New Beds

Life As We Know It

Daehyun 1 year old
Youngjae 6 months

New Beds

“Daehyunnie slow down, you’re going to choke.” Himchan told his son when the baby stuffed another soft pasta shell in his mouth. Daehyun grabbed another shell from the bowl that sat on his high chair tray and stuffed it into his mouth. His cheeks puffed out with the amount of food in them. Himchan removed the bowl of food from Daehyun’s tray. “No more until you finish what’s in your mouth mister.”

Himchan turned back to the stove to check on the dinner he was cooking. He turned back to Daehyun when the baby started to whine. “Done already?” He said to the baby. Daehyun reached his hands up, whining for more food. Himchan placed a few shells on Daehyun’s tray before continuing to cook.

Himchan smiled to himself when he heard the front door unlock.

“I’m home.” Yongguk said from the entrance. He made his way to the kitchen, stopping to give Daehyun a kiss on top of his head. The baby paid no attention to his appa as he stuffed more shells into his mouth. He slid his arm around Himchan’s waist from behind and placed a kiss on his cheek.

Himchan turned his head to kiss the rapper’s lips. “Welcome home.” He smiled. “How was the studio?” He asked as he turned back to the stove.

“Good. The company was happy with the songs that I wrote for the group.” He said as he sat down in front of Daehyun, who whined for more food. He placed more food on the highchair tray. “What are those boxes in the living room?”

Himchan smiled in excitement. “Oh that! They just came in today! It’s the boys’ beds!”

“Beds?” Yongguk raised an eyebrow. “Himchan, they’re still in cribs. Why did you spend money on something that they don’t need?” Yongguk asked.

“But they’re going to need them eventually.” Himchan said as he stirred the vegetable he just chopped into the stew.

“Yeah but not now. Himchan we could have used that money for something else.” Yongguk covered his eyes. “I can't believe you did this.” He huffed.

Himchan furrowed his eyebrows. He could hear the irritation in his husband's voice. He turned to face Yongguk. “I don't know why you're getting like this when I bought something that’s for the boys.”

“I'm getting like this because you always do this!” Yongguk removed the hand from his eyes and looked at Himchan. “You buy something expensive that we don't need without my knowledge.”

“It wasn't expensive. It was on sale. And we will eventually need it.” Himchan crossed his arms in front his chest. “And last time I checked, I didn't have to ask you permission whenever I wanted to buy something.”

“Well, when you're spending the money I worked hard for then yes, you have to start asking me.”

“Your money? Your money?” Himchan couldn't believe what he had just heard. “It's my money too!” He pointed to his chest. “I work just as hard as you do for me not to spend it on our sons!” Himchan couldn't help his voice from becoming louder.

“Most of our money is what I made. So if I don't think we should spend it on something then we don't!” Yongguk regretted what he said as the words came out of his mouth. Never in their marriage had Yongguk said or implied that he was the one in charge of the money because he made more than Himchan.

Himchan clenched his jaw. “Oh. I see now.” He breathed in slowly, trying to calm himself. “I’ve overstepped my boundary. You're right, as the one who makes the least amount of money I should ask you permission for every single thing I want to buy.”

“Himchan that's not what I meant.”

“No I think that’s exactly what you meant. You’re obviously the bread winner of this family and I’m not. There’s no way for this high school music teacher to make enough money as you, the very successful music producer. So I will let you be the man of the family while I step back and be your obedient partner.”

“Himchan…”

“Should I start asking you for an allowance oh husband of mine?” He voice came out mockingly. “Because obviously whatever little money I make is now automatically yours and I’m not even allowed to spend that in a way I deem fit. Even if it is for the benefit of the family!”

“Dammit Himchan, stop!” Yongguk yelled. Daehyun started to cry after being startled by the volume of Yongguk’s voice. Himchan didn’t say anything as Yongguk took Daehyun out from his high chair. He ran his hand up and down the baby’s back. “Appa’s sorry for startling you Daehyun.”

Youngjae’s cries could be heard from the baby’s room. “Our other son must have just woken up from his nap thanks to you. If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go feed him.” Himchan grabbed the bottle he had already made for Youngjae. “You can finish feeding Daehyun and finish cooking or is that something that the obedient partner should do because Mr. Moneybags is too tired from making all that money?” He said as he walked out of the kitchen leaving Yongguk to care for Daehyun.

“Himchan! Don’t walk away from me!” Yongguk followed Himchan out of the kitchen with Daehyun in his arms. Daehyun’s cries got louder as Yongguk rushed down the hallway.

“No!” Himchan turned to Yongguk. “We are not doing this in front of the boys! Look at him! He’s crying because of this!”

Yongguk looked down at his eldest son in his arms. Tears ran down Daehyun's face, he was visibly scared from all the shouting. Guilt washed over Yongguk. He didn't mean to fight in front of Daehyun. They had always tried to avoid fighting in front of their sons. He bounced Daehyun up and down, rubbing the baby's back. “You’re right.” His voice came out softer and calmer than it had been. “But we're still not done talking about this.”

“We'll talk later.” Himchan said before walking into the nursery.

 

Yongguk slowly opened the door to his and Himchan’s bedroom. His eyes landed on his husband’s figure burrowed underneath the covers, his back facing him. Himchan had been avoiding him all day. He wouldn’t speak or even look at him. Yongguk knew this was because it could lead to another fight and they both didn’t want to do it in front of the children. Himchan had always been stubborn and wouldn’t think twice before lashing out. So they did what they had always done whenever they had gotten into a fight; avoid each other until they had both calmed down. Cooler heads will prevail.

This wasn’t their first fight. Throughout their years of being together they had numbers of fights. The formula was always the same. Fight, avoid, make up. They always made up in the end. Even when they had the big fight that resulted in them taking a break from their relationship before they got married. They came back together after being apart for two months. They always found their way back to each other.

They both knew that this wouldn't be their last fight. Marriage wasn't always perfect. There were ups and downs but as long as their love was still there and they made sure to communicate with one another, they would be alright. Love and communication was the key.

Yongguk made his way into their marital bedroom. “The boys are fast asleep in their cribs.” Yongguk said softly. He sat down on at the end of the bed, next to Himchan's feet. “I'm sorry.”

Himchan lightly kicked Yongguk's thigh. “We promised not to fight in front of the kids.” Himchan's voice came from underneath the covers.

“I know...” Yongguk sighed. He stared at the pictures from their wedding that sat on top of the dresser. One of the pictures was taken when they while they were exchanging vows. They both held hands in the picture. Yongguk in a tuxedo and Himchan in an elegant hanbok, both of them with tears in their eyes as they both smiled. The other one was a candid shot of them dancing to their first dance as a married couple. They both had an arm wrapped around the other while their other hand intertwined with the other’s hand. Their foreheads rested against the other, both of them with their eyes close and a smile on their faces.

“You were right.” Himchan's voice came out softly bringing Yongguk back to reality. “I shouldn't have spent your money on beds that the boys won't need for another year.”

“Himchan I shouldn't have said that.” He looked back at his husband. His head was still buried underneath the covers. “It's as much your money as it is mine. You work just as hard as I do.” He placed his hand on Himchan's leg. “What’s mine is yours. We’re a team. I'm sorry for saying that to you earlier. I let my anger do the talking.”

“No, you were right.” Himchan removed the covers from over his head. He looked into Yongguk's apologetic eyes. “I should have saved that money. We'll need that money if we do adopt a third baby just like we talked about. I’m sorry. I spend money without thinking sometimes.” Himchan cast his eyes downward.

Yongguk squeezed Himchan's leg. “But if you think that it's something that we as a family need, then you shouldn't need to ask to buy it, especially when it's a steal like those beds.” Himchan sat up. “Seriously Himchan, 70% off? I'm an idiot for getting mad at you for taking advantage of that deal.”

Himchan moved so that he was now sitting closer to Yongguk. He wrapped his arms around Yongguk. “You're an idiot for a lot of things but you're my idiot.” He kissed Yongguk’s lips.

“I'm sorry for getting mad at you and for yelling in front of Daehyun. Will you forgive me?” Yongguk asked.

“Only if you forgive me?” Himchan pouted.

Yongguk smiled. “Of course.”

Himchan kissed him. “I love you.”

“I love you.” Yongguk reconnected their lips. “So…make up ?” Yongguk asked, causing Himchan to lightly punch him. They both laughed before Himchan kissed Yongguk back, answering his question.


This is the first drabble of the few that were requested.  Someone had requested for a fight and this is what I came up with.  This one was hard for me to write but thanks to my beta (the married woman) I was able to write it.  To the person who requested it, I hope you liked it.

Please keep the requests coming.  Don't be shy to request a future drabble that you would like to see.  I will try my best to write them.

Please comment, upvote and subscribe if you haven't!

Til next time lovelies~