Perks of Being Your Friend

Lessons from Romance

“=====”

Luhan believed in good intentions, but he couldn't believe that Ki Chan, someone he barely knew, would want to wholeheartedly invite him on a vacation of his. Was it because of Namjoo or was there some other reason behind the invitation?

Luhan thought long and hard about it, but nothing reasonable popped up into his head. Oh the other hand he didn't think there was anything to be suspicious of. The fact that Chae Yoon would be there too made it all to dreadful for him to think about. 

Imagine that, he never thought he'd see her again; at least not in this kind of situation. Since she'd long abandoned him he had only dreamt of romantic topics with her, but who knew that seeing her smiling still so beautifully would aggravate him. Now that he wished he'd never met Chae Yoon again it wasn't like he could wish that she and Namjoo weren't friends. 

The week had started again and his schedule was stocked up with hours. He hadn't seen Namjoo since the day they'd gone out for a picnic. After laying around on her picnic mat she'd dozed off into a slumber leaving him by himself. While staring up at the clouds drifting by lazily he'd thought to himself how different things had become and in such an unquestionably short time too.

Before this...before this time with Namjoo entering his life he'd just sat around in his small corner. The existence of his parents had barely been felt after his mother attempt at suicide. Then his infatuation with Chae Yoon kept him off the borders of venturing outside his small box. 

That was all that had filled his life. Luhan realized that he was really dull and a bit small-minded. His life was really boring, like a sheet of paper with only a mark of a straight line. His life would be what others would regret upon seeing their life flash by. And he realized at this that he also did regret not doing so much because he'd been held down by his emotions. He wanted more in life; not just work, love, or fear; he wanted so much more, but no one had given him that opportunity. 

Now he was being brought out, being re-introduced to the world. His small mind was being opened and he was being told that even if he didn't want it; he would have to learn to understand various corners of the world in order to live. Pain was just something that needed to be accepted and he would have to learn to take it either the hard way or the easy way; just breathing and letting it go. It was a life lesson and life lessons were never easy.  

Luhan thought about it for a mere second. Both he and Namjoo had taken it the hard way. Looking at her made him realize that no matter how optimistic one lived their life; eventually something would hurt enough to crush their heart. Namjoo had a big heart, but she'd lost it all in a second. 

In all, the weight of pain just depended on how one reacted to it. 

There was so much more to learn. 

His night had simply ended with work and coming back solo to his home. Thanks to the ribbon he was now more comfortable after ditching his long sleeves. With nothing to do he'd just sat around in his room watching the TV he'd moved from the living room to his room. After a slight second he picked his phone up. 

Although he hadn't meant to become real friends with Namjoo, he was glad they'd come this far as acquaintances. She was good company after all. 

Without hesitating he asked when she picked up, "Work tomorrow?" 

"I start in the evening."

"Then...want to meet up in the morning for a cup of coffee? Or will you still be asleep?"

There was a sort of laughter as if to say he was being funny, but with dry sarcasm, "I'll try to be on time." 

"Good. I'll see you then." 

Luhan hadn't been on a good friend date like this since the last time he could remember. He forgot how exciting it was to look forward to something he knew he'd enjoy. 

"====="

Namjoo woke up early anyway even though their meeting wasn't until two hours. For some reason Namjoo felt afresh and relaxed, all in a good way. She hadn't felt so awake until today. It was a strange thing to feel this way. 

As she sat at the table with a bowl of cereal looking over the rest of the city from the window she felt an urge to drink a cup of coffee, as it was always her morning ritual. When the urge rose she set her bowl of cereal down to boil some water and finally sat back down minute later with a fresh cup of coffee. The singular almost unique smell of coffee beans drifted up her nose seductively. She loved coffee, but she loved sleep even more. 

After her meal she took up the whole couch and flipped through the channels lazily. For a moment she imagined herself as a rich heir to a famous company as someone who wasn't required to work and money would still flow in in millions. The mere thought of it was satisfying until she realized she would be late if she didn't get ready. 

Turning the TV off she walked to her room and was out the door minutes later. The café they were meeting at was a modern styled building with a porch out front. Four casual glass tables occupied the space under the black roof with vases of fresh flowers picked up from the owner's favorite florist. The doors had been left open that morning to allow in fresh air and to conserve energy the air conditioner had been turned off. Picture framed in black hung about the walls evenly of splattered paintings representing various animals. It gave life to the café. 

The counters were donned in black color and behind that coffee  machines buzzed. Namjoo searched around the even crowd for Luhan, but couldn't spot him anywhere. Wondering if she was late or early she twisted her wrist up to glance at her watch, but instead heard someone call out for her. Confused where the voice had come from she looked around foolishly before finding Chae Yoon who was waving at her. 

A smile popped onto her face as she walked toward her friend, "I didn't see you. You come here too?" 

"Yes, I was around in the area so I decided to stop by," Chae Yoon explained. Her eyes traveled around before telling, "I used to come here often with my ex." 

Inviting herself to sit down Namjoo felt open in awe, "Really? Do you still miss him that much?" 

Chae Yoon's head lowered a bit as if shy, but happy, "Yes." 

Curious, Namjoo frowned, "You haven't gotten in touch with him?" 

"Well I tried, but it seems like he's interested in someone else." 

Namjoo gasped, "That jerk..." 

Chae Yoon laughed a bit, which made Namjoo confused.

"I know, right?" Chae Yoon added. "I guess he doesn't even want to hear me out." 

"Who is he?" Namjoo asked aggressively. "Just wait till I meet him, then he's going to be on his knees." 

"It's ok." Chae Yoon continued with her innocent streak. 

"No, really!" Namjoo exclaimed. "Who is he?" 

"He already has a girl. It looks like she's already gotten her hands on him, so it's too late."

"Who is she? She must have brainwashed him! How can anyone choose just any random woman over you? Just wait till I meet her." Namjoo exclaimed. "Don't feel too bad, Chae Yoon. He probably doesn't deserve you anyway. You'll find someone better than him." 

Chae Yoon looke amused at first, but Namjoo missed the expression on her face. When she turned back to her friend she was back to looking glum. 

"What if I feel like he's the one? I mean," Chae Yoon went on, "I feel like it has to be him." 

Namjoo's brows dipped down her face in sympathy for her friend. What could she do? 

"Maybe I could talk to him." Namjoo innocently suggested. 

"Talk to him?" Chae Yoon repeated, sounding appalled. "Would you?"

The frown on Namjoo's face disappeared and it suddenly felt like she was more awake than ever. What was with Chae Yoon's tone? She sounded a bit...challenging; as if she was testing her. This feeling...felt like she was talking to an enemy - a bully who wanted to see her put her wits to test. It felt...threatening. 

Namjoo's eyes drifted over Chae Yoon shoulders when someone stepped in through the open doors and immediately a smile s across her lips. 

"Luhan!" She shouted waving her arm about.

She watched a smile drift over his face as he stepped toward her, but the smile slowly eased off his face once he neared. Namjoo felt her eyes fall over to Chae Yoon who had turned around to look at Luhan.

Were they feeling awkward with each other again? 

Conscious and aware that they might feel even more awkward, Namjoo stood up from her seat to take the one beside Chae Yoon. 

"Sit down," Namjoo invited.

Without greeting Chae Yoon Luhan moved over to take the seat in front of her. 

"Why aren't you greeting Chae Yoon?" Namjoo asked.

Luhan glanced at her as if he wanted to say something to offend her on purpose, but kept to himself. Namjoo snorted a second later. 

Turning to Chae Yoon she told trying to withhold the smile and the laugh trying to come through, "Did I tell you yet? Luhan says he feels awkward around you. I didn't think he'd be this shy. It's so funny to see!" 

A firm smile crossed Chae Yoon's face and Namjoo heard a mumbled laugh, which she didn't take too seriously. 

"Did I tell you about when Luhan almost killed me in the countryside?" Namjoo started and let out a shout when Luhan kicked her from underneath the table. Turning to him she questioned loudly, "What was that for!?" 

"Did you get anything yet?" Luhan asked. 

"No," Namjoo replied. "I was waiting for you to show up. You were going on about me waking up on time, but look who's late?" 

She heard Luhan grumble at her as he got up to go order them something. 

Keeping her eyes on his back she leaned toward Chae Yoon to quietly tell, "You'd think he's really held back, but once  you get to know him he actually talks a lot."

"Oh yea?" Chae Yoon pulled on a fake smile.

"====="

Luhan had just overslept a bit, but who knew things would turn out like this? Of all places he'd gone to since the breakup that he and Chae Yoon used to frequent, he'd never seen her roaming around. He thought she'd hated those places, but of all days; today? Chae Yoon was at their café today?!

To be honest, it ruined his mood, but it wasn't like he could directly do anything about it with Namjoo in the scene. Now he knew to be more careful from now on. 

It was a total struggle just chatting with Namjoo while receiving those back stares from Chae Yoon. Those angry shots from her eyes were enough to annoy him. 
 
"Do you work today, Chae Yoon?" Namjoo asked as they left the café.
 
"Of course I work." 
 
And Luhan couldn't wait until Chae Yoon left the scene. He was only glad that Namjoo was walking in between them, but as the mere thought came Namjoo suddenly walked around him to stand on his other side. 
 
"You two should get to know each other some more," Namjoo started. "It would be nice if you two would be friendly with each other." 
 
Luhan thought he saw Namjoo smiling up at him hopefully and he bit the tip of his tongue. It would never be as Namjoo wanted with him and Chae Yoon. This was even worse than awkward for him.

"So, Luhan," Chae Yoon turned to look at him purposely and he felt irritation at once.  
 
She was really going to play along? How dirty was she going to be? Wasn't she...too shameful?
 
"I heard from Namjoo, you went to see her father."  
 
He felt something splurge through him. It wasn't quite something near anger or irritation, but he didn't like hearing this from Chae Yoon's lips. Luhan already had a feeling he knew what she was implying and obviously, it wasn't good.  
 
"How was it?"  
 
"Chae Yoon," Namjoo leaned forward to get a view of her friend. "Why are you mentioning that?"  
 
"Well," Chae Yoon shrugged, "I just wanted to see if there's something going on between you two."
 
"I told you," Namjoo started, but Chae Yoon cut her off.  
 
"You know, women and men can't be friends." Chae Yoon smiled, but behind the façade Luhan could see so much more. She glanced at him then back to her friend, "Well you know, I'm just merely joking, but keep my words in mind. I'll go now. Have fun you two." 

Luhan watched her skip off unable to help, but feel that Chae Yoon was definitely up to something. If it weren't for the fact that Chae Yoon and Namjoo were long time friends, he'd tell Namjoo to stop seeing her.  
 
"Why? What's wrong?" Namjoo's voice brought him back. "You don't have to take her seriously."  
 
Luhan stared off into the street and quietly muttered, "Maybe you should."  
 
"What?"  
 
Turning to peer at her he asked, "Do you really know Chae Yoon?"  
 
"Of course," Namjoo smiled confidently, "we practically grew up together."  
 
Luhan would have to keep in mind how deeply Namjoo thought of her friend.

Dinner later?" Namjoo suggested. "My shift is only four hours long. I'll be hungry by the time I get out."  
 
He nodded and they separated. Throughout the day Luhan still felt ominous as if something bad was going to happen. The trip down to Haenam kept re-entering his head and wasn't sure if it wa because he was hesitant about going or if he didn't want to go at all, but was afraid he'd hurt Namjoo's feelings if he said no. Or maybe it was Chae Yoon.  


It was probably all those factors included together. When he opened the door that evening, expecting to see Namjoo, but instead found Chae Yoon standing on the other side.
 


***Important Announcement: My laptop is not working so I've lost everything I've had/worked on. The only things I was able to save on time are my stories, but even finding a computer to work on them is difficult. Updates are going to come shortly as of now. Sorry for the inconvenience.