three eight.

Indispensable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  "Da- dad?" Kai managed to stutter when he opened the door. It was currently 3am in the morning, and his father was right at his doorstep.

   The tanned male looked back to the floor above, sighing inwardly in relief when neither Seohun nor Woobin was awake.      "What are you doing here."      It wasn't a question - it was more like a warning. A threat.      Before his father could say anything, Kai quickly pulled him out and closed the door behind them.      "I thought I had instilled great respect in you. To think that you had the cheek to not invite me in." His father scowled.      Kai's fists trembled by his sides. Respect? Of course he respected his father. But not once has the other ever respected him, nor his decisions.      "If you've nothing to say, than you shouldn't be here." Kai snapped.      The man only cocked an eyebrow. For someone in his late fifties, Mr. Kim sure had a fair amount of onyx hair neatly combed in the ratio of three to seven. His face had lesser wrinkles than anyone else his age and his body was in tiptop shape. He'd definitely surpass the age of thirty.      "For your information, I've just arrived from the airport. And I didn't expect to receive terrible news from one of our shareholders."      Kai's lips formed a straight line, knowing exactly what this was about. "They sure have a lot of time to complain to you."      Mr. Kim eyed his son grimly. "How can you let your brother take over. I can't believe that you defied my instruc-"      "Forget it. You handed the responsibility to me and I gave it to Taemin. And a month's passed since he took over. Nothing bad happened."      Kai took a step back and held onto the door knob of the house. "You promised that you'd give me the company, but no. You're still controlling it. If you want to take over again, then go ahead. I've nothing to live for." He sighed and castes his eyes away.      His father stared at him, bewildered. But he quickly regained his composure. "You've your wife, and you need to give me a grandson."      The tanned male bit back a grumble. He was so tired.      A few days had passed since the day Seohun got back from the hospital. And Kai swore that if he wasn't sane enough, he would've gone rock-climbing and jumped down to his death.      He didn't want to tell his father about anything that has happened. The older man never cared about his life anyway.      "Father. Just leave. I'll go back to work, okay? I'll return as co-CEO if that makes you happy."      "No you won't. You won't return like that."      Kai's eyes widened slightly, a glimmer of hope sparked in his dark orbs. He thought that maybe, just maybe, his father would finally let him do what he wanted.      But of course, things never go the way he planned.      "You will return as CEO, and your brother will again, go back to being COO. In three months time, I want you to go to Japan. To continue from where I left off. I will not let you make your own decisions ever again - not until the day I breathe my last." Mr. Kim walked, more like stomped, back to his car. "Make sure you and your wife return back to the office by next week. I want to see you."      And just like that, he left.     He left without letting Kai negotiate.       The latter male stood, paralysed.    What was he supposed to do now? He wasn't worried that he wouldn't be able to cope with work, but, how was he supposed to survive when these three months pass?      How can he survive with the thought that Seohun would be living under the same roof with Woobin, alone?      He slid down the front door, suddenly regretting every decision he made. From marrying the brunette, to letting Taemin take over, to the surgery.      Even if he were to bring back all the shareholders for one more meeting, surely they'd all side his father now that he's back. Furthermore, he knew that he wouldn't be able to go against his father's choices. Kai had caused enough damage in his old man's eyes already.      "How much longer, Kim Kai. For exactly how long will you endure?" He whispered to himself dejectedly, shaking his head.     ~"~        Kai was now standing in front of Woobin. The both of them were alone in the house when Seohun left to tutor little Tao at the centre.      "I need to talk to you, about Seohun."      Woobin rolled his eyes in annoyance. "What? You want her back? It's over Kai. She's not gonna remember who you are."      It took every ounce of patience left in his body to hold himself back from breaking the latter's jaw.      "Shut your bloody mouth." Kai growled. He hated how confident Woobin was. "I just want her to come back to work. That's all."      The taller male arched an eyebrow and smirked. "So? What do you want me to do? You want me to go tell her to go back to work and tell her, 'hey guess what, Kai's your boss but he's actually renting a room in our house'. Do you think she'd believe that you're just a tenant then?"      Kai sighed and plopped onto the couch. He really didn't have time to entertain Woobin at all.      "Please, Woobin. Just let her work for three more months. I promise I won't interact with her much. I have Chanyeol to handle everything."      The former frowned at his own words. He actually promised not to interact with his own wife.      Not only that. He was asking for permission from Woobin, who in real life, meant nothing to Seohun.      "You've got Chanyeol, that should be fine. So, why do you need Seohun? And why three months?"      Kai fumbled with his fingers and on his bottom lip. "It's my father. He just wants to see Seohun back in the office. And he'll send me away afterwards."      Woobin's smirk faded. Kai's father meant bad news. "Away… To where?"      As much as he wanted Seohun all to himself, Woobin knew that Kai's father would always burden him in some way. The latter had never smile whenever his father was mentioned.      "Japan." Kai stood up and went to the kitchen, with Woobin tagging along behind. "And knowing my father, he'd never change his mind even if he knows of Seohun's pregnancy. If he wants me to stay there for the rest of my life, then I will have to stay there for the rest of my life. But I don't think it'll be that long."      Kai got himself a cup of cold water and gulped it down in one go, attempting to soothe his burning heart.      "Of course this benefits you a lot." Kai shared his gaze with the expressionless male before him. "All I ask, is for these three months. And that's it. You'll have her by your side for the next coming years."      Kai's heart ached as his voice croaked out the words unwillingly. He walked to the sink with his back facing his old friend.      "Fine. But only for these three months."    
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter