was making. He knew that Youngjae would fall back asleep as soon he started to read the book. But he was going to keep his promise to his son and read the book for him.

He opened the book and started reading to him. No more than five pages later, Youngjae was fast asleep.  

 


D'aww, JaeJae!  Who gave me permission to write something this cute right?

Hope you guys liked Youngjae's birthday drabble.  Jonguppie's next!

If you guys have any suggestions for Yongguk's and Himchan's birthday drabbles please feel let me know.  Cause as of right now, I have no idea what to do for them.  So it would really help.

Please subscribe and upvote if you haven't already and don't forget to leave me your lovely comments.

Til next time lovelies~

Happy Birthday Youngjae!