Chapter 50

Innocent & Purely
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Reminiscing[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]Like It Was Yesterday[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]The story that Changjo was inwardly and undeniably broken, was a rich source of merriment for Dae Eun. They cuddled for a long period of time as the yellow shade in the sky faded to a blue. Things were patient between the two; just peace and resilience wandering their thought.

Still on the front porch, time seemed to have elongated in such as small amount of time. The only thing that brought them attentive to this was the chilled wind that hit their faces. Changjo kept her warm as his hand slid up and down her arm, but it’s not as though she was getting any warmer.

“Should we go inside Dae Eun-ah?”

“How am I supposed to face my dad?” She asked, completely ignoring the question.

He sighed, and Dae Eun couldn’t determine the sentiment of which he exhaled; whether it was a good sigh, or a bad one. Dae Eun felt relieved by a bit as he faced her and softly smiled.

“I’ll take care of it.”

----------------------------------

Dae Eun’s mother was in the lounge, pacing back and forth as her folded finger touched with her arms cross and her eyebrows knitted. The sound of a door shut completely awakened her in a second.

“Where were you? Do you know how worried I was?”

Her hands smoothed Dae Eun’s face, along the cheeks, checking for any bruises or scratches; none were traced.

“We were just outside. Did you even look there?”

“I wouldn’t even think about the fact that you two went outside. It’s cold, why would you go there?”

“I just…”

No words could come out of Dae Eun’s mouth, but her head wanted to spew out words. She froze on the spot and stood her ground. Changjo cleared his throat as if it was his cue to speak.

“It’s okay. I looked after her.”

Her smile was faint, but her worried expression gazed upon Dae Eun once more. All was interrupted after similar footstep sounds came closer to their circle. They recognised that it would be Dae Eun’s dad.

“Seems like you two have gotten a lot more comfortable with each other.” He said with his arms behind his back, strolling with pride.

His head turned to face Changjo, as he walked closer to him just to pat him on the back, praising the dude. Dae Eun couldn’t find the courage to look at her own dad in the eye. Almost as if she was prohibited not to. Her father noticed this and spoke.

“Dae Eun-ah. Don’t give me this attitude and think I’m the bad guy. This is the situation because it’s for the better. Besides, wouldn’t it be delightful to be wedded with Changjo?”

“It’s not like that.” Dae Eun mumbled, not being audible for the people around her to hear.

“I’m happy.” Dae Eun suddenly stated, hiding her true identity to her emotion as she faintly smiled.

“Good! That’s the spirit. It’s ok Dae Eun-ah. Things will get better.” Her father grinned.

“Sir… of course she is going to say she is happy and smile. But look at her in the eyes. She’s broken.”

Everyone turned their heads to face Changjo, completely gobsmacked at his comment that very well covered the truth.

“E…excuse me?”

There was no reply. Instead, the silence that differentiated worry, anger and hurt rebounded the imperceptible barrier between them.

“Changjo, can I see you for a second?”

Her father turned to walk as Changjo followed his lead, but not until Dae Eun grasped him by the wrist, catching his attention. She gave him a concerned and apprehensive look, telepathically messaging him of his cautious actions. He simply smiled at her and pried her hand off gently.

“I said I’ll take care of it, didn’t I?”

-----------------------------

“Changjo… do you mind explaining your little elucidation?”

“Sir… I’m sorry it had to come out that way, but… can’t you see it’s the truth?”

“What truth? She’s broken? Nonsense.”

“Is this… how you want your daughter to feel?”

“It’s complete and absolute nonsense! Dae Eun-ah needs to learn how to grow up and move on! The wedding is Sunday. I suggest you start preparing.”

“But…”

“Changjo… This is an offering. A chance for both our families to…”

“You shouldn’t be doing it for our families! A wedding… it’s not a favour. This is your only child’s wedding. All the business and the financial affairs of your company, the pressure is being put on Dae Eun’s shoulders since she is your only child. The least you can do for her is set it up with someone she doesn’t want to be with.”

“Aren’t you the least heartbroken by this?! How can you say this when you’re the one she doesn’t want to be with?”

“There… you understand. She doesn’t want to be with me. She wants to be with Jung kook.”

“Changjo…”

“I can tell you this. My family and I are happy the way it is now. There is no making it better. So you don’t need to repay us because we’re both standing here today. But I’d do like to say thank you for letting me see Dae Eun again.”

“I…”

“So cancel whatever plans you have for Dae Eun’s wedding… please.”

“I’ve already turned down Jung kook’s lecture, why should I go with yours?”

“It’s not Jung kook's lecture that’s important in my perspective.”

“Then why should I have to change my mind if…”

“Jung kook did all that hard work just to be with her. And I can tell you haven’t seen his full potential because you were caught up in doing all these favours for nothing. So please…”

--------------------------------------------------

There on the edge of a staircase step, Dae Eun sat patiently as her inner patience bit her. Her legs were propped to a 90 degree angle, shaking as if it was a habit to do so. She constantly kept glancing over the office door, closed and barred. Her mother was next to Dae Eun, eyeing her. She was also worried at the situation at hand but she couldn’t help but feel the least content that someone had stepped up to fill Dae Eun’s shoes.

“Dae Eun-ah. Don’t worry so much.”

She took her hand and squeezed it gently, as Dae Eun gazed upon her mother and smiled softly.

Just as she was about to speak, the door sounded of three knocks that echoed throughout the living room. This caught Dae Eun and her mother’s attention. Just as Dae Eun was about to get up and open the door, Hyun Shik bet her to it.

“I’ll get it~” He yelled.

This did not stop from Dae Eun from walking over to those doors along with Hyun Shik. He fixed his attire, cleared his throat and grasped onto the handles of the door before pulling it to open.

Dae Eun’s eyes fixed to be at awe at who was standing at the doorway.

“O…Oppa. Oppa?”

“Tis the name, although people who didn’t date me call me Jung kook.” He sarcastically commented.

He held a single daisy, clutched in his hand, casually dressed. Dae Eun observed what was in front of her, al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter