To Stop A Cake Thief

Life As We Know It

Daehyun 5
Youngjae 5
Jongup 4
Junhong 2

To Stop A Cake Thief

“Okay boys, we don't have a lot of time.” Himchan said to his sons after Yongguk left the apartment with Daehyun in tow. “We need to have this cake baked before Appa and Daehyun return from the mall.”

He grabbed the aprons that were hanging off the wall and handed each of them their own.

Youngjae pouted when he received his apron. “I wanted to go to the mall. I need cleats too.”

“I know you do, Youngjae.” Himchan said as he tied Junhong's apron before moving to tie Jongup's. “But we needed Daehyun out of the apartment so that we could bake his cake. Daddy will take you to the mall and buy you your soccer cleats. Okay?”

Youngjae nodded as he tried to tie his own apron behind his back. Himchan reached behind Youngjae to tie his apron. He reached out to Junhong and grabbed the maknae, placing him on top of the chair.

“Okay Junhong, you're going to help Daddy mix. Jongup, you're going to help to pass me the ingredients. Youngjae, you remember how to measure?” Himchan asked his second eldest.

“A little bit.” Youngjae said.

“Don't worry. Daddy will help you.” Himchan smiled at his son.

“Umma, I want to mix.” Jongup pouted.

“Junnie is going to mix.” Himchan said, causing Junhong to stick his tongue out his brother without Himchan noticing.

Jongup whined. “I want to mix!” He reached over to Junhong and grabbed the wooden spoon out of his hand causing the maknae to scream.

“Mine!” Junhong reached over and smacked Jongup.

“Boys!” Himchan quickly came between them, taking the wooden spoon out of Jongup's hand. “If you're going to fight then you will leave my kitchen and kneel in front of the wall as punishment.” He noticed the tears forming in Jongup's eyes. Jongup was normally an angel and wouldn't get in trouble as much as his other three brothers did but he had his moments and whenever he was punished for it, he would cry like it was the end of the world.

“Are you going to behave and do as Daddy tells you?” Himchan asked Jongup.

“Yes Umma. I don't want time out.” Jongup said, wiping his eyes.

“Okay.” Himchan put the wooden spoon back in the mixing bowl. “Now let's start baking Daehyun his birthday cake.”

 

 

The moment Yongguk opened the door to the apartment, he knew that he had gotten there too early. The apartment smelled like chocolate and strawberries. The smell caused Daehyun to run straight to the kitchen without taking off his shoes.

“Is that a cake?” Daehyun asked as his eyes sparkled at the two tier cake. “For me?”

Himchan was putting the finishing touches to Daehyun's birthday cake. The whipped chocolate ganache frosting was perfectly spread over the top and sides of the cake; Himchan had even piped the frosting into ropes along the top edge. The tops of strawberries were cut off so that the fruit could sit perfectly on top of the cake. Himchan was busy writing Happy Birthday Daehyun on the cake when his son ran into the kitichen.

“Yes. It's your birthday cake.” Himchan said while concentrating on writing on top of the cake causing the soon to be six year old jumped for joy. “But you're not allowed to touch it until your party tomorrow.”

“Aw, come on Daddy. How am I going to know if I'll like it if I don't get a piece?” Daehyun pouted.

“I'm positive that you'll like it.” Himchan set down the pipping bag and grabbed Daehyun's shoulders, turning his son around. “Now go play in your room with your brothers while I hide your cake.”

“But Daddy I want a piece!” Daehyun whined.

“You'll get one tomorrow.” Yongguk said as he took over for Himchan and ushered their son to his room. “Boys come on.” He called out to his sons.

“I don't wanna wait!” Daehyun whined.

 

 

Daehyun opened his eyes and was met with a dark bedroom. He looked over to Youngjae's bed to see his younger brother sleeping on his side with his back facing him. He sat up on his bed, slowly getting out of his bed so as to not wake up Youngjae. His younger brother was sure to tattle on him if he saw Daehyun sneaking off to the kitchen and he didn't want that.

He opened his door slowly and peered out from behind it. The hallway was dark and silent. Daehyun smiled. Everyone in the apartment was asleep. He could easily make his way to the kitchen and to his cake.

He tip toed his way to down the hallway, staying close to the wall like he learned from watching a ninja movie with his Appa. Daehyun felt like a ninja as he continued through the living room, taking one soft step after the other. A mischievous smile appeared on his face when he entered the kitchen. He succeed in getting to the kitchen without making any noise. Now he needed to find his cake and the refrigerator was the first place he thought of looking.

Just as he opened the refrigerator door the kitchen lights .

“Ah ha!” Himchan said as he stood by the light switch in his pajamas.

“Daddy!” Daehyun squeaked, closing the refrigerator door quickly.

“I know you're not looking for your cake, are you?” Himchan crossed his arms in front of his chest.

“N-no, Daddy. I wanted milk.” Daehyun said innocently.

“Good. Because you weren't going to find your cake in the refrigerator.” Himchan said as he walked over to the cabinet and pulled out a cup for Daehyun.

“What?” Daehyun asked as he opened the refrigerator door again to look into it, scanning everything. “Where's my cake?” Daehyun turned to his Daddy.

“It's with Mrs. Lee. She's keeping it safe for our little food monster.” Himchan had taken precautions this year. For the past few years, Daehyun had eaten part of his birthday cake before his actual party. He only did it for his cake, not for any of his brother's cake.

Daehyun pouted and hung his head low. He shuffled his way over to his Daddy and rested his cheek on Himchan's thigh before wrapping his arms around Himchan.

“Aww, my big pouty baby.” Himchan said as he ran his hand through Daehyun's hair. “Do you still want milk?” Daehyun nodded. “Okay but you're going to have let me go so I can get you your milk. Then it's back to bed.”

Daehyun let go of Himchan's leg and watched his Daddy walk to the refrigerator and pour a small glass of milk for him. His Daddy turned back to him and handed him the cup before crouching down to his level and kissing his cheek.

“It's after midnight which means it's your birthday. Happy Birthday Daehyunnie.”  

 


I hoped you guys liked this.  

I want to thank AsianKitten and Mightiest-Squirrel for the prompts for this drabble.  I hope you guys liked what I did with the prompts.  (Now to brainstorm the next drabble.)

Subscribe and upvote if you haven't and leave me lovely comments.

Til next time lovelies~