28.

The Not-So Perfect Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sitting across from your mother-in-law at the hospital cafeteria, you were nervous on what she would say and what she knew. You couldn’t even hold your cup of coffee properly and you felt a cold air between you both. She was fond of you, she liked you very much, and she was comfortable around you that she barely sees you as a daughter-in-law but as a blood-related daughter. Right now though, it seemed like you two were strangers.

“Tell me.” She finally broke the silence, “What’s your relationship with, oh wait, what was his name?”

“Mark?”

“What’s your relationship with Mark?”

“Co-workers. Their company owns a few stocks in our company.”

“Personal relationship.”

“Friends.”

“Are you sure that’s all?”

“Well, honestly, whether or not he was working in the company, we would still be friends. He’s close friends with my cousin and my childhood friend.”

“He’s Jinyoung’s friend?”

“Yes, he is. Jaebum and him met Mark when they moved to America a few years back.”

“I see. What a coincidence.”

You nodded, glancing around as the air started to feel a bit stuffy. “Do you love Baekhyun?”

“Of course, I do. Very much.”

“Would you have any intention on cheating on him?”

“No.” You muttered, “Of course not.”

“You and Mark, you two are close personally?”

“You can say that. He’s my only friend in the office.”

“Is Baekhyun close to him as well?”

“They’ve only met a few times, but he’s quite close with Minhyun.”

“He’s close with Minhyun?”

“Who isn’t close with Minhyun? Everyone likes him. Most probably because he’s a kid.”

“You and Mark hang out a lot?”

“Do you mean outside the office?”

“Yes.”

“No, not really. There were a few times but usually, he stays in my office when he gets his work done. He plays around while I do my work and when I go over to Jinyoung’s and he’s there, we hang out together with their friends.”

“Are you attracted to him?”

“He is attractive.”

“In a way where you see him as a man.”

“Oh.” You whispered. “Well?”

“No no, I’m not.”

“Is he attracted to you?”

“I… I don’t think so.”

She nodded and kept silent for a few minutes before speaking up once again, “If you aren’t attracted to him and he isn’t to you, tell me, what were you two doing together in the park, kissing?”

“Excuse me?”

She looked at you with a strong gaze, “Why were you and Mark kissing at the park? I swear, I couldn’t have seen wrong, the girl was definitely you and the man was him. I remember his face.”

“What? W-When?”

“A few months back? Two months ago?”

“I- Well, that…”

“Minseul, answer me. Are you cheating on Baekhyun? Did he find out? Is that why he has been down these few days? He hasn’t been updating me on Minhyun, he hasn’t even been coming to my office. I asked him to have lunch with me and he told me that it wasn’t the right time because he’s not in the mood. He only hasn’t been avoiding me. He’s been avoiding everyone in the company. I called Ms. Lee to ask what was wrong, if there was something going on at home, all she knew was that you two seemed to have an argument.”

You didn’t respond.

“I understand that couples argue, especially married couples and they usually fix their issues, but if this is the issue you two are arguing about, what’s going to happen? What about Minhyun?”

You finally spoke up, “The kiss, it was just a kiss. Nothing more. It was an accident. He kissed me and I kissed back when I shouldn’t have. I told Baekhyun a few days ago, he’s upset over it but I promise, it won’t happen again and I would never cheat on him.”

“You’re not having an affair?”

“Not at all.”

“Promise me, Minseul.”

“Promise?”

“To be loyal to Baekhyun for the sake of your family.”

“I promise.”

“Good.”

“I do l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter