A New View

Lessons from Romance

Pressing his lips even tighter together he stepped into the zone where he wasn’t wanted.

Namjoo and Kai were cooking. A delicious aroma was swirling in the air while Luhan gazed at all the ingredients sitting disorderly on the table and on the counter. There was a pan on the stove with something sizzling on it.

“Oh sorry,” Kai apologized and quickly removed some grocery bags off the chair, “sit down. Oh? You brought something?”

Luhan felt himself flush nearly embarrassed.

“O…oh yea…” was all he managed holding out the goodies.

Taking them from him Kai peeked into the bag before glancing over at Namjoo, who was sparing Luhan his shame by not paying attention.

“Look Namjoo,” Kai showed her the contents in the bag. “Now you’ll have something to eat when you’re craving for sweets.”

“Thanks,” was all Namjoo said taking a quick glance at him, which he pretended to not see by looking elsewhere.

When Namjoo turned toward the sink Luhan finally shot his eyes toward her. He was enveloped by a sudden gloom, certain that she was upset with him. For the first time he sensed an air of awkwardness between them.

Luhan didn’t like it…

“Do you want the meat crispy?” Kai asked.

Luhan watched them talk and felt slightly envious with the fact that the two of them could cook; it gave them something to bond over. He wanted to jump in and ask if they needed help, but thought that they knew what they were doing and his help would be useless.

“What are you doing?” Namjoo asked walking by to clear the table. “Sit down.”

“Do you need help?” The words shot out of his mouth.

“It’s ok, we’re almost done,” Namjoo brushed him off.

Luhan felt his insides shrivel up in guilt and shame. Sitting down as asked of him he watched Namjoo set the table quietly.

When Namjoo placed a bowl in front of him he quickly told, “It’s fine. I’m not hungry. You two enjoy yourselves.”

“What are you saying?” Kai asked. “Since you’re here just eat with us.”

The doorbell rang a few seconds later and he turned to glance out of the kitchen as if he could see who it was. Kai and Namjoo shot each other a glance before Namjoo offered to get the door. A few seconds later Chae Yoon appeared at the kitchen entrance, her smiling immediately disappearing from her lips as their eyes met.

“=====”

Namjoo wasn’t expecting a full house tonight. Tonight was supposed to belong to her and Kai, but there wasn’t anything she could do about who was here already. Besides all that, she wasn’t really one who could tell them to leave when they already took the effort to come by.

“I should’ve known you weren’t going to be alone tonight,” Chae Yoon commented walking in. “Do you mind if I eat too?”

“Oh…hi Chae Yoon.” Kai greeted upon noticing her. “You’re here? Did you just come from somewhere?”

“I got tired working on my new article, so I decided to stop by. Seems like someone got to Namjoo before I did,” Chae Yoon explained inviting herself to a chair.

“Really? What are you working on?” Kai wondered.

Grabbing one more bowl from the cupboard Namjoo placed it in front of Chae Yoon.

“Fashion makers,” Chae Yoon started before shooting her eyes toward Luhan, “and how it brings love.”

“Oh? That’s unique,” Kai commented.

“Are you done?” Namjoo asked walking over to the stove. Turning around she asked, “We kind of overcooked the meat, you ok with that Chae Yoon?”

“Sure, I don’t mind.”

After filling up all their bowls with rice Namjoo finally took the seat across from Chae Yoon, deciding that she’d be more comfortable sitting there than across from Luhan. Although she didn’t really have anything against him, she didn’t quite want to look at him. Deep underneath her skin, she could still feel her pulse tensing over what he’d told her the other day.  

“What are you still doing? Come sit down,” Namjoo turned around to see Kai still fussing over wiping the stove clean of the oil that had splattered onto it.

She watched Kai scrub the stove a little more with the wet towel and wanted to just drag him to the table. She would have done so if they were alone, but she couldn’t in front of the others.

Finally sitting down Kai apologized as he grabbed his utensils, “Sorry if it’s not enough. Namjoo and I weren’t really expecting company. Eat up though, it should still taste ok.”

As Namjoo lifted the spoon toward Chae Yoon said, “You must come over a lot, Kai.”

The tip of the spoon froze toward her lips as her eyes darted toward Chae Yoon. Namjoo felt her feelings squeeze itself between her lungs as she forced the food into and slowly chewed.

Chae Yoon was suddenly making her feel wary. Namjoo was more conscious of Luhan who was sitting on her right.

“Doesn’t it feel like you’re visiting your girlfriend every night?” Chae Yoon asked. “It must feel nice. Do you ever get comments about how you two look like a couple?”

Namjoo felt her gnawing teeth slowly come to a stop and glanced toward Chae Yoon. There was suddenly a dark cloud casting its shadow over her. It felt like an extraordinary dark shadow was consuming her. She felt placed in a high chair for others to laugh at and it made her feel uncomfortable.

What was Chae Yoon doing?

Like Luhan…was she trying to get some kind of message across?

No, Chae Yoon wasn’t like that. It was true there were some moments Chae Yoon went too far with her comments, but Namjoo didn’t think she meant it the way Luhan had. Namjoo knew her friend well and it definitely wasn’t that.

“Who cares what people think?” Luhan asked. “Why is it anyone’s business what they do?”

Namjoo glanced at him, some kind of relief flooding through her that he’d spoken up. The ringing of Kai’s phone broke the eluding silence and he excused himself before answering it. Namjoo felt her eyes follow him out of the kitchen wondering who had called.

Something about tonight was making her feel unwell. Namjoo felt like something was clogged deep within her and even if she tried puking it out, it would still be stuck there between her lungs.

“I think I have to go,” Kai stepped back into the kitchen.

Shooting her head toward him with hidden disappointment she asked, “Who called?”

“Mom. She wants me back.”

“Really?”

“Mm…” he nodded. “Sorry, I won’t be able to help you clean up. Eat my share for me, alright? See you guys.”

Namjoo smiled and waved at him instead of getting up to walk him toward the door like she would have. When the door closed Namjoo found herself thinking about how her night was ruined. Sighing discreetly she told herself to remain positive.

“Namjoo, I think my rice is cold. Can you heat it up for me?” Chae Yoon asked right before she could put any food into .

“Really? Sorry about that,” Namjoo apologized and reached over for Chae Yoon’s bowl. “I’ll just get you new rice.”

Dumping the rice into the garbage she opened the rice cooker for more rice and headed back to the table.

As soon as she placed the bowl down onto the table Chae Yoon started, “Can I get a napkin, Namjoo?”

Nodding Namjoo walked toward the counter for some and headed back to the table, “Here you go.”

“Thanks Namjoo,” Chae Yoon smiled up at her before reaching for the chopsticks sitting on her bowl of rice.

As soon as Namjoo sat down and reached for her spoon she heard something clatter onto the ground.

“Oh no!” Chae Yoon cried out. “I’m so sorry Namjoo. I dropped them on the ground.”

“Have you always been so clumsy?” Namjoo wondered starting to get up. “Don’t worry. I’ll get you new ones.”

“Sit down,” Luhan ordered scooting his chair back and stood up. “Just eat; I’ll get it.”

Namjoo watched Luhan walk toward the dish holder and snatched a new pair before walking back toward the table. Something about the way he carried himself told her he was angry, but why? Namjoo didn’t understand why he would be upset.

Handing Chae Yoon the new pair of chopsticks he sat down quietly before picking up his spoon to eat.  

“=====”

Luhan couldn’t tell whether Namjoo was playing stupid or whatnot, but seeing how Chae Yoon was purposely playing with her irritated him badly. All throughout dinner he felt quite frustrated and thought he was the only one feeling that way, because it didn’t seem like Namjoo saw what he was seeing.

He was currently helping them pile the dishes up while Namjoo scrubbed the plates clean and Chae Yoon would rinse. Behind him he heard the dishes clattering while Namjoo and Chae Yoon chatted away with giggles. It didn’t take long for Chae Yoon to act up. Quite a few seconds later there was a scream from Chae Yoon as water splattered off the back of a plate onto her.

“Are you ok?” Namjoo’s immediate voice questioned.

“Oh no! My shirt! This is new too!” Chae Yoon whined. “What am I going to do? Walking out like this is going to be embarrassing.”

Luhan watched her pull at her shirt, pouting.

“Do you want to borrow one of mine?” Namjoo offered.

“Really?” Chae Yoon’s eyes lit up.

“Sure.”

“Thanks Namjoo!”

Luhan watched her walk out of the kitchen happily before carrying the rest of the dishes to the sink. He wanted to know why Namjoo let Chae Yoon off the hook every time something seemed to happen.

Why? Was it because they’d been friends for a long time? Or was she playing favoritism because she was upset with him?

Without speaking he picked up the dishes Chae Yoon had abandoned in order to help Namjoo out. Luhan wasn’t sure whether he should speak first or not at all, he was still nervous. Sneaking a side glance at Namjoo showed him that she was paying him little to no attention at all. She was all too concentrated on cleaning her dishes properly.

Biting his tongue lightly he asked, “Did you work today?”

“Yea.”

“You must be tired,” he sympathized.

“It’s nothing, I only covered morning shift.” She replied all the while still not looking at him.

“What about this shirt?” Chae Yoon’s voice popped up behind them.

The both of them turned around at the sound of her voice and Luhan thought the running water suddenly became quieter and quieter behind them. His eyes immediately zoomed in on the shirt on Chae Yoon’s torso, immediately recognizing it as one of the shirt Kai had given Namjoo at his birthday party.

Luhan caught Namjoo staring at the shirt a little wide eyed, but refused to make movement.

Why wasn’t she saying anything? If she didn’t want Chae Yoon wearing it she should at least say something!

“It’s so pretty, do you mind if I keep it?” Chae Yoon asked; that smile of expectation on her face. It told him she knew she was going to have her way.  

Namjoo immediately clasped her lips together, her eyes suddenly going dim. Luhan felt immediately sorry for her. He couldn’t understand what Chae Yoon was up to. Either way, Chae Yoon probably knew the shirt was a gift from Kai…so why?

“Alright,” Namjoo said with a small smile. “You can have it.”

Luhan felt his insides explode and he immediately glanced from Namjoo toward Chae Yoon wondering what in the world was wrong with her.

“It’s getting late, I should head back to finish my article,” Chae Yoon started. “Thanks Namjoo! I owe you! Whenever you’re free, I’ll treat you.”

Namjoo nodded quietly before Chae Yoon suddenly disappeared from the kitchen and out the door. Even after the door closed Namjoo didn’t seem to move for quite some time. Luhan felt his heart go out to her; for not being able to turn down her friend and for giving away something that meant the world to her.

She should have said something… He knew Kai was important to her and that gift must have meant a lot, but Chae Yoon had taken it…and so easily.

“Why,” Luhan started when Namjoo picked up the dirty dish she was earlier working on, “didn’t you say anything? That shirt was a gift, wasn’t it?”

“It’s just a shirt,” Namjoo really sounded like she wasn’t bothered by it. “It’s fine.”

Luhan lightly pressed his lips together wondering what was wrong with her. If she was upset, she should at least make a stand. For once, he could finally see that Namjoo wasn’t ok with what Chae Yoon had done.

That shirt…that beloved shirt from her brother, the special one…Kai; Namjoo must have loved it a lot.

“Sorry,” Luhan broke the silence and immediately lowered his head ashamed. “You know…for what I said yesterday. I realize I shouldn’t have said it. Your feelings…are yours after all, so I’m sorry for upsetting you.”

There was another moment of silence before Namjoo lifted her head up to look at him and smiled wholeheartedly in a happy way as if she meant it. Luhan fell for it too; believing that she was no longer upset. It almost seemed as if she was already over his mistake and Chae Yoon’s stealing of the shirt.

“It’s ok,” Namjoo sounded happy, “it doesn’t quite matter if you were right or wrong. Being angry is just a bad habit. Don’t worry. I’m not angry with you.”

“=====”

Rummaging through Namjoo’s closet had brought to Chae Yoon a certain delight. And when she spotted those clothes from Kai she had felt a sort of victory over her face. In the end, Namjoo had let her get away with it so simply.

Namjoo was…so weak.

Chae Yoon gripped onto her shirt soaking wet from washing dishes and gritted her teeth as she waited outside for Luhan to leave. She had come over planning to bust Kai and Namjoo’s night, but instead Luhan was there with them. The mere situation had made her so angry, and he had remained so calm in front of Kai! What pretense!

She waited almost another fifteen minutes and chewed her lower lip more anxiously the longer it took for Luhan to leave Namjoo’s great apartment. Chae Yoon would do all she could to distance Namjoo from Luhan. She would show Luhan that Namjoo wasn’t a clean a person as he thought she was. Chae Yoon would show him her dirty side; that she was despicably in love with her brother. When Luhan knew what a shame she was, he’d leave her that second. In the meantime, Chae Yoon would do whatever she could to degrade Namjoo. In the end, Luhan would definitely come back to her.

Upon hearing the door open she turned to see Luhan finally leaving the building. Pressing her lips into a smug smile she started toward him confidently.

“Took you a while,” Chae Yoon commented. “Why? Didn’t want to leave your precious girl?” 


***And as we see here, Luhan is finally starting to see things from Namjooo's point of view.

***P.S. KaiJoo know each other's feelings, like said eariler; they don't need to say it aloud to understand it, they can feel it. I don't know about you, but I feel really sad cause they know they can't be together and are trying to make the best of their time quietly, but Chae Yoon and Luhan are invading their world. And obviously, Chae Yoon will take advantage of what she knows about them.