Hello to Misery

Lessons from Romance

The feelings weren't very clear or easy to sort out when Namjoo stumbled into her apartment. She felt stomped on...pitied by Chae Yoon and it didn't feel very good. Chae Yoon had made her sound dumb for finally coming out with her feelings. Worst yet, she suddenly felt unsure about Luhan. 

At the beginning it had been all about that girl who'd left him and how he wanted her around because she possessed his mother's touch. As Namjoo sat there on the couch counting the hours she wasn't sure whether she felt very confident anymore. Was she...getting too ahead of herself? 

She was sure that the way Luhan had held her discreetly had meant something. The way he'd looked and smiled at her...she thought she'd felt something through it. Was that really playing with her? Would he go all the way to doing things like come running in the middle of the night because she'd called? That was sincerity wasn't it? 

Feeling even more flustered Namjoo stood up and paced around restlessly. 

"Forget it, forget it, forget it," Namjoo rubbed her head, "you can't know if Chae Yoon's telling the truth. She doesn't even know Luhan." 

Pressing her lips together anxiously she forced herself to nod. There was no way Chae Yoon could know what Luhan was thinking. Suddenly the flashback of seeing Chae Yoon and Luhan talking to each other at the resort entered her mind. The two of them had looked at each other unhappily.  

Shaking her head aside she pushed the thoughts away. She could really only find out if she listened to what Luhan had to say that weekend. She would definitely wait to hear him out and if it wasn't anything that would hurt her, she'd tell him about her feelings. 

Opposite to her expectations she hadn't slept well the night before. There was a headache drumming inside her head when she woke up. Assuming it was because she couldn't sleep she got up anyway and grabbed something to eat. She wasn't supposed to meet with Luhan till evening so she had lots of time to spare. 

Leaving her apartment to grab a cup of coffee from the coffee house nearby Namjoo thought to clear her mind a little. She was feeling more anxious by the hour and she wasn’t sure if it was a bad thing or not. When she finally grabbed her cup of coffee she hugged the window seat to watch the scenery. Unlike the other sunny days, the clouds had gathered overhead forecasting a gray day with rain.   

Namjoo felt like groaning. She didn't want it to rain. It was supposed to be a good day, so why wasn't the sun out?  

Grumbling to herself she finished the rest of her coffee and quickly walked back to her apartment. The day seemed longer than any other as she rolled to and fro on her couch, flipping the channels tediously. She couldn't concentrate.  

What was it Luhan would say to her? Why wait until the weekend?  

Namjoo spent an hour pacing back and forth in front of her window, staring at the time before suddenly rushing into her room. Opening her closet she stared at her variety of clothes and suddenly regretted not being more into fashion like Chae Yoon, who knew how to dress pretty. When it finally came down to the day she needed to dress to impress, she had no skills.  

Grabbing a dress to try on she spun around in front of the mirror, but feeling uncomfortable grabbed a pair of shorts and a blouse. Recalling that there was a possibility of rain she went for dress pants and another blouse. Deeming that she looked overdressed she opted for her usual at last.  

Exactly who was she dressing for anyway?  

Throwing on a pair of jeans and a white tee she grabbed a thick cardigan in case it would get cold. Turning around she grabbed her phone to stare at the time. Sighing she sat down on her bed, tapping her finger on the screen of her phone before she felt something bounce on her arm.  

That was right. She was still carrying Kai with her. The silver bracelet smiled back at her with a sharp shine easing her racing heart. She'd heard from one of Kai's friends before that sometimes only falling in love again could heal a broken heart. Namjoo couldn’t understand the depth of those words. A person could fall in love with him or herself and still be happy. Using love to sooth a painful wound would only hurt. 

Perhaps, she would need Luhan to close up the wound Kai left behind. Namjoo had had a hard time coping without him, but then Luhan had stuck around for her. He helped clear her mind and he had become a big comfort in her life. He was also the only other person who knew about her feelings for Kai and he could understand her in a way Chae Yoon and Ki Chan couldn't. 

Hesitating, Namjoo slowly reached for the bracelet grasping its warmth into her palm. A long flashback of memories with Kai played in her head. He had been so special to her and she had wanted to marry him at a point. It had hurt as much as a knife plunging into her heart when she had to face the reality that they could never be lovers.  

For today, just today...she'd do without him.  

Grabbing her bag she walked out of her apartment and headed out.  

"====="

Luhan felt uneasy. He was more scared than ever today than any other. This was even worse than taking the college entrance exam. He most of all didn't want to see Namjoo's reaction, how her face might look after he said it. Would she hate him or tell him he was silly for being so afraid? 

The clock was ticking faster and faster. 

Yet, this was better than letting her hear it from Chae Yoon who could twist up words. Luhan couldn't allow that. Namjoo needed to hear the truth from him, because only he would tell her.

Getting up from where he was sitting he tried taking a step forward, but stopped. He couldn't. He just couldn't. Everything had been so perfect with Namjoo recently. How could he just tear up the picture?  

Clamping his eyes shut and twisting his hand into a fist he quickly walked out the door. If he wouldn’t do it today, he never would.  

They were supposed to be meeting at a hotel restaurant. It was supposed to be a simple dinner before they would talk. The atmosphere looked casually bright and inviting when he walked in. The red carpet with gold swirls gave off a royalty heartiness as he walked by. He spotted businessmen in suits sitting with their clients and singles quietly drinking cups of tea while looking over the daily stock reports. 

Seeing how calm and peaceful they were made him envious, because he couldn't put his heart to rest. He was uneasy the whole way. 

His steps would quicken and slow, quicken and slow until they finally stopped when he spotted Namjoo sitting at a circular table with a cup of water in front of her. She looked absorbed in the menu and didn't see him, which was a relief. He wanted to run away. 

When his feet suddenly pivoted back the way he'd come Namjoo suddenly lifted her head up, shooting him her broad smile and waved. Forcing a stiff smile on he nodded and started toward her.  

"You got here first," he stated nervously.  

He could feel himself anxiously sweating.  

"I guess I did," Namjoo nodded, her eyes peering around.  

Their eyes nervously met and Namjoo's shoulders drew up as she laughed awkwardly.  

"I've never been here before," she told.  

Luhan smiled unsure of what to say. Namjoo was probably waiting for him to speak about what he'd promised her to say.  

"Order," he gestured toward the menu she was holding, "you must be hungry."  

"Oh...oh yea," she nodded and quickly flipped through its pages.  

He watched her eyes quickly look through the menu and pressed his lips together. He felt sorry for her and was even more anxious. It could be the last time he was seeing her tonight...

When the waiter came they quickly gave their orders before resuming into silence as if it was the first time they were meeting. Perhaps it looked like they were on a blind date. Luhan wished it could have been a blind date.  

Namjoo's eyes darted around as he stared at the pure white table cloth.  

"How was your day?" Namjoo asked.  

"It was ok. Didn't do anything."  

"Me either." Namjoo awkwardly replied before looking around.  

Locking his fingers on his lap he searched the hall hoping that he could rid of this restlessness in him.  

"It feels weird today, huh?" Namjoo spoke up.  

"Yea..." he shortly answered.  

He glanced off into the hall again before turning to steal a glance at Namjoo. She was taking a sip of water and looked like an innocent child. He could tell she looked uncomfortable.  

"Lets talk after we eat," Luhan said. 

Namjoo turned to him and nodded with a smile.

After a moment she suddenly spoke surprising him, "I have to go to the restroom."  

"Oh...ok..." he nodded and watched her leave the table.  

Luhan stared off into the hall again for a few minutes until he heard loud footsteps approaching. He expected to see Namjoo upon turning, but instead saw Chae Yoon staring down at him. His eyes widened.

"What are you..." he started, but silenced when she grabbed his arm to lug him after her. "What are you doing? How could you come here?!"

Shoving him into an empty hallway near the kitchen where he could hear pots and pans clattering he stared at her.  

"How far have you gotten?" Chae Yoon immediately questioned.  

"What?" He narrowed his eyes confused.  

"I'm saying, how far have you gotten along with talking to her."  

"We didn't talk about anything yet." Luhan spoke through gritted teeth. "What are you doing here?"

"Good, that's good if you haven't spoken yet." Chae Yoon nodded. "The thing you have to tell her, you didn't do it yet."  

Luhan narrowed his eyes. He almost questioned how she knew, but stopped himself. Obviously Namjoo had trusted her friend enough to tell her. Luhan wanted to sigh the heaviest sigh.  

"Why? Are you trying to stop me?" Luhan asked.  

"Not you," Chae Yoon stared up at him with a stare he couldn't depict.  

There was something else she knew, but wasn't saying; that he could tell. It suddenly made him burn with curiosity.

A vicious smile suddenly grew onto her face before she pulled his collar and kissed him. Luhan felt his eyes widen, but before he could push her back Chae Yoon let him go. 

"====="

Namjoo felt hot for some reason, like her body was really heating up. Turning the cold water on she splashed some water onto the back of her neck hoping to cool herself down. That headache from early morning was starting to kick in again. 

Groaning in pain Namjoo leaned down onto the sink hoping to regain herself in a few minutes' time. When she finally walked out Luhan was missing from the table. Confused, she turned to look both right and left.  

When the waitress who'd taken their orders arrived with their food Namjoo asked, "Do you know where the man who was sitting here went?"  

"Ah...I think he went that way with someone." She replied pointing down a hall.  

Namjoo stared down the direction she was pointing, thanked her, and slowly treaded down the carpet. Luhan wouldn't have left just like that. Curious, Namjoo started down the hallway slowly before she recognized Luhan's voice. A smile appeared on her face when she neared the intersecting hallway and turned, but the smile fell just as quick as it appeared. 

There was someone else there with him....a woman...

Her jaw dropped when she saw them kiss and Namjoo felt her heart become heavy. Maybe...this wasn't him...

The noises from the kitchen behind her deafened when she saw Chae Yoon stare back at her. 

"Enough is enough," Chae Yoon switched her eyes back to Luhan. "No more games. You wanted to get me back, you got me, so let Namjoo go. Before she falls for you even more, stop playing with her already." 

"Are you crazy?" Luhan asked. 

"Why do you keep hurting her? Stop lying to her already, you've had your fun. What more do you want? Do you want to sleep with her or something?" Chae Yoon questioned throwing an upset expression on. "You wanted to use her to see me again, didn't you? I'm already here. Don't hurt my friend anymore. You won, you won Luhan."  

Namjoo's mind was a blur and she felt her heart constrict. It was painful and she couldn't understand what it was that Chae Yoon was saying. 

"Just go Chae Yoon." Luhan ordered and started to turn around, but Chae Yoon grasped onto his arm. 

"I," she stared up into his face, "love you."

"Stop bluffing."

"I know you love me too. I was always the only one in your heart. Don't be angry at me anymore. Stop using Namjoo to make me jealous!" Chae Yoon raised her voice.

The rubber door leading to the kitchen opened and Namjoo felt one of the kitchen man walking out accidentally bump into her. Losing balance she fell onto the floor. This time her head swirled even harder and she felt like crying out in pain, but gritted her teeth.

"Oh no...I'm so sorry," the plump man apologized pulling her up. "Are you ok?" 

Namjoo's hair flung over her face when she stood up and glanced at Luhan. His eyes were wide, but he only stared. Immediately turning away with her heart burning Namjoo jolted down the hallway on impulse - the only thing she could do, grabbed her bag, and ran out. That was the only thing she could think about it; escape, run away. 

She was confused, she couldn't think straight. She couldn't tell what had happened. She was lost...

As she escaped into her car she felt her hands tremble while trying to insert her key into the ignition. Where was the logic she needed? Where was the control she had over herself? Once her engine roared, she sped into the road gripping the wheel as hard as she could. She couldn't tell whether she was more pissed off or hurt.  

Braking hard at a red light Namjoo felt her body fly forward into the wheel realizing she hadn't pulled the seatbelt over herself, but that was the last thing she could care about. Tears streamed down her face uncontrollably for some reason she couldn't make out and angrily wiped it away with her sleeve.

Why was she crying?

For about an hour she sat in her car on the side of the street breathing in and out heavily while staring at the road ahead. Her mind had blanked out and she couldn't think. She'd lost her reason for even being where she was. Finally getting out instinctively, she walked into the convenience store and searched the drink aisle before grabbing a case of beer. It was the first time in her life that she was buying drinks for herself.  

"Are you ok?" The man behind the register questioned, observing her curiously.  

Namjoo was aware that she looked like a mess. Her hair was now tangled up, her face a bit red. Her eyes were probably swollen too.  

Snatching the money from him she grabbed the case and walked out without thanking him.  

"====="

"You're not going after her?" Chae Yoon questioned still standing there with him.  

Luhan felt his blood boil, but he was even more shocked with how things had turned out. He hadn't envisioned it like this.  

Chae Yoon snorted at him and crossed her arms, turning to look at the side.  

Even if she was there she wasn't really there in his sight. The way Namjoo had looked at him...burned. How long had she been standing there? How much had she heard?  

His teeth shook and he gulped before slowly turning, starting down the hall. He couldn't think of anything, he couldn’t think of anything at all. He was a solid shell without a brain.     

"Where are you going?" Chae Yoon followed him, suddenly innocent to what had just happened.  

His heart raced at the very pain Namjoo had looked at him with. Those eyes had held disbelief while asking him for the truth he couldn't give. His steps slowed when he reached the table and saw that their dinner was sitting on the table unaccompanied by those who had ordered it.

Namjoo...had left. She'd left him.  


***Chae Yoon wanted to stop Namjoo from telling Luhan her feelings and as expected, Namjoo finds out in the worst possible way. Now time for some crazy