zero nine.

Indispensable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The weather nowadays was unpredictable.

One minute, the sun would be smiling down, greeting every living thing that came across. The next minute, dark and angry clouds begin to dominate the once clear, blue sky - forcing the petrified sun to hide.

Thunder rumbled off at a distance. It wasn't loud though, so most people would easily ignore the sudden boom. Most being the keyword. Seohun, being the minority to do so, woke up with a start. Beads of perspiration were already present on her forehead as her eyelids opened suddenly. Slowly, she sat up and grabbed her sweater. Her body was shivering, but she felt warm. The girl glanced towards the clock, gasping as the brunette realised that she was an hour late in consuming her medicine.

Seohun then unwillingly dragged herself to the kitchen downstairs as she rested against the walls for support. She felt rather light-headed, her surroundings spinning at a quick pace. She stopped moving for a while, body furiously trembling as she did so. She felt like this before - once or twice in China - when she missed taking her medicine on time. If she wanted to rest, she needed to quickly consume them, otherwise - she knows what'll happen. Shaking her head slightly in order to drive the giddiness away - which obviously didn't have much effect - Seohun pushed herself to descend the stairs, being extra careful with the last few steps.

As soon as she reached the kitchen, Seohun grabbed all of the medicine she was supposed to take and swallowed them one by one. Before doing so, she sighed as she looked at the amount of pills she had to force down . Of course, there was another way out - but instead she chose a more difficult route.

Feeling extra chilly, she decided to shut the ajar windows. However, there was no rain at all - only the fierce crackle of lightning and loud cackle of thunder. The clock chimed again minutes after she concluded to rest on the couch ; 11:00pm. And Yifan was still not home yet. She sighed for the nth time, remembering what she had discussed earlier that morning with their stepfather.

 

~"~

 

Upon reaching their birth parent's company, Moonstone Incorporated, both Yifan and his sister were escorted to their stepfather's office whilst Lay was sent to bring their luggage back to their old bungalow.

"You don't need to bring us there, we know the way." Yifan smiled politely to the security guard, not wanting to trouble the latter. The other returned the smile, grateful that Yifan understood his condition, being old and what not.

The guard remembered the first time Yifan joined the company, humble but confident at the same time, a trait he inherited from his father. Never once has he shown arrogance despite being on a superior level. Employees of lower positions hoped that he could take over the CEO position once his father were to pass on. Unfortunately, major shareholders thought he was still too immature to manage a company. Of course that was all a lie, none of them wanted to work under the orders of someone way younger than them.

"Of course, Mr. Wu." the guard said as he pressed the lift button. "It's on the 74th floor now - but you'll easily find it."

Yifan wasn't surprised that their stepfather relocated his office, he scoffed and rolled his eyes once they entered the lift. He sent a quick text to Xiumin's PA, Suho, before shoving his phone back in his pocket.

"Yifan-" Seohun started, knowing that it'll be a very, very long ride all the way up to the 74th floor. So, there wasn't any harm in having a conversation, right?

"Don't. I told you not to talk to me." Yifan firmly retorted, diverting his gaze away from his sister. "Plus, I won't even acknowledge any of your-"

"You're acknowledging me now."

Yifan sent a death glare towards Seohun who was diagonally across, before redirecting his stare to the lifts buttons.

"Fine. But just listen, okay?"

Getting no response, Seohun sighed and decided to let out all of her thoughts, whether Yifan wanted to hear them out or not.

"I know that wanting to agree to this wasn't the best choice -"

"Yeah, it was the worst."

"But our stepfather still doesn't know about my final decision -"

"He'll be jumping his off if he did."

"So, I know I'm a little rash when it comes to thinking straight,"

"A little?"

"Yifan, stop! Just let me finish!" Seohun yelled. "And I guess you're right. I probably shouldn't agree to this."

There was a long pause after Seohun finished her last sentence.

   65.

   66.

   67.

   68.

   69.

"So, you're not gonna get married to Shinhwa's heir?" Yifan inquired, still doubting his sister's comment.

   72.

   73.

"No, I'm not."

The elevator made a faint 'ding!' sound, indicating that they'd finally

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter