Like a Dream

Lessons from Romance

He couldn't understand why they had to leave Haenam first. Most of all he couldn't understand why Chae Yoon was leaving Namjoo with Luhan when she declared she still loved him. Then why leave him with Namjoo? 

Ki Chan sat irritably in the airport staring hard at the flight board. No matter how many times he thought about it he really didn't want to leave Namjoo with such a jerk. How sad she'd be when she discovered Luhan had never sincerely been her friend; that he'd used her to get close to Chae Yoon again. Rubbing his hand against his forehead he realized he hated himself even more for not being able to do anything. 

The way Namjoo had looked at Luhan so longingly was now painful. How much she cared about Luhan as a friend for it only to turn out as this and that Chae Yoon, her very own best friend hadn't done anything to protect her. 

Poor Namjoo. For being used like this...Ki Chan would never forgive himself, Chae Yoon, or Luhan for putting her in this situation. 

"I called," Chae Yoon explained hobbling toward him, "Namjoo didn't answer, so I left a message." 

When he rose his head up to look at her he could only imagine the tears that would be streaking down Namjoo's painful expression. 

"When we get back to Seoul, lets fix everything so that you can have Namjoo and Luhan will be mine again," Chae Yoon went on. 

"Why are you doing this?" Ki Chan asked, staring blankly ahead unable to see the people walking to and fro busily. 

"Doing what?" 

"Why haven't you told Namjoo who Luhan really is?" Ki Chan wondered. "If you tell her who he is, I'm sure she'd back off right away so why bother putting her through this?" 

"She took him first." 

"Are you crazy!?" Ki Chan turned to her. "Do you think Namjoo would really just take him from you?" 

"Why wouldn't she?" Chae Yoon asked. "Deep down inside, I'm sure she's yearned to be in a relationship too. She went to Luhan first. He didn't go to her."

"Does that make sense?" His voice shook at how delirious Chae Yoon was. 

"You can't believe it because you're so blind for her," Chae Yoon stated with fire in her eyes. "You think Namjoo's so innocent, then ask her about her brother." 

"What?" Ki Chan felt his blood boil, his fist forming. 

Chae Yoon stared at him with her lips in a firm line, "But you want her, don't you? You want her so badly that you hate Luhan for being near her, being with her right this second; that they're sharing the resort you wanted to be in so much with Namjoo; that they could be doing anything you could imagine. You're boiling with rage, with anger, jealousy and all you can think about is Namjoo." 

Ki Chan's teeth chattered before he gritted them. 

"You can keep her from getting hurt further by listening to me, then she won't ever know who Luhan is. You got it?" 

He would never forgive Chae Yoon. He would hate Luhan for all eternity and he would protect Namjoo at all costs. He swore that even if she didn't love him, he'd split them apart so that Luhan would never harm her. 

"====="

"Are you cold?" Luhan asked. 

The sky had totally gave out now. A sheet of stars now hovered above them graciously, but the waves had not yet stopped coming in. Every time a cold breeze came by he wanted to shudder. 

"I'm fine." Namjoo spoke. 

She was on her second can and whenever she set it down he could hear her bracelet sliding down her arm. 

"Has he called you yet?" Luhan asked too curious to hold back. 

"Who?" Namjoo's eyes were starting to close. 

"Your brother," Luhan told unsure whether he wanted to speak that man's name. 

Scraping her thumbnail across the can she glanced down at the ground, "He must be busy, but I'm sure he's well. Kai is capable; he's the best." 

Luhan's eyes fell flat. 

"I waited and waited and waited," Namjoo's slurred voice told him, "and I'm still waiting. I keep thinking he'll call me eventually. He will call, won't he?" 

He hated himself for bringing up Kai. Namjoo was still so hung over him and she probably still hurt. Gripping onto his can he turned to look at her to discover that she was looking at him, waiting for him to say something. Luhan would have said yes, but caught his tongue when he met with her eyes. He wasn't sure whether Namjoo was looking for an answer she wanted to hear or if she was seeking some comfort. 

The cold air whipped past again and he thought of how her shimmery her eyes were, glazed in an abundant shine full of emotions. He wanted to hug her, take her hand, and protect her from her own hurt.

Staring back at him silently he felt his short breaths become calmer by the second before Namjoo slightly moved forward. The touch of her shoulder against his closed in. She was warm as their arms glued to his. Blindingly, he leaned in as well wondering if they were going to kiss as they had last time. 

The yearning in his lips was calling out for her skin and just when he about touched her Namjoo dipped her head down into his shoulder. His lips ended up brushing against her hair and he ended up listening to her snuggle into him with a loud, deep mournful sigh. Again, his heart was escalating in pumps. 

Namjoo...had excited him for nothing. Then after all, this was good too. He liked this.

Narrowing her shoulders up Namjoo moved into him some more, bending her knees up to warm herself from the cold night. Tingles spread through him and he didn't think he'd been so elated in such a while.

He was...happy. 

Closing his eyes he placed a peck on the top of her head and smiled. 

"Moron," he quietly said, "you knocked out too soon." 

Twisting his head to the side so that he might be able to look at her sleeping face he felt himself gush with warmth. Sliding his hand up from around her to cup her face he fragilely smiled. 

The reality that he really had her all to himself couldn't be any more real and he was so glad Chae Yoon had gotten injured. Otherwise he'd end up being pushed aside and he dreaded watching Ki Chan move around in Namjoo's eyes. 

"That's right," he quietly spoke rubbing his thumb against her face, "just sleep. Sleep for a long time." 

The next breeze made his shirt flutter and as if sensing it Namjoo buried her face into his shoulder, drawing her knees up even more. 

"Lets get you in before you catch a cold," he said and lifted her up, starting as slowly as possible toward the house. 

Time spent with Namjoo had gone by too fast. 

It was a regret.

The way Namjoo curled up in his arms, resting her head against him comfortably couldn't have been any more dreamier. Luhan almost felt empty again when he had to set her down onto the bed. Unable to just leave after tucking her in he sat down by the edge of the bed, reaching over to brush her hair with his fingers. 

If she'd stayed up some more they could have talked and shared the stars together. He'd wanted the night to last longer. Upon standing up to leave he suddenly paused in his steps and turned to stare at the bedside table. He recognized the wallet immediately, even in the dark and for a long time just stared at it. 

He...didn't like the existence of the picture in her wallet. How she carried Kai around as if carrying his heart with her...was a thought he couldn't fathom. Even so, he grabbed the wallet and opened it. A happily overwhelmed Namjoo standing with broadly smiling Kai stared back at him. 

When he pictured how before Namjoo would go to sleep every night, she'd stare at the picture lost in though he didn’t feel very good. That brightness he'd felt while with her quickly shined down. His person was miserable and it made him even more miserable. 

Namjoo's knight in shining armor...and he, the black knight, could never compare to him. Luhan turned to peer down at sleeping Namjoo with his heart sinking. One reality was that Namjoo would never be able to love him, share the same emotions as he had for her. The other reality was that she would forever wait for Kai until she grew old and withered away. 

Deep inside that pure heart of hers, there was no place for him. 

"====="

It was white misty, foggy around her. Namjoo felt herself stepping back in a body of water, a pool maybe? She could feel the warm water from her waist down and her heart beating excitedly. A smile crept onto her lips before her back bumped into the corner of the pool. Her hand brushed up someone's arm and gladly peered into his eyes. 

The mist faded and those glassy eyes of Luhan's appeared in her sight. There was a jump in her chest and she felt his toes move against hers as if teasing her. 

"I told you you can't run anymore," he said and every time his lips moved, her eyes intensely watched. 

"Who's running?" She asked, challenging; flirting with him.

A sly smile crept onto her face before he quickly leaned forward to take her lip into his. The warmth from it was excruciatingly heart pounding. Her lids opened when he moved back; his hand climbing up her face. 

Yearning enveloped her in his eyes and her soul immediately longed for him. The feeling, it was all there; ache, desire, eluding coziness, and perfection. What she wanted most was him alone. Even if her world spun around a gazillion times and no matter how many people tried stopping her, with him alone this was it. 

Namjoo was infatuated, head over heels, gone in too deep to back out.

Stepping forward an inch so that her toes were on his feet she tip-toed up to kiss him. His lips immediately pulsated into hers, his breath scorching the tiny corners of . She swore she wouldn't let him go and break off the kiss. Her racing heart sent her blood pounding through her veins, drumming against her skin as they flowed through. 

Their waists met when she felt his hand pull her closer, the kisses becoming deeper. Her lungs heaved for breath as his lips smothered hers leaving trails of wetness around . Through the open mouth wet kisses she could feel his tongue perk up into , running along her teeth. Satisfactory sounds melted throughout as she clutched onto his shoulder whilst their bodies moved into each others. 

The moment his hand grabbed onto the bottom of her shirt with an intent to pull them up Namjoo felt her eyes open. The sun was shining heavily into her room and she could make out the blue hue of the blanket around her. There was a smile on her face before she suddenly sat up alarmed. 

Her eyes swam around the room widely, shocked and confused. She could still feel her heart ramming inside her chest crazily and distraught, pressed her hand against it as if to calm down. 

The kiss...had felt so real. So real that she felt insane. The way those lips felt against hers, inside hers was still so memorable. How crazy was she to have dreamed about Luhan that way?! 

Leaning her head forward she rustled her hair up as if to straighten up her senses. She was honestly so embarrassed. 

Walking out of her room she first stared at Luhan's closed door hoping he was still asleep. As she neared the bottom of the steps she could hear someone moving around in the kitchen. Creeping around the corner so as not to announce her presence she poked her head around the corner to see Luhan grabbing some plates. He seemed focused on the task at hand enough that he wouldn't notice her.  

A sort of relief flashed through her. She suddenly wasn't sure she was going to face him. It felt...strange. That dream had ruined everything. Her train of thoughts was a mess.  

Why the heck had she dreamed something like that?  

"You're up?" Luhan's voice broke the barrier inside her mind.  

Slightly jumping she turned his way and fluttered her eyes. The shiny tiles belonging to the kitchen appeared in her eyes and she could make out the bright hue of the sun's reflection. Her heart punched her chest when Luhan spoke again.  

"Namjoo?" His voice...the gentleness there melted her heart. "Are you ok?"  

Breaking out into a nervous laugh she said, "Great! I'm feeling great!" Then quickly shuffling over to look outside continued, "It's shiny out today....I mean sunny." Then awkwardly laughed again.  

Without waiting for Luhan to say anything she turned and walked to the table to sit down, "Is that breakfast? Lets eat."  

He stared at her strangely before walking over.  

"Are you having a hangover?" He wondered sitting down. "Is your head spinning or something?"  

When he handed her some utensils Namjoo arrogantly reached for them, sweating immediately when their hands touched.  

Quickly pulling them back she said loudly, "What hangover?! I wasn't that drunk!"  

Catching herself she bit her lower lip, filled with the intent to slam her head somewhere. She was acting out of the ordinary, it was too obvious something was on her mind.

Instead of digging about it Luhan slightly laughed at her. Instead of feeling better she felt even more embarrassed.  

Stupid dream, she cussed and glanced up to suddenly peer at his lips before mentally slapping herself.

"What?" He asked. "Do you want to switch plates?" 

"No," Namjoo glanced away. "Chae Yoon called and said they already left for Seoul in the middle of the night." 

"Ah...is that so?" 

"We should go too." She spoke without looking at him. 

Silence engulfed the room as her eyes dug into every atom that made up the walls. She wasn't sure how to carry a conversation with him. He would look at her if she spoke and she'd feel like burying herself. That hot image of making out with him would enter her mind and she wanted to crumple it up no matter how hard it made her heart race. 

"Should we?" Luhan asked. 

"Yea..." she quietly replied even though at the back of her head a voice was screaming at her, telling her that she wanted to stay a day longer with him. 

Biting her tongue and stared down into her plate, repeating to herself that even if they went back they had all the time in the world to hang out. After gathering the dishes and emptying the fridge out of any contents they'd left behind Namjoo paced back and forth while Luhan worked on the dishes. For the first time she pondered over helping him or not. She'd always been first to do it before telling Luhan to help her. It was suddenly the other way around now. 

"Did you sleep well?" Luhan started suddenly. 

"What?!" Namjoo answered at once, loudly. 

Luhan turned his head around to look at her surprised. 

Letting out a short laugh Namjoo went on, "O...of...of course. I always sleep well." 

Adding another round of laughter she reached up to scratch her head and turned away to look elsewhere. She couldn't hold eyes with him at this rate. 

"Is something bothering you?" Luhan asked. 

"No." Again, she immediately replied. 

"You sure? You'e been jittery all morning." 

Laughing again Namjoo turned toward the stairs, "I'm fine. I think I should go pack up now." 

Racing up the stairs she shut the door to her room and heaved a breath of relief. She was sweating really bad and in front of Luhan too. 

Why? 

Confused and frustrated with why she was so flustered over a damn dream she turned to grab her wallet and her duffel bag. Stomping into Chae Yoon's room she grabbed her suitcase repeating to herself that it was just a dream. She and Luhan were just friends, there wasn't anything romantic between them.

A dream would just remain a dream. 

At the repetitive mantra she felt more relaxed. She felt confident about being normal around Luhan again, that was until she stepped out with Chae Yoon's suitcase behind her. Luhan was already in front of the stairs with his backpack and Ki Chan's slipped around his other shoulder. 

The very second he turned her breath stopped. Walking over he handed her Ki Chan's backpack and grabbed Chae Yoon's suitcase from her. 

"I'll carry that down," he offered. "Lets go." 

When he turned to head down the stairs Namjoo felt her hand tremor. There was exhilaration in her chest and she found herself thinking that Luhan was suddenly very manly.


***Poor Ki Chan getting dragged into this by Chae Yoon. Namjoo did indeed go to Luhan first, but he kept calling her back and she went to him when he called. Who's to blame?

***Poor Namjoo...only her subconscious remembers making out with Luhan hahahaha

***P.S. Thank you for reading and the constant comments, I really do read them. Sorry that the story is a bit slow, but everything will fall into place. I like taking different routes with all my stories as you know me, so I can't really make it so that everything suits everyone's expectations. The story has a life of its own. Anyway, thanks much for subscribing and the support. I'm trying to complete the story as soon as I can.