Growing...Growing

Lessons from Romance

When in the taxi outside Namjoo felt her heart race even more. She felt slightly suffocated while her thoughts made rounds around her head. The dream seemingly real to her created beads of uncomfortable thoughts in her mind. Becoming conscious of herself she wondered if she looked weird; dressed weird; or if her face was turning red. 

There was a zipping sound beside her as Luhan opened his backpack and dug inside it. Her eyes darted down when he held something out in front of her. Once her eyes closed in on it she recognized it as one of the few books she'd taken a glance at when they'd gone to the village supermarket. 

"You were looking at it earlier; I thought you were interested," he told.  

Forgetting all earlier thoughts she found herself smiling, "I wasn't really eyeing it, but thanks."  

"Really?" He asked and reached out for the book after she took it, "Then give it back. I read the first story and it seems interesting. If you don't want it, I'll take it since I bought it."  

"Forget it," Namjoo twisted her body away from him and held it to her chest. "It's a good book, so I want it."  

He snorted at her before turning to stare out his window. Namjoo felt her nails dig into the pages of the book as she clutched it tight against her beating heart. At the same time she thought this was what friends would do for each other.  

Friends...

At that moment she sunk back into herself again. Luhan was himself and she was herself. What did a dream matter anyway? They had always been close all along. Since when did she ever let a petty thing as a dream affect her life? A dream was just something made up, but was nothing to do with reality.  

They were finally on the road again after boarding the bus and Namjoo suddenly realized she missed her bed. A few days away from her home had been the right choice to make. Sometimes she needed air elsewhere to learn the importance of what her home meant. The trip to Haenam had soothed her somewhat. It felt as if she'd displaced the painful memories in her apartment elsewhere momentarily.  

Relaxed, she leaned back into her seat and turned to stare out the window. She glanced at the sea they were driving past, the green grass waving farewell along its side. Namjoo instantly wondered if it would be possible to see the land of Japan from here.  

"Did you have fun?" Luhan broke into her thoughts.

Namjoo turned to look at him as the corner of her lips drew up, "I usually ask that first." 

"You're right," he smiled back. "You do, but you didn't."

A breath of laughter escaped through her lips, "Yes, I had fun. It was a nice getaway."  

"Was it?" He questioned.  

"Mmm..."  

"I guess it was." He added. "I'm glad I came after all."  

"Yea?" She asked. "Were you not going to come?"  

"I knew I was going to come." Luhan stated, staring down the aisle. "I would have come even if I decided I wasn't going to."  

"What the heck," Namjoo said, "that doesn't make sense."  

He laughed shortly, "I guess not."  

Namjoo narrowed her eyes as she searched his face and shortly laughed along with him.  

"The trip helped me clear my mind," he told.

"Me too."  

"Lets have dinner later," he suggested. 

Namjoo's brow shot up, "Are you going to make up for the last one we didn't have?" 

"Sure, that too." He agreed.

Catching sight of the ribbon on his wrist she gestured her chin toward it, "You still wear that?"  

Luhan raised his brows confused before glancing at his wrist and held it up as if proud, "This? Of course. It's a bandage."  

"It still looks new," Namjoo commented.  

"I kept it in top condition," Luhan seemingly bragged. "You should get me a new one." 

"Don't leech off me."

"Why? You said you'd get me a new one. What about my candy? You eat it all?"

"I haven't even touched it," she lied.

"Then you must handle stress well," he said.  

"What do you take me for?" Namjoo contradicted, praising herself; smugly smirking.

And she recalled how on the ride to Haenam they hadn't exchanged conversation at all. It had felt awkward then, but all seemed so natural now. Perhaps she and Luhan had been meant to get along with each other this whole time. She was glad they were back to normal. 

They talked for a while until she suddenly fell asleep. When her eyes opened hours later the sky was b with stars and flashes of headlights beamed her way. There was a calm silence in the bus along with quiet shushed voices of chatter. Blinking her lazily sleepy eyes she realized she was leaning against something warm, not against the window but away from it.  

Lifting her head up she discovered that she'd been sleeping with her head on Luhan's shoulder. He was sitting back in his seat with his eyes closed. She thought he looked stiff. Clearing quietly, feeling her heart race a little; she quickly straightened herself in her seat and restrained her eyes from looking his direction. 

Why did her heart keep racing, making her feel weird? 

Namjoo bit her lower lip and suddenly turned his way before mentally slapping herself. Well...since she'd borrowed his shoulder after all...she could at least offer hers. Reaching her arm out she gently grabbed his head before allowing him to softly land on her shoulder.

Gulping, Namjoo felt his hair brush against her jaw and drew her fingers into her palm. He was warm, very warm...which made her sweat. And he was close...very close. 

Fluttering her eyelids she stared into the chair ahead of hers. As the bus drove over a bump in the road Namjoo hoped that Luhan wasn't uncomfortable and still asleep. She'd be embarrassed if he suddenly woke up and she'd feel sorry. 

Turning her head slowly even if she couldn't directly peer at him she felt her heart gush. Luhan was like a boy, but an adult at the same time...but what was he to her? 

"====="

The very second his head landed on her shoulder his eyes opened. He hadn't slept, he couldn't. Around Namjoo he didn't seem to be able to sleep very well just as he had been unable to last night after tucking her in. There was something about watching her wake up that made him never want to close his eyes.  

This time he hadn't slept, but had closed his eyes anyway to remember the weight of her head on his shoulder; the way her body seemed to lean against him as if he was her support. And because...he would be embarrassed to look at her after quietly holding her.  

Namjoo seemed to have this power to make his mind race, daring him to try and live again. If he couldn't, he'd feel small because she was so capable. And he hated feeling small, like a failure in front of her. 

Eventually he had to wake up when the bus finally arrived at the terminal in Seoul. For some reason Namjoo didn't seem to speak to him very well like she had when the bus started on the road. There was an air of awkward silence following them as they walked beside each other. The whole way toward the road outside, he could feel anxiety fill him up as well as yearning and regret. 

Luhan didn't want to split with her just yet.

As a cool wind flew by Namjoo finally turned to him, "I'm going to drop the luggage off at my apartment and visit Chae Yoon before I come over, so you go ahead."  

"Why don't we just go together?" Luhan suggested.  

"Ah...should we?"  

He quickly glanced at Chae Yoon's extraordinarily large suitcase and grabbed it from her. Heading over to an available cab he turned to look at her as if to tell her she had no choice. When they sat beside each other in the backseat again, Luhan felt a cheerful happiness fluctuate through him. To his dismay, they arrived at her apartment building faster than expected.

When Namjoo turned to open the door he quickly interrupted, "You're really coming, right?"

"I'll be there," Namjoo promised and smiled. "I'll see you later." 

He returned the smile at once and wondered if he was looking too excited. As the car started off he twisted around in his seat to stare out the back window. He wanted to watch Namjoo until she disappeared into the building before leaning against his seat. The night hadn't yet ended for them. The thought of dinner, just them two, sounded exciting.  

When he arrived at his apartment he immediately took to searching through his fridge. He'd make her the best beginner's meal he could. He needed to impress her at least.  

"====="

After dropping off her and Ki Chan's luggage she immediately headed for Chae Yoon's. Her friend opened the door slowly before hopping toward her bedroom. 

"You're already back?" Chae Yoon asked as Namjoo wheeled her suitcase in. "I thought you would have stayed another day." 

"Luhan and I decided to come back early," Namjoo explained sitting down at the corner of the bed. "How's your ankle? It's not to serious, is it?" 

"It'll get better with some rest," she assured. "The trip there was really short, wasn't it?" 

"Yea, but I had fun." Namjoo nodded. 

"Really? You didn't seem like you were having much fun." 

Namjoo stared at her friend. 

"I mean, you looked like you wanted to spend more time away from Ki Chan than with him." 

Namjoo glanced away then back at Chae Yoon, "I spent time with everyone." 

Chae Yoon only sent her a smile, "So did you make up with Luhan? I mean you two had the house to yourselves, it'd be kind of weird not to talk." 

"We're ok now," Namjoo smiled. "I told you, Luhan's not a bad guy." 

"At least you know that," Chae Yoon said, "you're so sure of it anyway." 

"Why would you say that? You met him for yourself a few times already. You always make it sound like he's someone not to trust."     

"Men," Chae Yoon began, "you can't trust them, Namjoo. Trust me, I know."  

Namjoo let out a snort, "According to you."

"Trust leads to treachery."  

Namjoo felt the light-heartedness fall off her face and found herself observing Chae Yoon, "Luhan...said the same thing."  

"Oh yea?"

Namjoo felt her eyes blink a few times and suddenly thought of the times she saw Chae Yoon and Luhan speaking to each other. 

"Are you sure you don't know Luhan? I mean...you two could've met a few times on the streets or something." 

"Then, did you ask Luhan?" 

Namjoo felt herself imaginably fall a step back. She felt as if she was being doubted; her trust in Luhan and her trust in herself. 

"Yea..." 

"What'd he say?" 

"That he doesn't know you." 

Chae Yoon smiled very calmly as if she wasn't surprised, "I don't know him either, but you know what they say; great minds think alike. Why are you so worried?"

"I'm not." Namjoo denied.  

Chae Yoon's piercing stare burned into her, "You are. You're worried about some other woman, maybe worried about his ex."

"No, it's his business."  

Chae Yoon shot her that sharp smile again as if she could read through Namjoo, "So nothing really happened between you two?"

Namjoo's eyes shot down to Chae Yoon's white sheets dotted with flowers.  

"I had a dream," she quietly started. "It kind of bothered me." 

Her friend raised a curious brow, "What dream?" 

"Kiss," Namjoo started, "I was kissing someone." 

"A man?" Chae Yoon guessed to which Namjoo didn't answer. Then crookedly smirked, "Luhan?"  

Lifting her head up Namjoo shook it, "Never mind, I don't want to talk about it. I have to go anyway."  

"Go where?"  

Sliding off the bed Namjoo replied, "We promised to meet for dinner. Anyway, since I've seen you I'll go now. Rest up, ok?"

When Namjoo reached the door Chae Yoon's voice stopped her, "Remember what I said. A man and a woman can never be friends."  

"====="

Chae Yoon leaned forward on her bed to listen for the door closing. When it did she gritted her teeth and reached for her phone.  

Namjoo had just practically confessed her feelings. She was at the point of no return with her emotions. That girl loved Luhan. 

Gripping her hand into a fist Chae Yoon could only wonder about what Luhan and Namjoo had done alone at the resort. If he really kissed her or not or if they'd slept together or not. She felt an insane flame burst inside her chest and wondered why Ki Chan wasn't picking his phone up. When a click finally sounded she heaved a hot breath.    

"What took you so long?" Chae Yoon hissed.  

"I have a life too, ok?" Ki Chan sounded irritated.  

"Namjoo just stopped by," Chae Yoon announced. "She proudly told me all about her feelings again. That girl of yours is gonna be all over Luhan tonight."  

A moment of silence before Ki Chan said, "What?"  

She wasn't sure if he was pulling her strings or if he really couldn't transmit what she just said.  

"They're having dinner tonight," Chae Yoon calmly said, "if you don't want her to go, no, I mean; you better not let them meet."

"Do I have to?" Ki Chan asked. "They could just meeting up as friends."  

"Did you not hear me?" Chae Yoon felt herself losing patience with his passive nature. "Do you want me to tell you that they've already kissed in order for you to understand the situation? If Namjoo falls any deeper, she'll never look at you."  

Another moment of silence.  

"You know what you have to do." Chae Yoon directed and hung up.  


***So will Luhan and Namjoo be able to meet up or not?

***At this point, they're all lying to Namjoo. She's already been lied to by her mother and Kai...ouch