three three.

Indispensable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    Those in bold = mandarin~!

***

   "How many days do I have left?"

   Kai looked up from the television and to his wife. "I told you. It's best if we don't count the days-"

   "Please. I just want to prepare for it." Seohun bit the side of her inner lip. "I know it's ironic that I don't do the counting."

   Kai massaged his forehead and sighed, turning back to the screen in front. "Two days."

   As soon as he said that, he heard a crashing sound from the kitchen. He abruptly got off the couch and rushed to where his wife was.

   "What happened?!"

   Flustered, the brunette squatted down to pick up the broken pieces of glass. She unconsciously clutched onto one of the pieces with more force than she should, causing her palm to bleed.

   Kai immediately grabbed a cloth and dampened it with tap water, slowly dabbing it onto the wounded palm.

   "See, I told you it's best if you don't think about it." Kai whispered to her, waking to the cabinet for the first aid box. He applied a small bandage onto the injury and softly planted a kiss onto it. "I'll clean this up."

   With that, the tanned male got hold of a broom and swept the shards of broken glass. Once he was done, he went back to their backyard where Seohun was.

   He settled by Seohun's side on the bench and held her hand. "You okay?"

   The brunette only frowned and shook her head. The date of her operation was just a few days away, she definitely wasn't ready.

   "Kai." She started, squeezing his hand. "I don't think I can do this."

   The tanned male heaved a sigh and stood in front of his wife, not letting go of her hand. "You promised me that day. You promised that in twenty-one days, you'd go for this surgery."

   He knelt down to get a better look of her face when she guiltily hung her head. "Let's not think too much into it, okay?" He cupped her chin with his thumb and forefinger, gradually lifting her head slightly. "Everything will be fine. I know it will be."

   She faced upwards and blinked several times before giving him a smile in return. "You're right. Maybe everything will be fine."

   Kai sat back down and pulled her into an embrace.

   "But, why twenty-one though?" Kai asked in curiosity. "Of all numbers."

   Seohun buried herself further into the embrace and shrugged. "Maybe because I'm twenty-one this year?" And let out a chuckle at her own statement.

   "Oh yeah, I've to go." She pried Kai's arms off of her body. "I've a date with Tao." She sang-song as she stood up, twirling.

   Basically, her previous days consisted of dates and dates, and only dates. They were either with Tao or her husband. But, most of her time was spent with the little four-year-old.

   Kai sulked. "You've been spending more time with him than with me." He folded his arms and frowned. "Let's skip today, alright?"

   Seohun chuckled but shook her head. "Tao's probably waiting for me," She said, shrugging. "Wanna come along?"

 

~"~

 

   "How's he?" Kai asked while driving.

   His wife hummed in confusion. "Who?"

   "Tao." Kai deadpanned.

   Seohun let out a small 'ah..' in return. "He's getting better, Tao's a bright child. But it's kind of sad, don't you think?" She sighed sadly. "I mean, he can't be adopted. His documents, birth certificate were never found."

   Kai tapped onto the steering wheel. "I heard, from Taeyeon. He lost his parents in an accident, while they were having a holiday. Everything was burnt to ashes. Nobody was able to contact his relatives at all." He recalled what his cousin told him. "It's miraculous how he managed to survive. I wonder when his birthday is."

   Seohun's body jerked up. "His birthday! I've never asked him of his birthday." She clapped once and made a mental note to ask him that later. Well, if he remembered. "Then maybe we should celebrate it together."

   Kai hummed in agreement and drove all the way to the centre in silence.

   "Zhouxun-jie!"

   Seohun heard a little squeal called out her name as soon as Taeyeon opened the door for them.

   "Tao! Have you been well?" She asked in Korean.

   The child looked up at her and cocked his head. "Oh I know this one!" He jumped slightly and clapped his hands. "Well have I been!"

   Seohun chuckled while both Taeyeon and Kai did the same.

   The brunette ruffled his hair and hugged his small body. "That's not how you say it. Come, repeat after me." She held both of his hands into hers and met their gazes.

   "I."

   "I.."

   "Have been,"

   "Have.. Been.."

   "Well."

   "Well."

   Seohun smiled. "Now, try the full sentence."

   Tao let out a huff and closed his eyes. "I, have been, well. I have been well!" He jumped in joy once he was able to pronounce the words correctly. "Oh! Zhouxun-jie! I got it!"

   The petite child ran off to his room and grabbed the few books that Seohun bought him. The three adults watched as he settled at the table in the playroom and began scribbling into his notebook.

   "Wow." Kai let out breathlessly. "He seems enthusiastic."

   The trio sauntered to the playroom, still observing how Tao earnestly wrote into the book.

   "You have no idea how excited he gets every weekday. He keeps on asking me when you'll come as soon as he wakes up." Taeyeon beamed.

   Seohun grinned back and walked up to the oblivious child. "What are you doing?"

   Tao glanced up at her and frowned. "You've never taught me that before.."

   Seohun giggled and shook her head. "Of course I haven't. Let me ask again." She sat beside him and pointed to his book. "What are you doing?"

   Tao's lips reached ear to ea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter